Home » Literary works » Script » Dramatic

16+

Forever and Always (I wrote this over two years ago)

by roeckercody

Harold: He is dying of cancer, he has been suffering for a while but they just found out about it not too long ago. He is a cold person, but has a sweet soft side that comes around when his wife of 65 years Edith is around.

Edith: She is a sweet caring individual that wants the best for everyone. She is very nurturing and loves her husband of 65 years, Harold, indefinitely.She is in very good health for her age.

Doc Martin: Harold’s doctor has the best interests of the patient and the patient only in mind. He will do what the patient wants.

Nurse Nancy: She is Harold’s nurse and is always in a hurry. She absolutely hates her job, and that hatred shines into her character.

H: Doctor, can I have some time alone with my wife, please?

D: Of course, I’ll come back in about an hour with the results of how bad the cancer actually is. If you need anything, just buzz, and we’ll send our best nurse in. (Doctor exits the room leaving Harold and Edith alone together to talk.)

E: Harold, no matter what happens, I love you to the moon and back and I always will, forever.

H: I love you too Bonbon. (He tries to smile, but winces in the process because of the pain he is in) It hurts. I can’t stand it.

E: You’ll make it through it. You’re as strong as an ox. Remember that time at the coliseum, when that bull tried to ram you into a wall, and you defended yourself? Sure, you broke 15 bones in the process but you made it out alive. If you can survive that, you can survive anything.

H: That was pure luck. I should be dead now, and this is Mother Nature’s way of biting me in the butt.She’s coming back to get me. We need to face the inevitable, I’m going to die and that’s just how it is.

E: Don’t talk like that Harold, everything will be alright. Now, let’s get your mind off of all this death nonsense, you are living and you are going to for at least ten more years. That’s the facts. Let’s look on the positives in life, remember when we first met?

H: Of course I do. That was the best day of my life. I remember like it was yesterday. It was our junior year, and we were leads in the best musical ever, Footloose. I was Ren, and you were Ariel. I fell for you during that musical, and we’ve been together ever since.

E: The best day of our lives. We fell and love and now we’ll be together forever and always. (Edith smiles and grabs Harold’s hand and squeezes it.)

H: Always and forever.(Squeezes the hand back softly.) I Love you.

E: I love you too.

(There is a knock on the door. The door opens to the nurse coming into the room.)

N: My name is Nurse Nancy, anything you need? If you don’t need anything that would be greatly appreciated because I need to go for a smoke.

E: Actually ------

N: (interrupting) Okay, so you don’t need anything? I’ll be on my way; Doc will come when he comes. So if you need anything, don’t press the button, wait for him. Okay, bye. (She leaves the room)

H: Well, that girl was a witch. I needed some water.

E: I know, sweetheart. Just press the button.

(Harold presses the button multiple times)

D: (Doc runs in) Harold, what do you need?

H: Can you get me some water? I need some water.

D: That’s all? Sure, I’ll send Nancy to do it. I’ll be back in a few minutes with the test results.

E: Doc---- (Doctor exits the room in the middle of Edith trying to talk to him.)Damn it anyways.

H: It’s okay Honey Bunches. I’ll be okay. Wait, who am I kidding? I’m going to die, and that’s just it. Why am I trying to stay positive when there’s no point to it? I’m already dying as we speak, and I could be dead any moment. Yet, we are sitting here and I am asking for water! Why? Give it to someone who has a chance of living! Don’t waste it on me. I already know I’m going to heaven so why not just let me die already! There’s more to life then just how many years you “live” your life, living is more than this, it has more meaning than slowly withering away in a hospital bed. If I’m going to die I want to die my way. I don’t want to hurt anymore, and I can’t live like this.

E: Harold… Don’t say that. You will tackle this cancer and beat it, just like you’ve beat every other disease and hardship Mother Nature’s thrown your way. I believe in you sweetheart, you got to believe in yourself too. Everything will be fine.

H: If you say so (he mutters in disbelief)

(The doctor walks into the room with a grim look on his face)

D: Edith, can I talk to Harold alone for a little bit?

E: (tries to protest) Buuu---

H: (Cuts Edith off.) It’s okay; just wait outside for a second. (Edith leaves the room, just a tad bit angry.) What do you need to tell me?

D: I’m not one to keep the truth lingering to myself, so I’ll come out and say it. Harold, you have two more weeks to live. I wanted to tell you while you were by yourself because I wanted you to be able to tell your wife yourself, and together decide what you guys would like to do. Is there anything you need before I go?

H: No, thank you.

D: Okay, I’ll send Edith in to talk to you. (Doc starts to leave the room.)

H: Doc?

D: Yes?

H: Do me a favor, and come back in about thirty minutes.

D: Okay, just press your buzzer when you need me. (Doc smiles and turns away to leave.)

H: One more thing. (Harold hesitates...) Bring some morphine with you please.

D: What for? (Doc thinks about it…) I’ll let you think about it first, alright? I’ll send Edith in to talk to you. (Doc leaves, and Edith enters a few moments later)

E: What did he say? Are you going to be okay? Is the cancer gone? Is it good news? (She is frantic as she asks these questions. She cares dearly for her beloved)

H: I am going to live for a little while longer, not too long but I will for another month. (Harold tries not to get caught in his lie)

E: A month? I can’t lose you Harold. You mean the world to me, you can’t—(she sobs) you are the best damn thing that has ever happened to me in my whole life, and if I lose you, my life will be over. You are my life, and my whole entire world. I need you. I would die of heartbreak Harold. If there is anything we can do to even possibly have a chance of saving you, we must take it. Even if it is the smallest chance in the world, with a 1% success rate. You are that important to me. I love you more than you will ever know, and if I lose you now, I don’t know what I will do. Stay alive Harold… please.

H: I’ll try. That’s the best I’m going to be able to do. My death is inevitable, but the moments of my life ending, I want to spend them with you. I want my last vision to be your smiling face over me. I just want to be with you by my side, forever and always.

E: I will be by your side, always and forever. I love you.

H: I love you more.

E: I love you most. (Edith smiles) I’ll be right back sweetheart. (Kisses his forehead) Stay safe.

H: I will. (He smiles)

(Edith exits the room, and after about ten minutes Harold presses the buzzer multiple times. After a couple of minutes the doctor comes in with some water and with what Harold asked for.)

H: Hello Doc, did you bring what I asked?

D: Yes, I did Harold. Are you sure that this is what you want? Think about it; are you absolutely positive this is the right thing to do?

H: I’ve thought about it long and hard. This is what I want. I’m going to die when I want to and I’m going to die my way. My way is this and my time is now. I’ve considered the pros and cons. I love my wife and I can’t let her see me like this any longer. Inject the morphine into my system; make sure to put in enough.

D: But Harold-----

H: Don’t “But Harold” me. Just do what I asked. Please.

(The doctor walks slowly over to the IV and as he’s about to inject the morphine he stops.)

D: This is your last chance to change your mind, if you go through with this there is no turning back, and there is nothing we can do to reverse the consequences. I’m going to ask you one more time, Are you sure this is what you want to do?

H: I…. (He hesitates for a second or two) I’m sure, just do it.

D: Alright, You lived a long life Harold, and a good one by the looks of it. Since this is what you want, I will do it. I just want to let you know that this is going to be difficult for me to do. I think all of us here at this wonderful hospital have come to love you like you are part of our family and we will all miss you dearly. It will take a little to kick in. We love you Harold, and goodbye.

(Doc injects the morphine into the bag so it starts to pump into his veins. He kneels down next too Harold as his heart beat on the heart monitor begins to slow, until the beating is at an extremely slow rate. As the doctor is beginning to stand up, Edith enters the room, and realizes that her husband is dying.)

E: Doc…. What are you doing here? Oh god… Harold? (Kneels down next to Harold’s bed. And takes his hand in hers) Harold? Please stay with me. Har--- (She starts emotionally breaking down, realizing the inevitable is here as the heart monitor dies and he is officially dead.) No. This can’t be happening (hyperventilating.) Doc... Do something! Do anything! Why is this happening? (Her anger is shining through her sadness and despair) Doc! Don’t just sit there do something! SAVE HIM. Do whatever it is you have to do just bring him back to me! DOC! (The anger changes to complete and utter mental breakdown. She huddles in the corner of the room and rocks back and forth, for this is too hard for her to handle. As the lights dim she blubbers her last words to him.) Harold, I love you to the moon and back, Forever and always.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:02 pm
HazelGrace16 wrote a review...

I really loved this piece. Overall my only huge complaint would have to be the flow at times. I for one have never written a script before so I guess I don't know how hard it is. You have real potential as a script writer, and I hope to see more from you. The characters felt very real and I felt myself feeling very emotional at the end. Edith's reaction broke my heart. Very well written and very heart wrenching. Great job!

ThatAndalite wrote a review...

Heartbreaking - that's my word for this piece. I would have loved to hear about more from when Harold and Edith were younger and what their love was like then, but that's not what this is about. As for the morphine overdose and death, excellent. I applaud you for having a doctor who would actually listen to his patient's will. Today you can't get that, especially if you don't have a terminal illness. How I wish those with depression had an option like that. ;-; Sigh. But alas, that's a part of the illness. Good job, and keep writing!

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:54 pm
MaddieNicolette wrote a review...

It would be cool if you had a flashback to when they met with younger actors.

maybe for the Nurse, you should make it a little more subtle... im not sure a nurse would actualy act like that.

I wanted to learn more about the nurse, or at least heard from her a little more.

All In all it was a great, quite sad, and wanted Harold to tell his wife.

Your plays really scream truth, reality. I really enjoyed this.
Maddie

Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:27 am
RosalieNoble wrote a review...

You really love your dark themes don't you? Haha

Well, for one, I liked it. I had no idea Morphine could actually kill you. One thing I was thinking about though was how the doctor knew that Harold wanted to kill himself. I know a lot of cancer patients will request morphine to ease the pain a little bit so I was curious as to why or how the doctor's mind jumped to Harold's conclusion. I'm sure it will come across better on stage, but maybe you could add something so that the actors know right away how to portray it--whether it be stage directions (Harold gives the Doctor a pointed look. The Doctor looks confused and then his face clears with realization.) or a small bit of added dialogue detailing his plan.

I felt like these people were all flat characters, which to be fair, most scripted characters are until they are matched with their actors, who breath backstory and visible emotions into them. The plot however, is quite good. Almost seems like a Senior Spotlight script!

My only other two cents here is in one of Harold's lines he asks the Doctor to come back in thirty minutes or so and in a stage direction after that it states that he "waited about ten minutes..." On stage even ten seconds of silence feels like an eternity--if not that someone has forgotten their line or didn't come on when they were supposed to. As an audience member I wouldn't want to sit around watching some guy fiddle with his fingers or the tubes in his arms for ten whole minutes. Consider revising the time? No more than fifteen seconds, unless he is actually doing something on stage like visibly thinking things through or pacing (which in retrospect he probably can't when he's only got a few weeks left... but something of that matter).

Oh! I absolutely LOVED the nurse. She had one line and I loved how sassy it was! Haha. I also liked how you used theatre to get the couple together and how it was Footloose! I love that musical.

All in all I really liked your script! Just a few grammatical revisions and I am sure you could use this for something like Senior Spotlight ;)

Rosalie

Science is the best idea humans have ever had. The more people that embrace that idea, the better.
— Bill Nye