z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Billowing Oak

by fleuralplants


A billowing oak stood alone

On a sullen, windy night -

With the billowing oak lit up

Against the black sky by the pale moonlight.

The billowing oak rustled;

Listening intently to the sounds of the night:

A wolf howling, searching for it’s pack,

A car driving by, searching for home,

And another lonely tree, waving off in the distance.

~

But still, the billowing oak was lonely,

With only the Moon as its one true companion.

~

A billowing oak stood strong and alone

On a scorching summer’s day -

With the billowing oak lit up

Along with the sky by the beaming sunlight.

The billowing oak rustled once more;

Eavesdropping in on the sounds of the day:

Children playing together,

Friends walking by,

And people on bikes zooming past -

Paying no attention to the solitary oak.

~

But still the billowing oak was lonely,

Left with the Sun as it’s only companion.

The billowing oak waited,

Rustling its leaves as people droned by,

Still paying the oak no attention.

Two teenagers, friends, unlike the rest, passed by this lonely oak.

‘Finally’, the lonely oak thought, ‘I’ve been noticed’.

They took a seat on the wooden, worn down benches beneath the leaves of the tree and at last,

Someone had paid attention to the tree who had become an expert on loneliness.

~

The billowing oak was content,

as the loneliness it had once felt had been washed away by its new friends.

Finally, the oak had friends other than the Sun and Moon,

Who weren’t friends with the oak willingly. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 47
Reviews: 56

Donate
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:19 am
izzywidgeon wrote a review...



Hey!
MintyLeaf here to give you a review.

Let me say that I loved the imagery you conveyed in this piece. You made me feel bad for a tree, that's something new. It was very clear that the tree had seen very much in its long life, and no one has ever paid it any mind in return. I feel like people look down on trees because they're everywhere, they hold no importance to some.

"The billowing oak was content,

as the loneliness it had once felt had been washed away by its new friends.

Finally, the oak had friends other than the Sun and Moon,

Who weren’t friends with the oak willingly."

This was my favorite stanza, because it shows that while the tree's happiness is legitimate, its' friendships are not. It's so bittersweet.
I think you were robbed of a win; you should consider publishing this to a magazine like TeenInk, or something.
Again, I loved this piece!

Cheers,

-MintyLeaf <3






Thank you so much!



User avatar
278 Reviews


Points: 18564
Reviews: 278

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:01 pm
LittleLee wrote a review...



Hello, fleural!

It's nice to see a nature poem that personifies something rather well. Overall I did like the thought behind it and the descriptions, but there a couple of things that need to changed, in my opinion.

One, as niteowl said, is the overuse of "billowing oak." Only once have you replaced "billowing" with something else. You could have done that, and used "billowing oak" only at the beginning and the ending of the poem. And while this image kiiiiiiind of works, because it brings to mind an undulating, waving tree, it still isn't the best word to use.

You seem to have mixed up "its" and "it's." The difference is, "it's" is the shortened form of "it is," while "its" implies a sense of belonging; belonging to "it." Here's hw you use them in sentences:

"The cat likes its food hot."

"It's going to be a rainy day."

I hope that helps. You gotta replace two "it's"s with "its."

With the billowing oak lit up

Against the black sky by the pale moonlight.

This is a phrase, not a complete sentence. It needs to be revised.

A car driving by, searching for home,

Eh. Feels like the car has been personified, to be honest. I'm not too keen on that.

On a scorching summer’s day -

What a lovely little alliteration. It caught my eye. :D

The billowing oak rustled once more;

I don't see the requirement of a semicolon here. I think it ought to be a comma.

Paying no attention to the solitary oak.

~

But still the billowing oak was lonely,

The first line just pointed out how the oak is ignored, so why would you say, "But still it was lonely?" That's kinda self explanatory.

They took a seat on the wooden, worn down benches beneath the leaves of the tree and at last,

Someone had paid attention to the tree who had become an expert on loneliness.

Touching lines, but too long. Split them into shorter ones.

Finally, the oak had friends other than the Sun and Moon,

Who weren’t friends with the oak willingly.

Eh, what? I didn't get this at all.


That's all for now. I feel like this poem does have a lot of potential, but I would call this a draft. You can make it much better. I still enjoyed reading it though, so don't get me wrong.

I hope my review helped.
Keep writing!

- Lee






Thanks for the feedback!



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:12 am
View Likes
niteowl wrote a review...



Hi there fleuralplants! Niteowl here to review this lovely poem.

Overall, I like this concept. We have the tree witnessing life in all its glory and yet feeling lonely, but there's a hopeful tone at the end with the oak finding people to notice it. There's also some great lines, like "A howling wolf, searching for its pack/A car driving by, searching for home" and "eavesdropping on the sounds of the day".

However, I feel like the poem doesn't flow as well as it could. The first two lines feel like they're going to set up a rhyming poem, but then the rest doesn't rhyme. The piece doesn't feel super proselike until the end when it does. I'm not saying you have to rhyme or not rhyme or that you can't try different styles, but I feel like this would be stronger if you had a consistent structure throughout.

Finally, the oak had friends other than the Sun and Moon,

Who weren’t friends with the oak willingly.


These are good lines, but they don't make sense to me at the end. I might put this in the middle, as the oak is reflecting on feeling lonely. Then we can have a stronger happy ending with the oak and its new friends.

Also, I feel like "billowing oak" is repeated a tad too much. Repetition is a good poetic tool, but it's easy to go overboard. I would leave it at the beginning of each verse only. Also, I feel like "billowing" is a weird way to describe an oak? The definition of billowing is about waves and surges (see here ), but an oak is usually more solid and sturdy. Billowing sounds nice, but the meaning makes it odd. I would consider a different adjective.

Overall, I like the story this poem tells and a cleaner structure would make it more effective. As always, keep writing! :D






Thank you for your feedback! :)




We are discreet sheep; we wait to see how the drove is going, and then go with the drove.
— Mark Twain