The Quest for Fire - Frozen Past - Chapter Sixteen

by felistia

“We must hurry,” Shriken urged, picking up the pace as the group of dragons hurried through the caverns, “Once that storm breaks and the wind fills these caverns, we won’t be able to see a thing.”

Zoltar grimaced. He remembered the last blizzard he’d been in. The painful sting of the ice blowing against his scales was still fresh in his memory, not to mention the fight with the Drilver’s and the eventual capture by the Queen’s soldiers. He didn’t want to relive the experience.

“How far do you think we have to go until we reach the border?” Zoltar asked Felistia, who was using her wing tips to feel her way through the cavern ahead of him.

“We’re almost halfway, but we’ll never make it before the blizzard hits. Shriken says there’s a cave up ahead. We can wait out the storm there.”

Zoltar nodded, trying to keep his shaking claws from catching in the cracks riddling the ground. The last thing he needed right now was to break a talon.

A blast of freezing cold wind shot through the crevasse, screaming like a wild cat as it clawed at Zoltar’s wings and snout. Shards of ice battered against his scales from overhead, carried by the gale.

“In here,” Shriken called, his figure fuzzy in the intense darkness as he turned into an almost hidden passage way.

Felistia followed, seeming to disappearing into a black void. Zoltar blinked, shielding his eyes with his wing as he entered the cavern. Almost immediately the howling wind cut off, fading as Zoltar walked on. It was narrow at first, but opened up into a hollow large enough for the dragons to rest.

The cave was pitch black, the only light coming from the narrow entrance. Even with his nocturnal vision, Zoltar had trouble making out the shapes of Felistia and Shriken. Outside the storm roared like an angry beast, beating against the walls and ceiling with frosty talons, but it couldn’t get in.

Zoltar curled up in the far right corner of the cave in a tight ball. He tucked his wings around his body, but it did little to fight off the cold creeping further into his chest, its frozen coils curling tighter and tighter around his fading fire with every minute that went past. He didn’t know how much longer it could last.

If I don’t get out of here by tomorrow....Zoltar shook his head, refusing to think about it. He’d get out. He had too.

Time dragged on ever so slowly that night. It felt like days had gone by, but Zoltar knew it had only been around an hour or so when Felistia walked over to him.

“How you holding up?” she nudged Zoltar gently with the tip of her wing.

“I’m … doing okay… I guess,” he shivered, despite trying his best to keep his teeth from chattering.

“We’ll reach the border by tomorrow afternoon. I promise. Can you hold on until then?”

“I’m sure … I can make it … another day. Don’t worry,” Zoltar grimaced, the cold unbearable. He never felt like this in his life.

He was glad Felistia couldn’t see him in the dark. He didn’t want her to worry more than she already was. They’d make it out of here alive. He was sure of it.

He decided to change the subject. Obviously they weren’t going to get much sleep tonight, so talking was the next best way to pass the time, besides he had a few questions he wanted answered, “Shriken…just out of …curiosity, how did you manage…to put all the sleep herbs… into the guards food without…being noticed? From what I’ve heard…you’re not a cook.”

He saw Shriken give Felistia a sideways glance while brushing her with his wing.

Felistia seemed to understand and nodded, “It’s okay. He was bound to find out and it doesn’t make much difference now anyway.”

Shriken hesitated for a moment, before taking a long breath, “You’re right. I’m not a cook. The truth is I wasn’t the only one who wanted to free Felistia. There are other Ice Talons, dragons like me who want peace for our tribe.”

He paused again as though thinking carefully about the words he chose, “Shiler was never a peaceful dragon. She was always resentful of Kora and her ways. She called us weak and the day she got the throne she set about turning us back into the so called strongest, most feared dragon tribe in Megalonia.”

“It was after the first battle with the Wind Talons that I...and Felistia began to build a peace moment. We called it The Wings of Freedom. Felistia was heir to the throne and if Shiler was removed, she would be the next queen. The movement grew fast, but not fast enough. Somehow Shiler found out about it and suspected that Felistia was part of it. She banished her from the kingdom.”

Shriken’s gaze dropped, his wings hunched, “We lost hope after that. Without Felistia, there was no heir to the throne and so no one to challenge Shiler. The Wings of Freedom broke up soon after for fear that Shiler would kill anyone she found to be part of it. I became a guard to keep suspicion off of me. It’s been like that for the last two years.”

There was silence. Zoltar was stared at Shriken and Felistia. He couldn’t believe it. How had she managed to keep this all to herself? No wonder she was so off when he’d told her he was going to the Ice Kingdom. Surely this must have been what she was going back to, to start this Wings of Freedom thing again.

“But then I saw Felistia again,” Shriken said, wrapping one wing over his sister, “I thought if I could free her, maybe we could start the movement again, together.”

He turned to face Felistia, “There are still a few dragons in the palace that will back you for queen. You remember Shimo and Naifu right? They were the ones who drugged the guards food. They never left The Wings of Freedom. As soon as I told them about you, they helped put together a plan.”

He clasped Felistia’s talons in his, hope filling his eyes, “We can start The Wings of Freedom again. We can still stop this war and bring peace for our tribe and the Wind Talon tribe. That was why you came back right? What do you say?”

Zoltar couldn’t the read the look on Felistia’s face as she let go of Shriken’s paws. It was sad, happy and resentful all at the same time.

She didn’t say anything for what seemed like ages, her tail slowly flicking from side to side as she thought. Finally, she took a deep breath, letting it out slowly before looking at Shriken. She brushed his snout with hers before whispering, “I’m sorry. I can’t. Not again.”

“But why?” Shriken’s face fell as his voice cracked, “We need you. We can’t start the movement again without you. You’re the replacement queen.”

Felistia sighed, breaking her gaze from his, “I can’t. I’ll admit that was what I came back for, but now…after seeing how broken it’s become. I’d hoped there were more dragons behind it.”

Her face hardened, “No, it’s too dangerous. I won’t get you involved again. You almost got caught the last time. You know Shiler won’t hesitate to kill you if she found out about this.”

She paused and looked at her brother. He was staring at his talons, his wings slumped. Felistia gently stroked his snout, “I know it means a lot to you, but you know it won’t work. I can’t stay here, not with Shiler set on killing me. I can’t lead the movement like last time and how would you rally Ice Talons with their future queen not even in the kingdom? There are too few dragons. It would never work and you’d probably be caught. I can’t let that happen.”

She licked him lightly on the snout and wrapped a wing over his back, “I’m sorry.”

Shriken sniffed, wiping his snout with a paw. He curled in closer to Felistia.

Zoltar couldn’t help, but pity Shriken. Felistia was right, but she’d crushed his hopes. The broken Ice Talon looked almost like a dragonet next to her. Zoltar realized he been playing tough through this whole thing, all in the hopes of getting her back. And now she’s leaving.

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:33 am

I just love the term "dragonet". It's so cute and beautiful.

A REVOLUTION IS UPON US!! I'm super stoked. Something about political intrigue really... well, intrigues me! So forgive me if I nerd out in this review a bit!

I'm really happy that Zoltar asked how Shriken did it all alone. I almost feel like that should've been questioned sooner, at least internally in the narrative. Considering the position they're currently in, that probably wouldn't be the first thing on his mind to discuss. That said, I'm glad it was discussed, and it was an awesome lead-in for this Wings of Freedom movement. (btw, what a beautiful name.)

Hidden beneath Shriken's answer is a TON of history here -- well, a small piece of history that's actually huge in scope. The Ice Talons were at war with the Wind Talons?! (Or at least in a conflict.) And it sounds like this is an ongoing conflict at that, so this is undoubtedly a dire situation for the sake of peace. I'm sure we'll hear more about how dastardly this is -- how are the Ice Talons dying? And why does Shiler think that's okay?! You can't be strong if your dragons are dying!

And how are the Wind Talons responding? I'm guessing Ice Talons have a physical advantage over the Wind Talons and can therefore overpower them quite easily. I'm also interested in the dragons that support Shiler's aggressive actions and why they would. Wartime is not a good time for anyone except the power-hungry. The kingdoms involved will suffer economically as well as physically, mentally, and even geographically or similar. Loved ones are lost or hurt in terrible ways -- I guess I'm going a bit far, but I'm just really curious as to what this war is doing to the Ice Talon Kingdom! They make it sound really bad, and I'd really like to see more of that before and after this to give it that punch. Clearly this is a hurting kingdom, a result of Shiler's authoritative rule who seems convinced she's making all the right choices and that the Ice Talon Kingdom will be stronger for it. Is she thinking like in fifty years when survival of the fittest has finally caught up and baby dragons are born under her rule?!

I like the explanation of Felistia's involvement in the succession line too. This definitely cleared up how Shiler thought Felistia was in the way. I'm still curious where Shriken falls in line though 'cause I would think that even if Felistia was gone and Shiler was dead, he'd be next in line. but they never said that, so why is Shriken left out of the line of succession? Is he a half-brother? And if Shiler is dead and there's no one else to succeed, why does that scare the Ice Talons? Why is having Shiler as their queen better than no queen at all? Shiler must be doing something right if the dragons are convinced she's their only hope.

It was soooo sweet to see Felistia care for her brother like that. It was kind of sad though to think that she was once involved in this movement and now she's just giving up, like there's no hope. It's really heart-wrenching to think about. But she cares a lot for her brother -- the two of them have clearly been through a lot. Felistia even considered doing something about it when she came back -- AND DUDE. Dude. This is awesome because no wonder she was in such deep thought earlier during their flight! I LOVED how that was worked in, so patience is a virtue! You had her staring into space, deep in her thoughts, and I was so concerned like what is wrong with her -- but she must've been thinking through plans and strategies, going through all the possibilities of making this Wings of Freedom thing work again. And now to see her admit that none of her ideas would work, that all was lost... it's really just sad. I kinda want to see this downfall in her hope a bit more, maybe during their prison bit or something. Something convinced her that nothing would work and that there was no hope for the Ice Talons, so she basically came to terms with the fact that her kingdom would fall in disrepair or, worse, extinction. I would love to get into her thought process because she knows far more than I do as to the state of her kingdom.

Also, a humble man makes a great leader. Felistia would make a great queen for sure. <3 <3 <3

I'm sorry I don't have much else to talk about though. XD There was such JUICY information dropped in this segment and I can't help but think so hard about everything and how it all might fit into the plot and basically conspiracy theories are fun and entertaining for me ahahaha.

I can't wait to read more!! <3

felistia says...

Thank you for the review. Glad you liked it. :D

The reason Shriken is left out is because only queens can take the throne in Ice Talon society. I'll probably put more on that later on.

We will find out a lot more about the Wind Talons later on and their side of the war. :D (wink) So excited for you to read that bit.

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever it is in your part of the world)

Time for the last review of the day. Sad but I do have to go try and post the third chapter of my story before the day is out.

First Impression: Oooh so she was a successor to the throne. So I was right that Shriken was not the only one in on this plan. (Another point to Theory Mode). But this whole revolution thing is very interesting indeed. I have a feeling the Ghost Talons are going to get a lot of requests but I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a piece of this grand puzzle missing somewhere. Something that connects this all. This seems like the Ghost Talons had a grand plan. The wildest theory in my head is telling me that the Ghost Talons are behind that volcano somehow. *shakes head* I will figure this out.

On to the final review of the day,

This is one stormy area.

The thousandth lovely description in this book.

Nice reminder that we are in fact on a time limit here.

This escape isn't done yet I see. Now I hope poor Shiraku and Emerald aren't feeling too lonely. Especially poor Emerald.

Don't see why Shriken would be afraid to tell Zoltar. It's not like Zoltar is exactly going to go report all of that to the queen.

There are other Ice Talons, dragons like me who want peace for our tribe.”

So the Wisp Talons and the Ice Talons are both being oppressed.

The plot is really complicated. Once we see the full picture it is going to be truly amazing.

From this I gather that the Ice Talons have a queen at all times and there can't be a king. Or Shriken would have also been a valid heir. And now this dragonet is more interesting somehow.

Nice little reveal of Shriken's whole motive here.

So this was her all important mission. Now I suppose she'll agree to return to Shiraku and Emerald and then the diamonds will spice this up.

That must have truly crushed the poor guy.

And that's it.

Overall: It was a big reveal indeed. Another dimension added to the plot. This continues to get more and more interesting.

So we're done for now. I will await the next update with great anticipation. Also I managed to do this in three days instead of the four I thought it would take.(Yaay Me!!)

As always remember to Take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

felistia says...

Thank you so much for your review. It's so exciting how the plot is all meshing together. It's so fun and yet terribly hard to write. I keep worrying about missing details. Lol

I'll probably start writing the next chapter tonight or tomorrow. Look forward to seeing more from you. :D

KateHardy says...

Your Welcome!!!
I can relate. My stories have some pretty convoluted plots and I've had to create a whole database just to keep track of the finer details.
Looking forward to reading more of this!!!

Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe