z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Quest for Fire - Frozen Past - Chapter Six

by felistia


Great sloping mountains of sapphire blue ice traveled as far as the eye could see, the thin powdered snow scattered over the peaks, glittering in the shimmering starlight. Not a breath of wind broke the still silence and Zoltar could almost hear the stars singing in the deep cobalt blue skies above. The soft whisper of a breeze ran over Zoltar’s wings, its icy fingers brushing his obsidian black scales. In the far distance behind him he could just pick up the creaking groans of the Lake of Whispering as it froze over.

Zoltar took in a deep breath. The air was as sharp as needles and filled him with a wild sense of freedom. It was starting to get bitterly cold though as they ventured deeper into the frozen wastes. They’d been flying for hours now. In the beginning they’d talked back and forth a bit, but a few hours back he’d lapsed into silence as he began to conserve his energy to fight against the biting cold.

He glanced over at Felistia. She was staring straight ahead into the distance as if she was trying to gaze into the future, her golden eyes seeming to see everything and yet nothing.

Soon the wind began to pick up. The icy gale like millions of thorns speared into his skin, battering his wings and stinging his eyes.

Felistia soared through the blizzard as silent as a ghost. Zoltar had to strain his eyes to keep sight of her and even then sometimes she would disappear from his sight for a few fleeting seconds, before the snow thinned and she became visible again.

He almost jumped out his scales when she popped up next to him again, melting out of the swirling white.

“You need to stick close to me now Zoltar,” he could barley heard Felistia over the shrieking of the blizzard, “It’s easy to get lost in these storms and we’re nearing hostile territory.”

Zoltar nodded, though he wasn’t sure she saw it. For the next half hour or so he tailed, so close he could almost reach out and touch her. She’d reassured him that the storm should soon pass, but to his dismay it seemed to be picking up.

He had no sense of the direction he was flying or even how high up he was. He was completely dependent on Felistia guiding him.

Finally, after battling the howling winds for what seemed like hours, Felistia seemed to begin to drop in height.

“I think we should seek shelter for the night,” she yelled over the roar of the storm as she made a shallow arch downward.

Zoltar breathed a sigh of relief. His wings were beginning to burn like fire and it was all he could do to keep sight of Felistia as they slowly descended.

Before long the dark shape of the chasm streaked ground appeared through the swirling snowflakes. Felistia banked to the right, heading for the opening to a particularly wide ravine. Zoltar followed and was soon swallowed by the deep blue walls of the crevasse.

Almost immediately the wind quelled and the frozen missiles of ice blasting against his scales ceased. Over head the storm raged on as the two dragons landed on a soft bank of snow deep within the gorge.

Zoltar flopped down onto the snow, dragging in a deep sigh of relief. His heart was pounding and only the flame inside him kept him from freezing to death. After the first day in the Ice Talon Kingdom he’d become all too aware of what would happen if he didn’t make it back by the end of the week. If his fire went out, he’d succumb to the biting cold within hours.

“We’ll stay here for the night. Hopefully the storm will have passed by morning,” Felistia said as she curled up, her wings folded over her as a shield from the falling snow.

Zoltar watching, followed her example, spreading his wings over his body. It was a little uncomfortably at first, but he soon grew used to it. It would prove vital through the night as a steady blanket of snow fell from the violent sky above.

“Night Felistia,” he called, “Thank you for coming with me. I’m not sure I’d have gotten this far without you.”

He saw her smile, “No problem Zoltar. It was nice to have someone with me today. Try to get some rest. We’ll reach the palace tomorrow.”

Sleep was hard to find that night. Even with his wings folded over him, the bitter cold and constant snowfall was hard to ignore.

He didn’t know how long he’d been drifting in and out of shallow sleep for when a distant howl awoke him from his haze.

He sat up, turning his ears in the directing the echoing call had come from. It seemed to be coming from further down the cavern. He waited, listening for it again, but all was silent. Maybe he’d imagined it; a hallucination caused by his sleepless state.

He was about to lie down again when it came again; a ghost like wail, bouncing through the chasms endless passages.

Felistia sprang to her feet, any trace of drowsiness gone, replaced with a look of utter horror, “We have to go Zoltar. Now!”

“Wait, what? What’s happening,” Zoltar shook his head, trying to make sense of the situation as the baying of the creatures grew louder.

“Those are Drilvers.We have to get out of here before they find us,” Felistia urged, spreading her moon-like wings and lifting into the air.

Zoltar was about to follow suit when out of the corner of his eye he saw a flash of silver burst from around a corner.

Time seemed to stand still as Zoltar watched the dragon like creature spring towards his exposed throat, its sabra-like fangs flashing in the pale light. A fireball burned up in his chest, but he knew there wouldn’t be enough time to launch it.

Then Felistia was there, barrelling head first into the Drilver, sending the dappled silver creature flying into the far wall with a load bang.

She barely had enough time to get to her paws when another two Drilvers pounced from the shadows. Zoltar let loose his fire ball. It collided with one of the Drilvers wings, causing it to yelp in pain, but the second one didn’t even flinch. It vaulted across the distance between it and Felistia, landing on her back with a howl of predatory pleasure.

Zoltar knew there wasn’t enough time to fire again and even then he might hurt Felistia. He raced towards her as she bucked and lunged as she tried to knock the Drilver from her back. It clung on with an iron-like grip, ripping and tearing at her neck and wings with its long ice pick claws.

“Get off her!” Zoltar roaring, stabbing out with his barbed tail. The dragon dodged out of his reach, springing from Felistia with a threatening growl. It didn’t attack again, instead howling a long blood curdling call. More snarls echoed from the surrounding tundra, all converging on Zoltar and Felistia’s position.

“We must go now,” Felistia panted, flapping her bleeding wings to gain height, “We’ll never be able to fight them all.”

Nodding, Zoltar followed, soaring out of the cavern. The blizzard was still raging all around him, but through the white out he could see the wolf-like shapes of the Drilvers pounding through the snow towards them.

Guilt racked his mind. Felistia wouldn’t be wounded if she hadn’t saved him. He should have been the one to take the blow. He was the one that hadn’t moved fast enough. He couldn’t think about that now though. Right now he and Felistia needed to concentrate on flying out of sight.

They were almost out of reach. If they could just get a bit higher they could disappear into the night.

“We’re almost there,” Zoltar called to Felistia, who was wavering in the air as the wind battered her from all sides.

With a few more powerful beats of their wings they disappeared into the storm, leaving the pack of dragon snarling and growling on the ground below.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 1361
Reviews: 26

Donate
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:38 am
View Likes
SpiderFingers wrote a review...



I thought the Drilvers were a really interesting aspect in this chapter. The idea of wolf-like predators in a dragon world is definitely unique, creative and added a lot of suspense. The action is very well-written and readers can easily (and quickly) get a sense of Zoltar and Felistia's anxiety from their dialog and actions.

Also, the blizzard scene is made vividly clear by your use of wintry adjectives; metaphors like "sharp as needles" or "icy gale like millions of thorns" painted the perfect winter storm. Those are definitely some hard conditions to be flying in! Similes like "as silent as a ghost" contributed to Felistia's character, and you had strong word choice.

I really hope Felistia is alright! She's most certainly proved herself to be a trustworthy friend by rescuing Zoltar. I have a feeling her injuries might be the cause of some difficulties in the near future, but I'm so relieved the characters managed to escape!

Keep up the great work! I look forward to reading chapter seven!

~Spider~




User avatar
4100 Reviews


Points: 253913
Reviews: 4100

Donate
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:32 am
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Continuing to plow through this amazing story,

First Impression: Some new creatures who seem random enough that you might use them in an important role later but then I can't be sure. Lovely depiction of the blizzard and good to see Felistia doing her thing as an Ice Talon and taking the lead. Also I hope she's okay.

Soon the wind began to pick up. The icy gale like millions of thorns speared into his skin, battering his wings and stinging his eyes.

Felistia soared through the blizzard as silent as a ghost. Zoltar had to strain his eyes to keep sight of her and even then sometimes she would disappear from his sight for a few fleeting seconds, before the snow thinned and she became visible again.


This is a really nice description of the blizzard here.

“You need to stick close to me now Zoltar,” he could barley heard Felistia over the shrieking of the blizzard, “It’s easy to get lost in these storms and we’re nearing hostile territory.”

Zoltar nodded, though he wasn’t sure she saw it. For the next half hour or so he tailed, so close he could almost reach out and touch her. She’d reassured him that the storm should soon pass, but to his dismay it seemed to be picking up.


It should be interesting to see how Felistia can see what's going on or is he just navigating from memory?

“I think we should seek shelter for the night,” she yelled over the roar of the storm as she made a shallow arch downward.

Zoltar breathed a sigh of relief. His wings were beginning to burn like fire and it was all he could do to keep sight of Felistia as they slowly descended.


I thought you said it was half a day's flight and they set out pretty early. So either the blizzard slowed them down by several hours or this is too early to set down for the night.

Zoltar watching, followed her example, spreading his wings over his body. It was a little uncomfortably at first, but he soon grew used to it. It would prove vital through the night as a steady blanket of snow fell from the violent sky above.


So wait a minute.The ice can't come through but snow is still coming through?

Felistia sprang to her feet, any trace of drowsiness gone, replaced with a look of utter horror, “We have to go Zoltar. Now!”

“Wait, what? What’s happening,” Zoltar shook his head, trying to make sense of the situation as the baying of the creatures grew louder.

“Those are Drilvers.We have to get out of here before they find us,” Felistia urged, spreading her moon-like wings and lifting into the air.


Okay I'm assuming she knows about these things but forgot about them in the rush to get out of the storm?

Time seemed to stand still as Zoltar watched the dragon like creature spring towards his exposed throat, its sabra-like fangs flashing in the pale light. A fireball burned up in his chest, but he knew there wouldn’t be enough time to launch it.


So he seems to have a quite time delay to launch a fireball in some situations but in others he can just fire at random shapes all the time. Seems a tad inconsistent.

It collided with one of the Drilvers wings, causing it to yelp in pain, but the second one didn’t even flinch. It vaulted across the distance between it and Felistia, landing on her back with a howl of predatory pleasure.


So are the Drilvers related to the Death Grippers and that volcanic thing in the very beginning? This is getting real complex now. I think these things and the Ghost Talons are all connected and important to this plot somehow. More additions to my theory on that.

“We must go now,” Felistia panted, flapping her bleeding wings to gain height, “We’ll never be able to fight them all.”

Nodding, Zoltar followed, soaring out of the cavern. The blizzard was still raging all around him, but through the white out he could see the wolf-like shapes of the Drilvers pounding through the snow towards them.


Ouch! Don't see how they're going to get far in a blizzard with injured wings.

With a few more powerful beats of their wings they disappeared into the storm, leaving the pack of dragon snarling and growling on the ground below.


Looks like we're getting to the ice palace a little late. Felistia has to heal up.

Overall: Lovely new set of creatures. If someone ever makes a movie of this thing the VFX team will spend a year just constructing all these creatures. And I think this Drilver introduction while seeming random without much addition to the plot is actually giving us a picture of something worse to come.

Anyway as always take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




felistia says...


Thank you for the review. This Drilvers are actually quite important and play fairly large role later on. :D Zoltar's fire ball was slower because of the cold. I need to mention that in the chapter. :D



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 230
Reviews: 9

Donate
Mon May 04, 2020 2:10 pm
View Likes
ShannKenn wrote a review...



Well, that's me hooked!
As a kid I absolutely adored Cornelia Funke's "Dragon Rider", and reading this now rekindled that same sense of wonder. The sensation of flight through the blizzard, Zoltar's reliance on Felistia to guide him, and then the tension of the Drilvers appearing for the attack - I was swept away so completely that I was a little sad to reach the end. While I wait for the next installment I suppose I had best catch up on the previous chapters...
Well done, and keep going!




felistia says...


Thank you for the review. This is actually the second book in the series. I'll give you a link to the first book's chapter one. The Quest for Fire - Into the Mists - Chapter One



ShannKenn says...


You are very welcome :) And thank you! I look forward to reading :D



User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:14 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



YAY MORE TRAVELLING

Gosh you really set the scene up so well though. I could really picture and feel the blizzard so well. I also like that Zoltar does NOT have an immunity to the storm's elements 'cause that is NASTY. That sounds like a NASTY blizzard, and this in particular shows us that Zoltar is still in dangerous territory. Especially when compared to someone like Felistia, who is built to endure winter storms. So excellent job there!

I'm kind of excited and intrigued about these Drilvers. I can tell (or at least I hope) that you'll be using these guys later on. They sound really nasty, and considering they are also creatures that can endure the winter elements, they must be particularly nasty to deal with for even Felistia to be afraid of them. They do remind me of the Wisp Talons a bit, though they're obviously not flying dragons. They're definitely grounded, so that's nice for Zoltar and Felistia.

Of course, they're also just smaller and, thus, quick. They were able to claw through Felistia's wings, which is REALLY BAD for a flying dragon. I think that tells us the Drilvers have particularly bad talons? Though I think any dragon can really tear through another dragon's wings (I don't think we've been told otherwise), so it must be simply the Drilvers' speed that can disorient Zoltar and Felistia enough to get attacked.

Anyhoot, it felt like a random scene, but I imagine the Drilvers will make an appearance later or this scene wouldn't be here. :D

But I am totally concerned about Zoltar's sleep. :( He hasn't had a good night's rest in a couple days now at least. Hopefully he'll be okay!




felistia says...


Thank you for the review. That was quick. :D

Yes. I will be using the Drilvers later on in the story. They are quite important. :D




When one is highly alert to language, then nearly everything begs to be a poem.
— James Tate