The Quest for Fire - Frozen Past - Chapter Twenty Two

by felistia

A cold dawn was beginning to spread across the cobalt sky when Felistia finished telling Shriken their plan. Shriken had remained silent for the most part, his eyes darting from the ground back to Felistia as he followed her thoughts.

“So what do you think?” Felistia asked, rubbing one talon against her arm anxiously.

Shriken didn’t respond immediately as he shifted his gaze to watch a flock of snow white birds fly towards to oncoming dawn, their pale feathers almost reflecting the subtle pinks and purples creeping over the sky.

Finally, he turned back to face her. He let out a small sigh, “I wish I could talk you out of this, but I can see your heart is set out it. Also I have to admit, it could work.”

“Thank you…for understanding,” Felistia grinned and twined her tail with her brother’s, “I know the risks involved. I promise I’ll be careful.”

Shriken nodded as he took a deep breath. “I know you will. I’ll do my best on this side,” He took one of Felistia’s paws, “I’ll meet you in a few days. I should have news by then.”

“Okay,” Felistia said, her talons trembling, “Please promise me you’ll be careful. If Shiler suspects you of anything, run. Wait by Viper Rock for me. We can work something out.”

“I’m sure everything will be fine,” Shriken nuzzled Felistia before stepping back, “I’ll see you soon.” Spreading his pearlescent wings, Shriken leapt into the morning sky. Angling towards the Ice Kingdom, his scales seemed to wink goodbye as he soared into the distance.

Felistia watched him go, her eye’s following his silhouette until finally it disappeared into the swirling storm clouds hovering over the lake.

Zoltar stepped over to her, wrapping a wing over her back, “He’ll be okay. He knows how to look after himself.”

“I know,” she whispered, squeezing his paw, “He always was the sensible one.”

“Come on. We should get moving before the sun reveals our position. There could be more patrols.” Zoltar nudged her as he spread his wings and jumped into the air.

Felistia nodded as she cast one more anxious glance in Shriken’s direction, before following Zoltar.

Soon the frozen wastes of the Ice Kingdom disappeared behind them as wide open grasslands spread before them. The far off mountains of the Wind Talon Kingdom slowly advanced like marching giants. They should reach them by tomorrow evening.

Slowly, the sun climbed up the blanket of robin’s egg blue, casting its golden rays over the swaying grasses below. The plains of butter yellow whispered and rustled in the early morning breeze as if murmuring long forgotten secrets. Zebra galloped over the dry grass, their hooves creating clouds of dust as they raced over the ground. They whinnied in alarm as the dragons flew overhead.

Zoltar’s stomach growled and he remembered that he hadn’t eaten in a while.He decided that a zebra would do for their supper later.

Dipping into a steep swallow dive, he plummeted towards the panicked herd, the wind whipping at his wings. He splayed his front talons and snatched up a zebra mid-swoop. With a quick squeeze of his claws, he killed the horse and flew back with his prize. Felistia shot him a smile as he showed her his catch. They could eat it later after they’d covered more ground.

For hours the two dragons flew, the ground below a blur as their shadows danced over the weaving blades of grass.

The warm sunlight was a welcome change from the bitter cold Zoltar had had to live with the last few days. The comforting heat on his back scales help ease his worry, but didn’t stop it.

He’d thought over the whole thing over and over again in his head and he just couldn’t figure out what had happened.

Why of all dragons had the Wind Talons taken Emerald and Shiraku? They hadn’t been anywhere near the Wind Talons territory’s boundary. He’d specifically left them in a remote area between the two kingdoms. Ice Talons and Wind Talons practically never set paw in that area now, not after the battle of Thunder and Ice.

So how had Shiraku and Emerald been caught and why had they been taken? It wasn’t like they’d been doing anything wrong. Something just wasn’t right about this whole situation.

And why had there been a Lighting Talon with the Wind Talons. If they were so rare that most of Megalonia thought they were extinct, why would one be so close to the Ice Talons? Surely, the Wind Talons would want to keep there last remaining Lightning Talons close to home?

Evening seemed to creep up on Zoltar and his thoughts. One moment the plains were bathed in sunlight, the next it seemed crimson shadows had flooded the land. The air had a chilling bite to it as the sun dipped below the horizon, taking the last of its warmth with it. The breeze from earlier had die down, so the gloomy grasslands were deathly silent apart from the steady beat of the dragons wings.

The zebra was starting to grow heavy in Zoltar’s talons and his wings were starting to ache from the long day. They should land and wait until morning to carry on. Felistia was starting to show signs of exhaustion and soon she wouldn’t be able to fly due to the lack of light.

“Felistia?” Zoltar called over the sound of their wing flaps, “Do you want to land for the night.”

A slightly relived look came over Felistia’s snout and she nodded enthusiastically.

Felistia cautiously swooped down, her eyes darting this way and that as she tried to see in the dim light of the two moons. She landed a few moments later, stumbling slightly on something hidden in the grass.

Tilting his wings to circle in an arch around her, Zoltar slowly landed in a graceful spiral dive. The dry grass rustled gently as his claws touched down. His muscles sighed in relief as he let go of the zebra and stretched his sore wings.

Darkness had consumed the land by now and the Wind Talon Mountains were a dark silhouette on the far off horizon. The two full moons iridescent glow spread like liquid silver over the plains. A canvas sky of the purest black speckled with gleaming stars. Streaks of glittering violet and dabs of cosmos blue shimmered amidst the swirling colours. Hints of emerald and autumn orange dappled through the whirling galaxies of stars.

Zoltar breathed a content sigh as he dragged the zebra over the Felistia. Tonight he’d be able to sleep under a blanket of stars. Far better than a freezing cold cell in the middle of the Ice Kingdom.

But like an angry beast, gnawing worry for Shiraku and Emerald clouded his mind. Were they okay? Were they even still alive? Besides that, how was he and Felistia going to get into the Wind Talon Kingdom. It might have been okay if it was just him, but Felistia was an Ice Talon. How would the Wind Talons react to her?

Zoltar clamped down on his thoughts before they got out of control and tried to calm his whirling mind. It wouldn’t do him any good if he didn’t get a good night’s sleep. He needed energy to complete the journey ahead. He needed to be sharp tomorrow when they arrived in the Wind Talon Kingdom.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:51 am

The imagery here is just so breathtaking. Your descriptions are once again On Point. It was so lovely to read, so descriptive and easy to picture. I love that we were watching the pair of them behave as their dragon-y selves like we saw in the first book on the wisp talon island. It was a really nice shoutout to the dragons we originally got to know.

I like this idea of Zoltar chasing a zebra as a peaceful way to end the novel as well. He was always a better hunter, and it also shows his determination to move forward and find this target. It was almost a small bit of foreshadowing indicating to us that he's going to hunt for his friends and find them before they could be lost forever.

I do still think this feels more like an end to Part 1 as opposed to the end of a novel. It's setting up the next part EXTREMELY well, but it doesn't feel like a novel ending. There's a lot of hanging questions and subplots that are clearly going to be tied up in the next part, probably too many to feel like I'm satisfied with the ending. I guess "closure" is what I'm trying to describe. A little more closure after the events that had transpired would help end the novel a bit more gracefully. Alternatively (and I haven't read the next novel yet), this could be joined up with the third book, depending on how that one plays out.

Oh! I love seeing this conversation between Felistia and Shriken. I think this a really good step in putting Felistia on the forefront of our character cast, how she's going to play a major part in this conflict they're in the middle of, and that she's able to make a plan with her brother. Similarly, her brother clearly shows an eagerness to work with her, and I'd definitely like to see a little more enthusiasm considering the amount of energy he had before in trying to convince Felistia to join the rebellion again. He sounds far too pensive here considering how gung-ho he was before!

Ahhhhh I can't believe you finished your second book, though! This is such a huge milestone, and I really look forward to reading the next part 'cause I MUST know how this conflict will turn out. And also what this lightning dragon thing is about 'cause there's a lot of different ways this could play out and I have really no clue how to feel about it, so I need to find out more.

Well doooone, and congrats on book two!! Looking forward to reading more! :D

Jabber, the One and Only!

felistia says...

Thank you so much. :D

Holysocks wrote a review...

Hello there! I have this strong feeling that I've read and reviewed one of the chapters in this series before... but I'm not sure!

I think your strength is descriptions 100%! I was really excited by how vividly I was able to see what you were describing! And at the same time, you had a good balance with them, where you didn't go too much into things and bog the writing down with descriptions- which is what a LOT of us do. So that's awesome! I could also just tell that you put a lot of work into this- I'm not sure how to say this better. Like your characters and premise - even from jumping in on the middle - just have a really good feel to them while reading, like I can tell we're in the middle of a good story and things are a-happening!

“I wish I could talk you out of this, but I can see your heart is set out it. Also I have to admit, it could work.”

This is kinda an odd thing for me to comment on perhaps. I just felt like in this bit of dialogue it's a bit too... crowded? Not that there's too many words- obviously dialogue can be super long and there's no rule against that or anything (or maybe there is, I don't know). No, what I'm saying is I felt like there's too much going on for it to not have been interrupted by the other character. Like it starts with "I wish I could talk you out of this" which someone might want to interject in there, and then goes onto "but your heart is set on that" and that might have been a place to interject as well. I especially feel like the other character might have interjected between that last line and the next section. I don't know, I just feel like whenever I'm talking it's hard to get out an entire thought before someone's like "BUT this" or "the thing is...". O>O I don't know if this makes sense at all, but I just felt like that particular bit of dialogue was a little rushed, and that it might make a tiny bit more sense to have the other character interject between there a bit. But that's just a suggestion.

Slowly, the sun climbed up the blanket of robin’s egg blue, casting its golden rays over the swaying grasses below.

It took me a minute to figure out that this was talking about the sky. I had to go back and reread it to understand what was being said. Sometimes with description, I think it's better go with a simpler option- even just saying "the sun climbed the sky" is fine every once in awhile! Especially if it eliminates confusion. Now I'm not at all saying don't be creative with your descriptions, just saying that sometimes it's okay to opt for boring ones if it promotes clarity- or just in general. If that makes sense! :D

With the whole zebra thing, I have to admit I was a little worried I wasn't going to like that scene as I really dislike watching these sort of things happen in nature videos!! But you kept it to a very need-to-know kinda thing so it wasn't bad at all. I think it's kind of interesting that you're including that sort of thing- I mean obviously a dragon's gotta eat -because I don't know, at least the killing part I feel like is kinda risky thing to put in a book. I think I'm just going crazy though. But you did a good job with it, regardless!

Anyway, I hope this is somewhat helpful! And I just read in the comment you made below that you finished this book! Congratulations!! That's so awesome! :D Keep it up!

-Holysocks

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:27 am

Aand I'm back. Time to end this second book. Congrats on finishing another book by the way. Good luck in the next two!!

First Impression: WOW. That was quite the ending right there. Just enough questions asked but closing out that arc pretty well too.
Brain- Prepare the theories for the next two arcs!!

Anyway let's get to it,

"Okay,” Felistia said, her talons trembling, “Please promise me you’ll be careful. If Shiler suspects you of anything, run. Wait by Viper Rock for me. We can work something out.”

So no one found it strange that when most of the guard on duty were knocked out by the sleeping herbs Shriken is totally not asleep?

Flying off into the next book...

Lovely description there.

I think you meant to say zebra there.

That's a really cool name for the battle. And wow you are asking all the questions in this part.
*takes notes vigorously*

Why exactly did he wait for him to bring this up? If she was tired couldn't she have asked if they could stop?

Some lovely imagery again. I should try to make a record of how many times I've said this. Probably over a hundred.

Ooh this promises to be very interesting indeed. Can't wait for it to come out.

Aaand that's it for that one.

Overall: Really good job as an ending chapter that's setting up a sequel. There was some good description to set the stage and lots of the right questions asked while at the same time bringing some closure to this book. This book has just been great overall. The plot, in all of its twisted glory, is holding strong.

This review courtesy of

felistia says...

Thank you for another review. So happy I finished this book. Looking forward to play around with the next one. :D

KateHardy says...

Your Welcome!!
Looking forward to the next one!! :D

Uh, Lisa, the whole reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time. Just like that rainforest scare a few years back: our officials saw there was a problem and they fixed it, didn't they?
— Homer Simpson