12+

Contemptable Wrest - (Ch. 12) Part 2: A Foggy Hundred-Yard Field Goal into the Cradle of Life

by Wriskypump

My vision swung back down the rope of light, tracing back to the “hovercraft.” It was still backsliding and gathering momentum. If it accelerated much more, it would catch 22. With less and less space before the wall would make for a booby trap, not even the heavy tangle of wires on its back would be enough to cushion the impact. But hey, if I went high and he went low, assuming we reached that portal before the Magneliohasetrop pulverized itself, we could avoid conking ourselves against that magnetic field. But we’d need luck too. Hopefully no more uncalled-for ingredients would be tossed into this recipe.

I dropped the Scenario bomb. “The hovering tank looks like it’s headed for a little more than a fender-bender! It’s a race! Him or us! Strap your helmet on and don’t forget Santa’s Christmas Booty! I go high, you go low!”

The man was struggling to his feet in search of the weapon-gobbling sack.

“Behind you, behind you!” I went off like an alarm. “And you need the head start to time this right!”

He bent down to snatch it but before he could squeeze the bag’s neck shut, his glasses were flung from his face.

Lost below an ocean of guns.

Shit. I pinched my eyes closed. “How good is your unrefined vision?”

He scooped up the fumble and spun, juggling the now oddly football-shaped bag. “It’s like having two left hands!” And about to turn on his booster jets, he knew as well as I did, “It’ll have to doooooo!”

I guess it wasn’t like he was reading anything; all he had to do was see the light.

Letting him get that sizeable head start, I watched tensely as the machine seemed intent on desecrating our escape, or aborting our rebirth, however you choose to look at it. 20 yards or less to the wall and rapidizing. Letting out a low whistle and gripping the weapon solid between my fingers, I mumbled Sayonara to it and chased after Gutterson.

For more adrenaline as well as the thrill of adventure, I envisioned myself being pursued by a bunch of gangsters over the rooftops, in my hand, the case of money they were after. Sure, you can’t outrun a bullet, but if it was anything like I’d seen before, the mobsters would be God-awful shots.

Peering down at the laboring Gutter, I took into consideration that his load was of far greater toll: an elderly man flying at full speed rendered blind as a bat carrying a stuffed bag. But that was just the way the cards had unfolded. Destiny: the ultimate palm-reader. I returned my gaze to my path. Besides, he wouldn’t have been able to make that upcoming jump.

But a clatter from below had my eyes off the prize in a jiffy. It wasn’t long before my body replicated my gaze, arrested by the commotion, engrossed by the scene. Gut was sprawled on his gut, fortune lounging vulnerable amidst a rubble field. He’d taken a hard spill and in the downfall, dropped the ball into the disaster area. The debris of weaponry we hadn’t been able to put back in their places had come back to trip him up. Any estranged contents were likely to remain that way, for they would blend in with the likewise decor of guns. In fact, I couldn’t see where the dropped bag was.

Frantically, I repeated, “The sack, the sack, the sack!”

With a strenuous grunt, Malibu pushed his sagging form to a sitting position. “Working on it.” he said wearily.

I was scouring the land so I could lead Gutterson in the right direction. The light was shining off the stocks and barrels of most guns. But not off the bag. There was a darker spot on the largest mound of arms, standing out (or in) much like how a black hole is brought to the foreground against the star-dusted background of space.

“Big stack!” I crowed. “Not far to your left, flapjack’s on the big stack!”

He did a fancy little roll over to the “flapjack,” a move he probably learned in the military. Upon seizing it, he spoke to the bag, “I didn’t know I dropped you into iHop! Which is too bad because I don’t eat pancakes. I’m strictly a Vietarian; I only eat Charlies!”

“Charlies,” as they were often referred to, were the opposing Vietnamese soldiers in his war.

The Tap was fluctuating. The magnetic field was causing an imbalance, and it wasn’t clear if the magnet or the portal was going to win. Every now and then, the Tap would shut itself out of existence, only to be hauled open, wider and wider with the jerky motions of a day-and-night wrestling match.

Gutterson staggered his way up as I called, “Slap it back into place and let’s go!” I was talking about the bag, his bearings, and his brain. Seriously, he had just talked to the dumb sack.

He took one step and then went very stiff. “Something,” I asked uneasily, “wrong?”

“I heard a glassy crunch!” Malibu lamented. “I’ll be darned. I think I stepped on my glasses!”

He’d never sounded like he had when he said that--the plaintive cry of a child. He was always tough as a weather-worn strap of leather. Maybe the leather had cracked after one too many a storm. The important thing was for the leather not to come undone.

Anyway, if the glasses had fallen from the bag, he would have run off unaware of the fact and left them behind. Demolished or intact, with nothing to perform service upon they were idle either way. No use crying over spilled milk.

From my vantage point I saw an opening that would keep him unimpeded by more traffic. “The path is clear if you vamoose straight ahead!”

“But without my glasses, straight has become a garbled concept!” he complained.

“Forget the diversions; I'm tellin' ya! Your life shouldn’t be dictated by your itch to see perfectly anyway; there’s more to be perceived than just with eyesight!”

His head cocked as if he was listening to a frequency that I couldn’t get wind of. “Nevermind, I’ll trustcha!” and he charged ahead thoughtless as a bull; for he was fat, dumb, and happy, anchored upon my supervision.

There was only about thirty yards until we hit home base. I shot a quick peek over my shoulder; at any second the Magneliohasetrop was going to meet its maker, and in doing so, deal us the same fate. I planned on wrecking its plans, even as it did ours, and scrambled to reach cover first.

There was no time to determine where Malibu was in relation to me. If I didn’t catch up with him, I had to hope he was attentive enough to wait a second for me to come through so neither of us would hit the crescent out of sync. But I could rest easy; he was a very vigilant person.

The end of my line was strides away, bobbing along to my head in time with my sprint. There would be no bridge to cross over. My leap of faith would not be a smooth one. The catwalk was secured from end to end of the superstructure. I’d have to approach from an awkward angle in order to correctly surmount the railing and vault with adequate propulsion.

Like I said, the Walk came to a dead end where it fused into the wall, so I veered left with approximately five steps pending before I would’ve become a pancake complete with bloody syrup and whip-creamed bone. This maneuver left me running sidelong next to the railing, weaning off the distance at a sharp, reverse V angle for the chance to swing my shoes atop it like a feline on a fence.

Except I didn’t plan to run along it.

My heart dropped and bore a hole through my stomach as second thoughts about clearing this hurdle crept in. Nothing short of first place form will drive you home. But this vocation was more acrobatic than mere track and field combined with a series of jumps. I had to jump on the hurdle and rebound cleanly from its narrow foundation. Oh yeah, and hit a target some two-hundred feet below.

But I wasn’t about to allow no heart-sinking feeling to conquer my devotion to live, to succeed, to prosper. My leg muscles willed themselves to bunch together and translated into a brisk crouch. Then only air was underneath my body and there was no turning back.

My left foot landed first. It connected a touch on the near side of the round bar, just where I had wanted, and slid into place as my momentum pushed it across to the top.

Then carried it out of place.

I had overshot by a morsel. My ankle buckled with a small flash of pain and rolled over the far side before I could plant and boost off, leaving me airborne. Quite unwillingly. I grappled the flamethrower with all my might. The center of my body was still traversing the rail, though now beginning to cartwheel. The overdone motion had sent me into a sideways flip. The forefront of my pounce had spent its energy and was now useless in the empty air of gravity’s clutch, with nothing solid for traction, its route was unchangeable.

I had to change that.

It’s nice to have more than one of something. My other foot arched up from behind my body, flailing loosely, but it was the only part of me that I had much control of. Everything up and beyond from my right hip might as well have been paralyzed. Now, my last leg was on the rise, but it had joints that moved independent from the core of the body, the knee being the main attraction.

There was no way to stop its rise. And it was essential for it to go lower. Or I’d be the real pancake at iHop. But there was no time, the spin was sweeping the leg away from the rail as well as up. That meant I would have to wait dreadfully long.

My head screamed, do it now or it will be too late!

Of course, that seemed logical, but I figured only an anticipatory resting period could save my life. Jumping the gun would be a false start and therefore disqualify me, so I hung onto my hat, coiling my leg for the strike. And then my hair net launched itself from my head because I wasn’t literally holding onto my hat. The hair on the side of my head that was turned into the pseudo-generated wind, was set free and its first order of mutiny was to siege a whole half of my face, treating my tongue to an ever-so-delicious taste of hair while it stole fifty percent of my vision. We were now three quarters blind as a duo. Batman and Robin could use some bigger eye holes.

It had been only a second or less since I had slipped and I was very aware of the railing’s location though I could not feel it. My glute, hamstring, and quad went tight as my knee gathered in so far that it almost brushed against my chest.

And I held it. Like a serpent poised, collecting itself for the one meticulous moment that would serve it best to lash out, I held it. I held it because I was falling. There’d be one more chance to shove off when my body came back down even with the edge.

I cartwheeled onward. I knew that my descent would be slowed at first, since I had clipped the metal and skidded. My chance to leap with a proper arch had been squandered. However, that wasn’t necessary because the Tap was far below and I would have time to progress towards it in the fall, though being afraid to undershoot, the first method had been the more preferable. Improv was all that remained--Could I think faster than I fell, reform my error in direction before I would crash?

My new calculation was based on the location of my head, and took the rate of my sidespin into account. The instant I was waiting for arrived. Where I had determined I was horizontal.

I fired the trigger, my leg. It exploded away from my body. The time that it took to gain full extension and connect with the metal bar that I had failed to use correctly, left my head aimed just past a 180 degree plank of evenness. The ball of my foot made contact. Straight as an arrow I shot, released from the taut bow of an archer upon the tower wall under a moonlit night, marked for a piercing landfall just as designed.

Bull’s Eye.

My eyes swelled with the precious white glow of the crescent, shuddering back and forth as if so eager to embrace me that it could not contain its joy in knowing that I was on the way. It was a perfect release, and I reveled in the sensation of success, extending my hands in a diving style, the weapon of flame serving as the tip of the charge.

But as I did so, I felt a fresh tension. Something caught hold of my neck. And almost as soon as the feeling began, it stretched until it pressed sore into the nape of my neck, delivered so callous that I became certain it could exact no more pressure. Next there was a pop, felt not heard, and a thin band so slight it was almost ticklish slithered across my skin.

I figured out what it was immediately. Something during my superfluous gesture had snagged the chain. Dear God. I saw it shimmering. A silver tendril had taken flight. Vinny’s beloved necklace was wreathing away from me.

TimmyJake wrote a review...

Timmy here!

Like last one, I will go for some technicalities before heading to the comments on story and whatnot.

But we’d need luck too.

Comma after luck

He bent down to snatch it but before he could squeeze

Comma after it

You have a small bit of comma issues throughout this piece. I would take a quick peek at this, just for future reference. I found it helpful to me. :D Here is the link. Hope it helps you out somewhat!

I was scouring the land so I could lead Gutterson in the right direction. The light was shining off the

So you fell into a bit of passive voice there, again. So I would look at your piece a bit and see what bits you could change. So with was scouring, you could have done scoured, and with was shining, you could have done shone. A simple change, but it makes all the difference. :)

The forefront of my pounce had spent its energy and was now useless in the empty air of gravity’s clutch, with nothing solid for traction, its route was unchangeable.

I think this is two sentences? Perhaps the second one can begin after clutch? That would be a lovely transition place, I think. :)

So, like the reviewer below, I enjoyed the action in this. You do have a way of keeping things tense in your piece, even though everyone is running hellishly all over the place, being blown to hell, and being threatened of being blown to hell. Very well done with that. I enjoy reading a piece that keeps me on the edge of my seat.

Let me show you your best quality with this piece, in my opinion.

But hey, if I went high and he went low, assuming we reached that portal before the Magneliohasetrop pulverized itself, we could avoid conking ourselves against that magnetic field. But we’d need luck too. Hopefully no more uncalled-for ingredients would be tossed into this recipe.

Yes, that. No, not the part I pulled out. Not just that. But its the casual voice, the teenage voice of your narrator. The voice is so unique, so wonderful to read from. I mean, when I read through this, I can see the character talking, and their personality. And that, my friend, is a rare ability. Just his random comments thrown in - not random, but breaking up the monotony of action - really keep everything light-hearted and fun. So like this: Hopefully no more uncalled-for ingredients would be tossed into this recipe. Just perfect. I am a big fan of this character's voice.

Keep it up!
~Darth Timmyjake

Wriskypump says...

xD! Thanks again and again TJ! - if you don't mind me calling you that. Your reviews have a certain way of striking a common chord and making it play in an exquisite key. :D

timmyjake says...

Lots of people call me TJ. ;) Glad I could help! :D

ThirdBetrayle wrote a review...

Whoa.
Talk about action packed, I don't think I've come across any story this descriptive of every single movement. Its truly amazing how you've put this all together. But I must say that the abundance of description was overwhelming and even distracting for me as a reader. I absolutely love action stories and films but what caught me on this one was that every sentence, every word, was so full of excruciating detail that I became lost. I could barely follow the line of the story anymore because I was too consumed by the adjectives and things of that nature and instead of focusing on what was going on, I focused more on trying to get through the description of him running, or of him holding his legs to his chest. For more than half of the story I was confused and distant. Unsure of what I was reading.
I would suggest, though this is only from my personal perspective, that maybe you could take out some of the details. Its a bold request but I feel as though certain things were perfectly stated but then elaborated on for way too long. The small jokes, like iHop and stuff like that, seemed a bit forced and awkwardly placed in the story. I was actually quite confused by their appearance at certain times.
As I said, I really do like action stories and films so my favorite parts of this story were the comparison you made between the main character's lunging and track and field events:

"But this vocation was more acrobatic than mere track and field combined with a series of jumps. I had to jump on the hurdle and rebound cleanly from its narrow foundation. Oh yeah, and hit a target some two-hundred feet below."

I really loved this comparison because I run track and field and I know how tough it is to get over hurdles properly. So seeing how you made the act if him jumping onto something then quickly jumping off as being more strenuous than hurdles and even took that into more depth by describing how really struck amazement in me. I could literally imagine how impossible the scenario would be. Another one of my favorites was the simile that included a snake's stiffness:

"And I held it. Like a serpent poised, collecting itself for the one meticulous moment that would serve it best to lash out, I held it."

That was perfectly done and very much creative and original! The imagery and likeness just filled my mind and I couldn't help but read those sentences again and imagine just how equal the main character's position was to a calculating snake.

Well done! Your writing is superb and very rich with imagery and sensory details and other devices.
Write on!!!

Wriskypump says...

Hi there! Thanks a million times a billion! I was wondering if I was getting anything relatable across, so I'm delighted you mentioned what you did about track and field and the snake! I do in fact want to cut some of it: could you point me to the right places to cut? Because I am not sure where to snip, and I don't want to snip something that was fine.

O;
Me? Tell the author what to cut? I wouldn't dare. It's your writing, love. Just read it over and areas where you feel the detail is too repetitive, confusing, or tiresome to read youcan cut. A grest tip that I learned as an author trying to edit my work is to read the passage out loud to someone who is very energetic and someone who is really bored. Their response usually average out and you get a better insight of how others feel while hearing it read. If that is not enough, you can just read paragraph by paragraph and try to find synonyms/words that could replace long phrases or even try to cut as many words as possible until the main point is all that is standing. Basically try to avoid viewing it in what I call the "proud author" perspective. I personally loved the imagery of track and field and the serpent.

I hope this helped. If not then let me know and I'll try to help in any other way that I can. Best of luck!

Wriskypump says...

Pffft, you can tell me what to cut, whenever :D I like that coinage "proud author" perspective. *Titters* I'll try to cut without any detriment. :P bye-bye for now :)

Make sure you marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
— Holden Caulfield