Missing Puzzle Pieces and Synthetic Identity

by WeepingWisteria

There’s nothing more disappointing than realizing you have lived your entire life for everyone else,
like spending decades putting together a puzzle,
only to discover you’re missing one single piece.
I am my own missing piece.
I have buried myself in pillows of anxiety,
lost myself in between the couch cushions of someone else’s expectations.
And now I am scanning this puzzle, finding all of the times I compensated for being missing.
How many pieces did I bend backwards, shove in sideways?
If I take apart this puzzle and put it together correctly will I even recognize it?
Can I even recognize me?

I walk away from the puzzle,
my hands shaking,
my heart pounding so fiercely I can feel it in the soles of my feet.
Can someone tell me who I’m supposed to be?
Can someone help me unrealize my lack of depth?
Let me lay flat on the cardboard for everyone to pick apart and rearrange however they see fit.
I don’t want to exist if not within the bounds of someone else’s desires.
Because if I am everything everyone wants of me,
I will be wanted.
But right now I’m just a puzzle missing a piece.

I stare at a stranger’s face in the mirror.
It was always familiar before,
but one moment has shattered the illusion of it belonging to me.
It now belongs to everyone who has ever known me.
Everyone who has ever expected something from me.
I feel foreign in my own life, my own skin, my own name.
How does one even begin to separate the real and the synthetic?
To save myself from the prison of everyone’s disappointment?
I rub the hills and valleys of my face, the coils of my hair, the ridges of my neck,
and I try to picture flesh, not cardboard and peeling paint.

AkuRashomon wrote a review...

Hi, hello. This is Ina speaking. I am going give a quick comment/review.

Wow, I love the sad boy/girl vibes the poem is giving. When I was younger than now, I used to feel this way. I couldn't seem to understand and complete myself togehter just like a puzzle. I love how straightforward the poem could be and how messy your poem is. It's like messy puzzle pieces on the floor or thoughts inside someone actual brain and they just cannot organize it. Or staring into a mirror but you don't know your own reflection. Although, as a reader and writer it may seem messy. Maybe you should fix it a little and the poem will be better. I'm not saying it's bad, you just need to fix it a little more. Over all, it is good how you expressed these emotions and feelings, just fix the way you write it. I hope this helps. Keep up on writing!

Late happy new year and have a good morning, day, afternoon or night!

WeepingWisteria says...

Hello, Ina! Thank you for the review. Can you point out any specific lines that seemed messy?

AkuRashomon says...

These ones:

I stare at a stranger%u2019s face in the mirror.
It was always familiar before,
To save myself from the prison of everyone%u2019s disappointment?

I think the questions are confusing and the stranza doesn't come to an end. Maybe you should fix in a certain arrangement or add a better ending for these lines. I hope this helps! Have a good day/night.

Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:53 am
Dipro wrote a review...

I don't think what you want In this poem Is very clear to you.There are some really good lines scattered throughout.But the self-pity and self-loathing Is expressed so bluntly that It seems too Indulgent.Space your lines properly.The work reads too straightforward.Poetry demands a certain embellishment of expression.Work on that If you will.The pain and the sheer disillusionment In the character feels visceral and real.The work does have a lot of potential

WeepingWisteria says...

Hello, Dipro! Thank you for the review. This was written in my classic stream-of-consciousness poetry style, where the narrator just writes what they are thinking with more focus on their internal world rather than a grander scale narrative. Due to this, I tend to stay away from more abstract metaphors and focus on thoughts. Feelings. I take a lot of inspiration from Japanese poetry which tends to discourage metaphors and focus more on imagery and self-reflection. I am not quite sure what you mean by spacing my lines correctly. This is a freestyle poem, so there is no right or wrong way to break the lines. I tend to write poems focusing more on how they flow rather than how they look. Is that what you meant or did you mean something different?

When life gives you lemons…take over YWS with fruits and vegetables!!!
— LemonescentAnt