z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

Pills / Needles

by WaltzingDreams


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

A/N: Here's the revised version which includes the guy's POV. Two different poems parallel in syllables, the girl's at the left while the guy's at the right. Hope it's not too confusing to read.


I sit cutting them piece by piece: 

I strain, I'm tied down.

Head ache, muscle ache, asthma

Day in and day out, I fight.

They never end. 

They just watch me.

Flu, fever and allergies.

I scream and the needles dig deep.

The foil cuts me.

I'm calm for now

* * *

* * *

He beats me till I'm numb,                                                                               

I dream of yesterday,

Till the world spins

When all was fine

And I taste blood.

and I was sane.

I'm miserable and weak,

An eclipse, then I hurt her.

but I endure.

Why won't she go?

I love him too much.

She loves me too much.

* * *

* * *

I stare at the little, 

 I awake and scream again,

painkillers on my palm

while this hell eats my soul.

I take in all at once.

I'm tired; I miss her but

I sleep on pills. 

The demon still thrives


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 3187
Reviews: 173

Donate
Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:20 am
View Likes
fukase says...



It this what I saw in my worst nightmare, I love it and it was beautifully-made!




Random avatar

Points: 240
Reviews: 0

Donate
Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:14 am
View Likes
Liv13 says...



WOW! That was great! I love how you did it in two different perspectives! I am speechless! I normally am not a fan of poems, but I was just sucked into this one!I could just imagine and fell the pain the two of these people were in! Keep up the good work!




Random avatar

Points: 330
Reviews: 22

Donate
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:26 am
View Likes
elitemaster030 wrote a review...



Hello, first can I just say that I really loved your dual narrative stance on this. It is really breathtaking as most poets focus on one persons narrative stance.

I really love your use of short sentences as it emphasizes the pain that they are both going through, yet by the separated narrative stances their pain is hidden. However, as a Poet you are able to make use of imagery techniques, much more than in other genres of writing. My advice for you in the future, as I keep saying on other pieces is just to really explore Imagery techniques, they can really benefit your writing.

Good Work! :D




User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:11 am
View Likes
artybirdy says...



I'm speechless! It was so beautifully written, and it isn't confusing at all. I loved it, especially how you managed to give us both perspectives. Well done!




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 312
Reviews: 25

Donate
Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 am
View Likes
liv1997 wrote a review...



Hello!

I really liked this poem; it talked about a real problem in the world today. People everywhere have to deal with abusive relationships and I feel like this poem really brings attention to that. My only suggestion is to maybe go into more detail and depth. Why does the narrator's partner beat him/her? How did things get started? Just simple, more detailed things will make the poem that much more relatable and heart wrenching. It will add to the emotion your readers feel when reading it.

Otherwise, it was excellent! Keep writing:)




User avatar


Points: 449
Reviews: 3

Donate
Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:24 pm
View Likes
Slaughtamelon wrote a review...



Hey just here to do a little review.

Well first off this is deep, knowing that so many people have to deal with abuse in all sorts of relationships, where one is mad and doesn't know how to release the anger so it gets taken out the wrong way. One gets depressed over everything and looks for an escape.

Besides that, it is nicely written poem I understand where the narrator is coming from, depressed, worried things will go worse if you don't find an escape, scared he'll take things too far, but the only escape is to take the pills. The poem should also explain why he's like this, and why he's doing this to her. Just you know, go more in depth with the narrator.
Also there's no rhyming and that's a big part of poetry, but it's clear it's not here to rhyme it's here to tell a story.

This was nice little story. I hope you have a good day and all goes well
-Dom




User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 71

Donate
Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:03 pm
View Likes
ashtheawesome12401 wrote a review...



Hey there I'm here to review. Haha let's get started!

Wow this is deep.
I remember the last relationship I was in. He was abusive- but verbally. But I understood why.He was jealous. And afraid I was going to leave him, (But it was toxic so I left-I'm glad I did) Okay anyway, why did I bring this up? You did talk about the abuse. But you need to have the reasons, or at least a guesstimate as to the reasonwhy. Even if you give hints.And I know the character is in an abusive relationship, and they can't leave.But you could mention "I do love him but I need to leave" something like that. But I do get it. I understand completely. And I like how you say the character is taking medication and sleeping on it. That gives in more insight to the overall like issues of the main character.

But really this was really good. Write more okay?
Have a nice day
~Ash




User avatar
112 Reviews


Points: 61
Reviews: 112

Donate
Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:07 pm
View Likes
passenger wrote a review...



Hello~

To give you my honest opinion, the problem here is with the way you executed this idea. It's ill described. It's already somewhat of a cliche theme that you're dealing with, and it would be easy for me to chastise you for this, but nearly half of the topics that one can think of have been written about and overused by novelists and poets, and even songwriters; so it's difficult to blame you for writing about such topics just because they're somewhat worn out. Instead, I looked for how well this is written, and how well this theme (love vs. mental/physical health) is executed. To me, it was very vague. All I get from this is that the man that the narrator loves is beating her, and basically that it hurts. I could have gotten this from almost any online source. In fact, it's common knowledge.

When I'm done reading this, I can't distinguish the difference between this and every other story about depression or physical abuse. Tell me more about your personal experience, and make me empathize with what your enduring. Don't merely state facts, but dive deeper into the meaning behind those facts. Don't tell me he's beating you, tell me what it makes you feel, beyond amateur descriptions, like "helplessness" or "weakness" or "pain". Even dramatize it a little. Go down deep, and write down anything that comes to mind. For example, let's say you feel trapped. Don't say you feel trapped. Tell me what it's like to feel trapped, as if I've never felt it before.

Consequentially, this was the quote at the bottom of the page when I was writing this review:

"All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, till they take root in our personal experience."
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think it's somewhat fitting. Anyway, I apologize if this criticism sounded somewhat harsh. Anyone can tell a story; it's how you tell it that ascertains the difference between a writer and an artist. I hope this is of use to you; if you have any questions, I'll be happy to delve further into this topic.

Thank you for writing.

Yours,
Savvy






Thanks for the review! Nah, it didn't sound harsh. It sounded honest, thanks for pointing that out too.



passenger says...


You're welcome! I'm glad you see this as constructive rather than disparaging. I'll keep an eye out for future works of yours. ^^



User avatar
214 Reviews


Points: 14468
Reviews: 214

Donate
Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:24 am
View Likes
artybirdy wrote a review...



This seems like a poem made on the spot! It’s short, but accurately portrays the situation of a depressed person. I can tell that the speaker’s stuck in an abusive relationship and struggles to get out of it. He/she gives themselves the excuse that they love their partner when, in fact, it could be that they are scared of him.The last stanza gave me the chills!

To improve, I’d suggest you to tell us more about him. Perhaps, tell us why he’s violent.

I’d also ask you to put up a trigger warning and change the rating. This poem could be quite confronting for some people.

Except that, well done, and keep writing!






Thanks for the review. I plan on making another poem, the guy's POV this time.
About the rating, no idea what would be suitable... :/ suggestions?



ArtStyx says...


That'd be cool! Let me know when you post it. :)
Maybe 16 for Mature Content?



passenger says...


My life has no trigger warning

I think this might inspire you. :)




When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson