Sunny and the Syntax Errors of Doom: Chapter 7.2

by Spearmint

The inside of the train was rather small, but clean. The floor was decorated with semicolon art, and as Robert and Sunny made their way to some open seats, Sunny noticed patterns of punctuation on the walls as well.

The pair found some empty seats in train car 3 and settled in as the other passengers found seats as well. Sunny looked around, observing the Javalandians and sketching the semicolon patterns in her notebook. But soon enough, she closed her notebook again. “Hey, Robert, about that previous hero…”

“Hm?” Robert cracked an eye open. “I was trying to nap.”

“Oh! Sorry. I was just wondering if you knew any more about him and his quest.” Sunny fidgeted with her pencil.

The robot let out a deep sigh, then said, “His name was Jasper. Not as confident as you, for sure, but a decent kid.”

“Did you know him?” Sunny asked curiously.

“No, but I’ve heard of him. He went through a similar journey as you– learning things like variables and conditional statements and loops. And with the power of code, he was able to make the leaders of the various nations listen to him for a moment. That moment was what led to the peace treaty and the end of the war.”

Sunny’s eyes were sparkling. “Amazing! Has anyone written a book about this yet? If not, can I? It’d be a bestseller for sure.” Suddenly, she frowned. “But it needs a happy ending, and you said you don’t know if he made it home. Where is this Jasper now, then?”

Robert leaned back against the side of the train as it started to move. He let out another sigh, then reluctantly said, “No one knows. After the peace treaty, he and his ambassador just… disappeared.”

“What if both he and his ambassador went to Earth?”

“Ambassadors are able to travel between worlds. Jasper’s ambassador would’ve come back.”

Sunny fingered her notebook thoughtfully. “Well, I got here through a portal that replaced my front door. Maybe I just have to find another portal?”

The robot shrugged. “Don’t ask me. I’m going to sleep now.”

Sunny harrumphed. “Fine. Hopefully you’re in a better mood when you wake up.” She pouted for a moment, then returned to doodling in her notebook as she considered the issue.

She mumbled under her breath, “If the portal replaces doors, is there a specific door I need to find? I would’ve thought the return portal would just appear when I finished my quest… Is it even worth trying to figure this out if it’s entirely possible that Jasper did return home? Hmm…”

Sunny must have dozed off sometime, because she was abruptly awakened by the train lurching to a halt. Around her, startled passengers burst into chatter. Sunny sat upright. “Robert?”

The robot was looking around as well. “An error?”

The windows of the train flashed red around the edges. Robert sighed. “That confirms it. Come on.”

He hopped out of his seat, leaving Sunny to pocket her notebook and trail behind him anxiously. A baby was crying in the background.

Robert wove around passengers towards the front of the train.

Sunny called out, “Excuse me! Coming through!” She squeezed past an old couple and hurried after Robert.

When Robert reached car 0, he knocked firmly on the door. There was no response, other than the faint sound of voices. The robot lifted an arm again and banged on the metal. “Robert here, official ambassador from the High Council of Javalandia. Open up so I may offer assistance.”

Sunny blinked. The door opened a crack, then, upon seeing Robert, the person behind it opened it all the way.

Robert floated into the room. “What caused the error?”

A wiry man gulped. “We were just looping through the cars as usual, making sure they were all functioning properly.” He gestured towards a screen.

for (int i = 0; i <= train.length; i++) {

if (!train[i].functioning()) {

System.out.println(train[i].getError());

}

}

Robert scowled at the code, then swiveled towards Sunny. “See anything wrong here?”

Sunny stared at the code for a moment and skimmed it. “Okay, so it’s a for loop with an if-statement inside it. I know that train[i] means a car of the train, but what does .functioning() do?”

“functioning() is a method that’s being called on train[i]. But you haven’t learned that yet, and anyhow, the error’s not there.”

“The print statement looks fine– it has a semicolon. Maybe the for loop? int i = 0 is fine, i <= train.length… wait.” Sunny looked closer. “Hmm. If the train is zero-indexed,” she said slowly, “what would the index of the last car be?”

Robert looked almost proud. “Precisely.” He turned to the train drivers. “If you try to call train[train.length], it’ll throw an error, because the last car is train[train.length-1]. For example, if the length of the train is 5, the cars will be 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. There’s no car 5. Who wrote this code?”

The drivers looked away embarrassedly. “Thank you, Ambassador,” one mumbled.

Robert rolled his eyes, and Sunny took notes in her notebook.

Soon enough, Sunny and Robert were back in their seats, and the train was moving again. Sunny tapped her pencil against her notebook. Something didn’t sit right with her. “Robert, why couldn’t those drivers figure out the error by themselves? I haven’t been here a week, but that piece of code seemed pretty simple to me.”

Robert snorted. “Some people have become too dependent on error descriptions to tell them what to do. That error had a name once. I can’t remember it, but I’m pretty sure it was specific enough that the drivers could figure things out. Now, though, it looks like you can’t even tell which line the error is on.”

Sunny looked at the Javalandians around her, chattering or resting as normal now that the train was moving as usual. “Those error descriptions are quite important then, huh?”

Robert nodded, then closed his eyes. “I’m actually going to sleep now. Don’t wake me up unless the train falls off a cliff or something.”

“Will do.” Sunny half-smiled, then returned to her thoughts. Maybe it wasn’t as outwardly glorious as ending a war, but she supposed helping solve errors was just as essential to Javaland. She could live with that.

Snoink wrote a review...

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

“Hm?” Robert cracked an eye open. “I was trying to nap.

MY MAN.

Okay, so...I think you can definitely do more introspection work on Sunny's thoughts regarding Jasper. Like, what what is she worried about? What is she excited about? What are her hopes and dreams that thinking about Jasper prompt in her mind?

... okay, I just read the error scene and I definitely liked it. There was action! Suspense! Using the previous lessons! Yay!

As someone who was raised without smartphones, I totally get this. Once you get accustomed to it, you can't live without.

Again! MY MAN.

Will do.” Sunny half-smiled, then returned to her thoughts. Maybe it wasn’t as outwardly glorious as ending a war, but she supposed helping solve errors was just as essential to Javaland. She could live with that.

See, this part would be so much better if you told us the interior drama in her mind? Is she jealous of Jasper? Does she think this problem is insignificant or doesn't have very high stakes until this train error? We need to know all of this!

... not sure what happens next. Method City perhaps??

Spearmint says...

...I suddenly have the urge to make Sunny envision Jasper as the complete opposite of who he is... >.> Okay, this could be fun. XD

Yayy! :D

Snoink says...

DO IT.

Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:41 pm
Liminality wrote a review...

Hi again mint!

First Impressions

I could definitely relate to the train drivers here because I’ve made that mistake with zero-indexed things xD I initially thought the error was going to take longer to solve, but when I realised what it was, I was like – ohh. But seeing more of the effects of losing error descriptions was interesting too. The story Sunny is in has a more slice-of-life energy than stopping a war does, but it’s still interesting and certainly valuable! I like that Robert’s opinion of Sunny seems to be improving I think?

“His name was Jasper. Not as confident as you, for sure, but a decent kid.”

This almost sounds like he appreciates Sunny’s confidence.
Robert looked almost proud. “Precisely.”

This was a nice moment, too!

Glows – What I liked

I enjoyed the return of the semicolon art! I also liked the writing of the events when the train stopped. It felt tense, and I was thinking ‘oh no, what’s happening?’

This part definitely reminds me of superhero movies or maybe even detective novels where the heroes are disguised among everyone else in a vehicle, but try to get to the source of the trouble. The crying baby added some tension too, I think.
I liked Robert’s attitude about the code. I thought it was very in-character for him to be all like “See anything wrong here?”. It also felt like he was acting more in an ‘ambassador’ role rather than being Sunny’s grumpy sidekick. Maybe that’s just because he was addressing the train drivers, haha.
In general, I also love how the dialogue of each character shows their personality. Robert sounds jaded and at times sullen, but more authoritative when he chides the train drivers about their code. Sunny comes across as enthusiastic with all her short interjections like “Oh!” and “Amazing!”

Grows – Ideas to consider

I kind of felt like at the end of the chapter, I would have liked a bit more of a link to Sunny’s worries about returning home? It felt like that was the ‘sub-plot’ so to speak that the chapter was focusing on. Reading the ending lines, I felt like it was supposed to be related to that train of thought, but I wasn’t sure how, so I was like hmm. Does Sunny think the risk of not returning home is worth helping Javaland in this way? Or is it more like she’s distracting herself from that fear by thinking about the benefit to Javaland?

I enjoyed this chapter. As I said last time, it’s nice to have Sunny solve a problem with what she’s learned, and it looks like I was right about loops and the arrays being combined :D It also feels like the danger of the error descriptions is building up, now that they’re causing infrastructure to break down (bad for Javalandians, but good for plot). I guess the next chapter will be about methods and ‘functioning()’ in particular. I’m curious as to how Sunny is going to learn that.

Hope this helps – let me know if you’d like more feedback!
-Lim

Spearmint says...

Thanks for the great review, Lim! ^-^
I enjoyed the return of the semicolon art!

xD I%u2019m glad! It%u2019s a fun thing for me to sprinkle in here and there, haha.
I kind of felt like at the end of the chapter, I would have liked a bit more of a link to Sunny%u2019s worries about returning home?

Oh, you%u2019re right. I just reread it again, and it looks like I was trying to connect to Sunny%u2019s previous thoughts about how figuring out the missing error descriptions wasn%u2019t as impressive as ending a war, but that makes it seem like she%u2019s ignoring the potentially-not-returning thing from previously in the chapter. >.> But as for the question, she%u2019s so confident that heroes can solve anything that she%u2019s thinking she can solve it when she gets there. Now, I just need to add that in and make it consistent. . . xD

Thanks again, and have a fabulous day/night! <3

Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:43 am

First Impression: Well, I adore the fact that Sunny here finally gets to step in and help out the citizens of Javaland even if it was only a rather thing that Robert ended up helping out a lot in. It is a small win and we shall take it.

Oooh well this is interesting. I was expecting perhaps some sort of shenanigans to be going down in this Array Train but more questions about that whole problem looming up ahead is definitely even better.

Hmm I have a feeling this is going to lead to us learning a little more about Robert here as much as we'll learn of Jasper. And I love that Robert here sort of accidentally revealed that he likes Sunny despite all the grumbling and the complaining.

Well that definitely seems like the sort of thing that's worth writing a book about there. Jasper definitely seems to have learnt the art of coding quite well to be pull of something on a magnitude like that.

Hmm this is going me hope there. You never know, if that ambassador just decided that Earth was better for some reason or was just that good of a friend with Robert that they're both on Earth now. Hope is there and I will be latching onto it, thank you very much.

Well, I suppose that's still just about enough information to work with for now. Gotta love Robert rathe conveniently needing sleep at just the right moment to leave us wondering down the path of these portals.

Well Sunny falling asleep on that is once again very relatable but ahhh it seems we've woken up to a bit of an error here. I don't foresee this one ending too well here. Will Sunny and Robert end up having to work or oooh I wonder if this where Sunny gets to shine a bit and help repair whatever caused this issue.

Ooooh well we're definitely seeing them going towards what I assume is the source of this issue. Ahhh I can't wait to see Sunny get a moment to shine a little bit more here. She's learnt so much, she deserves a chance to show that off here.

Well let's see where this takes us here. It does looks like we've got these finally helping people out and I love this! It does maybe look like Robert is going to end up being a tiny bit more front and center than Sunny but I have no doubt she's going to help out a lot in the actual repair.

if (!train[i].functioning()) {

}

}

Well...okay looking at that, I have to assume whoever wrote that code must have been very sleepy. At least that's the only excuse I have when I end up making that particular mistake...assuming of course I am thinking this is the right error xD.

Yay!! I do remember how to code...ahem...I mean wow, Sunny is good. And these two really do make a good team when it comes to this sort of thing. Well well, I am now officially very happy to see Sunny have her moment of helping people out. She really is learning quite a lot here.

AHHH why does this feel like the perfect little line to sum up their entire partnership so far and I have to imagine going forwards in this book too.

Oooooh this is another little thing that has been hovering in the back of my mind but I never brought up because I assumed the Javalandians simply wouldn't care to remember such things because plot. This however is a much better and (very true to real life) explanation and I love that you've got that in here too. All of these plot holes are sealing themselves up before they even really form :D.

That is definitely something to be proud of there Sunny, also as irrational as this is, now I'm genuinely worried there's a chance this train could actually end up going off a cliff somewhere. Why else would Robert bring that up?

Overall: Overall, another lovely addition here to this little tale. I loved getting to see Sunny helping out, and of course the little bits of information up top about that ever present danger ticking away in the background was a lovely touch too. Well, we'll see how that develops and if this train does indeed go off a cliff.

Spearmint says...

Thanks for the great review, Harry! Made me smile! ^-^
Hope is there and I will be latching onto it, thank you very much.

XD Hm hm. Perhaps.
All of these plot holes are sealing themselves up before they even really form :D.

xD We'll see... plenty of plot holes still lurking around here, I'm sure...
now I'm genuinely worried there's a chance this train could actually end up going off a cliff somewhere. Why else would Robert bring that up?

XDD
Thanks again, and have a terrific day/night! <3

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!! <3

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides