Sunny and the Syntax Errors of Doom: Chapter 3.2

by Spearmint

Sunny tried to read the reference manuals. She really did! But despite her best efforts, she started nodding off somewhere around booleans and eventually fell asleep on a page about incompatible type errors. Her dreams were filled with dancing semicolons and curly braces, and in the morning, she woke up to sunlight streaming through a window in the side of the room.

Sunny lifted her head from the book and winced as she tried to work out the kinks in her neck. "Argh…" She smoothed out the page the book was open to and closed it with a whump. "I don't think I can read any more of that without falling asleep again," she muttered to herself. "Although, I suppose this book isn't completely useless. It could be handy for looking up words in, or I could throw it at a bad guy! There'll be some bad guys on my quest, right? There have to be."

With that cheery thought in mind, Sunny started humming and straightening up the other books that Professor Polly had left her with. There was one called Computational Fairy Tales, which looked more interesting, and one about debugging.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, and a friendly voice called out something in Javalandian. Sunny quickly opened the door and greeted Professor Polly with a smile. Behind the professor, Robert was floating again and displaying the words, "Good morning! Breakfast is ready, if you'd like to come and eat."

"Wonderful!" Sunny beamed at the two and followed them to the dining room from the previous evening. Adelia was there already, enjoying a bowl of cereal that was shaped like ones and zeroes. When she saw Sunny, she waved, and her blanket cape fluttered merrily around her.

Sunny waved back and took a seat at the table. "So, how long will it take to get to Variable Village?"

Professor Polly handed Sunny a plate full of scrambled brackets and hashbrowns shaped like hash symbols. "There's a well-used road connecting Parentheses Town to Variable Village. If you hitch a ride, it should take less than a day."

"Assuming nothing goes wrong," Robert muttered.

Professor Polly pursed her lips. "Yes, that's right. There have been reports of carts breaking down. While that isn't particularly unusual, what is an issue is that no syntax errors are appearing, so no one knows if they need a parenthesis or a semicolon to fix their vehicle."

Sunny tried and failed to imagine what a vehicle made of punctuation would look like.

"It should be fine… Worst comes to worst, you could walk." Professor Polly smiled. "It'd be good exercise!"

"But if you hitch a ride, try to pick someone who's eating something," Adelia advised. "If they brought a snack, they probably have spare parts too." She shoveled a spoonful of cereal into her mouth.

Sunny nodded as she dug into her breakfast. Soon enough, Professor Polly and Adelia got into a heated debate over whether single or double quotation marks were better, and Sunny smiled to herself as she listened to them. She tried to soak in the pre-quest anticipation and lightheartedness… she expected she'd have to face various trials and sufferings later. Although that was all part of the process of becoming a famous hero!

When breakfast was over, Professor Polymorphism handed Sunny the bag she'd requested the day before and listed some of its contents: food, water, books, and an extra battery for Robert.

"Why am I the one stuck with babysitting Sunny, again?" the robot grumbled.

"Because dealing with this problem is urgent and you're one of our most capable diplomats," Professor Polly said.

"Because I'm going on an awesome quest, and I choose you to be my sidekick!" Sunny said.

Robert groaned.

Despite Robert's complaining, however, a few minutes later, Sunny and Robert were on the front steps of the house, saying their goodbyes to Professor Polly and Adelia.

"Best of luck!"

"Don't forget to choose a driver with a snack," added Adelia.

And with that, Sunny and Robert set off down the sidewalk, on the way to their grand adventure.

***

"‘Go with Sunny,' she said. ‘You're the best one for the job,' she said." Robert huffed. "Ugh, what a bunch of flattery." The robot shifted uncomfortably among the bundles of goods and eyed a particular package with distaste. "That stinky String cheese smell is gonna stay on me for days!"

"I didn't know robots could smell," Sunny deadpanned.

"Oh, you don't know a lot of things, do you?"

"Well, rude." Sunny adjusted her position between some hard loaves of bread and a wooden cabinet. "It's alright. We'll get there soon!"

"You and I have very different definitions of ‘soon.'" Robert attempted to cross his arms, although he didn't really have elbows, so the resulting effect was that of two slabs of metal stacked on each other.

From the front of the cart, the driver called, "About an hour away now!" Then he went back to munching on some potato chips from the large bag of chips Sunny had first seen him with.

Sunny tried to tune out Robert's grumblings and turned her attention to the road around them. In the other direction, various carts carrying fresh produce trundled towards Parentheses Town. They were made of some kind of metallic material and had wheels with patterns of asterisks in them. Sunny couldn't see any parentheses or semicolons on the outsides, although they'd already passed one cart that had been pulled over to the side of the road. From the snippets of conversation she'd overheard, Sunny deduced that it'd been taken out of commission by some unknown error.

"Hey, Robert? Why exactly is missing the errors' descriptions such a big problem?" Sunny asked thoughtfully. "Don't people have the experience to solve the problems without needing descriptions? You helped me solve the error I first had with my code being in the wrong place."

Robert paused his fiddling with a bag of knicknacks. "Sure, that works for simple errors. Most Javalandians know the basic structure of a program. But for more complex errors, or ones that a person hasn't seen before, the help of an error guardian is usually requested." He frowned at the carts passing them. "These cart errors don't even say what's missing, so someone would have to read through the source code to find out. Usually, an error guardian would do that."

"So where are these error guardians, and why aren't they doing their job?"

Robert shrugged. "I've heard rumors that some were reduced to blubbering messes when the error descriptions started flying away from their notes. And others have attempted to follow the descriptions to Spaghetti Code Mountain… with little success, it would seem. There should be an error guardian at Variable Village, though. He's in charge of the incompatible types error. You should ask him."

"Oh!" Sunny perked up. "I was reading about that error last night. I can't seem to remember what it was, though…" Sunny pulled out the reference manual from her backpack.

She started flipping through it. "It was after variable data types… So ints, doubles… wait, if statements? Okay, no, I've gone too far." She flipped back a few pages and stopped. "There's information on ints and doubles and booleans, but nothing about incompatible types errors. I could've sworn there was a paragraph on that last night." Sunny stared at the manual, suddenly feeling deeply unsettled.

She gulped. "Did… did the description of that error just disappear from this manual?"

foxmaster wrote a review...

Hello! Foxmaster here for a review!
Sunny tried to read the reference manuals. She really did! But despite her best efforts, she started nodding off somewhere around booleans and eventually fell asleep on a page about incompatible type errors.
I do not know how she could have even gotten off page one, I wold be sooo lost. (Nonfiction is not really my thing)
I can't imagine.
Me neither! We always learn something new...
Robert attempted to cross his arms, although he didn't really have elbows, so the resulting effect was that of two slabs of metal stacked on each other.
*snorts*
Good question.

Oh no! what a cliffhanger! Anyway, the quest finally begins! I am loving this so far. IF i overlooked anything just let me know and if you could review some of my work that would be great!
-Foxmaster

Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:53 am

First Impression: Ahh the quest is underway!! I'm very excited to see that we've gotten going in that aspect. I can't wait to see what shenanigans are in store for this duo of adventures. The pre quest part and the start itself hasn't disappointed so far :D

That is an extremely relatable moment right there to start off with there. Right down to the odd dreams there. Love that for the start because we just get a nice little reminder than Sunny is pretty much just a normal person stuck in this world, well not stuck exactly.

The chucking it at someone's face maneuver is of course the best use of this book, I have to naturally approve there. Sunny definitely seems to already know the tricks of the trade here. Looking works up as they become relevant is also definitely a professional adventurer move there as opposed to reading a gigantic book.

AHh love this little morning scene, not to mention this is going to sound repetitive but I love the little details that you take the time to put in. Some of them are super random and don't seem like they'll ever come up again but they do so much to make sure we know we're in this very different world and makes it all stick together a lot better.

Welp, that sounds like quite the issue there. At that point walking seems like the safer option, especially if it happens to be a well worn road which means its not going to be too hard to follow it. At any rate, I am loving the setup to this here. Let's see where it takes us.

You're not alone Sunny. You're not alone.

That is some interesting logic there Adelia. Although it is just about convincing enough that I am genuinely nodding along like that totally seems plausible.

Robert groaned.

Both equally valid answers that I love. Although I do feel (mildly) sorry for Robert there given he didn't end up having too much of a choice in the matter. I do feel like Robert isn't going to mope about it for too long though. Maybe.

"Best of luck!"

Ahh one of the best parting pieces of advice that has ever been given out. Excuse me while I calmly pick myself off the floor from laughing hard. ALso ahhhh quest is beginning, the excitement is flowing, and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Well...I can already tell the banter between the two of them is going to turn out to be legendary and I am very much here for it. Also I love that it seems that Sunny did in fact follow Adelia's advice even if it was only a coincidence.

We have proof! We have proof! Adelia's expert advice was followed. Woo!!!

Good to see some examples coming into view now of those problems that were being discussed earlier. It helps add that extra layer onto things to make it all seem just a little more real and pressing of a issue.

OOoh that's a neat little thing to throw in there. It clears out a potential plot hole quite nicely too. I didn't even quite think of the fact that people could simply remember. I think this is a lovely step be taking here to mention this right as the quest begins so we have a better idea that there are certainly some stakes to this.

Ooooh well that's quite the issue there, although I can see where it might come from for those poor error guardians. I also love the potential for us to run into an error guardian soon, because no matter what state he happens to be in we're going to get some valuable insight into the quest there.

AHHHH... I hear a DUN DUN DUN coming our way. Lovely little ending that. This is best way to have it lead up into the quest I think. Having an error we all definitely saw was available earlier disappear randomly.

Overall: Overall I think we've got ourselves a pretty solid start to this quest, blessed with much noble advice from the great Adelina, and I'm definitely excited to see what this error guardian will be like to say nothing of the fact that we're seeing even Sunny's textbooks start losing errors.

Spearmint says...

Thanks for the fantastic review, Harry!! ^-^
Excuse me while I calmly pick myself off the floor from laughing hard.

XD I'm glad it made you laugh!

Indeed. Sunny was wise enough to follow that absolutely foolproof piece of advice =P
I would say thanks again, but I suspect it'd get repetitive, considering how you binge-reviewed nine chapter parts in two days... xD But every one of those reviews is much appreciated!!

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome xD

Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:05 am
Liminality says...

Hey mint! This isn't a review, but my goodness that ending! Looks like the problem is spreading faster than expected :0 I also laughed really hard at the whole driver-with-a-snack gag, so that's really neat. Awesome work with your LMS! :D

Spearmint says...

Aww, thank you so much, Lim!! This brought such a big smile to my face. :3 <333

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:52 pm
Snoink wrote a review...

...honestly, relatable. xD

She smoothed out the page the book was open to and closed it with a whump.

...oh no! The italics is improperly formatted in the actual story text! (Though, probably, the text is probably properly formatted in this review, lol.) Anyway, take a peek at the actual story text...

It could be handy for looking up words in, or I could throw it at a bad guy! There'll be some bad guys on my quest, right? There have to be."

LOL.

Though, I honestly don't know??? Or maybe the bad guys are like... trickier bad guys who use logic to fight? Or maybe the bad guys use errors and create havoc??? THE POSSIBILITIES. In any case, I do not think that the bad guys will be what Sunny expects, LOL.

I am still wondering why things are in English, although I like these funny details, lol.

Professor Polly handed Sunny a plate full of scrambled brackets and hashbrowns shaped like hash symbols.

LOL.

Okay, now I want Sunny's reaction to Robert's words, lol. Like, I would be like, "Wait... what could go wrong???" And probably feel slightly concerned, lol.

FORESHADOWING????

Sunny nodded as she dug into her breakfast. Soon enough, Professor Polly and Adelia got into a heated debate over whether single or double quotation marks were better, and Sunny smiled to herself as she listened to them.

AGAIN. Is Robert translating their conversation for her??? I need to know this, lol.

She tried to soak in the pre-quest anticipation and lightheartedness… she expected she'd have to face various trials and sufferings later. Although that was all part of the process of becoming a famous hero!

OH NO. SUFFERING??? D:

Robert groaned.

LOL. (Also, Robert = <3!)

"‘Go with Sunny,' she said. ‘You're the best one for the job,' she said." Robert huffed. "Ugh, what a bunch of flattery."

Somehow, this seems a little clunky... hmmm...

"That stinky String cheese smell is gonna stay on me for days!"

...why is String capitalized? Is this like a play on Java? Are there strings in Java? I forget... Also, why is he complaining about the smell of cheese? Like, did somebody rub it on him or something? I am confused...

Hmmmmm... interesting!

OH NO.

Spearmint says...

Thank you x5!! ^-^
...oh no! The italics is improperly formatted in the actual story text!

...you saw nothing >.> =P

In any case, I do not think that the bad guys will be what Sunny expects, LOL.

Hehe, I haven't planned out all the bad guys yet, but I can say that you are most definitely correct! xD These aren't the kind of bad guys that Sunny can just beat up. =P

OH NO. SUFFERING??? D:

I mean. Staring at a coding problem for two hours and making no progress is a unique kind of suffering. (Speaking from experience here...) xD

...why is String capitalized? Is this like a play on Java? Are there strings in Java?

Yep yep! In Java, you can make a String variable to store words and text. But Strings aren't primitive data like integers. Instead, they're objects (because they want to be %u2728special%u2728), so "String" needs to be capitalized whenever you make a String variable. xD I was thinking the cheese smell is just in whatever package Robert was next to? But maybe that's unclear, lol.

OH NO.

:3

Thanks for the review!! <3

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf