(v.) to clear of impurity

by Sassafras

i broke bones smithing a smile that fit your face

molded the curve of your bottom lip out of marrow

and plunged you

smoking skin red and molten in too deep

and then you say you wanted more than me

someone cleaner, less dirt on the sheets

and maybe whose heart didn't echo when it beat

like pounding anvil made your head ache

so you needed birdsong for a migraine

and yeah when i think of you my scars hurt

when i think to be strong my bones curl and ash spills out on the floor

i'm not looking for anything more than a straight frame

or a place in the shade where i can lay

one day

i will begin to sweep

.

Fri May 26, 2017 8:44 am
thanataphobic says...

I'm in love with this.

Sassafras says...

Thank you :D

Timasaurus007 wrote a review...

I think it's a good attempt, with a unique style, though I cannot tell which elements are stylistic choices that are attached to the themes of the poem, if something I comment on that is the case, you're more then welcome to ignore it.

Punctuation, capitalisation, and general grammar is off, though there are no periods to end the sentences and cause a capital letter to be used, the 'I's prevalent in the poem do not use capitals, though I noticed the very start of the poem did not utilise a capital, so I assume this is a stylistic choice. There are random periods that are placed throughout the poem too, and the overall spacing of the lines makes it somewhat hard to read, and can make the poem lose effect, at least for I.

Regarding the poem's messages and themes, I liked them; the fabrication of a love that you long for in another and in the end, against all hopes, they validate your fears in search of another to perpetrate the satisfaction of their own desires and all you're left with is memories and longing. Though the poem does seem somewhat one-dimensional, often a fantastic poem is one that offers many perspectives or narratives, requiring you to read it a couple of times to be able to come to a conclusion on what it is actually about, and thus is subjective in its interpretation, while your poem is somewhat closed in its capacity for interpretation, but if that is what you're aiming for, I think it's fine.

I like some of the choices you made in your expression, such as "smiting", and this line was really strong for me; "when i think to be strong my bones curl and ash spills out on the floor", I also liked the repetition of the idea of bones, such as "marrow" on the first line, and the use of "bone" in the aforementioned line.

In short, I believe it was a good construct, but be sure to look over your stylistic choices and potentially think about other ways you could write it.

Sassafras says...

Totally agreed. Formatting design and stanzas for this poem was tough. Mainly because it was spoken before it was written and spoken word doesn't always translate as gracefully into text.

And the random periods were for spacing purposes lol formatting poetry is hard :/

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Jurelixranoanad wrote a review...

Hi, J here for a review.
I'm not sure if I just didn't understand this poem or it just didn't make much sense, but here we go I'm gonna try to help make this poem a little easier to like.
Grammar.
Smoking skin red and molten in too deep" Your period is below the sentence and it should be at the end of deep. This also happens in line 11 as well.
You need to have commas in several places: after "plunged you" in line 3, after "than me" in line 5, after "my scars hurt" in line 10, and after "one day" in line 15.
You need to have a period after line 6.
Structure.
I'm not sure where to begin with this, your structure was just off. You need to have stanzas instead of lines floating in space. Like lines 1-4 can be together, as can lines 5-9 and 10-15. If you put these together you have stanzas and it makes everything easier to read and understand.
Also I may just be dumb but line 9 is not making much sense to me. what is the birdsong and why does he need it for his migraine?
Anyway this was a good poem with a nice subject matter, all it needs is some work with grammar and structure.

Good Job and Keep Writing!!

If you don't know it's impossible it's easier to do. And because nobody's done it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that again, yet.
— Neil Gaiman