Home » Literary works » Poetry » Fanfiction

a girl filled with wanderlust

by Rosella

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:56 pm
tasfics wrote a review...

I've watched Tangled a thousand times as a child, and honestly, reading your poem just brought the memories flooding back! I love how you described her heart as a vacant jar waiting to be filled with the thrill of life because of two things: one being how it's so true to her character, and two being that I connect to that particular idea of yearning for new experiences. Thanks for writing a beautiful piece that transported me back to times of childhood!!

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:34 pm

Aaa this is very well written! I liked that you had the words "falling" in those two parts, and the all-around word usage!

My review's gonna be a bit short, I'm sorry. But I thought this was really well-written!!

Keep doing what you're doing!

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:28 am
sabyemerald wrote a review...

Hello! I’m Saby and I’m here to review your work.

You don’t know how much I love Rapunzel of Disney’s Tangled. The way the creators mold her to be an entirely different character extracts her from the typical damsel in distress. Anyway, let me warn you that I might be bias in this review.
First, I like how the poem is structured especially the part “Rapunzel, let down your hair” because the way the words are arranged made me imagine Rapunzel at the top of the tower while Mother Gothel is waiting below. Second, there are a few awkward phrases in the poem like, “Let the wicked lady who calls herself her mother climbs up.” I think you could make it “let the witch climb up” because in this way, the phrase is not too mouthy and it also gives an effect that the witch, like the puppeteer, holds Rapunzel’s freedom.

Overall, this is a good poem although I believe that you could make it better. If this poem is narrated in Rapunzel’s persona (because I’m not sure), you should have added a few words to make the readers feel the longing of venturing outside the tower. Because when you want to express the emotions of the persona, you should transport the readers into feeling the same way through metaphors or analogies.

-Saby

P.S. If you want to talk more about Tangled, you can always message me! I’m a huge fan and I want to marry Eugene Fitzherbert.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:14 pm
kman134 wrote a review...

Hi. This is Kman134. I'm here to review your work.

the poem was well detailed and well-represented. your reinterpretation of the Rapunzel fairy tale was ingenious with the philosophical ideas of existentialism and repetition was also played brilliantly. This is evident in Rapunzel's constant use of her hair being used as rope for Dame Gothel who would take amusement in the girl's misery. the only thing Rapunzel wants is to be free and see the outside world, longingly looking for a purpose than being imprisoned in the tower.

the illustration is very creative and talented. i'm unsure if that's your handiwork or someone else's. it amplifies the poem well and gives it more life to the poem.

anyways, this was pretty good. i hope you keep writing some more.

"The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening