z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

The Secret of The Swan Ch26

by Rin321


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Minjun’s eyes widened at a figure looming in the doorway. The guards shook in fright as they snapped their guns back up at the two. Yoongi thought his heart stopped when a deep chuckle vibrated into the room, rocking him to the bone. His blood ran cold.

“You shot and killed your own best friend. Your own partner,” The man in the doorway laughed coldly. Yoongi shook as he looked up. The Swan looked down at them, mask unmoving to show the smile that had to be etched across his face.

Yoongi trembled, not daring to move. The Swan walked to him, kicking the gun out of Yoongi’s hand. Before Yoongi could react The Swan’s polished shoe was making contact with Yoongi’s face.

Yoongi laid on the ground seeing stars as blood gushed from his nose. The monster above him reeled his leg back and kicked him full force in the stomach. Yoongi couldn’t breathe. Pained gasps were all he could make but he felt like he was suffocating.

With Yoongi in shock, The Swan quickly moved onto Minjun whipping out his gun. With a single quick motion, Minjun was on the floor unconscious, blood trickling down his temple from the butt of the gun used.

“Take these pieces of trash down to the cellar with the others and clean up this mess they made,” he ordered quietly. The guards rushed to seize the two men on the ground but The Swan paused the ones reaching for Yoongi.

“You went too far… You’re not a hero, you’re a stupid cop who didn’t know when to quit.”

The Swan stomped down on Yoongi’s outstretched arm and Yoongi howled in pain.

“It’s a shame you killed Seokjin, he was one of the most easy-going officers I had on my roll. He kept an eye on you for me. He just wanted help supporting his family. Do you know how much debt they were in? I guess they’re left to deal with the rest without him, thanks to you,” The Swan sighed with false pity.

Yoongi spat on the heartless man’s shoe. With a grimace The Swan bent down and back handed Yoongi across the face. Yoongi’s eyes were shut and he moaned to cope with the pain.

“If you don’t want to suffer more than you already are going to, I suggest you behave. You and Minjun thought you could take me out this easily? I figure out everything. Because of your plan I called Jinnie here to be a good puppet just in case, I’m glad I did.”

Yoongi reached his other hand out but The Swan simply stomped on it with all his weight, twisting his shoe. Yoongi screamed before he was met but the end of The Swan’s postil to silence him. He laid unconscious, body half on top of his partner’s.

“Finish orders immediately. I now have extra work to do… or should I say, Taehyung does,” The Swan mused, strolling out of the room to change out of his clothes and shoes tainted with the blood of his traitors.

~~~

Taehyung paced his room shaking, He had gotten dressed when he heard the gunshots ring out. What was going on? As much as he hoped The Swan was on the bullet’s end he knew that the probability was slim to none. The screams of pain sent chills down his spine. There was once a time where they wouldn’t have fazed him, but the conscious he now had thanks to Jimin completely changed his demeanor to pain.

The bedroom door suddenly opened and he saw the star of his nightmares standing on the other side. He knew his hopes were in vain.

“It looks like you’re going to be busier today than I thought! It seems like you’re leading the traitor parade these days, sweet Tae,” The Swan said with disguised contempt. He walked up to Taehyung, runninger a finger gently down his cheek. Taehyung’s lip quivered like a scared child’s.

“It’s okay…” he cooed, noticing Taehyung shake. “You have nothing to fear if you just do as you're told. You have one more chance to earn back my trust. You know if I was really that angry you would be locked down there with the others…”

Taehyung’s eyes were glued to the floor fighting back tears. “Please…” he quietly begged. The Swan shook his head and tutted.

“You don’t get an option, Tae. Come with me.”

The Swan reached out his hand and Taehyung hesitantly took it, letting himself be guided by The Devil’s ice cold grip to the cellar.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:22 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm here for a quick review on this chapter :D

I haven't read any previous chapters, so I won't be commenting on pace or things like that. So I'll be focusing on this chapter alone, if that's okay with you!

“You shot and killed your own best friend. Your own partner,” The man in the doorway laughed coldly.


Without context of this story, this line makes me want to read this. Now I need to know what has happened! xD

The quote needs a period at the end instead of a comma since you don't have a tag after it.

Yoongi shook as he looked up.


This is really nitpicky, but you already used "shook" to describe the guards, so it would be cool I you could vary your word choice! :)

Before Yoongi could react The Swan’s polished shoe was making contact with Yoongi’s face.


Ouchh. I would put a comma after "React."

Yoongi couldn’t breathe.


I notice you start a lot of sentences like "Yoongi trembled" or "Yoongi did this." I think it would be great if you could vary your sentence structure and add more descriptions, instead of telling the reader what happened. Like here, you could add more description on how the wind was knocked out of him or something.

“You went too far… You’re not a hero, you’re a stupid cop who didn’t know when to quit.”


It's a bit unclear who is speaking here. I'd add a tag at the end of this!

I guess they’re left to deal with the rest without him, thanks to you,” The Swan sighed with false pity.


Since you don't have a tag at the end of this (like "he said" or "he yelled) you need to end the quote with a period instead of a comma.

Because of your plan I called Jinnie here to be a good puppet just in case, I’m glad I did.”


This technically isn't punctuated correctly. I'll show you how I'd rewrite it! "Because of your plan, I called Jinnie here just in case to be a good puppet. I’m glad I did.”

Taehyung’s eyes were glued to the floor fighting back tears. “Please…” he quietly begged. The Swan shook his head and tutted.


OKAY WHAT IS HAPPENING I need to read this xD

The Swan reached out his hand and Taehyung hesitantly took it, letting himself be guided by The Devil’s ice cold grip to the cellar.


Ooh, I love your ending and comparing The Swan to The Devil with an ice cold grip!

And that's it! This story definitely seems very interesting. I love how I could just jump into a random chapter in your novel and still be quite invested into this. Your novel seems like it has a great plot, and it makes me want to read more. Overall, this was a very enjoyable read, and I hope this helped! :D

Image




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:16 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



Whaaaaaaaaaat was the Swan there the whole time?! Why doesn't Minjun or Yoongi shoot him now!?

So Yoongi's fear has really gripped him hard here, and my question is whether this is consistent with his character. I took him as a tough cop who was able to set aside his feelings for the mission, which means he stays focused on the target and has almost no fear walking into the lion's den. And while he did kill a loved one just now, I don't see how it would make him afraid of the Swan. I basically expected Yoongi to leap up and barrel into the Swan head-on, slamming him into the wall behind or something, you know? So unless this is consistent to his character, like he always tends to completely lose it when faced with the seemingly impossible, I'd probably rethink how the Swan re-enters here. If it is consistent with Yoongi's character, then I would rewrite some of the narration so that we get into his head and get that feeling where he's paralyzed with shock, a jumble of emotions that his brain can't quite comprehend yet, etc.

Okay BUT MINJUN. WHAT DID YOU DO TO MINJUN??

I like what you did to Minjun! I mean, it was sad to see, but it continues to back up the Swan's character and how ruthless he is. He's terrifying and doesn't value human life at all, which makes for the most terrifying villain ever. So taking Minjun's life here so quickly, so efficiently, and without delay really adds another layer of fear to this scene's mood.

This backstory on Seokjin. I'm assuming again some of this was at least foreshadowed before, that the reader got to know Seokjin a bit to feel this loss. Looking at the character from my own perspective, I really like that you gave Seokjin such a difficult scenario to live with. This gives Seokjin that level of desperation, he had a desire/motivation to protect his family, and he was willing to do anything to free them from their debt -- including working for someone like the Swan. It's such a heart-wrenching tale that is so easy for sensitive readers like me to get wrapped up in. It's a shame I didn't get to know Seokjin yeeeet. #ShameOnMe

So I'm curious about Taehyung and why he's still shaking with fear. Now, once again, I didn't really get to know Taeyhung very well since I only started reading at chapter 23, so maybe he's a renowned scaredy-cat. From what I've learned so far, it seemed like Taehyung has a level of safety that the other characters don't have. He's a prisoner, yes, but he still has a freedom of choice the others don't. So what exactly is he afraid of at the start of this scene? That the Swan was coming to kill him anyway, despite what was said a couple chapters ago?

Gosh, the Swan is so creepy! Any bad guy who has that level of confidence and doesn't hesitate to touch people like that is just tHE WORST. It makes me so uncomfortable. Even in this scene, the Swan walking up to stroke Taehyung's cheek felt so WRONG and random. The Swan is so, so creepy. I wonder why the Swan behaves this way? Is he actually insane, like mentally ill? He has some obsession with manipulating people. I wonder what he really wants out of all this. What is the Swan's goal? //tangent

omg is the Swan going to make Taehyung choose who gets to live or something disgustingly awful like that?! I know he's supposed to kill Jimin at least or whoever it was, but... I have a feeling the Swan's about to amend the deal. =________= And with another character dead and another character imprisoned, it is looking less and less likely they'll make it out of this situation. And I LOVe this so much! You've really done well trying your characters, putting them in worse and worse situations, leaving me as the reader out-of-breath in suspense and stress. It's so exciting!!

I look forward to the next chapter. Keep writing!!

Jabber, the One and Only!




Rin321 says...


I love reading rants and you all getting into the storyline, I live for it!
One clarification, Minjun is NOT dead, he was just pistol whipped and knocked out!
The Swan is messed up on many levels, when I get to write the rest it should be pretty defined, I'm glad you're enjoying it all and that the effect is reaching!
Thank you so much!



JabberHut says...


Ahh, okay! Thanks for that clarification! I'm sure I just jumped the gun with that assumption. XD I really am looking forward to reading more, I'm glad to hear you're still sticking with this story! It's been really fun to read. :D



Rin321 says...


thank you so much!



User avatar


Points: 40
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:08 pm
View Likes
Blou wrote a review...



Hey!
I had to look up these names because they look Korean and I was not disappointed. I am ALL FOR living your best BTS crime fanfiction life.
I haven't read your previous chapters so forgive me if something I don't understand is clarified in earlier chapters.
First of all, I like the immediacy of your writing. You write action in a way that shows that you know action writing, which sort of settles me into the comfort of this torture scene. Vicarious masochism isn't my thing but I can respect it here. Reminds me of Tokyo Ghoul a little bit.
You have a lot of exposition via the Swan, and the rest of this is mostly being kicked around, blood, breathlessness, stars... very provocative. Where I think you could benefit is to describe the surroundings a bit more. The surroundings of wherever these people are doesn't have to be a chore to describe. The dankness and coldness of this place can mirror and highlight the their pain, and would help to ground the reader in the story—otherwise it's just talking heads. I'd also like to have some inner monologue about how much this or that guy means to this or that guy. when someone you love is being kicked in the stomach, you experience a whole lot. memory flashbacks, fear of their death, fierce protectiveness—Yes, this scene is fast-paced, but in this situation, time goes buck-wild. long thoughts can flash before your eyes in a second.
good luck!




Rin321 says...


Thank you so much! Great review! Comments like these help so much for when I finish and go through and rewrite the whole thing :)



Blou says...


glad i could help :)




life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae