z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

The Secret of The Swan: Ch1

by Rin321


The night was miserably dreary and cold. Taehyung could see his breath vapor in front of him as he lay in wait. It was his third week into tracking his latest assignment. Every night he sat in wait down the street from the home of Jung Hoseok.

Jung was twenty-four years of age, the oldest child in the family home. He lived with his parents and younger sister. During the day he was a detective and came home approximately nine o'clock every night. Taehyung could assume that due to the lack of deviation from this monotonous schedule that Jung was not in a relationship, nor had many friends outside of work.

Taehyung continued to wait and watch in silence. The dark echoed around him, kept him company in the small black Toyota Corolla. Over the years he had grown used to the feeling of staking out alone. Ever since he’d finished his training provided by The Swan, he was on his own, pursuing subjects he was assigned.

He looked down and checked his phone, it was almost nine. He noticed that Jung’s parents and sister were leaving the home, as planned. Sunday nights the family left before nine to attend the service at the local church, leaving Jung alone once he got home. Taeyhung smiled to himself. This assignment was easier than some of his other ones. He hated having to take action when families were around. He didn’t like what his job was, but he chose loyalty for The Swan over his morals. At least with the family gone, he wouldn’t have to harm them or let them see what he would do to his target.

What Jung Hoseok had done to get on the bad side of The Swan, Taehyung didn’t know. He didn’t get to ask questions either. He just knew he had to get the job done, clean and simple. Stakeout his subject, get information, terminate, and leave undetected.

He couldn't make a mistake as he did two years ago. He was close to being caught by a nosey neighbor he did not account for when cleaning up after a job. They had to relocate here to Daegu to avoid attention from the authorities. The Swan was not pleased. Taehyung was locked in his apartment once they relocated, left with little food, no phone, no nothing. Taehyung had to earn back his trust, and since that mistake has taken extra measures to be careful.

He checks his phone again, ten after nine. The family had most likely gotten to the church five minutes ago, leaving him less than an hour and a half to get what he needed to do. Where was Jung?

He had little time to dwell because Jung’s red Prius had made its way up the darkened street. Cautiously, it pulled up into the garage. Taehyung watched Jung enter the garage door into the home as the large door closed. Taehyung took a breath and gathered together his things. Slipping on his small black messenger bag, he slipped out of his car. Locking it behind him, he began to slink down the dark street to the Jung home. It was time.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 97
Reviews: 103

Donate
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:48 am
View Likes
Samhain wrote a review...



Hello there! Here's my review:

Technically and grammatically, everything's fine and great. You vary your sentence styles and you are creative with word choice. Thumbs up on that.

Now, to the story. The one thing you really don't want to do, in your first chapter or in any chapter, is info-dump. It is a lot of information thrown at the reader and none of it is retained, and the reader quickly loses interest. What is more intriguing for a reader is to read an opening chapter that throws the character into a scene of mystery, where you don't know who the character is, why he's there, or any of his backstory. And then, through action, dialogue with other characters, and using the environment, let the story tell itself in a way. I will construct a short example (using some of your words) using the premise of your story:

"Taehyung sat quietly in his Toyota Corolla, the night echoing around him. He pulled out his phone with a sigh. The last message sent from the Swan read: "Your next assignment is a man named Jung Hoseok. You better not fail this time."
Taehyung glared at the screen. "I know, boss," he thought. He shook his head. He wished he could be with Jung's family at church. Instead, he would be the reason they came home to an empty house, their loved one gone without a trace, never to be seen again..."

Again, that's just an example. I sincerely hope this review helps and inspires you.




Rin321 says...


Thank you for reading and reviewing! I will improve that, trying the lace info in the story to build is so readers understand has been one of my biggest obstacles!



User avatar
151 Reviews


Points: 4549
Reviews: 151

Donate
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:28 am
View Likes
writerkitty wrote a review...



^-^ Helloo! Writerkitty here with a review for you! ( :D Tis good to see you back on YWS!! I'm not sure whether you still remember me though xD Anyway, welcome back!! ^^)

This is quite an interesting concept and right off the bat, I just had a loooot of questions and I really want to learn more about Taehyung, Jung and as well as about the organization.
You've done a great job in hooking the readers to your story and keeping them intrigued till the end. :D

Another thing that I liked about your story, is that you started it with all the action and provide the background information later on. ^-^ This is quite nice because it doesn't make the story boring or give away too much information.

Swan seems like a really mysterious organization and I'm really curious to know what kind of motives they have. :O They really don't seem like a good type of organization....because they assign people to kill others. O.o And that's basically what most gangs do anyway.

What Jung Hoseok had done to get on the bad side of The Swan, Taehyung didn’t know. He didn’t get to ask questions either. He just knew he had to get the job done, clean and simple. Stakeout his subject, get information, terminate, and leave undetected.


Mysterious, strict and super secretive... It appears they don't give out a lot of information even to the people working under the organization. Or maybe they don't give lot of information to Taehyung because of the previous incident that had happened...but then again, it was a mistake with an unwanted witness, so most probably they just let their workers know only the most essential detail. ^^

He had little time to dwell because Jung’s red Prius had made its way up the darkened street. Cautiously, it pulled up into the garage. Taehyung watched Jung enter the garage door into the home as the large door closed. Taehyung took a breath and gathered together his things. Slipping on his small black messenger bag, he slipped out of his car. Locking it behind him, he began to slink down the dark street to the Jung home. It was time.


Ooh, I love how you ended the chapter at one of the most suspenseful moments... O.o I'm really curious to know what might've happened next! Will Jung get killed? Will Taehyung succeed in getting perfectly executing his mission, would things go wrong? And if that happens what will Swan do about it? Aah, so many questions! :O

I do have a few suggestions, but they're 'just' suggestions, so feel free to ignore them if you want... :D

He looked down and checked his phone, it was almost nine. He noticed that Jung's parents and sister were leaving the home, as planned.


I think it's better if you wrote 'house' instead of home here, because it feels as if it's not paired with the correct article. Or you can remove 'the' from it. (again, this one's just a suggestion ^^)

Taehyung took a breath and gathered together his things.


I think it's more suiting to write 'his things together' than 'together his things' ^^

During the day, he was a detective and came home approximately nine o'clock every night.


I think a comma is missing after 'day'



Well, that's all for now. ^-^ This was quite an interesting and suspenseful chapter, and I'm really looking forward the read the rest!

Keep writing!!

writerkitty




Rin321 says...


Hi! Thank you, I'm happy to be back, I remember you! I've seen you liking my other chapters too lol
Thank you for your interest! It gives me so much confidence, I'm so happy that TSOTS is being received so well! You made some great suggestions, I'm going to use some when going back and editing later on! :)



writerkitty says...


^-^ Hehe, of course!! And I'm glad that you remember me ^^

Keep up the awesome work!! :D
I hope you have a wonderful day/night! ^^



Rin321 says...


You too!



User avatar
206 Reviews


Points: 8788
Reviews: 206

Donate
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:43 am
View Likes
Honora wrote a review...



Hello Rin! I am Honora and I am here to leave you a review to this excellent piece of work!
So, since I’ve never reviewed your stuff before, I will give you a run down on how I work things. I first tell you what I think can be edited and then I go on to tell you what I love. That way I can leave you on a positive note! :D my main thing I want to say, is don’t take any offence to anything I say. I never mean to insult but just to help you out and hope you grow from it! :D

Alright review time!

So I literally only found one thing.
...and since that mistake has taken extra measures to be careful.
Basically nothing wrong but maybe add he in between mistake and has. Just so it doesn’t break up the wonderful flow your book has.

Overall I really enjoyed this. Just enough suspense to make me want to read more, enough info about this “organization” that I’m intrigued to know more about his relationship with it, and a pretty good character development already. I love how there’s no info dump about who he is and why he works for The Swan. That’s always awesome to add gradually.

Love it! I will be reviewing your other chapters! Oh and could you tag me in these?

Your friend,
Honora




Rin321 says...


Thank you so much! I will make a not and edit that :)

What do you mean by tag you? it's literally been years since I've written and did things on YWS lmao, I'm rusty! Let me know and I'll do it for sure!



Honora says...


If you copy and paste the link to your chapter when you write more and put an @ before my username, it will notify me that you have written more :D



Rin321 says...


oh so just make a post on my wall or something with the link and @ you?



Honora says...


Yep! You can go look in my wall to see :D



Rin321 says...


Ok!



User avatar
100 Reviews


Points: 7
Reviews: 100

Donate
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:20 am
View Likes
Em16 wrote a review...



I loved the sense of anticipation. As I read more and more, I became more curious about the story. I have so many questions, and I want to read on and get answers. Definitely keep that up, it’s a key element of writing.
Your writing style was very clear, but it was a little episodic. There are times when the flow is abrupt, going from one fact to another. I would suggest trying to incorporate more smooth transitions between sentences, and finding a way to connect them more.
I also want to know more about Taeyhung. Who is he? Why is he with the Swan? Does he have any moral qualms about killing people? I didn’t really get a sense of Taehyung as a narrator. I felt like his voice was very impersonal, and I couldn’t quite get a grasp on who he is. Since he’s the narrator, I think it’s important to get a solid grip on his character and personality within the first few pages. Taehynung has such an enormous influence on the story, and his thoughts could really spice up the narration.
I’d also like to get more of a sense of the the Swan. Right now, I know he/she is a gang leader, and they want Jung dead, but that’s about it. What makes them special? How are they different from other gang leaders? How do they treat Taehyung? Right now, I know the Swan gets mad easily, and punishes Taeyhung harshly, but that’s characteristic of most gang leaders. The Swan could be such an enigmatic character, especially because they have such a unique name for a gang leader. Why are they called the Swan? That’s what I want to know.
Overall, this story was very well written, but it felt a little hollow. It seemed very similar to a lot of books I’ve read and movies I’ve watched. I’d like to see more unique details, things that make this story your story. I know that sounds weird. I’d just like to see more personal details about this story, and the characters. What does Taehyung do while he’s waiting for Jung? Does he chew a special flavor of gum that calms him down? What does he think of Jung? Does he judge him for not having any friends? Does he sympathize with his lonely existence? Is there anything special about Jung (besides the fact that the Swan wants to kill him)? Does he have a customized license plate on his Prius? What does he look like? Is he taller or shorter than Taehyung expected?
I did like, however, the way you made a point of describing each character’s car. Those details really stuck out to me and emphasized the contrast between Taehyung and Jung, that Jung had a Prius (an expensive car) and Taehyung had a Toyota Carolla (a less expensive car) both made by the same manufacturer, Toyota. Nice job! I look forward to reading more of your writing.




Rin321 says...


you have so many questions and I love it! It's all being developed and I'm going to keep posting the chapters so you can keep up with it if you wish :)
I have in each chapter the view being third person omnicient, with more focus on one character however; I understand the jumping of facts, it's hard to write a story from the beginning and figure out ways to put the backstory to make it all make sense, you know?
I will work on adding more details to the characters to develop them better, I 100% agree on that!
Thank you for taking the time and reading and reviewing my work, I love your interest and it motivates me to keep writing and improving this story :)



Rin321 says...


Big point as well, I'm going to keep the identity of The Swan hidden until the end in a big reveal, I have the whole basic plotline and big events planned out, and all will make sense, The Swan's identity, purpose, the reason behind the name, all the pieces will fit together ;)



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 8
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:54 pm
View Likes



Wow! That's really good! The story line I do have a few questions about, but I am sure that all of them will be answered in the coming chapters. There is one grammar mistake, when you say, "No nothing," that's a double negative. But other than that, it looks good. There is good enough of both tension and curiosity of what kind of mission Taehyung must do. Why must he do it. What is "The Swan?" This questions keep me interested, so keep it up!




Rin321 says...


I'm loving the interest and questions! Yes, it's like a book so things will be unfolded as the chapters are written and things will line up, so if you're interested, you can keep reading bc I'll keep posting chapters, I love the interest that readers like you have!
The grammar mistake, thank you for pointing that out, I will fix that!



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 8
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:54 pm
polishcommonwealth wrote a review...



Wow! That's really good! The story line I do have a few questions about, but I am sure that all of them will be answered in the coming chapters. There is one grammar mistake, when you say, "No nothing," that's a double negative. But other than that, it looks good. There is good enough of both tension and curiosity of what kind of mission Taehyung must do. Why must he do it. What is "The Swan?" This questions keep me interested, so keep it up!





Every first draft is perfect, because all a first draft has to do is exist.
— Jane Smiley