z

Young Writers Society



Do Not Touch the Display

by Sassafras


He loved with the same intensity of those that collect beautiful things; 

wanted her in a glass case, wings pinned,

in a glass vase, stem cut.

Wanted her preserved and untouched 

by all but his own hands, 

that he swore would not stain, 

but left her skin grimy where he stroked 

greedy fingers over her perfection.

(Edit) 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:53 pm
View Likes
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Yams here for a review!

The imagery is what really stood out for me. The first stanza has a lot of that, and it rocks. The rest of the poem was repetitive on purpose but I didn't find the repetitiveness with "Like" helping the poem.

He loved with the same intensity of those that collect beautiful things;

wanted her in a glass case, wings pinned,

in a glass vase, stem cut.


This is all one sentence/line/whatever with a lot of commas that just feel like they're screwing up the flow. I suggest breaking it into two sentence/line/whatevers.

Wanted her preserved and untouched

by all but his own hands,

that he swore would not stain,

but left her skin grimy where he stroked

greedy fingers over her perfection.


Same here, this is all one sentence/line/whatever and you have rarely any periods in it. The only period in these five lines is at the end.

Overall with the punctuation I'd just suggest putting some periods in there and taking out some commas where they don't really need to be.

The flow. The first stanza was long and then the other two (are you even calling them stanzas after the first stanza?) are short and repetitive. Change it up a little. Change line length, words used. The first stanza had lots of good imagery (if we're calling it that) but then after it is not as good imagery and it's a vast change from long stanza to /short/ stanza.

Those were just my thoughts. The imagery rocked. Have a great day and I hope you feel better if this was a personal poem.




User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 2722
Reviews: 44

Donate
Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:13 am
View Likes
Tammi wrote a review...



Hey!
After a long time i came across a poem i re-read, not because i wanted to examine it but simply as it fascinated me!
Well, the title gave me an impression not at all related to the content but as i read i realized how unique the title is!(keep it up!)
(is this poem about forced prostitutes, narrow minded men as that's what i felt about it)
If it is then my friend, you have surely dealt with a sensitive topic very very wisely!
Everything about this poem is so perfect.
No comments and only compliments!





Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100