z

Young Writers Society


12+

Bittersweet

by MapleWay


Two emotions,

One body.

Bittersweet.

I’m happy,

I truly am.

But there is a speck of sadness,

Lingering around me.

It tells me to be sad,

To be upset.

And I don’t want to listen.

But the words have already been spoken.

The seed has been planted.

And I have waited far too long to remove it.

So is this it then?

am I forever destined to be bittersweet?

Maybe.

I’m just not sure.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
459 Reviews


Points: 10092
Reviews: 459

Donate
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:06 pm
Poor Imp wrote a review...



Hullo!

This is a perfect subject for a reflective poem. I like the images of planted, seeds, and bitterness. Since poetry depends so vitally on image and sense-language, I wonder if you could develop that/those images more, using them as the root and earth of the poem? For example, "The see has been planted./And I have waited far too long to remove it." might be the first bit of the verse. How could you deepen it? Often seeds left in bad earth or planted in too much water rot. Perhaps develop the sense of bitter/sweet of herbs that have been left to grow too long, flower, become bitter?

Ending on the ambivalent works quite well, leaving the emotion open, and the reader wondering.

I'd love to see a re-draft with the image of seeds-plant-herbs-bittersweet used to carry the emotion and the story.




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 49988
Reviews: 701

Donate
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:52 am
View Likes
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...



Hello! Here for a review!!

Two emotions,

One body.

Bittersweet.

I guess the punctuations might not be correct. Maybe u could put a dash instead of full stop before bittersweet. I am quite unsure of this one.
I couldn't find any other mistakes. But... In the third line from the last, is using small letters in ‘am’ intentional?

Overall, a very good work. It showed how life is! It portrayed that anything doesn't stay for long. I really liked it.

~Forever




User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 491
Reviews: 21

Donate
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:58 am
View Likes
TheClosetWriter wrote a review...



This poem was so powerful to me as it describes the development of sadness in a new light. When we are young, sadness is most often inflicted by the world around us however, as we age, we often bring misery unto ourselves. Consequently, we are subjected to depression in a different way and we become divided. Happiness turns into a concept that we have to earn by our own standards and frequently, these standards are very difficult to attain. Besides its original take on a common idea in our lives, I love the simple organization of this piece. It flows well and has a gorgeous smoothness to it. There is practically nothing I would do to change it. Thus, I hope this powerful concept goes on to inspire other works.




MapleWay says...


Thanks for the kind review! :D





Of course! This poem really struck a chord with me. You have a gift. ;)



MapleWay says...


:D




Nobody wants to see the village of the happy people.
— Lew Hunter