Home » Literary works » Poetry » Lyrical

12+

Friendship is a Dandelion

by MapleWay

Friendship is a dandelion.

It is a beautiful sight to behold.

But can be blown down very easily.

You have to shelter it and protect it

try not to get distracted.

And if you can accomplish this,

Your friendship will bloom fantastically.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:49 am
WishIHadASword wrote a review...

Hey, how are you? I'm here to do a review on this FANTASTIC poem because I found it so beautiful! I'm definitely no pro when it comes to reviews, but I'll tell you my thoughts!

My first thought when I saw this poem was: Wow, it's short! But when I started reading, I realized that this was one of the most amazing poems I've ever read, all fit into only about 7 lines! You got the message and emotions across clearly and precisely without even trying hard at all, and I absolutely love this poem!

I absolutely adore your comparison of friendship and a dandelion; it's so clever and creative! You say that it's a beautiful sight to behold, and that's true for both! I love looking at dandelions, and there's definitely nothing more beautiful than a good friendship! You also said that it can be blown down very easily. While I do agree with this very much so, it also brought me to another idea! Most dandelions are blown down by other people, and I feel like many friendships end that way too; because of some other person.

You said that you have to shelter and protect a friendship. I can definitely relate to that! My friendships are one of the most important things in my life, and I will do almost anything to protect them. And then you say that if we accomplish all this, our friendship with blook fantastically. First of all, I LOVE your choice of words! It makes it sound so beautiful and colorful and emotional!

To close off, I just want to say I love this poem so much! You did a fantastic job, and I definitely want to read more writing like this.

Keep up the awesome work!

MapleWay says...

Thank you so much! This review made my day!

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:10 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

What a cute and lovely poem! c: You have been writing so much poetry lately, which I think is absolutely awesome ^_^ I hope you don't mind me leaving you a review on this one!

I love the metaphor between friendship and a dandelion. Both are beautiful, but both are fragile -> and that idea was well conveyed throughout your poem. Another thing I noticed was that you said "Friendship is a dandelion" -> instead of saying "is like" or using a simile, you just called friendship a dandelion -> this makes the comparison a lot stronger, as metaphors tend to be a bit stronger than similes :p So I really loved the way you chose to go about this!

I also like how you talked about sheltering the dandelion as the way you need to protect your friendship. It's an interesting thought and comparison, and for me, it really worked! ^_^

I don't have many suggestions for you, just a couple of things I'd like to point out c: These are just suggestions though, so if you don't agree, then please feel free to ignore me!

I noticed that you capitalized every line except for this one

try not to get distracted.

Usually, I try to be consistent with my capitalization in poetry, so I recommend the same to you! it is a stylistic choice though, so you don't have to listen to me if you don't agree :) but it's just a thought to consider!

Also, I think it would be interesting to talk about what distractions could, well, distract you xD like hmm, it doesn't have to be something real, like "oh don't get distracted by only taking notice in yourself and forgetting about me." it could be something trivial and metaphorical, like "don't get distracted by the sweet cotton candy" or maybe counting all the clouds in the sky, or chasing kites, or something random! it was just a thought I had in mind, and I figured I'd share it c:

One last suggestion -

I think it would be lovely to read about what it blooms into! like hm, does it burst into rainbow colours or something? xD does it form a huge flower, or a softer and more delicate one? What colours does it bloom into? These are just some thoughts to consider, you don't have to do anything with them if you don't agree ^_^ I think just in general it might be helpful to add a bit more descriptions, like in your second line - what kind of a sight is it? I would love to see how it looks c:

And that's all I got for you! Overall, I think this was a pretty cute poem with a well written metaphor. I always enjoy reading your poetry, and I hope to read more soon :D I hope this helped! <3

BrokenHeartsAri wrote a review...

Hi, brokenHeartsAri here for a short review!

I hope you are having a great day so far.

"Friendship is a dandelion.

It is a beautiful sight to behold.

But can be blown down very easily.

You have to shelter it and protect it

try not to get distracted.

And if you can accomplish this,

Your friendship will bloom fantastically."

You are correct Friendship is a dandelion. We have to protect it.

It needs daily love and care to blossom. If you forget to give it water, the flower dies.

When the flower dies it's hard to bring it back.

I love how you compared friendship to a Dandelion.

My favorite line was

"But can be blown down very easily"

This is very true.

a true friend is someone who has your back, no matter what.
They watch out for you and ensure you are not in danger.
They will never purposely lead you into making decisions that aren't good for you.
A true friendship will always have your best interest at heart.

That's why I think
works so well.

I don't really have any criticism this was flawless and I enjoyed reading this poem.

Keep up the great work!-BrokenHeartsAri

akanbright wrote a review...

Hey dear. Akanbright here for a review!!
I really love the poem and It benovolent constructive lines.
Its a short one and I bet on the simplicity of the poem which seem to define in itself a different kind of diction all linked up to give clarity to the appropraicy of the poit em.
Unlike other poems I read, though short, yet makes no sense. If I'm permitted to analyze your work, I would say that you got it right there on friendship. Though briefly spoken, yet we could see that friendship is an amazing thing but like the others, it isn't immune but vulnerable to certain factors capable of breaking and demoralizing its true nature.
In real sense, friendship weilds power and it becomes a do away when it is broken. You're right when you pointed out that it needs shelter and protection because one thing I've come to realize is that remembering wrongs can end and break up a friendship.
Once again, I say its a nice one and I hope to review more of your works.

MapleWay says...

Thanks, akan!

akanbright says...

Glad I could give a review

*Sad football bagpipes*
— DougalOfBiscuits