I Wrote a Poem

by LittleCaroleen

I wrote a poem.

Isn’t that nice?
It was written in free verse,
Just like this.
They rejected it,
Said it was worthless

I was myself.
Isn’t that how it goes?
I was a free soul.
Just like I am now.
They rejected me.
Said I was useless.

They were right.
Isn’t that true?
After all are you really free,
If they control you?
I was pointless,

Because I let them reject me.

SecreteJournalist wrote a review...

I do like this poem, it kinda you know... shows how poetry and society really work!
I really do not have much to say wrong about this! Like really, I am swooning at this poem xD

Oh, and by the way, I am SecreteJournalist, but feel free to call me Brie!

My favorite is the last line 'Because I let them reject me' .. its awesome

Great work!

sbitonti wrote a review...

Love love love this poem!
It captures everything about poetry and society in about 3 stanzas, and that is an accomplishment itself!
You do a very good job of connecting with the reader by incorporating personal elements. This makes your opinion approachable.
This poem is actually impeccable, I can't find anything wrong with it, spelling or grammatically, wise. And since I think you did a swell job conveying your message to the audience, this poem is a 10/10!
I enjoyed this immensely.

Happy Review Day!!!
-Sbitonti

Niraco wrote a review...

Hello there!

I personally really like this poem, even if it was horribly written (which it isn't) I we would still like the point of it. A poem about a poem isn't something I normally see, it's quite an original idea and it can - to some people - go deeper than just poemception XD. After all, may know the feeling of being rejected or being told that they aren't good enough, so this poem is something people can easily relate to and agree with.

I like how in the first stanza the persona talks about this poem by saying 'just like this.' It makes it a lot more personal and we feel a lot closer to the poet.

In the second stanza it goes for the same relatable theme again. We all know that from an early age people encourage you to just be yourself and do what you feel is right. This poem says what most of us think : sometimes being yourself isn't good enough. It doesn't always get you what you deserve. It gives a realistic point of view on what happens to everyone at some point in their life.

Finally, the last stanza shows the poet's final thoughts. This is the part where we really think about the poets point.

I really like how relatable this poem is and it's been thought out and written well with a clear and realistic point. Well done!

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:30 am
KnightTeen wrote a review...

Hey, this is Knight Teen of the KOTGR. (If you don't know what that is, we have a forum in the lounge. You should check it out.)

I thought that this was very well written, and that the stanzas were nicely spaced. Your grammar and spelling are excellent. (This is a writing site, we would expect it to be that way, but you would be surprised at the lack of grammar and spelling that can occur at times. Everyone has done it.)

Your narrative is easily relatable, which is something that I look at when reviewing poetry. If it's not relatable, then hardly anyone is going to be able to understand what exactly you are trying to say.

The rhythm is a little off at times, particularly after the first stanza, but I kind of like it. It's just one thing that sets you apart from the rest.

All I have left to say is, good job!

HT

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:00 am
Morticiansdaughter19 wrote a review...

That was a very interesting poem! I like the message behind it, as long as you are yourself and you love what you write, shouldn't that be enough? As for a rhythm I just couldn't pick it up. It pulled me in because it had an interesting meaning behind it, but I didn't get the rhythm of the poem. But for the most part it was interesting a still fun to read! Keep writing! :)

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
— Groucho Marx