z

Young Writers Society



Irrational Rationality

by Kale


There are times when I deny the things I KNOW
beyond doubt, when my rationality turns in
upon itself and becomes an object
of habitual consensus, and
I deny the things I KNOW because
no other has observed such, and a
phenomenon that cannot be observed
or replicated by an impartial tester has no
place in the objective world of Reason. I
forget that all I observe of the
objective world is tinted by my
perception, and that no one will
ever observe the objective world exactly
the same as me.

So then why do I deny the things I KNOW beyond doubt
even now when I KNOW such denial is
irrational?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 668
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:17 am
DukeofWonderland wrote a review...



Hello there ^_^

Starting off, your whole first paragraph is just two sentences! Maybe you should really shorten the first one, split it or something. Maybe replace the comma after "consensus" with a full-stop.

Then,

I deny the things I KNOW because
no other has observed such, and a
phenomenon that cannot be observed
or replicated by an impartial tester has no
place in the objective world of Reason.

This second part of the sentence isn't easy to understand. I half understand, so your leaving the reader to do the other half of the putting together.

In the next statement, the repetition of the word objective strikes you as out of flow, that of the word observe doesn't. This sentence makes great sense and is the best part of your piece.
Lastly, I suggest you put a comma after the "So then"- that helps add a hint of drama to the reading.

Hope that helps,
~Duke




Random avatar

Points: 765
Reviews: 18

Donate
Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:17 am
JesusFreak900 wrote a review...



Why, indeed? It blows me away how people, myself included, can pass off things such as love, faith, and miracles and take them for granted or simply deny their existance when they are shoved in front of our faces. Those are just examples. I love the way your poem sounds like a logic problem you are working through inside your head. The funny thing is... you solved it!! Thanks for that :)





"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein