Angel

by Kale

Written for a picture prompt. The picture can be found here, for those who are curious.

---

Angel

A glint of silver. A flash of gold. Vibrant red dimmed from violence.

Gleaming eyes. Pearly teeth. Palest skin, stranger to the soaring sun.

And the heart of their focus is an angel, rare and radiant, illumed to beauty with light from within. She sits on bowed knees, her spirit almost broken, helpless and fragile and tantalizingly vulnerable. It would be so easy to extinguish that inner light, the darkness carelessly muses, so very easy. Only the barest hinting remains of the blazing that was.

And yet, the shadows tenderly caress the angel’s form like an artist caresses the figures he paints with pigments and kisses of brushes. They do not encroach upon the light’s waning domain; instead they dance quietly on the border, enhancing by contrast the beauty of the paling in a perpetual dusk.

And it is lovely.

The darkness broke her - the loneliness, the lack of life. The darkness could unmake her, change her into more of its kind, lightless, lifeless, lonely. But the darkness will not. The light, faint and fragmented as it is, is beautiful. And that light belongs to the darkness now.

Just as the angel does.

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:41 am

Oooh this is an intriguing start here. It seems like we've either got an angel being described as falling from their position as an angel for some reason, or I think in the more metaphorical sense here someone that had some more angelic qualities than most is for some reason having that more angelic side of her stripped away here. Its quite a powerful start here.

And it is lovely.

Well that's an interesting little image to slip in there. Right after we've got what seems to be the inciting incident there we've got ourselves a nice strong and rather abstract little image there to sort of visualize the extent of what's going on here and I absolutely love the way that its bringing this idea from the start to life here. Let's see how this goes towards that ending here.

Just as the angel does.

Well it seems we end in an interesting almost stalemate of sorts there judging by what appears to have gone down there. It does seem clear that the angel was robbed of the light and the angelic nature but there's also some mention of how light still seems to have some sort of place within the darkness. At any rate, you've left us with quite some intriguing imagery and lots to think about here.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:51 pm
Angels-Symphony wrote a review...

Hey Kyllorac ^^ Shina here for a review ;)

Good imagery here, however I'd suggest somehow combining these lines so it's less cliche. The whole "glint of silver" has been used before, so add a bit of a twist.

Pearly? Or Pearl-white?

The sun "soaring" is also questionable. I don't think that's the right word here.

She sits on bowed knees, her spirit almost broken, helpless and fragile and tantalizingly vulnerable.

The repitition of the "and" in the end kind of ruins it for me. Maybe just commas to break it up.

It would be so easy to extinguish that inner light, the darkness carelessly muses, so very easy.

You need a semicolon after "inner light" or a period because the "darkness" part is a different thought.

Only the barest hinting remains of the blazing that was.

I thought the narrator was just talking about extinguishing the light earlier, and now, it is?

And it is lovely.

You're starting an awful lot of sentences with conjunctions. It's losing its effect.

The darkness broke her - the loneliness, the lack of life.

EM dash is "--" with no spaces between the words.

The darkness could unmake her, change her into more of its kind, lightless, lifeless, lonely.

After "kind" you either need a colon or a semicolon because it's a list.

Also, I'm pretty sure that darkness is "lightless", that's redundant :P

But the darkness will not. The light, faint and fragmented as it is, is beautiful. And that light belongs to the darkness now.

Wait, I thought you just said that the darkness won't change the light? How does it "belong" to the darkness now? You need to be more clear about what exactly is going on.

Just as the angel does.

Wait, what? O_O

Like I said, you need to fill in the gaps between these thoughts because it seems just like a lot of imagery and a hazy story.

What's the meaning? What's the story? I have an idea of what you mean, but I had to put effort into understanding. Good writing means that the reader can read it effortlessly, but the writer must put a lot of effort into the writing for that to happen ;)

-Shina

Nice. I like this a lot. It gives me a grey-silver-black colour. To me, also says mysterious to me. Like, when I was reading it, my mind was all silvery grey black with fog steaming up everywhere. I love dark stories. ^^

Dreamworx95 wrote a review...

And the heart of their focus is an angel, rare and radiant, illumed to beauty with light from within.

Illuminated.

Wow, this was pretty poetic. Beautifully written, but I think it was a little hard to understand. Is this a first chapter/prologue or a short story? It's not good as a short story, I can tell you that right now.

Hannah says...

This was written under the assumption that most of the people would not be looking at the picture. The site the prompt/contest is on does not allow linking at all and even breaks urls if you try and include them in an author's note. And it kind of is... >.>

Hehe, it's probably just my personal OCD speaking then. During contests or things of that sort, where I could take a little shortcut and kind of just like get some material from describing what the reader will never see or anything like that, I feel guilty about it and try to take the long way around, so don't worry too much about it, then. I suppose in that case it's necessary. xD

Haughty was not what I was going for. Oh dear. I was going for poetically pretty. I'm hoping this was just your annoyance speaking. >.>

Illumed actually is a word and is basically a shorter form of the word "illuminated." Firefox is lovely and all, but any automated spellchecker should never be fully trusted as they only contain the most common words in a language. I've lost count of the number of times Word's autocorrect has switched scientific terms I've written into some other word. -_-

Well, yes, I've heard the word before, but why not just use illuminated then? Hehe. It sounds pretty, don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful word, actually! xD I just suppose that there's a really delicate balance between effortlessly poetically pretty and a piece where it's obvious that that's what the intent was. I think that here the author showed through the writing, which should be avoided. xD

I didn't think of it that way. Personally, I'm fond of the repetition. If enough people bring it up, though, I'll change it.

^___^ Well, of course! This /is/ your piece and if this is the exact tone you were going for and you want to stick with it, then by all means do so! This is your writing and if comments infringe on pieces that you never had any intent to change and really don't want to, then don't even consider it. ^__^

I do apologize if my review seemed insulting at any point, because that's not what I was going for. <3

I simply feel like there are so many ways that you can go with this beginning, that I'm kind of upset you stopped where you did. : D

-Hannah-

Kale says...

Thanks you three, especially you, Hannah, for the reviews.

@Hannah - My ego took a pretty hard blow, but it will live, and I can see where you're coming from.

From reading this through one time and visiting the picture that you said inspired you, I feel like this is a weak attempt at sticking a story behind the picture, and that you spend too much time describing the physical situation which is already set out in the picture.

Why not, instead of copying exactly what the picture shows into writing, expand away from that and really create your own characters that are based in personality rather than what they look like?

Because I do that all the time in my writing. I often get complaints that I don't spend enough time on description or making things pretty, so something pretty and description-filled this is.

I miss having characters.

For example: The word 'illumed' here is not even a real word {well, Firefox doesn't think it is}, and I know it was just used for that haughty effect.

we can see she's vulnerable already from 'helpless and fragile', so maybe take out one or more of those word to avoid redundancy.

Crownlessking wrote a review...

I love this sort of Wordsworthian description, existing somewhere between the Gods and the eyes of a painter. Forget all the punctuation pedants, this piece, especially at the beginning, sparkles with hints of alliteration and consonance and the simple aesthetic pleasure of phrases such as 'illumed to beauty' and 'tantalizingly vulnerable'.

I would only say that the final larger paragraph pales into a more one-dimensional feel, losing some of the contrasting subject matter that harmonises so well in the first two.

Still, Crackalacking.

Hallo! ^_^ I'm Hannah. I saw this pop up and thought I'd pop in and offer a few comments.

From reading this through one time and visiting the picture that you said inspired you, I feel like this is a weak attempt at sticking a story behind the picture, and that you spend too much time describing the physical situation which is already set out in the picture. Why not, instead of copying exactly what the picture shows into writing, expand away from that and really create your own characters that are based in personality rather than what they look like?

Inspiration doesn't mean you have to stick to what is shown.

As for the writing, it comes off as stiflingly poetic. It's pretty at first, but then it just gets kind of annoying. I don't mean to be harsh or anything, but there are a lot of words/phrases you use that are only used when you're trying to make the writing sound prettier and more poetic. I think that if you put the effort into it, you could make a beautiful, inspired piece without using these crutches.

And the heart of their focus is an angel, rare and radiant, illumed to beauty with light from within. She sits on bowed knees, her spirit almost broken, helpless and fragile and tantalizingly vulnerable.

For example: The word 'illumed' here is not even a real word {well, Firefox doesn't think it is}, and I know it was just used for that haughty effect. Tantalizingly vulnerable? That is actually a good use of an adverb, because it explains a different level of the vulnerability in relation to the darkness, but we can see she's vulnerable already from 'helpless and fragile', so maybe take out one or more of those word to avoid redundancy.

Overall, I think this needs a bit of work and cleaning up, but I think that you can definitely find a good story from what you have already.

PM me if you have any questions. ^___^

<3

-Hannah-

MagnusBane wrote a review...

"Hinting" seems a bit weird here. Maybe hint would work better?

Other than that, I thought it was really good! You really had some great description, and I thought that the story fit the picture well. :D

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:22 am
Kale says...

Thanks, you two. :D I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@delphi - The "and"s are there for the sake of rhythm and overall flow. If you remove them, the sentence does not sound the same and the overall flow of the piece changes. As for the other punctuation bit, I honestly had no real clue how to punctuate that one properly. XD I've been abusing semicolons lately (they have invaded my writing, they have), so I'll probably substitute an m-dash. :3 M-dashes also look prettier. :P

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 am
liadonwriter92 wrote a review...

I have to agree. That was a really great piece of writing. I'm in World Lit. in school right now, and I kind of analyzed your piece. I liked how it made me feel like that "the shadows tenderly caress the angel’s form" made me think of balance in life. This piece has definitely made me feel like that balance is the most important thing in life. I enjoyed reading your work.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:33 am
thedelphinater wrote a review...

This was good. So far as your description of the image goes, you did an amazing job. You also did a wonderful job of creating a sort of story behind the image. The imagery and poeticness of this piece was great. I did, however, have a few little problems with some of your punctuation. It was good for the most part, it just caught my attention in some places.

(Now that I think of it, I'm not sure if this is really punctuation.) I don't like all the "and"s towards the end of the sentence. I would get rid of one and add commas, though I see why you didn't. I'm not quite sure how you could reword the sentence so that you had the separate thoughts, you you used commas. You might be able to use a semi-colon or something, though I'm not sure. I know someone at some point went on a big tirade about semi-colons, so ask around I guess.

The darkness broke her, the loneliness, the lack of life.

OK, here I'm almost positive you can use a semi-colon. Having the first comma makes it all seem like one thought. Like, it seems that the darkness broke the loneliness and the lack of life as well as the angel. Yeah, I think that a semi-colon should be used there.

Other than those two little things, this was a great piece. Good job!

Your hesitation suggests you are trying to protect my feelings. However, since I have none, I would prefer you to be honest. An artist's growth depends upon accurate feedback.
— LCDR Data