z

Young Writers Society



Unorthodox Thieves (Chap. 1)

by EnderFlash


*LMS time! Haha, let’s see how long I’ll stick with this thing. It was originally planned to be my 2016 NaNoWriMo project, but then I realized I can’t write serious things at all and decided to put it on YWS, where it can be reviewed and improved on. Let’s do this! Haha, LAME CHAPTER IS LAMEEEEEE (I mean really I don’t like this start >_>) Feel free to dissect my chapter and point out all my wrongdoings. Especially the flow. 

“Hello,Lucius.”

“… Weird omnipresent voice in an endless room? This is definitely a dream.”

“This is indeed a dream.”

“It’s a weird one.”

“You can call it whatever you like.”

“Then I'm calling this Strange Dream: The Voice."

“Would you like a second chance?”

“That's sudden, but… Of course I would.”

“Are you willing to… harm others for your sister?”

“That’s not even a question. Dozens of people have starved for her sake, already.”

“I expected you would say that. Take the door to a new world. There, you can save your sister and yourself.”

“What? Jeez, this dream comes second to that one with cheese in terms of weird.”

“Ha, you’re a funny man. I think. That was a joke, right?”

“No.”

“Oh. Well, either way, the door is the first step in building a new life. However, it comes at a cost.”

“Let me guess- My life?”

“Worse. Your existence. And not just everyone’s memories. Anything you’ve ever done is undone.”

“Wait a second. I saved my sis’ life before; doesn’t that mean her life is undone? What’s the point?”

“… You can give her back her life. The door is the path. Remember that, Lucius.”

Lucius woke up with a start, throwing off his side of the quilt he shared with Arianna. What a strange dream. Whipping his head around, he was glad to see his little sister still comfortably asleep. The gray light of morning pooled through several holes in the ceiling, helping an overworked light bulb illuminate the room. At least it was not raining.

“…Luke?” Arianna murmured without moving. From all angles, it looked like she was still asleep. “What’s wrong?”

He ruffled Arianna’s black hair. Some gravel rubbed against his fingers, making him wince. A shower was long overdue, and it would be done even if he had to dump her into the lake. “Nothing, Ari. Go back to sleep.”

“Isn’t it morning?” she instead asked. Lifting her head a centimeter off the pillow, she tilted her head. Whether it was for effect or because she longed to rest it back on the pillow, Lucius was not sure. 

“Well, yes, but you slept late last night, so you must be tired,” Lucius said, smiling although Arianna could not see it.

“It’s October twenty-first, right?” Arianna pushed herself into a sitting position with a muffled yawn. Eyelids remained closed. There was no point to opening them.

He checked the five-year-old calendar they had hanging near the exit to their small room. “Yes.”

Arianna flashed him a large smile. “Happy birthday, Luke!” She shoved something small and hard into Lucius’ resting palm, bouncing a little off of the mattress.

Confused, Lucius lifted his hand to see the present. It was a steel lighter, with a protruding design of an ox skull on the front and minimal denting. Sleep-drugged fingers clawed at the lid for a while. Then, Lucius realized to click it open with the button on the side. Glad for a moment that Arianna was blind, he peered inside. The insides were a darker shade of gray. He poked a finger inside and immediately pulled it back out. Dust covered the point, sticking underneath his fingernail, and Lucius frowned. Wiped it on his overcoat sleeve. Snapped the box shut. “Where did you get this?” Lucius brought the lighter up, twisting it this way and that, watching the reflections warp. 

“I found out a couple weeks ago!” Arianna exclaimed, her face practically glowing with pride. “I don’t know what it is, but it felt pretty and durable, so I cleaned it up for your birthday.”

“Thanks, now I can smoke!” Lucius joked, patting Arianna on the head.

“As if!” Arianna shot back, nudging him in the side. Giggles squeezed out of her pressed lips like bubbles. Sprinkled with fairy dust. Bathed in the light of spring. Possibly accompanied by a petal shower. The illusion shattered when she began to cough; terrible raspy wheezes, they were.

“Woah, don’t strain yourself,” Lucius said, the budding smile slipping off his face. He placed a hand on Arianna’s shoulder and gently pushed her onto her back. “Lying down will help you feel better,” he said, not adding the “I think” at the end.

“Sure,” Arianna said with a smile that was decidedly more forced. “Happy birthday!” she repeated.

Stammers, like cards falling from a perfect pyramid, polluted Lucius's attempt to end the conversation on a good note. “Thanks for the present,” he rather lamely finished, putting the broken lighter into an upper pocket on his overcoat. “Now go to sleep. You only got like four hours of sleep last night with your little play date at your boyfriend's.”

Hitting the pillow, Arianna groaned. "Shaun is not my boyfriend!"

"Of course he isn't." A hint of humor spread over Lucius's worried state. "He'd be dead long before that stage."

Arianna’s lips formed a wobbly smile. “Alright,” she whispered, already turning over. "Whatever. Good night. I mean, morning." Before long, the young girl was fast asleep. The speed at which she could file away troubles was amazing. 

Ever so slowly, Lucius shuffled out from under the woolen blanket they shared. For spring, it was a bit too thick, but still better than nothing. It was not until he was out of bed that he could freely stretch his limbs. Humming a Christmas carol for no reason, he turned to the front door, ready to start the day. It was then that he noticed another door. A white one, to be specific. It was also not connected to anything.

One blink. Two blinks. He hit himself on the head. Still there. Lucius was either having hallucinations or a white door actually appeared out of nowhere. Quickly glancing at the sleeping girl below him, he took a few steps towards the glowing rectangle.

He looked behind the door and ran a hand over the hinges. “So it’s connected to nothing,” Lucius observed. “Today’s getting weirder by the minute.” He ran a hand through his hair, looking around for anyone who could’ve placed the door there. The one-room building was dark, but it was also too small for anyone to be hiding in the shadows without detection. While the house was run-down and old, all the cracks weren’t wide enough for anyone to fit a hand through, much less an entire door. “Yup,” Lucius said, “looks like a door really did appear out of nowhere.”

He stared at the door, recalling his dream. The door is the path, he thought. On its own, the dream would just be a dream, but it had said that a door would appear to Lucius. If that was true, then the part about a second chance...

Lucius turned to look at Arianna, who slept on. She was curled up into a ball, shivering even while covered with the quilt Lucius had made for her. His eyes narrowed, and despite having seen the same sight for a year now, a dark, bitter feeling rose up in his chest. “A second chance,” he repeated in a bit of a wondrous tone, “for both of us? Where Ari’s parents never died for her? Where we could live like normal children?”

The rational part of his mind reprimanded him for thinking such things could be real, that it would take no less than a miracle.

However, something about the dream seemed… real. It was an unexplainable feeling, but the voice felt so trustworthy. Not trustworthy as in leading-him-around-while-he’s-drugged, but trustworthy like something Arianna would say. He would know the difference.

Then, he snapped back to reality. Calm down, no one’s gonna take care of Ari if you leave, he told himself, digging his hands into his pockets. He warily looked at the door. “… But Ari won’t need to be taken care of if things change…”

Lucius ran his hand through his hair again. Doing such a thing felt oddly calming, as it was one of the few routine things that reminded Lucius of his normal life. Two separate parts of him waged war inside his neutral facade. He thought about sickly Ari, again, and his heart hardened. It couldn’t hurt, he decided. The results were either that he was delusional or, somehow, he would really be granted a chance to change things. If he didn’t even try, then the two of them would live the rest of their lives in hardship, and no doubt Ari would pass away somewhere along the line. It would be fine for him not to exist in Ari’s life, he told himself, as long as she’s fine.

“Hey, what do I have to lose? It's a door. There isn't much to hurt me,” Lucius muttered, rolling his eyes.  Taking one last look at Arianna, he placed his hand on the knob and wrenched open the door. Behind it was a landscape so white it hurt his eyes. Spots danced in the edge of his vision. "Pain," he hissed, but took a step forwards. His foot landed on solid ground, although he could not tell it from the walls or ceiling of the place. Stopping, he took a good look around him, turned back to see that the door was now gone, and stuck his hand out. Nothing.

“This sure doesn’t look like a second chance,” Lucius yelled, hoping that the voice in his dream would reply.

“Do you have to be so loud?”

“Ah?” Lucius said, turning around to see a stranger approaching him. “You weren’t there before.”

“An idiot,” the other man observed with a strange accent that added a curve at the end of his words. Curiously, a pigeon was perched on his shoulder, grooming itself. The newcomer had neatly combed light brown hair and stiff attire. It contrasted greatly from Lucius's faded clothing and wild hair. The man sighed, shaking his head. “You would’ve thought that a second chance meant more than meeting an annoying beggar.”

Lucius sharply glared at the other person upon hearing that. “Excuse me?!”

“Hm?” The newcomer raised an eyebrow, a picture of mock surprise on his face. The pigeon chirped, as if it was laughing at Lucius. “I said nothing but my first impressions of you. You can’t hurt a man for being honest. I’m sure that such opinions of you will change… As long as you make it so.”

“What’s the second chance you strive for?” Lucius asked.

The stranger looked taken back. “Pardon?”

“I said, why’re you here?” Lucius repeated, smirking. “You seem like the typical dandy prissy. What reason do you have to want a second chance? You must also be pretty desperate, considering that you’ve stooped to the same levels as an annoying beggar.”

“Why would I tell you?” the person shot back, quickly regaining his composure. Then, he gave a polite smile, a total three-sixty from his previous actions. “We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot; some small talk will clear that up. I told you my impressions of you, what are yours of me?”

“An asshole,” Lucius immediately said, shrugging. “Too easy a question.”

The other man scowled upon hearing the insult. “Why, thank you,” he sarcastically said. “I try."

“I can see that.” Lucius said, running his hand through his hair. He seemed to be doing that a lot today.

“Let’s try this again,” the person said, clucking his tongue. “ Introductions, of course. My name is Christopher, Christopher Ackerman. My dear friend here” –here he gestured to the pigeon- “is Esmeralda. What about you?”

Lucius contemplated just ignoring him, but groaned and decided that it’d be easier to go along with him. “Lucius. No last name.”

“Well then,” Chris said. The smile he hung on his face was like a shoddy mask. He stuck out his hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

"Mm." There was a pause, then Lucius reluctantly reached out and shook Chris’ hand. “Can’t say I feel the same way.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
69 Reviews


Points: 893
Reviews: 69

Donate
Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:25 pm
WillowCutz wrote a review...



Okay, so for that paragraph where he wakes up, I think he would look at his sister first before thinking about how weird his dream was. Cause you have that whole quick jerky movements and waking with a start thing going on and this slow chunky thought in the middle. And then you go back to sleepiness which doesn’t make a lot of sense if he is awake enough to throw blankets around and whip his head around. If he’s really awake (with a start (what does that even really mean?)) then he’s up fully and completely not slowly waking up like a normal person would. Also he’s yawning and seeing, which is weird because when people yawn they tend to blink and close their eyes (but like I said get rid of the yawning completely and that’ll solve both of these problems.

““…Luke?” Arianna was awake, calling him by that nickname again”

This is one of those things that doesn’t need to be stated. His name is Lucius and Luke sounds similar, it’s an easy leap to nickname. You don’t need to tell me it’s a nickname (unless it’s like Lukey-poo in which case that’s embarrassing enough to say THAT nickname. It says that there are many nicknames but this one is THAT one.)

What is dirty black hair? Is it like dirty blonde? Jk I know what you’re saying but that was my first thought. She has black hair and it’s dirty. Try tangled or unwashed or phrase it some other way so that I understand that it’s dirty and she hasn’t bathed and you don’t just tell me that that’s what’s going on. Most likely he’s not clean either and he wouldn’t be saying that HER hair is dirty because that would mean his hair is dirty, it’s also probably normal for her hair to be dirty right? So he wouldn’t just say that he might mention that she could be cleaner, but dirty would be different to him than it is to me right? (this ended up a lot longer than I thought so sorry)

“she instead asked, ignoring him.”

Again I can tell she’s ignoring you. It doesn’t need to be stated (also ignoring means that she wouldn’t be acknowledging his command so she wouldn’t question it) and instead is awkward there. (okay I honestly did not read that blind part so sorry but same idea) if you want to mention the blindness now I might state it as if she’s looking at the light in the window and then asking about the light (like it should be obvious but… blind)

““Well, yes, but you slept late last night, so you must be tired,” Lucius said, smiling although Arianna couldn’t see it.”

I don’t need to be told that she can’t see it, it just makes you sound like you’re driving the whole blind thing in harder and it just doesn’t fit.

“and shoved something small and hard into Lucius’ lax palm”

Lax?

“Confused, Lucius lifted his hand to see the present.”

Show me he is confused. He’s confused so maybe he hesitates or maybe he raises an eyebrow at her before looking or maybe he’s still shocked by her grabbing his hand.

““As if!” Arianna shot back, nudging him in the side. Her laughter was cut off by a series of coughs.”

The movement to the coughing sentence feels a bit jerky. Like it’s in a completely different paragraph and out of context (it’s in context but it feels out). Maybe instead she nudges him once but then immediately slips and grabs her chest coughing, but still forcing out laughs so that he doesn’t worry.

““Woah, don’t strain yourself,” Lucius said, losing his cheerful demeanor immediately.”

Again show. Maybe he immediately grabs her shoulders (you know how when somone you loves is like choking and you, feeling useless, try to rub their back like it might help? (well maybe just me but that might be a point)).

““Lying down will help you feel better,” he said, not adding the “I think” at the end.”

Maybe he should add the “I think” he seems to use comedy (going by the first bit) to diffuse tension so maybe he should add it and Ari would laugh.

“You only got like four hours of sleep last night.””

I just didn’t like this part of his dialogue. I get that he’s in serious mother mode but this doesn’t feel like something would actually say. He wants her to sleep so the faster he stops talking the better.

“Before long, the young girl was fast asleep.”

A lot of people I’ve reviewed lately have made young characters seem older and this is one that ACTUALLY FEELS YOUNG. I don’t need to be told that she is, trust me I know she is.

“Watching her peaceful form like this, Lucius could almost forget that she was dying of some sort of illness.”

I don’t like form. It sounds inhuman when he obviously sees her as the greatest human ever. And the whole dying from some sort of illness but is too much like his comedic diffusing personality. It sounds too “but like not really this is a hyperbole” and not serious enough to fit in with how he’s acting “chin in his palm” serious. And the whole “too poor” line is the same. Try stating it like “they didn’t have the money” instead it sounds more like someone in that situation and more serious rather than slightly hyperbolized.

“ The one-room building was dark, but it was also too small for anyone to be hiding in the shadows without detection.”

First off I loved his reaction to the door (despite that he may be disturbing Ari that way) but this line was again too serious for his funny tone. Try getting rid of the “in the shadows without detection” bit.

“While the house was run-down and old, all the cracks weren’t wide enough for anyone to fit a hand through, much less an entire door.”

All the cracks? Maybe NONE of the cracks. And the run-down and old felt too stereotypical description of an abandoned house. Maybe well-loved and crumbling and in need of a good coat of paint but never old. He would have more pride in his home (if he lived here long which I assume he has If he knows ALL of the cracks) describe it as he would.

“She was curled up into a ball, shivering even while covered with the thick quilt Lucius had made for her. His eyes narrowed, and despite having seen the same sight for a year now, a dark, bitter feeling rose up in his chest.”

So now the quilt is not only shared by them but made by him. The plot thickens. And the “same sight for a year now” not your best line.

” “A second chance,” he repeated in a bit of a wondrous tone, “for both of us? Where Ari’s parents never died for her? Where we could live like normal children?””

WOULD HE REALLY SAY THIS OUT LOUD? He KNOWS all this he can think it he doesn’t have to say it OUT LOUD. And the “Where Ari’s parents never died for her?” needs to be rephrased because it is distracting. Also is he a child or a man? I thought he was about seventeen and then you said man and now it’s child, so which is it?

“Not trustworthy as in leading-him-around-while-he’s-drugged, but trustworthy like something Arianna would say.”

What?

“It was like there really were two separate parts of him, arguing.”

Explain the parts to me. This sounded like it was leading into elaboration and it never did. I am a tad disappointed.

“It couldn’t hurt, he decided. The results were either that he was delusional or, somehow, he would really be granted a chance to change things. If he didn’t even try, then the two of them would live the rest of their lives in hardship, and no doubt Ari would pass away somewhere along the line.”

Not to mention there would always be an inexplicable door in their bedroom. (Also consider, in this section, what needs to be thought and what needs to be said)

“ Overall, his sharp appearance contrasted greatly from Lucius’ messy black hair, ratty old overcoat, patched pants, dirty t-shirt, and scuffed boots.”

I like the tone of this line, and I like any chance to describe a character, but this seems forced.

“ “I said nothing but my first impressions of you. You can’t hurt a man for being honest. I’m sure that such opinions of you will change… As long as you make it so.””

Also sounds forced. (the following dialogue is great though.)

” Then, he gave a polite smile, a total one-eighty from his previous actions.”

YOU DON’T NEED TO TELL ME THIS! I CAN SEE IT VERY CLEARLY!!!! :D

“ “We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot; some small talk will clear that up. I told you my impressions of you, what are yours of me?””

Cute but he’s already heard the first impression from Luke. He doesn’t have to ask (and would this asshole really ask for something like that, from a person he doesn’t respect)

“My name is Christopher, Christopher Ackerman.”

My name is Ackerman, Christopher Ackerman.

““Well then,” Chris said, disregarding the hostility in Lucius’ voice.”

I CAN SEE THE DISREGARD! AND I CAN SEE THE HOSTILITY! Also are we already on nickname basis? Stick with Christopher unless someone in the text says to call him Chris (or just calls him Chris) You HAVE to stick with the names the Characters give you (even if they’re long :(

Overall loved this. You have a good sense of tone and age and humor. VERY VERY GOOD.




WillowCutz says...


I actually just added this to my recommended reading on my profile description. (I really love Luke, he's funny as cheese)



EnderFlash says...


The length of this review took me by surprise, but I'm glad you did it. It's a level of detail that I appreciate from reviewers ^u^

Yeah, I see that a lot of my problem stem from the fact that I tell and not show. I've been trying to fix it recently, but it's probably a good idea to clean up my earlier chapters as well before my buddies come in.

I'm really glad you enjoy it :D Thanks so much!



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 2832
Reviews: 93

Donate
Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:38 am
~Volant~ wrote a review...



Hey, Flash! It's fun to start from the beginning! Beginings are hard, but I think you're doing good! I'm enjoying the concept a lot. I love that you told us the stakes quickly. It's good to get the readers invested as soon as possible. That was a really good move!

I would be careful starting out with back-and-forth dialogue without letting us know anything about setting or who's talking. It leaves your readers in the dark too long, I think. You want to slip us right in. (Or shove us, I dunno, the reader's at your mercy the second they choose to open your book) Also, that scene offers a solution to a problem we haven't been introduced to yet. Your story beginning could be stronger if you lead out with the problem ("I've sacrificed everything so my sister could sleep in this dump/have this mouthful/have a blanket with only two tears. And for all my sacrifices, it doesn't garauntee anything, because any day could be her last."). That way you have us wanting a solution. We're thinking the same as Lucius, "There's got to be a way." Then when you present us with a possibility, we seize on it.

Which is something interesting to think about, as well. That price. If you make us feel as desperate as Lucius, we're a lot more willing to swallow it. I'm only looking at a small part of the story, but I would be careful with presenting such a high price so soon. For one, it takes a lot of trust to keep going when the writer promised you the main character is not going to exist anymore at the end of the book. What's the point it getting too close to him? That's a fate worse than death. I could be biased because I personally hate stories where we go onthis huge adventure and then it ends up not happening

Spoiler! :
(i.e., spoiler alert, Prince of Persia. Argh!).
For another, are you going to be able to raise the stakes? How can the conflict possibly get any worse? I think this is a specific question you could ask your beta readers. It could totally be done, and it would be awesome, but it would take a lot of care.

I'd also like to know more about the setting. We've gone through the first chapter, the call to adventure has been issued and the conflict set in motion, but I don't know where or when they are. Is this a post-apocalyptic future? Modern day? The Great Depression?

You have a lot of great set up with your character's relationships. There's good sweetness between Lucius and Arianna, and an interesting dynamic between Lucius and Christ. I think they could be strengthened a little more to make your story more gripping. I feel that way because I don't feel like they're doing anything outside what the story demands. By that I mean, it doesn't feel like Arianna gives him a gift because she loves him, but because the plot demands it. Chris and Lucius say what the plot requires. It's good to have that direction and think clearly about what you're telling your audience, but sometimes it can be good to let go of the reader just a tiny bit and think more about your characters. After all, you're a living story right now; are you concerned about your narration and fourth wall? Of course not, you're just living life and pursuing your dreams. But you're still an interesting story, should anyone write it. And if anyone does write it, you wouldn't want to be an exposition puppet.

Can I issue you a challenge? I would get a notebook (or a word doc, wherever you feel most comfortable) and just write a whole lot of Lucius/Arianna interaction and Lucius/Chris interaction. All the fluff you can think of, any situation you can toss at them. You probably won't use any of it, but exploring their relationships and how they'd react together as a team to everyday life (or crazy happenings, it's whatever you want) strengthens your understanding. It gives them this undercurrent that we as readers can't see, but we can feel. I think it would strengthen your story a lot. And I'll bet it'll be a lot of fun for you ^^

I look forward to reading more!! Good luck!




EnderFlash says...


Woah, this is a big one! Don't worry, I read it all, with great appreciation, I may add. These are things to keep in mind as I write the story (because honestly, I don't have everything mapped out except for some key moment).

CHALLENGEEEE ACCEPTEDDD (although it might just be on a Word document since I'm lazy and typing is faster heheheh)



User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 2320
Reviews: 40

Donate
Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:49 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy wrote a review...



This Review shall begin with:
I. Impressions of the Shell Master!

^ That's my silly title, by the way.

...Huh. Well... This really isn't so bad. Not bad at all, actually. I mean, there's always a reason for a writer to not like his works, as his/her's impression of them greatly differs from the one readin' them, so I guess I understand, but from my point of view, this is actually really interesting.

-We've got this one guy called Lucius Dumbledor, and I loved the way he reacted to his dream, and then to it actually becoming reality. You defined his personality pretty well already, and that's definitely a good thing in my book.
-Arianna is easily the cutest thing in existance so far, and you presented her as the cutest thing ever THAT'S DYING, so we can clearly understand Lucius' motive for following what his dreamt voice asked him to do.
-Chris is a jerk. And a rich jerk, to top it all, but I'm likingthe presence of Esmeralda. I really wonder how the relationship between Lucius and Chris will evolve.
-It seems like you went for a realistic setting with Fantasy in it, instead of a fantasy world. Interesting.

End of the Impressions!

...To be fair, I'm really bad at saying bad stuff about someone's post, though I know when to be precise in that department, so I'll try to do that.


II. Suggestions of the Shell Master!
^ I jsut really like shelled-reptiles. Just... Don't ask why, lol.

1. So! The first thing I suggest is that when you're about to post something, wait one more day. Whenever you can do it, do it, and be sure to re-read your text when your head's fresh. That'll help you spot many more mistakes that'll avoid nitpicks (though Buggie pretty much got that covere, so I'mma move on now).

2. The list. You presented Lucius' clothes in a list form, and although I really like how rapid it is (and thus how much of a contrast it is with Chris' detailed clothes), it's never enjoyable to read. I suggest you finding another way to deal with things like that in the future, though again, in this situation, it's really not much of a big deal.

End of the Suggestions!


III. Conclusion!

I don't have much to say about this yet, to be fair. I'm just waiting for answers, and plot development, which I know you will deliver as this story goes on. Sooooooo... Keep on writin', m'dear! I'm sure you'll come up with a chapter that you yourself will enjoy, which, as you may know, is quite important.

So! As the title of the song I'm currently listening to says so approprietly... Do Your Best, Girl!

~Shell Master Tortwag




EnderFlash says...


Yay! Ha, I was discussing the characters with a friend of mine, and she seemed really upset that Lucius ended up being a sarcastic person. Good thing she convinced me to keep Chris' bird in, though!



EnderFlash says...


I guess I don't really like this start because I feel reallyyyy dumb writing the cliche dream thing, and especially trying to make a door appearing out of nowhere sound cool. xD



TinkerTwaggy says...


Really? I kinda like his sarcasm. Would be less interesting if he was the usual "heroic hero affected by his poor life" thingy. But that's just me I guess, lol.

Yes! That bird is REALLY important XD I even don't know why, but please, keep Esmeralda as long as possible :D



EnderFlash says...


HAHAHAHA I've already decided the fate of Chris and his bird. But yes, I look forward to writing BAMF Esmeralda scenes.



User avatar
557 Reviews


Points: 33593
Reviews: 557

Donate
Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:19 am
View Likes
Ventomology wrote a review...



Yo! Your LMS companion is here for a review. Welcome to the party, Miss Flash.

Anywho, since I'm sure someone else will address details that really bother them, allow me to give you one piece of advice regarding nitpicks: read your work aloud. You can just whisper or mouth it even, but the only way to avoid getting lots of nitpicks in reviews is to find them yourself. Saying it all out loud just engages more senses in the search.

And I think I'll go on to the big things now.

Note one: you do not always need a dialogue tag.

In case your school (like mine) doesn't understand the concept of teaching grammar, a dialogue tag is the text which comes after a piece of dialogue and gives the speech an owner. It's the "he said/she said" business.

Personally, I love tags. They often give a sense of closure to what someone says. However, tags can also get bit a bit cumbersome, and they should really only be used if the dialogue sounds wrong without.

All of the conversations in this chapter are between only two people as well, so it's pretty easy to keep track of who's talking. It's okay to skip straight to the actions that accompany dialogue. (You actually did this a few times. There were just so many tags that the examples were drowned out. :) )

Note two: it's about the feelings, not the nitty-gritty.

There is one paragraph which describes both Chris and Lucius in very fine detail. Now, before I say anything, the idea behind the section is well-played. Contrast is a useful trick for description, and it's a good way to heighten the effects of your word choice.

However, there is a problem with this paragraph. You spend too long on the specifics. I recently read an article about writing, and there was a comment that "your reader will generally assume that your characters are wearing pants." The same goes for most other articles of clothing; unless stated otherwise, people are dressed decently. One article of clothing each should be sufficient enough to get across that Chris is well-dressed, and Lucius is too poor to match up.

I believe that is all for style... Plot-wise, this is certainly an interesting concept. I think that there are more unsettling ways of introducing the whole "second-chance" thing (rather than through a dream), but that is ultimately up to you.

I look forward to seeing where you take this. Please don't let Ari be too tragic though--my threshold for tears is very low.

Ciao for now!
-Buggie




EnderFlash says...


Thanks! Personally, I had zero idea how to introduce the second chance thing, and my friend just told me, "Make it a dream". So it's a dream now. xD Don't worry, Ari's not going to be in most of this story. The tragedy part I can't promise. I mean, this story is my first attempt at making something serious :x



Ventomology says...


By the way, have you tagged Hunter and Tort so that they know your writing is up?



EnderFlash says...


.... How and where do I tag them? I'm kinda bad at this x3x



Ventomology says...


Don't worry. I'll tag them for you. @AstralHunter and @Tortwag, Flash's LMS is over here!



TinkerTwaggy says...


Tag doesn't work in Review replies for some reason, BUT I HAVE ARRIVED.



EnderFlash says...


Also, I'm totally spamming you with replies, but I have to wait until the next week to get started on the second chapter, right?



Ventomology says...


Correct. We can start writing chapter two on Monday.




Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.
— Mark Twain