I Am A Woman.

by Annaclare

I am a woman.
I am not a game,
Or your personal project.
I am not something to show off,
Or something to prove.
I am more important than that.
*
I am a woman.
I have dreams.
I also have high ambitions.
I do not think they're impossible.
I believe in them.
More importantly I believe in myself.
*
I am a woman.
I really like sports.
I know how to throw a spiral on a football.
And I know how to swish a basketball.
And I will proudly show off my blue Nike's
On the court next Friday night.
*
I am a woman.
And I'm proud of that.
I think it's time that more women admit it.
I know it's finally time for us to be heard.
Because all women have a voice.
I am a woman.
*

MoonBeam wrote a review...

I like the message. It is something I completely agree with and I like the force with which you expressed it. However, in terms of writing, this content of this poem is too cliche. A way around that is to be specific. Instead of telling us that you have "high ambitions," tell us exactly what those ambitions are. Do you want to be an engineer? Do you want to a female president? If you include more personal examples of how you defy gender stereotypes, I think this poem can become very powerful.

BlueSunset wrote a review...

Happy Review Day, and great poem! :D :)

I think it's very important to be proud of being a woman, so with that, I am proud to be a woman. That's what your poem says, and I like how your proud and you don't care what other people think.
What I think your message says is that people shouldn't judge someone by their gender, and woman can do everything men can. That's just what I got out of the poem, but just with that, this poem is still very inspirational.
The most important part of this poem to me was

I am a woman.
I am not a game,
Or your personal project.
I am not something to show off,
Or something to prove.
I am more important than that.

Just with one stanza, I got so much from it. Not only that, but I loved the whole thing. <3

Other things like nitpicks and all of that, I didn't see any. What a wonderful job, I look forward to more of your work! :D

~ Sunset101

Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:18 pm
Vex15 says...

I really, really like this! This has strong meaning, feelings, and intense emotion added. You certainly know how to best express yourself with that one statement- I am a woman. I agree, and I'm also new at this. Feel free to check out my work at catlover211 if you'd like.
This is an important topic, although people can tend to forget about it. You have a good voice.
I didn't see any typos. Really, I have nothing negative at all. Congrats!

Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:35 pm
CuriosityCat wrote a review...

Hey, Annaclare! This is Cat, and I'm here to review your fabulous poem! :)

First off, I would like to say yay, feminism poetry! I really wish people would write about important stuff like this more often. Racism, sexism, and all the other '-ism's no one wants to mention. It's something that's taboo, almost, and that makes it hard to talk about. So, yeah. Respect!

Secondly, typos. (My least favorite part of a review. Bleck.) Luckily, I only found one mistake, so kudos on that! "Their" in the fourth line of the second stanza should be "They're". Grammar is weird. :P Let's move on.

Last, I just want to say that this whole poem is excellent. I love the rhythm and the formatting. It's a serious topic, and you described it perfectly. I will totally read any other poems of yours. Write on! :D

~CuriousityKilledTheCat

"Death is cheap, and so is life, but a reputation is not easily recovered."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi