Lighthouse

by Liaya

I'll be your lighthouse in a hurricane

Leading you home from a stormy sea

I'll be the wind at your back,

Guiding you back to me.

I'll be the one who takes your hand

And leads you on to a bright new day.

I'm the one always in the back,

Smiling as you smile,

Loving you from a painful distance,

Praying you will someday love me too.

Turn to me now; I promise

If you come to me

I shall not shrink from your hand

But will reach mine out instead,

So you can remember you aren't alone,

I'm here

To lead you on, away from fear

Into this blazing dawn, even if

I'm not the one you want in the end,

That's okay, because

I love you unconditionally, and

Since your happiness

Is my only real, important goal,

I'll be your lighthouse in a hurricane.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:17 am
krissigalea wrote a review...

Hi Liaya! It's Kristina here. :)

First of all, I have to say that you are a very good poet. Your poems that I have read so far, all make sense and have that special meaning in a way.

I have to admit, that while reading this poem, it relaxes me, maybe because it sounds calm. <3

Apart from that, your poem is like a "whole stanza." I would suggest for you that when you write a poem, try to divide it into stanzas (paragraphs). Because sometimes the reader may get the impression like reading it as a whole, instead of stanzas.

When you write in stanzas, you are giving the reader time to think about the poem, reflect on what he is reading. And of course, he will take a "short break" between stanzas.

But, keep on writing and well done on this poem!! :D

Liaya says...

I know this is one stanza. I appreciate your suggestions and I'm really glad you've enjoyed my poetry, but this one was meant to be one stanza. Thank you for pointing it out and for your kind comments!

krissigalea says...

Ok Liaya :) Thanks for posting such a nice poem <3

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:09 am
NicoleBri wrote a review...

Hello, pandabear7 here! First off, I love the imagery! :) it's just wonderful to me. When I read this, for some reason I see a lighthouse and a ocean with a hurricane going across it. Lol. Then out of nowhere I see a hand reaching out. Anywho, back on topic, I like the format! Also, I do have to say I like the rhyme in the beginning :) I love to see rhymes especially if they are amazing. My main goal in poetry is to see if 1.) I can connect with what the reader is conveying, 2.) Grammar and lastly 3.) Imagery is amazing. :)

Keep up the writing!

xoxoxoxoxoxo

-panda

Liaya says...

Thank you so much for your comments! I'm so glad you enjoyed my poem! :)

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:08 pm
GreenLight24 wrote a review...

Hey there Liaya! Review for you here.

First off, nice poem. :) I like the way this was formatted and I greatly enjoyed the ideas that came out in this work. I particularly enjoyed the idea of loving the person unconditionally, even if that means suffering a little hurt. My only qualm with this would have to be that I could not establish right off the bat, whether or not this was supposed to rhyme or to be free verse.

"I'll be your lighthouse in a hurricane

Leading you home from a stormy sea

I'll be the wind at your back,

Guiding you back to me."

The first four lines do rhyme, but the meter is slightly off with the "Guiding you back to me." If you were trying to rhyme this portion, I think you should have tried to make the discourse a little smoother. Other than that, this was a fantastic poem with a very interesting idea interwoven. Great job! Keep it up! :D

Liaya says...

No, I wasn't trying to rhyme this poem! Most of my poetry is freestyle, without a set pattern of rhyme or meter. I'll see about fixing the solitary rhyme in there so it doesn't throw people off. Thank you for your comments!

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:36 pm
krissigalea wrote a review...

Hello there :)
First of all well done on your poem , I really liked it. And as the person beneath me said, it really sounds like a song to me. Well, actually, poems are like songs, because songs are based on poems.

A thing which I would like to get your attention at, is the rhythym. Personally, I think that a poem should be based on rhyming verses/words, which makes it more attractive for people to read it, and others enjoy reading it too.

I have to admit that not all poems are based on rhymes, but I personally think that rhymes make a poem "well-dressed." Do not take it as an offence though, because I enjoyed reading your poem, but I just gave you a suggestion ;)

Liaya says...

Thank you for your feedback! I'm not offended at all! :) I'll take your suggestions into consideration!

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:11 pm
LJM368 wrote a review...

Very beautiful. Had the feel of a song more than a poem for me, but that might just be because I'm listening to the Tangled soundtrack. :P I can picture the story behind this very well, and I love the metaphor of the lighthouse and the wind.

One issue . . . "I'll be your lighthouse in a hurricane", to me, sounds a bit too much like "I'll be your Angel" (a beautiful R. Kelly and Celine Dion duet). I might just be imagining that, though. But you earned yourself a follow here. :)

Liaya says...

Haha, good to know! I'll try to think of a good substitution. If you have any ideas, do tell!

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:06 pm
EloquentDragon wrote a review...

Hey there! I don't usually review poetry, but here goes:

What I liked:

1. Good imagery, you used some nice description in there, added detail

2. The concise nature of the poem-- you don't ramble, you stick to one, clear point.

What I think you could work on:

1. The imagery could be more specific, more evocative, and less cliche. Right now, it's sort of generic light-housy stuff. But you don't want generic light-housy stuff! Try to be more original with the edtails that you add, make this personal and different.

2. This poem isn't very evocative. It seems to dwell in that dreaded white space called a page. Try to free the words from being just words. You should try to create a mood, encapsulate the tone and feel of the emotions. Be expressive here.

3. I would have liked to see the other individual in this. The distant lover describes themself as a lighthouse, but never really describes the one they love. You could do so much here. I'm thinking you know, "lost little red boat" style. I want to see both sides. As is, it seems rather generic.

There is one thing grammatically:

I love you unconditionally, and

Since your happiness

I don't know if you were trying to get that "broken" feel in there, but right now, the disconnect of the phrasing seems odd. How about:

"I love you unconditionally,

and since your hapiness

is my only real, important goal..."

(And that would bring me to point number two: I don't think you need to capitalize the word at the start of each line, but I could be wrong about this.)

I just feel that it's sort of stinted as is. I think it would sound more natural and flowing if you restructured the phrasing a bit,

Well, as brief as that was, I hope it helped. Good job here, I liked this. (Especially since I am one who's only experience with love is the unrequited type.)

~ED

Liaya says...

Thank you so much for your feedback! I will go over the poem and see what I can do to improve it while keeping it true to its essence. I'm happy to know what you liked and what you didn't!

No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.
— John Donne