16+

Life.

by LosPresidentes

Looking to the stars,
I begin to cry;
My only question
"Why didn't I die?"

Life is a hinderance,
a true hell on earth;
Did my mother know this
on the day of my birth?

A sick joke it can be,
soldiering  and striving;
Singing and pretending
"I like being alive!" 

I see the reaper,
creeping ever closer;
In the form of a pistol,
drawn from of its holster.

Hate to say it
I'm too weak to try;
It would be easier
to lay down and die.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:28 am
christinaLoves says...

This is terribly beautiful. I almost cried because I can totally relate to these feelings. I love everything about it. I am totally grateful that you would write something like this. It is fantastic. Marrvelous work! Really.

ToriLynnea wrote a review...

i like the use of varying sentance lengths. you used alot of "advanced" words something i dont see in works very often. you seem to know what you"re doing and have a very vivid imagination and make it easy for the reader to connect and see what you saw while writing this peice. i didnt see many mistakes, if i saw any at all, but dont take my word for it, im not one who notices that kind of thing alot. but all in all, this is a good peice of writing.

littleauthor wrote a review...

Hey little author here,

Well this is a nasty poem. I thought it was beautiful and just plain horrible at same time. Seeing that you have enough people pointing out your mistakes, I'll point out the good things. This poem was very powerful and it was very pretty. It just showed how fake some people are on the outside when they are dying on the inside, and they do that its what on the insides that count. I have been in a stump at the moment and this has sort of inspired me. I reaallly hope that you put out more BEAUTIFUL poems like this one.

Keep writing 8)

LosCadaver says...

Thank you =3

AlfredSymon wrote a review...

Los! Oooh, such a pretty poem! Lemme give you a chopped-up review for this little beauty!

Looking to the stars,
I begin to cry;

I think it's too dry. The beginning of every poem needs to have something explosive. Something interesting, right? So why not describe the stars, or even replace 'stars' with the blanket of shimmering powders or something. Try to make an impact.

My life is a hinderance,

It should be hindrance, without an extra e. Also, this line is kinda cut short. Hindrance to what? Hindrances are something that impedes something else, and that something is left out from the poem. Add another line maybe?

A true hell on earth;

'True' is a bit weak for the strong word 'hell'. How about blazing, cruel or something that can make readers feel that you are IN hell, not in something peaceful and true. Also, ahev you thought of using 'inferno' instead of 'hell'?

Did my mother know this
on the day of my birth?

I love these lines. They're so cute :) But don't use mother, it's too simple. How about something philosophical like 'world', 'heaven', or, for the sake of repitition which will totally benefit your piece, 'stars'! :D

that I powered on and strived;
Singing and pretending
"I like being alive!"

I love the last two lines, but the 'powered on' thing, isn't that good. Not only that line is dry, but it's also kinda imageless. We aim images in poetry, we SHOW, not tell. So something that readers can imagine will work much better.

I see the reaper,
creeping ever closer;
in the form of a pistol,
pulled out of its holster.
hate to say it
I'm too weak to try;
It would be easier
if I lay down and die.

This is like one of the most beautiful, metaphorical endings in a poem I've ever read. The reaper, the gun, the rhyme in the last part. I LOVE IT! The sense and twist of it all at least. It's really a good ending, and it does justify the sense that this is a poem, not some words that go over the same thing again and again. The only problem is how you execute it. It seems to dry. How about some adjectives here and there, and some more figurative language? It will powder it up for publishing, I'm sure!

Well, that's the only stuff I can review for now! Thanks for the good read!

LosCadaver says...

nice review thanks =3

Jonathan wrote a review...

Hello there just a little thing this review is for review day so hope you don't mined if I make this a short review. :D

Hopes it helps.

OK one thing about this here is that you don't capitalize the letter after a coma and another thing of that sort you are supposed to capitalize the letter after a period.

Good work although this is kind of a nasty poem.

But your spelling was great at least I think so.

Until later "good bye and good luck."

Keep writing and good work also good luck.

~Jon~ :pirate3:

Hopes it helped.

Forgive me if I rambled I do that a lot.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:23 pm
planve says...

"that i powered on and strived"...now thats my OMG part. Loved it.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:49 pm
therealme says...

what a brilliant poem! i know how you feel.

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence