Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Community » Squills - The YWS News

Squills 8/18-8/25/13

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:57 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
Hannah

General Editors
Ignorance
ShadowVyper

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Friendly Neighborhood Cow
CowLogic

Literary Reporter
SparkofDoubt

Community Reporter
Sapi

Storybook Reporter
BlackNether12

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Quibbles Columnist
skorlir

Social Correspondent
StellaThomas

General Reporters
Cspr
ArcticMonkey
HomeschooledTeen
AfterTheStorm

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities.

Also, please join Squills in bidding @Aquestioning a fond farewell from the team as real-life (the evil beast) demands too much of his time. Thank you for all your invaluable work on Squills!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:58 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

YWS goes BTS
written by HomeschooledTeen < PM: >

Guess what, my fellow YWSers. School's here! It's that time of year!
Ahhhh, school: textbooks, teachers, homework, band practice, football, the mathletes. It's all coming back up, just like crappy cafeteria food.

Not that I would know, of course, being homeschooled and all. I get three home-cooked meals a day.

But we should all be glad to be going back, for those YWSers who are still in school. More learning! More books! Who cares about the teachers dirty looks when there's writing involved?

Here's what @ArcticMonkey has to say about returning to school in September:

I like the people that go to my school. Although they can sometimes be annoying, I know I will miss them when I leave. I'm somewhat excited to be going back because I'll get to see everyone again, and because it's my last year teachers treat you slightly differently. However, because it is my last year, it means loads of exams and coursework, which I don't look forward to.

We all hope you have a fun last year, Artic.

Arctic is not the only member facing their senior years. @thewritersdream, @Ignorance, ArticMonkey, and myself (to name a few) are all racing toward the finish line. You all better watch out: it's only one more year before we are unleashed on the world.

But are we all still in high school? No, siree. @manisha is in her first year of law school, and I'm sure many others are in college by now, whether it's their first year or their last. Good luck to everyone.

Carina says:

It's definitely great to see old friends and roll through in class again, but I'm already wishing for next year's summer to come already lol.

I'm sure in a few weeks the novelty will wear off for all of us. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Share your own thoughts about what this year's BTS experience has been like for you in the Squills Fan Club .

After that, go forth! Do good! Learn much! And raise a little hell. YWS is going BTS. The world had better be ready for us.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE INS AND OUTS OF SELF PUBLISHING

written by Stella Thomas < PM: >

@LMJRayner is a rare breed on YWS: a published author who has published two books through the process of self-publishing. Stella Thomas meets up with LMJ to discover a little more about his experiences.

Stella Thomas: Hey LMJ, lovely to meet you! I guess our first question is-- Why did you first get interested in self-publishing?

LMJRayner: Well at the time, Kindle was becoming a bigger thing on the market. I did a bit of research into it and found their Createspace website, which is an Amazon-owned company that deals with paperback print and distribution. It looked very appetizing and, for the most part, it was free. I was also able to type out a story and, when it was finished, actually have a physical thing in my hand with a spine, a front cover. Something to prove that I had achieved my goal.

ST: Did you consider traditional publishing routes? Why did self-publishing attract you the most?

LMJR:
At first I did consider the traditional route. That was probably more focused on my ego than the writing itself. I wanted to get that phone call saying they'll take me on and here's loads of money. But I really looked hard into it and most people and writers really put me off the idea. They said it was extremely difficult to do, and pretty much impossible to do without an agent. I didn't have an agent, and didn't know where to start in getting one, so I looked at other options. This is where the self-publishing idea came from. There are a few out there, but the reason I chose Createspace was it's ties with Amazon Kindle so my book could be in print and as an ebook. I didn't need an agent, just those 70,000 words and a computer.

ST: So much more convenient! So what do you think is the best bit about being self-published?

LMJR:
There are no deadlines, there is no one telling me what to do, and I decide everything -- which is probably my favourite part. I always have this image of a man in a suit telling me that I need a love interest or I can't kill that character. I decide who loves and dies, and I think that's important in anything you write. I also get to design the covers of my books, which I really look forward to by the end.

ST: Sounds good to me. And the worst bits?

LMJR: Marketing has to be the worst part of it for me. I have a full-time job alongside writing my books, and on top of that trying to market promotions and new releases takes all the fun out of it. I like to write, and it always feels like work when I have to market. Another thing I don't like is editing. The first edit, after you've left it for a few weeks, is great-- you can see the bigger picture and really perfect what you've written. But the eighth or ninth time reading something you've written really takes it out of you.

ST: Would you ever consider a different publishing route?

LMJR: At the moment, no. I like the way it is: the self publishing route is free the way I do it, but in the future a more traditional route may be more appealing because they can market and do all the formatting and the admin side of it all. All the boring bits.

ST: What advice would you give to someone considering self-publication?

LMJR: Unless you have someone computer-friendly within reach, then be careful. If you want your book to look professional as an ebook, you really have to get to grips with the formatting. I was new to it when I started, and it took a few late nights combined with replacing my torn out hair to make it all look as it should. Formatting for a paperback is a thousand times easier, and if that's all you want, then just do that. But all in all, I think if you want to be an author and you want to see your book in print, the best option is self-publication. Even though ebook formatting can be a pain, it is your best option to reach a wider audience -- millions of people read on Kindles and ebook readers, and it doesn't cost you anything to put your fantasy tale or love romance into that electronic library.

ST: And any advice for writers in general?

LMJR: The best advice I can give is stick with it. Writing books is hard work, and anyone that says it isn't is wrong. Writing is a skill that gets better the more you do it. I, for one, think that my second book is far superior to my first just because I think I got better at writing. And my third will be better than my second. Hopefully that trend sticks.

ST: So what about your own books? Tell me about those.

LMJR: I’ve published two, Atlas Cloud and the Amulet of Thieves and Atlas Cloud and the Witch of the West. They’re about a teenage boy, Atlas Cloud, who finds himself way over his head when he discovers magic is real. There’s an evil force that he has to defeat if he wants to save everything he loves, but there’s a strong chance he’ll lose himself on the way.

ST: Sounds great! Can you give us an excerpt? You know you want to…

LMJR: “I waited there in silence, watching as the veins in my arm bulged. The scratching and clawing at the door had stopped. They were inside. I sat towards the door, watching it without blinking, without losing concentration. Knowing that at any minute they would find me. If I am going to die, I am going down kicking and screaming…”

ST: Chilling! Thanks for that LMJ, you’re a star. They sound amazing! If you guys are interested in the adventures of Atlas Cloud, be sure to visit LMJRayner for more information.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

INTRO TO STORYBOOKING
written by ArcticMonkey < PM: >

*Troy McClure voice* Hello, I’m Arctic Monkey. You may recognise me from Squills articles, such as ‘Knowledge Base: Publishing and Copyright’ or my interview with the author of a featured work; however, today I’m going to talk about that last tab on the navigation bar at the top -- storybooks.

I used to stay clear of the storybook area because I didn’t really feel comfortable sharing my writing abilities and having to commit to something like that. To participate in a Storybook, you have to post regularly since your posts make up the forward movement of the activities. And you're guaranteed that all other members participating will read your posts. It can be a lot of pressure to think about.

However, a few weeks ago, after much thought, I decided to finally get over this fear and join a storybook! I have to say that so far, it’s been loads of fun. And my worries about people judging my writing were totally not needed because everyone was really welcoming. Still, I wouldn’t call myself an expert quite yet, so I talked to @Carina, @CowLogic, @ShadowVyper, and @Rydia, who all SB often, to get some input on this special YWS activity from them.

So firstly, what is it exactly that people love so much about storybooks (SBs) and storybooking (SBing)?

@Carina says:

My favorite thing about SBing is the interaction. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I get the giggly giggles when someone writes a big interaction with my character. Interacting with the other SBers is great too. It's a nice way to make friends, and they make up half the fun.

@ShadowVyper says:

I love so many things about SBs! I like how there are so many ideas and writing styles and unique POVs that we combine, to create one awesome story; as well as the friendships that they develop. I've met a load of awesome people who encourage my writing, and hold me accountable if I get lazy about posting.

I think a common feeling here is that storybooking starts and develops many friendships -- even I can say that I’ve already met some really cool people, and I’m only involved in one storybook at the moment.

When setting out to make original and interesting characters, @Rydia says:

Joining a storybook gives you the chance to try something you might not have before, whether this is playing a bisexual character, or experiencing a genre you would normally steer clear of in your own writing. Sometimes I even flip a coin to decide if I will play a male or a female, or I roll a dice and assign random attributes to each number: 6 for a red-head; 3 for a blind man; 2 for a lovesick villain.

When I was creating my character’s profile, I struggled a bit at first because I was a bit worried it wouldn’t be to par with the other ones. But then I looked at the other ones people had made, and their writing really helped me come up with ideas for my own character.

Something which is important to remember with Storybooks is that you aren’t the only author. @CowLogic says:

Because the plot is mostly extemporaneous and driven by collective thought rather than individual judgement, you have to account for the extreme complexity of possibilities that could occur by making a malleable character. They need to be adaptable, and therefore must be very, very human.

@Rydia says:

Everyone in the storybook has their own ideas for plots or interactions with their characters, but if everyone only writes for their own ideas, then there is nothing to hold all the strands together.

I've found that just making sure I've read everyone's post before I write mine helps me write my own, and helps me to make sure that I'm writing something that's relevant to the story and is a plot move that everyone else agrees with.

I think everyone should give storybooking a chance because it's bags of fun, helps to improve your writing, and creates awesome friendships. I'm sure you can agree based on what the users above have said: storybooking is fun! It does, however, require a bit of practice. So what better time to start that practice than now? If you're hesitant about joining an SB I say go for it! I mean if I can do it, anybody can.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

IF YOU WERE A POKEMON, I'D ALWAYS CHOOSE YOU
written by ShadowVyper < PM: >

Enjoy, as Squills takes you through the adventure of A Pokemon Love Story , written by @eviehoward .

Squills: What inspired you to write your featured work, A Pokemon Love Story?

eviehoward: Well it's my 1 year anniversary with my boyfriend this week and he loves Pokemon. I'm completely broke, so I decided a poem would do :)

S: Aw, that's really sweet. Is there any specific message in the piece that you want readers (or your boyfriend :)) to grasp?

e: That I won't leave him, and that he's awesome. XD

S: Haha, that sounds like a very good message, indeed. What was the hardest part about writing this particular piece?

e: Integrating the Pokemon into it. It's harder than it looks!

S: I bet it is! If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything about your latest feature?

e: I don't think so. He loved it as it is, and that's all I wanted to accomplish.

S: Are you currently working on any more projects that we might see soon?

e: I'm still editing my boo, of which Chapter One is already available on this site. But it needs serious editing.

S: Do you think that that will show up in the Literary Spotlight as well?

e: Hopefully! But it's not as good as a lot of writing on here. So maybe not.

S: I think you're a great writer! You've been featured a few times before this, right?

e: That was just luck :)

S: Aw, you're so humble. Do you have any advice for someone looking to be featured?

e: Make sure your spelling, punctuation, and grammar are correct! People will slaughter you if you don't give attention to detail. I learned that the hard way.

S: Haha! Well, I think that about wraps it up. Do you have anything else that you'd like to say to the readers?

e: Just keep writing :)

S: Thanks so much! :)

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

QUIBBLES
written by Skorlir < PM : >

There are things all of us hate to hear. Mine just might be a little more… nuanced than some.

Economical. Mathematical. Academical. Aerodynamical. Judgmatical (Seriously? Is that a word?). Even analytical. Just… just –ical, in general. There are notable exceptions. Cyclical, Biblical, cylindrical – all -icals which do deserve some place in our vernacular. But every time I hear someone say “economical,” I get an urge to bust some gluteals into permanent sabbatical.

“I purchased an economic car.”

“I did some mathematics problems./I have some mathematic questions.”

So forth. Most -icals are nonsensical.

It is my modest opinion that some words simply do not belong in the English language. At all. Other words share this distinction, not just ones suffixed with -ical:

“Mentee” – sounds like a breath freshener, is actually a poor replacement for protégé. Not to be confused with Manatee, the aquatic mammal.

“Ain’t” – the undeniable favorite of hoi polloi and ignoramuses everywhere.

“Cognizant” – the word you are looking for is “aware.”

“Copacetic” – I actually kind of like this one, but we must face facts. “Okay” is all the alright English needs.

I, the usageaster Squills columnist who lauds vocabulary and loves diction, am saying, in no uncertain terms, that English is too bludgering big. I may never say it again, but please – for the love of Jennifer Lawrence and bacon – use normal words.

I’ve seen the result of overstretching one’s vocabulary. It is simply not pretty. (I’ve even been on the ugly end, believe it or not.) Allow me:

What an offender may write:

“He has a propensity for bombast.”

What one is saying:

“LOOK AT THOSE WORDS”

What one means:

“But seriously. He uses, like, words bigger than T-Rex turds.”

Case-in-point.

And that’s this week’s Quibble. Sorry about last week, if any of you missed me. I was busy undergoing an annual Vitamin D poisoning ritual. Big stuff. It’s been in the family, so it had to come around some time. But hey! If any of you fine folks reading this have some quibbles of your own, grammatical or otherwise, feel free to PM me for responses! I swear it’s not at all like prodding a marbles-crazed hippo.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOCIETY PAGES

written by Stella Thomas < PM: >

Nostalgia abounded this week, between a topic about the Internet in 1995 to @Nate’s blog entry containing fun facts you never knew about YWS (foolish man, did you forget Lady S knows everything about everyone?) Need I remind you all that we are no longer living in the past? Only the most up to date news is really worth anything now we’ve all got such high speed broadband…

@Lauren2010 has her nose to the grindstone now as she is supposedly into some pretty intensive study for a standardised exam in the coming weeks. So unfair! It’s far too early in the academic year for that!

In the British Isles, this was a week of nail biting and relief as students received their results from the A Levels and Leaving Cert exams. Congratulations to @Letiki and everybody else who got theirs. I’m sure you all did wonderfully. Now you’re heading off into the big bad world -- do you think you’re ready?

@Lava certainly thinks she’s ready, having landed in Philadelphia and having had a rude awakening to the weather there compared to India. I hope all her packing the past few weeks has put her in good stead when it comes to warm clothes. I’d say she’s in for a shock this winter!

@Demeter will be doing something similar in the coming weeks when she makes a big move to England for a year, and she’s made a whole brand new non-YWS blog for friends and family to follow her journey: Polka Dots and Sheffield . With a name as adorable as that, why wouldn’t you want to read it?
@manisha cryptically spoke of her own college experience, saying that an all-female college wasn’t so scary. When asked for further comment Lady S was thoroughly bemused. But ladies aren’t that scary, are we?

@Skins is on holiday, leaving her readers desperate for the next instalment of her novel, The Boy Who Broke Mirrors. Poor show, Skins, but it’s okay, @Sachiko has reached 50,000 words in her novel, the newly renamed Pertrichor. Whether this new draft contains mudwrestling is still to be decided…

There was a high volume alert put out this week and some members really stepped up to the challenge! Congratulations to you guys for stopping the Green Room from getting too crowded. I swear, sometimes a girl just can’t think in there.

@SparkOfDoubt intends to review this weekend… and after she’s done that to become the star of a John Green novel. That sounds like a brilliant, though probably foolish, life ambition -- and that’s just the type we love! Lady S will be staying tuned for when Sparky cuts off all her hair and dyes it hot pink a la Nymphadora Tonks…

For now though, there’s a bottle of champagne somewhere with my name on it. I’ll be sipping it while I watch your lives unfold.

Remember, any scandal, any news or announcements, always let Lady S know first. ‘Til next time, my lovelies.
xxx

Lady S

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE UNSUNG GEMS OF THE POETRY FORUMS
written by SparkOfDoubt < PM: >

Join us every week as @SparkOfDoubt goes in search of poetry gems that haven't gotten the spotlight they deserve.

It's her
By: @GriffinClaw

Even though this work isn't quite as unsung as some of the other poems I've featured in my articles, I couldn't resist posting about it. Having felt, as we all have, that feeling of wanting to say something but being too frightened to do it, this poem spoke to me on many levels. It describes that feeling perfectly, and as you're reading, you can see that one person in your mind's eyes whom you've been through this with. Whether it makes you regret you never said anything (or in my case that you did say something), or makes you happy about speaking up, this poem is deeply relatable and formatted uniquely using YWS's fantastic formatting options.

evergreen
By: @ancientforever

A poem worthy of the featured works page, ancient spins us a slightly sad story with a hopeful ring, which is quite hard to do. In the same breath she's telling us of the cold, of the flowers dying, but also of the 'spark of green' she sees, and how she cares for it. Eventually you begin to realize this isn't a poem about taking care of nature, it's a poem about taking care of yourself. Ancient is telling us that we have our whole life ahead of us and not to spend it as a ghost or as a dead flower in the winter. She's turned that piece of evergreen into a fantastic metaphor, and I love it. Soooo worth a read!

My Body is Not Poetry
By: @vitamere

This poem is probably my favorite out of all the featured gems this week. Sometimes, there are poems that strike us deeply, and this one did. The whole time, the narrator is saying why their body isn't meant to be poetry, why there's not anything right about them, and how they are meant to stay unwritten and unloved. But by the end of the story, we find that the whole time, the narrator reveals that it's not their body that isn't meant to be poetry, but their heart. The last stanza in the poem, in fact, says

My body is not poetry.
Mostly because I’m
just a little afraid
of anybody who would be able
to read me so well
to put me into words.

A gorgeous conclusion to a gorgeous poem! Lovely and touching. Go forth and read!

And that concludes another Unsung Poetry Gems! Join us again next week!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:03 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

GREEN ROOM GALLERY
written by HomeschooledTeen < PM: >

The Green Room recently experienced a severe High Volume alert, which meant the cost for posting new works went up to 500 points, the max post cost. Currently, we seem to be averaging about 40 works in the Room. That's still a big number compared to what we want it to be. Considering what we want it to be is a goose egg. Nada. Zipp. Nothing. Zero.

Thankfully, we have the Knights of the Green Room , a group of dedicated YWS users whose main goal is to see the room emptied once and for all. To become a Squire, you announce your intention to join the group in the forum. After you have completed ten Green Room reviews, you receive the title of 'Knight." By completing even more Green Room reviews, you earn prestige amongst the Knights, and awards and arms to go with your title.

For those of you who are already Knights, are you tired of having to fight the Green Room beasts unarmed? Then slay enough of them to earn a sword. Sick of being unprotected against these fiends? Dispatch enough to earn yourself a shield. Tired of bumming rides off of your fellow Knights? Prove yourself worthy for your own horse by removing enough monsters to buy one.

The bottom line is that if you become a Green Room Knight, you earn more than extra points for your Green Room reviews. You earn honor. You earn respect. You earn your title and your arms, and you are recognized for it. Believe me, becoming a Knight was one of the best things that I have ever done as a YWS user. It gives me a goal and it gives me a purpose.

This week's featured Green Room work is once again authored by our esteemed @ShadowVyper. Her continuation of Charmed of Deception has been sitting in the Room since the end of July. Considering the number of people we have reviewing, it's really sad that no-one has yet to cover it. Are you intimidated by her awesome writing skills?

This author has given so much to the site. Let's give her something back, shall we? Shall we, Knights?

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:03 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

COW SAYS: AUGUST 18th, 2013
written by CowLogic < PM: >

Don't clamor to live in the moment if you don't have things sorted out for the future. Every minute spent living in the moment that is not warranted by relaxation after hard work or stress is a minute wasted. Carpe Diem is Latin. And remember what kind of language Latin is? Might not be that way if the Romans spent some more time thinking about the future than living in the moment and stretching their resources thinner than the fine line between mini-golf and croquet in a field of groundhog holes.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:05 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by ShadowVyper < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@ItsCharley has only been a member for a few days, but has already written lots of awesome reviews. She's also uploaded the first chapter of her work, The Diary of the Sluttiest Virgin .

@LarryD has just started reviewing, but has posted a short story for us to enjoy. Go read his story, Dogs on a High Hill .

@Danteke has been busy, pumping out a load of awesome reviews! Why not review the start of his story Burned Shirts and Shorter Skirts ? I did. ;)

@Jcsmooth has only been a member for a few days, but has already written so many reviews he's earned himself a second star! He's submitted several works, too. Among which sits a lovely little poem called Sweet Words You Used to Say .

@SolitaryCanary, too, has been busy writing reviews and posting new works. Why not return the favor of Canary's hard work by writing a review for him? A bit delusional is a good place to start.

@Dreamersarebelievers has also written several lovely reviews around the site. You can write one on the Prologue of her novel.

@Albanafsagia has only been a member of our family for a few days, but has started writting some awesome reviews. You can read and review her poem, Why would you care?

@AnnaKarenina has also been busying herself with writing lots of reviews. Why not read her short story, I Close My Eyes ?

@ChasingLaci only joined the our family a few days ago, but is already a starred reviewer and helped YWS hit over 100 reviews on August 15th! Why not return the favor by reviewing her poem entitled, Penny For Your Thoughts ?

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@itsrockyraccoon@LostHeiress@nami048@Maggiepeace22@SydneysDiary@shannonlyons@arlery@MissGrace1012@curioushostility@arpit@shellr92@AlexandruM96@Ray@Firsthorseman@florence16@vivxcity@Secretgirl@AbbyW@pariya1999@RainbowPanda@Nicolation17@VoidBrain@Blongerprime@wennerc@TheRebel07@ayianamallory@Stars@vitamere@Nymix@RachellehcaR@Honor@jayu6766@MiraCaine@EstherT@neverknowwriter@tyeshapearsall@EarthMonkey@mariaangelesjs@TheDreamer@ethan1@XxDarkestSkyxX@bethanyjo1997@Archer@Jannix80@cancer1@dalintonj@TheSilentSword@Danilion@AlexLegend@Imanonymous@Sawyoga • @makalat29 • @Ainni@WriterAB • @Storybrainiac • @siblinijournal • @justsomeblondewriter • @peacelover64@BlackCrow@Orlas@Fantasynovels@meghnaprakash5@alliteddy@Iwillbenear@SilverFlame@Jordachujustdied@ymagazine@Aztecgodess24601@brent213@SJSmith@TeamAlpha

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:05 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP - 8/18
written by: Hannah < PM: >

It was a dark and stormy night and you were looking for the next big links.
You avoided doing your own work like the plague.
The realization that you didn't have to hit you like a ton of bricks: the link round up!
This week's round up is free of cliches, asbestos, and genetically modified organisms~

As the lovely @HomeschooledTeen mentioned in her article above, it's Back to School Time again for many YWsers! And for many YWSers, it's been a couple months since they even thought about cracking open a book. Luckily, in YWS's oft-forgotten Homework Help Forum , @Remrock 's question created an open forum for sharing study skills.

@klotrox16 highly recommends Pandora for finding instrumental classical music to study to. She also says she takes notes on the textbook after they've covered the section in class and studies in two different rooms for best results. For all YWSers who have already successfully graduated, what advice would you give looking back? For all YWSers starting a new year, come in and get a refresher before the teachers start rolling their eyes and suggesting you spend lunch time remembering your ABCs!

I know, I know! Usually, it's pretty easy to keep your internet life and your real life separate, and never the two shall meet. YWS, however, is nothing without plenty of reviewers. The more active members there are, the more reviews you'll get on your works. So, as Nate says,

If you feel so inclined, you can help spread the word about YWS by posting these flyers in your school, library, grocery store, or wherever such handouts tend to congregate be it on a bulletin board or a sewer drain (well, not the latter hopefully).

There is only one thing that people like better that cute kitties and puppies, and that is BABIES. Generally speaking. Well, members under 13 aren't allowed on sites like ours without parental permission AND babies don't really know how to use keyboards, so the baby forum on YWS is the next best thing, and that forum would be the links forum ! She's not even two weeks old, and is just starting to crawl. Don't you want to be around to see her learn to walk?

Every topic in this special forum leads directly to the link YWSers provide, but you can like links by clicking on the "read comments" underneath the headline and clicking the gold star in there. It's like playing "here comes the airplane" and feeding the baby. Feeding the baby is too cute to resist.

You can also stop in and share some of your own favorite links! We have only up-votes! Join the exclusive club of "YWSers who have posted in the links forum", which right now only consists of @Nate, @Hannah, and @niteowl. You like exclusive clubs, right?

It's a seemingly simple question. Takes no more than a sentence to ask. What basic conditions do humans need to survive? But get Rosey in the Ask an Expert forum , and you're guaranteed to get more than a sentence in reply. Here's a highlight from her extensive and thorough exploration:

One thing to keep in mind is that humans evolved from Earth, and while we're really good at adapting to all parts of the Earth, we're kinda bad at living anywhere else.

This point is especially helpful to think about, because human ego makes us believe we are transportable. We can fly from one continent to another, so why not start a new colony on another planet. Can't be that hard, right? But we literally came up and out of this specific planet -- we are adapted to make use of the resources that were naturally available here. Read more about what every colonial sci-fi writer should consider by clicking through .

For many Ghibli fans, we know that just by entering the theater we're guaranteed a quality and sweet film. Eviehoward, however, made good use of the Media Reviews forum to let us know what she thought of the quality of the newest release with his son. According to Evie, that's an important fact about the movie to consider. She says,

I was skeptical about From Up On Poppy Hill because it was Miyazaki's son and his previous film Tales From Earthsea was undeniably the biggest Ghibli flop.

See a short synopsis of the movie and her recommendation at the link provided. If you've already seen the English dub (or maybe the Japanese version?!), let us know whether you agree or disagree with her opinion. Lazy Ghibli fans are dying to know!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:07 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

And now for this week's Shameless Plugs!

No Shameless Plugs this week

That means I'm going to have to go on another hunger fast. I know it's not as damaging to a metal body, but the mental stress... You don't want to torture your ol' buddy Squills Bot, do ya?

Why not type up a little somethin' for your newest club, literary work, or activity. If you'd like the advertisement to run for more than a single week, please specify that in your PM!

That's all folks~ Now send us yours.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:08 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@Dante • @LouisCypher • @VeerenVKS • @megsug • @BlackNether12 • @thewritersdream • @Letiki • @Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir • @HomeschooledTeen •AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha@fortis • @HighTop

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

A Change Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea