z

Young Writers Society


12+

Prologue

by Dreamersarebelievers


People think that the world of the undead and the supernatural, the world of those beautiful and entrancing creatures that you read about only belong in horror stories, fairy tales and bed time dreams. But those people (even you) are wrong.

What if I told you our kind (human life) was only a fraction of what lives upon this planet. That we are contained in a small radius surrounded by a picket fence.

Have you ever thought how we come up with those stories, you so read in books? Has it ever occurred to you that these wonderful authors have visited this other side? That they come back ready to tell about their adventueres, talking as if they've been gone weeks but were gone a couple minutes.You may be reading this and think: this girl's crazy, well in fact I'm quite sane. I have dreamed of a world so beyond our own. And I have visited it, only in the account of chance.

I have done the impossible, I have walked to the end of existence, only to find it just beginning. Here I have found a life so special it killed to leave it behind. A place were the dead roam, and little people the size of a fingernail fly. A place were blood is spilled only in the account of a meal, and were eyes shine golden in the light. Now I have come back, but only for a little while you see. To tell about my adventures, for if I don't you will stop believing and this world will consist no more. Read on and I promise you, you'll never look at what we call impossible the same again.

But I must warn those who take my challenge, that if you go looking for this place I'm about to spill you shall be in danger. Be wise and be safe. Chance just so happens to lurk around every corner.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4102 Reviews


Points: 254163
Reviews: 4102

Donate
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:00 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!

Anyway let's get right to it,

People think that the world of the undead and the supernatural, the world of those beautiful and entrancing creatures that you read about only belong in horror stories, fairy tales and bed time dreams. But those people (even you) are wrong.

What if I told you our kind (human life) was only a fraction of what lives upon this planet. That we are contained in a small radius surrounded by a picket fence.


Well, I've seen quite a few stories with this exact premise but well, it is still always fun to run into an idea like this one, especially the whole small area surrounded by a picket fence situation cause that is something I haven't actually seen before. It seems like it could be pretty interesting here.

Have you ever thought how we come up with those stories, you so read in books? Has it ever occurred to you that these wonderful authors have visited this other side? That they come back ready to tell about their adventueres, talking as if they've been gone weeks but were gone a couple minutes.You may be reading this and think: this girl's crazy, well in fact I'm quite sane. I have dreamed of a world so beyond our own. And I have visited it, only in the account of chance.


Okay, well, that's interesting, actually linking the whole thing back to all the stories written about these mythical beings...adds an interesting touch here to things that I do like...all in all, it seems like a pretty premise here, especially the fact that this is someone who's actually been to said place and isn't exactly someone that lives in that place...that suggests this is a from different POV than you run into on most version of this premise.

I have done the impossible, I have walked to the end of existence, only to find it just beginning. Here I have found a life so special it killed to leave it behind. A place were the dead roam, and little people the size of a fingernail fly. A place were blood is spilled only in the account of a meal, and were eyes shine golden in the light. Now I have come back, but only for a little while you see. To tell about my adventures, for if I don't you will stop believing and this world will consist no more. Read on and I promise you, you'll never look at what we call impossible the same again.


Well, that was a fun little speech almost there by the one whose I presume is either telling or writing this story here...aand it is quite fun here...I do like when a story has that feeling its coming from actual real life...its definitely a fun concept for a prologue here.

But I must warn those who take my challenge, that if you go looking for this place I'm about to spill you shall be in danger. Be wise and be safe. Chance just so happens to lurk around every corner.


OKay, that's a fun way to end a prologue there, a little bit of warning of danger, those always get readers very excited to read on, well at least me..xD It seems like something I would read here. Relatively solid looking prologue you've got here. :D

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
347 Reviews


Points: 25558
Reviews: 347

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:08 am
OliveDreams wrote a review...



Well, Good Morning there dreamersarebelievers! I am here to review your prologue on this amazingly fine review day!
I will review as I read so that it will definitely make a little more sense to both you and me. I tend to ramble off point otherwise.

I'm always delving around in the fantasy section and your piece caught my eye so here goes!

I'm already falling in love with this idea! Stretching the impossible to the possible. It's clever, original and has already well and truly grabbed my attention.

“I have done the impossible, I have walked to the end of existence, only to find it just beginning.” - I absolutely love this line. You have a wonderful way with words, my dear!

I love the ending. It makes the reader want to turn that page and dive into the world that you are just about to share.

My only criticism I can think of is to really check your spelling carefully before you post. I know it's so so hard to see everything when you're trying to get your ideas down on paper, but it can be distracting for the reader. I find reading my work aloud to myself really helps me pick up the mistakes that I don't initially see.

Good luck & I look forward to reading more soon!

Olive <3




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 76
Reviews: 13

Donate
Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:19 am
Cmacca wrote a review...



Wow, okay, I definitely can't wait to hear more on this. You have keep the prorogue nice and short but sweet. Without a doubt you have succeed in leaving the reader wanting more. The only thing I could possible think of that may be letting this down a tiny bit, is the length of the first sentence. It could perhaps be split into two, as it's a wonderful start and I would hate to see anything gone from it.
For example you make a change like this one:
"People think that the world of the undead and the supernatural does not exist. That, the world of those beautiful and entrancing creatures that you read about only belong in horror stories, fairy tales and bed time dreams."






Thank you for awesome review I am glad you like it



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:54 am
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

Have you ever thought how we come up with those stories, you so read in books? Has it ever occurred to you that these wonderful authors have visited this other side?

This is where you won me over. These two sentences right here, these two rhetorical questions got me thinking. It pulled me into the story, got me wondering if this could actually be true or if this could even happen. And that's a good thing. That's what you want out of anything you write, really. You want to get the readers thinking.

Overall this is a good start. It's got everything that a good prologue needs: a storyline, a character/narrator, setting, suspense, and a transition into the first chapter. You have all of those in this and I really can't find anything wrong with what you've written.

The only thing that I would suggest is to maybe be a little more specific when your character is speaking of what he/she saw on the "other side". Here's what I'm talking about:
I have done the impossible, I have walked to the end of existence, only to find it just beginning. Here I have found a life so special it killed to leave it behind. A place were the dead roam, and little people the size of a fingernail fly. A place were blood is spilled only in the account of a meal, and were eyes shine golden in the light.

The part I bolded I think should be more specific in order to really give the readers a good idea of what kind of creatures will be in the rest of the story. For instance, just before this sentence is one written about zombies("A place where the dead roam"). It's not saying that it's specifically talking about zombies, but it's implied very well. Blood being spilled could be any kind of creature, really. Obviously the meal part is about vampires, but anything else could've spilled the blood. And I can't think of a specific creature who has golden eyes. See what I'm saying? Maybe just be a bit more specific.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this. You've grabbed my attention and wrote an impressive prologue. I can't wait to see where this story goes.

I see that there's a chapter already up. I'll get to that review a little later on today. I can't wait to read it!

Keep writing!
**Noelle**






Thank you for your amazing review. Unlike every one else you didn't give me info on spelling/grammer errors even though those are important to you gave me info on what was good and what could have made it better.



Noelle says...


Spelling and grammar are always good, but it's also important to focus on the story and the content. That's usually how my reviews of novels go.



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 1064
Reviews: 56

Donate
Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:30 pm
AmethystNight wrote a review...



This looks quite interesting. Here are a few grammatical things that you might want to take a look at to improve the piece.

People think that the world of the undead and the supernatural, the world of those beautiful and entrancing creatures that you read about only belong in horror stories, fairy tales and bed time dreams. But those people (even you) are wrong.

This sentence doesn't make much sense. I think you're missing a comma between 'about' and 'only' and, because the subject of the sentence is 'the world of the undead', which is a third person singular, 'belong' should be 'belongs'. Also, you really shouldn't use brackets in a piece of narrative so try to find a different punctuation mark that you can use in their place, like commas.
What if I told you our kind (human life) was only a fraction of what lives upon this planet.

This is a question and, thus, needs a question mark at the end.
That they come back ready to tell about their adventueres, talking as if they've been gone weeks but were gone a couple minutes.

This isn't a sentence. A sentence must have a subject and a verb. Try either rewriting it or joining it with another sentence so that it makes more sense.
that if you go looking for this place I'm about to spill

This makes it sound like you're spilling a place so you might want to take another look at the wording.
Apart from that you seem to have an interesting story in the making and I like the style that you have adopted for the prologue. Talking to the reader can either produce a brilliant piece or a terrible one and so far this looks like a very good use of the technique - I look forward to seeing if you continue to use it and if you continue to do so well with it. Well done and I'll keep an eye out for the next instalment.
Happy writing.




User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:51 pm
Shady wrote a review...



Hey Beli!

Shady here with a review for you this fine evening. c:

People think that the world of the undead and the supernatural, the world of those beautiful and entrancing creatures that you read, about only belong in horror stories, fairy tales, and bed time dreams. But those people (even you) are wrong.
~ Grammar change. Also, the '(even you)' is unnecessary. Who's to say that I think that the world of the undead belongs only in bedtime dreams? I, incidentally, don't believe in them-- but it's not fair to make those types of assumptions about your readers. It would be better to just be like "But those people are wrong."

What if I told you our kind (human life) was only a fraction of what lives upon this planet.
~ Suggestion..."What if I told that our kind, the human race, was only a fraction of what lives upon this planet?"

Have you ever thought how we come up with those stories[s], you so[s] you read about in books?
~ Grammatical fixes. It doesn't really make sense how it reads now.

That they come back ready to tell about their adventueres, talking as if they've been gone weeks but were gone a couple minutes.
~ "That they come back ready to tell about their adventures, talking as if they've been gone weeks-- but were really only away for a few minutes."

You may be reading this and think: this girl's crazy, well in fact I'm quite sane. I have dreamed of a world so beyond our own. And I have visited it, only in the account of chance.
~ Ehh...not a big fan. I can't really think of a way I truly like it, but this might be a bit better... "You may be reading this, thinking that I'm crazy. The truth is, is that I'm quite sane. I have dreamed of this world, and I have visited it. Now I'm sharing it with you."
~

I'm bad at summarizing, so this will be short. Overall, I like the story you're setting up. Since this is a prologue (speaking of which, you spelled it wrong in the title), your mysterious narrative tone works well-- but I hope you drop it as the story progresses, because it gets old, fast.

If you have any questions or need any more help, don't hesitate to ask.

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)
YWS' Supreme Grammar Nazi




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 3149
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:45 pm
SlushySlapped says...



Oh, and also, Prologue is spelled wrong in the title, hun!




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 3149
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:43 pm
SlushySlapped wrote a review...



Hi!

I'm going to start off with grammar and such, just to get it out of the way. Sorry in advance for picking this apart!

"People think that the world of the undead and the supernatural, the world of those beautiful and entrancing creatures that you read about only belong in horror stories, fairy tales and bed time dreams."

The beginning sentence is a bit too long and it can definitely be cut shorter. There are also some words that aren't necessary. This is just a suggestion.

"People think that the world of the undead and the supernatural, the world of those beautiful, entrancing creatures you read about, don't exist. That they only belong in horror stories, fairy tales and dreams."

Human life doesn't need to be in parentheses. And your tense should stick to present. Was should be is.

"What if I told you our kind, human life, is only a fraction of what lives upon this planet."

About can be added here:

"Have you ever thought about how we come up with those stories, you so read in books?"

You're gonna need a comma before but and adventures is spelled incorrectly here.

"That they come back ready to tell us about their adventures, talking as if they've been gone weeks, but were gone a couple minutes."

I think this could be separated into two sentences. You also need some commas.

"You may be reading this and think: this girl's crazy. Well, in fact, I'm quite sane."

Another sentence that can be split in two.

"I have done the impossible. I have walked to the end of existence, only to find it just beginning."

I'm not sure if eyes shine golden makes sense. Instead it could be:

"A place were blood is spilled only in the account of a meal, and where golden eyes shine in the light. Now I have come back, but only for a little while, you see."

To tell about, doesn't flow very well. Maybe, this?

"To reveal my adventures, for if I don't you will stop believing and this world will consist no more."

Another sentence that can be split in two. I think that share with you would make more sense, in place of spill.

"But I must warn those who take my challenge. That if you go looking for this place I'm about to share with you, you shall be in danger."

Okay. On to good things!

You've got my attention! I'm interested to find out what happens next! Keep writing! :)

~SlushySlapped




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 874
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:37 pm
Gingerhead says...



OOOOOOHHHHHH, THE SUSPENSE.......

This actually looks pretty cool! Not your average Twilight (GROAN) supernatural story. (Fingers crossed :))

Can't wait to read on!

Gingerhead x





I am just curious-have I ever been on the bottom quote-thingy?
— foxmaster