z

Young Writers Society

Squills 3/6/2017 - 3/12/2017

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:20 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
Aley

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Holysocks
Spots available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
marmalade
Casanova

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Resources Reporter
ChildOfNowhere

Storybook Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Quibbles Columnist
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Writer's World Columnist
Lightsong

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Social Correspondent
Mea
EternalRain

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Pruno - Available - PM SquillsBot if interested
Gravity

Code Master
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

General Reporters
Kaos
Pretzelstick

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:25 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FM Interview

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

FM is a very special title around YWS, it’s a way for us to recognize somebody on the site and a way for us to honor somebody who contributes to the world of young writers. So, I have the privilege of introducing @GoldenQuill as our latest featured member!!!

To give you some information about Quill, she has been a member since 2009 and is married to @CrimsonQuill. She’s been known for her “angsty” (sad) literary work and is currently infatuated with writing stories about young girls in love. Quill enjoys “old lady” vintage colors, acting, and playing instruments. So, ladies and gentleman, give it up for our featured member, GoldenQuill!!!

Squills: Hey GoldenQuill! Let me first begin the interview by congratulating you on earning Featured Member.

GoldenQuill: Thanks!

S: I was wondering, how does it feel to be featured member?

G: I feel fantastically excited about being featured! It's definitely a huge honor that I understand the significance of. I feel strangely appreciated and loved, and it's definitely exciting and wonderful!

S: How did you initially find out you were selected to be the new FM, and what was your immediate reaction?

G: I have the Tapatalk App, but to be quite honest, I'm not totally sure how it works. I got the notification that I had been tagged in something, and was mildly surprised, but happy, as I recognized that it was Lumi. When I actually read the post, I was in shock. I tried refreshing the page, thinking maybe it had been a joke. Then I showed my husband, CrimsonQuill. I'm still in the same amount of shock! I feel like there's some new duty that I have to do or complete, but there's nothing new for me to do!

S:Where are you most active around YWS? Do you typically spend most of your time reviewing, in the storybook tab, the people tab, etc

G: I definitely spend all my time reviewing. I really, really love editing. When I'm on YWS, I'm editing other people's things. Almost exclusively. I have tried to branch out more recently, but my favorite thing is watching writers getting better.

S: What kinds of things do you do around the YWS community that you are proud of and think are helpful to others

G: I joined this site when I was 13, and the biggest contribution it has had on my life is my writing. To this day, I remember things that the Mars and other reviewers and mods used to tell me about my work. I vividly remember it every time I write. Now, I try to recreate that for other writers. I try to not just tell them what to do, but teach them why they should do it. I'm not quite sure if I've accomplished anything near that, but I like to think that I'm on the road to.

S:If you could nominate one other person for featured member, who would it be and why?

G: Wow, this is a hard one. There's so many people I feel deserving -- many of them actually have already been Featured Members. There's a hundred people I could nominate for this, but I'd probably have to say... @Rosendorn. They're just so encouraging, kind, and loving. I always see them everywhere, and they seem to just be very active and wonderful. I always felt lovely reading something from them

S: Thank you so much for the interview. Congratulations, again!

G: Thank you :)

That wraps up this particular featured member interview. If you’ve got a moment, why not head over to GoldenQuill’s wall

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:26 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SOCIETY PAGES
written by Mea < PM: >

It's another week, another Society Pages! Let's see what's been happening over in the social wing of YWS.

@Megrim has adopted a new bird and named it Dante! It's an African Gray.

@ElizabethLovelace spent a night gracing the People tab with a #songeverytenminutes . I don't think YWS will run out of music any time soon.

@Remembrance and @Basil were responsible for the other half half of the People tab posts this week in their epic showdown/pun war/goof-off. Be sure to thank them for their contributions!

@ChieRynn hacked @AkeliaTaske's account and has since paid for it with a large donation of points. Later in the week, she also got an email addressed to her horse, of all things.

@SilverBerry is on a quest to watch all of Studio Ghibli's movies! This week, she watched My Neighbor Totoro.

@ScytheMeister went shopping and accidentally brought back 18 new books. I see no mistakes made here.

@Crysi needs fidget cubes to keep them occupied while waiting for a package... of fidget cubes.

In other news, @Auxiira has lived in France too long, @alliyah made a cinnamon roll in a mug, @BlueAfrica has found the momentous first gray hair, @fortis is donating blood for the first time, both @FairyLight and @niteowl have achieved a part-time job, and @CharlotteS has just finished War and Peace!

And that's all for this week, folks! Be sure to catch us next week for more of the latest and greatest society updates.

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE WORD OF THE WEEK: ICHOR
written by megsug < PM: >

Pronunciation: ahy-kawr, ahy-ker

Part of Language: Noun

Definition: The fluid which flows like blood in the veins of the gods
OR
An acrid, watery discharge from a wound
OR
Any blood-like fluid

Used in a Sentence: Blood and ichor made the marble floor of the temple slick as mortal and titan clashed.
He carefully wiped the dripping ichor] away, leaving the wound undisturbed.
The alien stumbled and fell, thick black ichor staining its uniform.

Origin: Ichor comes straight out of Greek mythology and the word ikhor, literally the fluid running through gods’ veins. The slight spelling change took place in the translation from Greek to Latin, and the definition shifted to an archaic medical term for discharge from ulcers or similar wounds.

Related words: Ichorous (adj.)

View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by EternalRain < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@Queenie has a nice start of 7 reviews so far, and loves the books Red Queen and Harry Potter.

@LizzieMae has made a post in the Welcome Mat forum, and she’s currently working on a story about a girl with amnesia!

@LonelyStar has completed 4 reviews within 12 hours of joining!

@Mockingjay has three poems up already, one of which is The walls of the heart .

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@Rachel32@Ponmani@nathan98@joel2@LiftWanderer@Writing • @ Wallflower2588 • @ ongbirdcanwrite12 • @girl • @11abhaystark • @arr143 • @ConcealedYouth@ktul • @killinscorner • @jeffersg82 • @Ezhil@Anuzira27@KawaiiKoala@silawi • @BRNT • @malone102 • @beosebukefop • @ang2 • @Arkadymiw • @avani@SH4DE@Azzdret@Diligentheart@MorganHurlock • @Octaviartt • @Louisusn • @Capacious@KatieM@sunsetandstorms • @KaraStevens

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:27 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

This Week’s Link Round Up 3/4
written by megsug < PM: >

@wildlyabstract wants to know what people look for in a main character. Multiple users like flaws. Many are also over strong stereotypical characters, and are looking for something more unique. @jimss23 said:

For me, I like a character that is powerful physically but has mental issues. They struggle much more on the inside than they do on the outside. I also like characters who's personalities (or powers) are completely different from their outward appearance.

What about a main character makes you sure you’ve picked up the right book?

@FluffyDuckling wants to draw characters for people for free. Just give her a name, description, and any other details, so she can bring your character to life like @ Dracula’s Charlie:

Spoiler! :

Take advantage of this opportunity today!

@Nate gave some advice for how to keep your cool when being interviewed for a position. There are 11 tips that are all awesome for anyone who’s about to start interviewing for summer internships or jobs, but one I find really useful is:

Asking questions is a sign of confidence, and most interviewers will respond positively to it. Ask them how they got started at the company, or why they enjoy working there (if they enjoy working there...). Before the interview ever starts, come up with your own list of 10 questions to ask, and try to weave them into the interview to turn it into more of a conversation.

The entire post is helpful though, so make sure you read it before you go off to an interview.

@Megrim has put up a contest to exercise your inner editor. Basically, participants will get a prompt and write a 1000-3000 word piece on it. They will then take the time to review 2 other stories and rewrite their own work based off of reviews they get for the next round. Participants can give votes to works that did a really good job and those with the fewest votes will be eliminated.

What do the winners get after all of that?

First place - 2,000 points
Seond place - 1,000 points
Third place - 500 points

These top three will be featured in a Squills article about their story and their experience with the revisions. They'll also get a super-cool badge (will be posted to the thread when it's finished).

All participants will also get a badge. Plus guaranteed reviews and feedback!

Points, fame, and glory! I mean… and reviews too. Reviews are good. Check out the link for a more in depth explanation of what this contest is all about.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:27 pm
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @Buggiedude2340• @Kosmos • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@ely@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Falconer • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Mage • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim • outvaders • @StormCycle

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

XD YES !!!! EMBRACE THE POWER OF CAPS LOCK + EXCLAMATION!!!! no SHAME IN BEING EASILY EXCITABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
— Euphory