z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Shadow's Rising Chapter 6 (part 1)

by dragonight9


Authors note: this is a continuation of the last chapter and is the memory Shadow was about to peer into in that chapter. A memory of Shadow's mother, Umbra.

Chapter 6

Umbra stopped for a moment to breathe and looked at the cave around her. It was large enough that she could just barely spread her wings without touching the celling, but the ground was broken and had to be climbed over. The glow worms barely cast any light down here but that wasn’t a problem for a night wing like her. Even so, climbing over the rough terrain of the tunnel floor was exhausting.

“Come on Umbra!” The agile and lithe female dragon ahead of her whispered.

“I’m coming, I’m coming. Not everyone is a cave spider like you,” She replied.

Of the three dragons ahead of her, the one furthest ahead and beckoning to her was named Vesper. The larger male dragon just climbing up to the ledge beside Vesper was Tenebrosity. He was the biggest of the four of them and was also older by one year than the rest of them. He was almost more dark blue or purple than black. The small female dragon just in front of her was Sombre.

“Why do we even need to take these back tunnels anyway?” Sombre complained.

“Because we don’t want the grown ups getting all mad that miss princess over there is hanging out with ‘commoners’ like us,” Vesper replied. “Besides, it’s a lot more fun this way,” She laughed as she leapt to the next rock.

“If they’re so worried about you why do you keep breaking out of the palace to hang out with us? Don’t you have some higher class friends to play with?” Tenebrosity asked. Umbra helped Sombre up to the ledge and leapt up beside her.

“You guys are my only real friends. All the young boy dragons in the palace want to do is show off or try to flatter me with fake compliments in the hopes that I’ll favor them when I choose a mate some day. Meanwhile, all the girls want to do is look pretty and talk about which boys they want to marry. Ugh."

‘gag’

"Nooooo thank you. With you guys I get to actually DO stuff. Plus, everybody in the palace is all like, ‘Umbra! Don’t walk so near the edge! What if you fall?’ or ‘A princess does not roll around on the ground like a common dragonet.’ and my personal favorite ‘Umbra! Where did you learn that dreadful language!’” Umbra said, copying her tutor’s horrified reprimands.

All the dragons broke down laughing. Vesper fell on her back in a fit of laughter clutching her chest while Sombre tried to cover her mouth grinning ear to ear. Eventually their crippling giggles subsided, and they were able to continue their adventure.

Eventually they reached one of the exit tunnels. Most of the time they were empty since only the hunters and guards were allowed to use them. Umbra and her friends loved to explore around there and if the guard was distracted or asleep they would sneak a peek outside. If they did get caught Umbra always distracted the guards so that her friends could get away and avoid being punished. They couldn’t do anything to her after all.

“Hey guys!” Vesper whispered excitedly from the entrance to the main tunnel. “The guard today is different. I don’t think I’ve seen him before.”

Everyone crowded around the corner to take a look.

The entrance to the tunnel was only a few wingspans away. The guard sat on the ground near the entrance. His wings were drooped, and his tail laid unmoving behind him. he looked back and forth in a slow, depressed manner.

“Awww. He seems so sad,” Sombre mewed compassionately.

“Yeah well of course. Guard duty sucks. Just sitting there for hours watching for nothing with no one to talk to. Talk about boring and depressing. I mean, I get that having another guard is ‘distracting’ but seriously!” Tenebrosity snorted. “And The worst part is that I only became old enough to be put on guard duty last summer and he looks even younger than me. I bet this is one of his first times on guard duty.”

“Hmmm. Why don’t we go cheer him up a bit then?” Umbra suggested. The others looked at her as if she had just suggested jumping into a cave bat nest.

“Come on Umbra! You know we aren’t allowed this far from the city. If he reports us we’ll be severely punished, and if they think we kidnaped you we could be put in prison or worse!” Vesper hissed.

“Hmph! Well, I’m going to go brighten his day. As princess, I can’t just stand by while one of my guards looks so sad and pathetic now can I?” She joked as she boldly walked out into the passage and crept towards the guard.

Most night wings were stealthy by nature, so it was easy for her to sneak up on the guard while he was focused on what was in front of him. She looked back at her friends who still peeked out from the passage. Their eyes looked like they were glowing in the light of the moon and stars from outside. She smiled at them, then stepped up beside the guard not caring about keeping silent anymore.

“What a nice night we’re having.”

“Ahhh! What?! Who?!”

The guard jumped up and turned to Umbra only to trip on his own tail and fall back against the tunnel wall. Umbra barely suppressed a giggle and offered the guard a talon.

“Sorry about that. Here, let me help you,” She said with a friendly smile. The guard shook his head and took the offered talon.

“Thank you miss. Sorry for jumping like that. I didn’t expect anyone to be out here…” He trailed off and his eyes widened as he realised who he was talking to.

“Princess Umbra! I’m so sorry for acting so disgracefully in front of your highness like that,” he said, quickly bowing.

“Oh please, no need for all the formality. Just call me Umbra, and you needn’t worry about disgracing yourself before me or anything. I’ve stepped on my own tail before,” She said dismissively. The guard stood awkwardly, not sure how to act.

“Um… very well, uh… Umbra. Thank you for forgiving my informality. If I May ask… why you are here?” He asked, looking around for her escort.

“I simply decided to stretch my legs and didn’t want to bother the guards so I may have just… slipped out on my own for a bit.” Umbra replied slyly giving him a wink.

“But prince- I mean, Umbra. It’s dangerous to be out here on your own. What if something were to happen to you? What if some of the cave beasts were to attack?” The guard asked, concerned.

Umbra smiled. He looked kind of cute when he was concerned about her. And He actually seemed concerned about her. Unlike those at the palace who simply worried about her position.

“Well, that’s why I have such a brave guard to protect me, right?” She said with a cute smile. The guard still didn’t seem convinced.

“I really should escort you back to the palace… But then nobody would be here to keep watch,” He muttered anxiously.

“Well, why don’t I keep watch with you for a while?” Umbra suggested. “I’d like to stay a bit longer and it would be nice to have some company while you keep watch right? You seemed quite depressed earlier.”

The guard sighed. He couldn’t go against the wishes of a princess after all.

“Very well. I’d be honored to accept your company for the evening.”

He sat down and gestured to a seat beside him. Umbra smiled happily as she sat down.

“I never did get your name,” She mentioned.

"Oh. Please forgive me. My name is Dawngazer."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
227 Reviews


Points: 39220
Reviews: 227

Donate
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:34 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello again, my friend!

I can see why you would be proud of this chapter. It's so nice to see a memory of Umbra's, and to see some more Night Wings. I really like your choice of names, too. "Sombre" and "Dawngazer" are both REALLY cool for dark dragons, and I like the appearance described for Tenebrosity, as he's more bluish-purple than pitch-black. Cool to picture, and good on you for adding variation to dragons of the same species.

~ on a side note, I think you forgot to capitalize Tenebrosity's name toward the beginning, but that's the only error I spied ~

Umbra's character sounds interesting. She seems energetic and charming. Kind as she relates to the guards and her friends, but a little cheeky too as she mocks her tutor and teases Dawngazer. I also like how she seems like the classic princess or aristocrat, looking for a more thrilling life than the one set for her. I also liked her interaction with Dawngazer, as they were really cute, and it ended on a note that would be great to build on in later chapters. It'd be good to learn what became of him (as well as Vesper, Tenebrosity, and Sombre), considering this is a memory.

The chapter had nice pacing and clear descriptions. The dialogue felt natural and easy to follow. It was good to get more information on Night Wings, as this lets us know more about the main character and his roots by extension. I like exploring the other dragon species, like Ice Wings and Storm Wings, but this felt needed and was incorporated in a good way.

I hope to see more of Umbra's shared memories in the future. In the meantime, this was great!




dragonight9 says...


I was actually considering doing a short novel about Umbra and the events leading up to the night she met Jarid. But that's a ways off.
Anyway I'm so glad you're enjoying, keep up the great reviews :)



RavenAkuma says...


That's a great idea! And no problem! :)



User avatar
147 Reviews


Points: 9867
Reviews: 147

Donate
Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:36 pm
Kaia wrote a review...



Greetings!
I have returned. This was not exactly what I was expecting the next chapter to look like. I was picturing that Shadow would fall asleep without mention of his mother--Umbra for at least another few pages. My surprise when this whole next scene is dedicated to her memory.

So, it appears that Umbra, too was a compassionate dragonet once. Perhaps this is a trait that was passed down from her to her son, Shadow. Again, I love the compassionate characteristic of your dragons. :)

I really liked the dialogue here and the conflict Umbra feels over her princesshood. She wants to be treated just like anyone else, but obviously, she is royalty. I'm glad to see that she has found friends who are supportive of her and respect her not only for her position, but also for her character. How nice! I always like it when the sweet characters get sweet friends to match their personalities. :)

I do have a few things to point out. (as always, lol)

The larger male dragon just climbing up to the ledge beside Vesper was tenebrosity.

"Tenebrosity" should be capitalized here. :)

The guard stood awkwardly, not sure how to act.

This is a perfectly legal sentence, but I suggest phrasing it like this: "The guard stood awkward, not sure of how to act." I feel like that would be a better phrasing, but no biggy. You may not agree with me, and that's totally fine. It's just a suggestion anyway.

At this point, I'm only going to point out errors that I haven't seen before as far as grammar goes because I think I've already gone over most of the comma and period rules. :) And, it's not a really big deal anyway.

Excellent job as always. :) Keep well and keep writing!
-Kaia




User avatar
168 Reviews


Points: 32746
Reviews: 168

Donate
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:14 pm
View Likes
Rose wrote a review...



Heyhey @dragonight9!

How is life treating you?
I am back here with a review for this fascinating chapter of "Shadow's Rising".

First of all, I'm glad to see that you have considered some of the suggestions for improvement, such as shortening the length. The chapters are much easier to read and, of course, to review.

I am actually somewhat surprised to read that Shadow his mother was royalty, a princess to be exact. Does that make Shadow a prince? A night wing prince? Well, this is getting very interesting...

In my opinion, you did create an extremely rare name for Shadow his mother. But it really is a nice name. It really is a good match for her personality.

The name refers to independence, which I did read about Umbra herself in the story. Umbra is someone who values autonomy and prefers to march to the beat of their own drum. She has a strong sense of self and be unafraid to venture into unexplored territories, seeking personal growth and experiences outside societal norms. That would also explain why she has "commoners" as friends and why she isn't afraid to do things her way.

Umbra definitely has a creative spirit. I mean, how did she come up with the idea of using the tunnels to escape from the palace? She also has a strong and dedicated attitude, always going after what she wants with a lot of passion and determination.

I feel that Umbra might possess inner strength and resilience. She may have a knack for navigating difficult situations, adapting to change, and finding opportunities for growth even in the midst of adversity.

The name is also rather mysterious, because the word "umbra" refers to a shadow or darkness cast by an object. But, you never know what is going on in the mind of the writer, therefore I will not make up countless theories, just in case you already have got a huge dark twist in store...

You did create some very interesting and quite nice friends for Umbra, such as Tenebrosity, the largest and oldest dark purple dragon, Vesper, and then Sombre. I'm beginning to wonder what happened to cause Shadow to grow up without his mother.

The encounter with the guard was quite, how shall I put it, it was quite compelling and charming in a certain way.
The fact that Umbra was not afraid to go up to him and have a little chit-chat was indicative of her independent personality, but also her caring personality, she decided to talk to the guard mainly because he looked depressed. Shadow probably got that from his mother, being independent and caring, definitely caring.

Not a lot of ideas for improvement coming from me this time, with the exception of this part of your chapter:

Nooooo thank you. With you guys I get to actually DO stuff. Plus, everybody in the palace is all like, ‘Umbra! Don’t walk so near the edge! What if you fall?’ or ‘A princess does not roll around on the ground like a common dragonet.’ and my personal favorite ‘Umbra! Where did you learn that dreadful language!’” Umbra said, copying her tutor’s horrified reprimands.

You forgot the quotation mark at the beginning of the sentence. And maybe, for a story, it would be better to remove the extra 'o's that you put with the "no" and to not put the word "do" in capitals.
Here an example of how you could rewrite it:
In a resolute tone, I replied, "No, thank you," my voice dripping with emphasis on the word "no."


Describing Umbra's appearance to give the reader a clear picture of her would be another small improvement.
This chapter was a pleasure to read, you have once again amazed me with the amazing chapter of your amazing story.
Keep on doing what you do!

Image

Me,

Red Riddle Rose




dragonight9 says...


Thanks for the review,
I do actually describe Umbra and how/why Shadow grew up alone in the prologue of this story if you want more details.
Shadow's Rising: Prologue

Though it is probably a good idea to remind the reader of this so thanks for the comment.



User avatar
224 Reviews


Points: 32102
Reviews: 224

Donate
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:10 pm
View Likes
AmayaStatham wrote a review...



Hey there,

I'm here to leave you a review!

Image

First of all, I think it is very nice of you to do some kind of flashback with Shadows mother. I really like it and I think it is a nice dynamical change to your story. I must say that you choice of names is amazing! You did a great job over here and I really enjoyed reading this chapter.

Characters:
Umbra
Dawngazer
Umbra's friend's


About Umbra:
I like the description of her, but I would suggest adding some more visual appearence of her.

e.g.
Umbra has climbed to the top, her purple and dark blue wings resting on her back and her eyelids are dark blue. Her breathing is under control and, unlike her friends, she is not tired of climbing, in fact she is excited to be up there.

I love the personality you have given to her and I think it is the best way possible to make her the mother of Shadow.

I really like the idea of her keeping Dawngazer company while on duty. She seems/seemed like she is/was going to be an amazing princess. I did think you could have worked more on her character development and maybe also add some more little scenarios or talking where she is the little palace ((Don't mind me saying, little palace, it is just that I am obsessed with Shadow and Bone on Netflix and am currently watching season two, so yeah. That's that.))

~~~

Dawngazer
I love the funny backstory behind his name and I love the sun too!!!

I really think you did a great job making him seem awkward and insecure in the beginning with being around the princess and calling her by her real name rather than Princess. I like that.

Question though, Is Dawngazer Shadow his dad??

I read part two too of episode 6 and it seems like there is cooking up some smoky stew. So, is he?? That would be cute.

Dawngazer a palace guard and Umbra her royal majesty parents of Shadow.
You never know, it could be a possible theorie for your story. I wonder.

I also think he could use some more character development like describe his movements more or explore his thoughts.

~~~

Umbra's friend's
I really liked that they were supportive and overprotective over her. I do think you could have shown more of them rather than just cut them off after Umbra went to talk to Dawngazer

e.g.
As Umbra makes her way to Dawngazer Sombre, Vesper and Tenebrosity make their way to a quiet spot some distance away from Umbra and Dawngazer. Sobre raises his eyebrows when he sees Umbra giggling at something Dawngazer has just explained. Tenebrosity tells him to calm down, as they will be leaving in a few minutes when night falls.

~~~

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this story. I am glad that it wasn't too long, but I really liked it. In fact I am impressed by your hand picked choice of names, I am thinking about getting some lessons. But that's for another time, when I have more time. I am very excited to see where this goes and I really really really hope that you are going to explain wether Dawngazer is Shadow's father or not?
Oehhh, I wonder what Umbra's parents will think if they find out she has a child with the guard...

Keep writing! Have an amazing day or night! You did a fabulous job!

Magically yours,
Rinisha




dragonight9 says...


Thanks Rinisha,
I actually planned to write a whole story for Umbra and her friends. A short book about the Night Wings and the events leading up to the beginning of the main story.
There are many things happening in the shadows during the course of the main story and it is all controlled by a certain evil dragon and the Night Wings. So, I want Umbra's story to be much more in depth and reveal all the things happening behind the scenes, including how the evil dragon rose to power among the Night Wings.

And lastly, yes, Dawngazer is Shadow's father, though I wanted it to be clear that Shadow doesn't realise this. Perhaps they'll meet later, or perhaps not.



AmayaStatham says...


Hey hey,

Thank you so much for your answer!

I am more excited to see where you are taking Umbras story than Shadows tbh.

I am so so happy that Dawngazer is Shadows father, I do hope you write some more about how exactly Dawngazer is Shadows father.

I wish you luck with writing!

See ya,
Rinisha




“If lightning is the anger of the gods, then the gods are concerned mostly about trees.”
— Lao Tzu