We're all good Americans.

by Willard

I sit in the Fish,
staring at the book collection,
wanting to buy this Holy Bible.

Benefits:

-I learn a bit more about religion
-makes me seem intelligent
-Helpful when it comes to argument
-makes me a good American.

Or, I could buy this Jane Austen collection

Benefits:

-has a cool, collectible cover.
-I heard Jane Austen was okay.

"95 cents"
the cashier says
as I walk out with the text
of Pride and Prejudice
under my arm.

Lightsong wrote a review...

Oh, this is nice simple poem that would bring no trouble for me to review! :) Here we go.

I assume Fish is a bookshop. I don't know the reason you give it a name and not just say "bookshop" but it sounds redundant if you change it to "bookshop" because of the next line that has "book collection" in it. Eventually, I think it's fine.

For one thing, the benefits of having a Holy Bible surpasses those of having Jane Austen book. I thought that's the reason you put in the benefits lists, so that it'll be easier to choose which book to buy. Because of that, the revelation of you buying a Pride and Prejudice novel comes out of a sudden. Better to explain why this happens.

Apart from that, the poem format is fine. It fits what you're trying to get. :)

Curiosity227 says...

Very nice poem and title.

Rurouni says...

One word Strangle Love:

Wow.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:05 am
Caesar says...

not sure if you're criticizing the holy bible or jane austen.

Willard says...

I honestly don't know

Holofernes says...

I can tell

deleted5 says...

Why not both?

Holofernes says...

probably my greatest issue with this is it seems you favored form over content. Your message wasn't clear to me, as synthetically as it was conveyed. It may just be I'm a pleb who doesn't get poetry though.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:29 am
GreenTulip wrote a review...

Hello, Tulip here to review your poem! It is a very interesting poem, and it's format is different. Not different in a bad way though. It's a very god thing this time.

So at first I thought this was going to be some cheesy poem about how we act as good Americans bah blah. Then I started reading it. And I enjoyed it.

Every bit is true. The Bible does offer you so much, but why should we be good Americans with it when our politicians are corrupted and need it in their lives? The Jane Austen bit was funny but totally accurate.

Best of luck to you in future poems,
Tulip.

raevynstar wrote a review...

I don't know what the Fish is, but I could figure it out, sort of. Maybe change that? If you want to; it's not a big problem.

The poem really captured...I don't know how to describe it, but it did capture something about human nature, and it was a good poem, if that makes any sense.
Sorry this review isn't longer. I don't know what else to write.

Vervain says...

But hey, it has a collectible cover.

kymorhens says...

The collectible cover is what sells it. I've been known to buy books because the cover is interesting.

Go in fear of abstractions.
— Ezra Pound