HWiMTWaJALBiN - Beginning

by Waddlers

He had never gone to Sleep before, but he had been arrested. Rested well and dreamed... but somehow never gone to Sleep. He wanted to try, and was at the gates, but he could not get in.

"Bale blar blar!" The distraction fussed. It stomped and tampered and made a ruckus out of sight. Attempting to scare him away, or make him pay attention to something other than getting to Sleep.

"Why won't you let me?!" The man named Soben called out in anger.

"I'm Guard! You have too muich guilt and anger. You don't deserve to go and I don't want you to!" Guard the distraction told him. He grunted in frustration.

His imaginary friend looked, too, quite fed up. He lay slouched upon the floor impatiently glaring at Guard. Who he could in fact see.

Teedey, the name of the said I.F was much like a large rat dragon. Large for a rat, small for a dragon. It had a ugly bulky head with a long neck and huge bulky arms. However it's torso was long and slender and wrists bared a large bone protrusion giving him a lanky look. It had large horns -not on his head - which towered over him and behind him. The one over his head bore a lantern. The ones behind him held a plant, a mirror and a little dangled instrument which made a sweet high pitched noise with every swaying step of the beast. It had a long tail which from grew an ugly hair here and there. It wore a hat and dungarees with rainbow britches, perhaps to celebrate his pride for his own sexuality. Perhaps to confuse your eyes.

"Also," the creature said, "I would suggest to go WITH someone." Guard's words almost triggered a mad response, but before the man went to point out Teedey he had to remind himself that only he could see his I.F. His I.F was not real to anybody but him.

He wanted Teedey to kill the distraction...but he was unsure how he could then open the gates.

Oh of course. He could climb.

The distraction's face was suddenly clenched in a large hairy fist. It squealed like a pig and hissed like a snake, as it's whole body writhed to get away from this predators grip. As Guard the distraction's face began to tear apart, blood began dripping, no - gushing! To the floor. Teedey's nails scraped under the layer of skin to tear it off more. But soon the rest of the distraction would fall, he would only have gotten rid of the mouth. The hands and feet were just as noisy. One ankle of the littering distraction was grabbed and Guard was thrust down heavily, fully taking off its mouth - which was tossed aside. With this free, bloody hand, Teedey grabbed the arms and had the distraction In a banana shape. The faceless head faced him and began clapping its hands and feet just to taunt the man. The distractions body was snapped in two, and quickly after, its hands and feet were crushed beneath the I.F's feet.

"Little wretch was easier to kill than I expected. Distraction's don't put up much of a fight. But they are durable." Teedey chuckled. He threw the carcass to the ground, which vanished into dust, wiped his hands together and flicked his wrists, splitting dusty blood from his fur. The man simply nodded, and proceeded to climb the tall gate.

Teedey followed suite.

"This is harder than I imagined." The man whined.

"I find it all quite metaphorical." Teedey replied with a grin, admiring his man's butt from just below. Licking his gums with a slimey chap, he swerved under his man and took him on his own shoulders over the gate. They landed with a rough pounce into the ground, and it splashed in their faces. The grass had become water - or perhaps it was always and they hadn't really looked before. Either way, the water surrounding Teedey's feet was warm, and less dense than water usually was. It felt more like warm wet air. There was brown sand - sandy dirt perhaps - just a foot beneath this water, which was clearly visible. Candles - yes candles - floated in a row 3 metres apart from one another steadily on the surface. They were all alight, with beautiful waxwork that didn't appear to melt. To follow the candles would lead to a small grove of trees.

Before they would get there though, a stork came flying, or perhaps plummeting, down into the water with a ferocious splash. They stork appeared old, and held a large sack which it had fallen on.

"Huuuuuuugh!" A creature emerged with a desperate gasp from beneath the water. A little monster. Well, not little, but young. It looked up at Soben confused, and then around desperately at the Stork. "Giiiiii!" A sound of panic escaped her as she leant over the Stork and held its head above the water.

Soben, slightly taken aback, watched intently as this little monster - which had an air of likability - communicated with the Stork. It simply looked past her at Soben.

"This is the man you'll be bared by. I've done what I needed to do." It said as the life began to slowly drain out of it. The monster didn't appear to be crying. Yet. She turned with a tensed chin and a deep frown to the man.

"A-" she squeaked. She couldn't talk or her sadness would surely burst her open like a water balloon. Her nostrils flared as she took deep and deeper breathes. Soben frowned at it.

"I suppose that I have to deal with you now." He said glumly. She looked up at him still as if she were about to cry. He rolled his eyes at her.

"OOOH! You can be the mummy and I'll be your DADDY!" Teedey chuckled from behind switching from Soben to the monster. "I think we should call it GriN." Soben squinted at his IF. Of course that was the most ridiculous name for such a crybaby, but Soben didn't particularly care.

"Sure." He replied. The little monster now named GriN became less upset and more curious of the mans behaviour. It was as if there was an invisible presence with him. You wouldn't be shy of changing clothes in front of a pet, and Soben wasn't afraid of talking to his IF around the little runt. He began to wade through the water towards the grove. GriN just watched him, then the Stork became a little boat, which bore wings that acted as paddles. Maybe this would not be the last place her Stork took her. She hopped in the boat and held her toes as it began to drift after the man. She began to smile.

Teedey kicked and splashed the water crudely at the candles, putting them out. Soben scowled at him.

"Ya know-" he was about to complain when GriN floated past them in her little boat. It wasn't the strangest thing that had occurred. She growled at Soben and he noticed the candles she had collected.

"What's she gonna do with those??" Teedey questioned.

"Find something to re-light them I suppose." As Soben spoke, GriN looked back and nodded at him.

"I'll make it good again." She gave a gravely determined look. "YOOOOOOOOORALLA!" She exclaimed and threw her arms in the air.

Eventually the grove became nearer and somewhat larger. There was a surface - a golden surface, which Soben assumed was treesap as it was sticky to the touch, and created a layer on the top of the waters surface.

"Teeteetee!" Teedey proclaimed, as he strapped a helmet to his head. "Lets explore this island like adventurers!" He said with a grin as he leapt onto the treesap. Soben opened his mouth and raised his hand as if to stop him, but no concern was needed; the sap was perfectly walkable. He clambered on as GriN watched with a sceptical eye, deducing that this man was completely insane. She followed suite and strapped the boat to her back. It made her appear like a tortoise with wings, and suited her quite well. However it gave her an hunch and hobble and she had to bound when she moved. Sort of like a chimpanzee.

"Where did you find the boat?" He clicked. " And why on earth is it on your back!?"

"It's Stork. I'll keep him with me always." She nodded as she bounded off ahead. The golden surface rippled beneath the feet slightly but did not wave and was for the most part like dry land. Eventually the shoes and feet would become golden. And by the time you would get to wash said things the colour would be stained. So now our heroes had golden feet.

The candles continued in the golden grove and GriN had not collected these, as "they were good." Soben acted as if she were strange, despite her knowing he was stranger. She began to scout the surface vigorously, as she could see the fish beneath. They looked stunning. There was suddenly a large fish, which swam at immense speed, who was dropping carrots and parsnips and potatoes on accident. They floated behind him and eventually sank. GriN saw this and was shocked.

"I must get those back to the fish! Before they are wasted!" She cried out. Hopefully the man would understand her position, she thought breifly as she began clawing through the sticky surface, coating her hands in the sap and eventually creating a gap of water. She took a deep breath and swooped in - Stork remained on her back and the wings propelled her through the water grabbing all of the fallen food, following it and storing as much of it the boat. Eventually it became to much and sh had to store it in her tummy. Soon enough she had scavenged them and saw another opening where the fish must've gotten up; it was huge!

She jumped up and landed with a gasp on her feet on the sap. She observed the large fish intently. It was large, fat and blue. It had greens and yellows on its fins which sprouted at its sides and back. It had a mermaid-ish tail which's end swished slightly as it made fitting noises.

"I've dropped all my crops!" He exclaimed angrily. "Sea creatures won't feast upon them so they're bound to go to waste. What a shame." He stopped searching through his sacks and began to keep walking.

"Excuse me sir." GriN called out. It's fins twitches and the great fish's face turned curiously around.

"Me?" He said before he got a good look. When he did, he let out a sigh of relief at the sight that some of his produce had been recovered. "Oh thank you, little one!" He declared as he waddled nearer to her. He collected some in a bag and began to move it away from the child with a curious eye. How is it that she could've done that. It was very impressive. She held up a finger to stop him and grabbed the edge of the sack, pulling it open. She opened wide and launched about 30 different vegetables into the bag from her stomach. The fish's mouth became agape, slightly shocked. Then he blinked. "Suppose I could just rinse them." He mumbled to himself.

"I couldn't fit them all in Stork - my boat sorry." She explained.

"No worries, youngen. I appreciate your help greatly." He smiled at her. It was at that moment when she decided that she liked this fish. More than Soben. She decided that this fish would be her barer instead.

He got up and she began to follow. He looked unsure at her. His walk was hefty but gentle, and his hands certain and soft as he pushed branches and bushes from his obstruction. GriN followed him, wetter and heavier than before.

"Are you lost?" He asked her softly.

"No." She grinned at him. He gulped. "How far away do u live Father?"

The fish choked. "My name is Fettle!" He chuckled nervously. "Not far. I will help you back to your folks soon after. You must be confused, little one."

Interesting that the name Fettle implies health, as she indeed felt more regular around him. This felt right being with the huge fish. She would not like to leave his side.

------------—---------------------

"The runts gone, baby..." Teedey told Soben in a smooth voice. Soben winced.

"Fine." Soben replied.

" You know you really shouldn't be so cold Soben, that's my job!" He grinned.

--------

"You must've been quite determined; you've got grit. That boat - why do you call it Stork?" Fettle asked inquisitively.

"Well," GriNs face became serious. " before it became a boat, it was a Stork. My Stork. She was amazing. She wasn't supposed to be allowed to fly, or sing. As a bird she did. Nothing could take her down!"

"She sang AND flew?!?"

"Yes! And it made my long venture to Soben - the man who must bare me - a lot more enjoyable! Singing and music and flight isn't what you might think. Flying above everything for so long made me see all of the injustice and outlawed justice in the world. Im thankful for it. I know how to make everything good again. First thing; I must relight these candles." At GriNs testimony, the large fish was quite moved. He was impressed by her good actions and words, but not by the outlawed acts. Then again, everybody breaks the law in their own way.

"May I give you a hand in that, my lady?" He smiled kindly at the little girl. She smiled back.

"I'd love for you to!" She grinned, this was what Fettle found her more childish side. At the maximum age this child was 9 he was sure of it.

----

The candles eventually lead them around and soon enough Soben was overwhelmed with confusion. He thought the island was small, he thought he'd been walking for hours, he wanted to yell. It was becoming ridiculous, and he had lost GriN. Sensing the frustration, Teedey grinned wildly and pounced over.

"You! You're angry and tired aren't you?"

"Yes." He simply replied. The surroundings grew darker, especially around Teedey. Teedey chuckled.

"It's pointless. You have nothing here." Teedey smiled as Soben nodded and it became even darker.

"But you can't leave; you'll never get back in!"

Darker still.

"You can't be tranquil or proud. You can't even keep watch of a little girl!"

Very dark.

"You can't even deal with your own- "

Darkness, emptiness. No sound and Teedey was invisible. Which may as well have meant he wasn't there. Soben didn't feel conscious anymore. Then a little dot of light in his vision. It grew larger. And as it became larger the word became closer! It was alive and ushered a bellowing hiss from Teedey who was visible in the light. The light thwacked him away as burnt him up with its light. Soben closed his eyes.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 am
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Waddlers. Pan dropping in to boot this out of the Green Room for good. I'm going to take the piece chronologically and break down my thoughts on it as I read. Grammar corrections will be shown in blue, but they won't be the main focus of this review.

Unlike LadyLizz, I actually quite like the first line. I didn't assume 'Sleep' was a typo, and I quite like that you're making use of the duality of 'go' - we can go to places and cities and locations, but we also go to sleep, as if sleep is some kind of realm. I was actually intrigued by that.

However, things start to go off-track from then on. I feel like you're trying to create a really surreal, crazy narrative, but even within a few paragraphs it gets difficult to keep track of the characters you're introducing. It's hard to picture, as well. I can't tell whether the whole thing is metaphorical, or whether Soben really is waiting outside some physical gates and the distraction has a physical form. It's jarring to read because I don't know how to picture the world.

Too many characters introduced at once, as well. You might get away with that in a less surreal story, but it's already hard enough to figure out what's happening without the reader having to adjust to tons of names. The whole opening needs to be better described, less frantic, and, well, clearer. You can keep the oddities, but they have to be more palatable.

Teedey, the name of the said I.F, was much like a large rat dragon. Large for a rat, small for a dragon. It had a ugly bulky head with a long neck and huge bulky arms. However its torso was long and slender and wrists bore a large bone protrusion, giving him a lanky look. It had large horns -not on his head - which towered over him and behind him. The one over his head bore a lantern. The ones behind him held a plant, a mirror and a little dangled instrument which made a sweet high pitched noise with every swaying step of the beast. It had a long tail which from grew an ugly hair here and there. It wore a hat and dungarees with rainbow britches, perhaps to celebrate his pride for his own sexuality. Perhaps to confuse your eyes.

Once again, this is a heck of a lot to take in at once, and the description is so wild and weird that - despite its thoroughness - I emerge from the paragraph without any clear idea of how the dragon looks. I didn't get what you meant by the horns; you say they're not on its head, but you fail to say where they are instead. I do quite like the idea of the plant and dangled instruments and such hanging from the horns, but I think that image gets lost in the rest of the description.

It needs to be simpler, clearer, and a lot more focused. I hate really long descriptions, personally, because there's too much information to organise. Especially in a description as odd as this one.

His I.F was not real to anybody but him.

Oh of course. He could climb.

If Teedey isn't real to the distraction, how could he kill it? It doesn't add up. Surreal as this universe is, you need to have some rules to it or else the story won't hold together very easily.

The whole fight scene is pretty long-winded, as well. When you draw action out too long, it kind of loses impact.

"I find it all quite metaphorical." Teedey replied with a grin, admiring his man's butt from just below. Licking his gums with a slimey chap, he swerved under his man and took him on his own shoulders over the gate.

...I sincerely hope we're not heading into bestiality territory.

Discomfort aside, how could Teedey put Soben on his own shoulders? I thought Teedey was the size of a large rat? I really struggled to picture what was going on here.

Okay, you've completely lost me here. I don't know what's going on. There's a stork? And a small monster? Which is suddenly dying?

"Sure," he replied. The little monster now named GriN became less upset and more curious of the man's behaviour. It was as if there was an invisible presence with him. You wouldn't be shy of changing clothes in front of a pet, and Soben wasn't afraid of talking to his IF around the little runt. He began to wade through the water towards the grove. GriN just watched him, then the Stork became a little boat, which bore wings that acted as paddles. Maybe this would not be the last place her Stork took her. She hopped in the boat and held her toes as it began to drift after the man. She began to smile.

Still completely confused. Who was having the life drain out of them? I thought it was either the stork or the monster, but they both seem fine now. What's even the importance of the stork and the monster? Why do they need to be in the story at all?

I've skimmed the rest of the piece, but honestly I don't think my points are going to vary much from here on in so I may as well draw this review to a close. I just don't understand what's happening. Events and characters pop up completely randomly - there's no sense of cause and effect, no sense that the characters' decisions are altering the course of the story. The scenes chop and change, the characters don't really talk like actual people, and everything just seems pretty disjointed.

How do you make this piece better? Well, it will need some substantial changes. The main thing I think is missing from this chapter is a sense of purpose. Why is it so crucial for Soben to get to Sleep? What does he want to find there? What consequences will there be if he doesn't make it? Without any answers to these questions, it's very difficult to align myself with the characters and root for what they're doing. The story just feels aimless.

The story needs to be a lot more grounded, as well. Yes, you can keep the craziness and the weird elements, but they need to be restrained somehow. Even in Alice in Wonderland, which is dreamlike and incredibly odd, a lot of what Lewis Caroll talks about is still familiar to the reader. The story pushes the boundaries of normality, but it's still understandable, because he twists things that we recognise as part of the real world and makes them strange. I think if you had more of that, the story would be a lot easier to follow.

Just focus it more. Ask yourselves what the rules and parameters of this universe are and stick to them. Ask yourself why the characters are here. Set a goal for them and stick to it like glue, and always ask whether each part of your narrative actually serves the plot. If you go off on tangents all the time, we'll lose the thread of the plot.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there Waddlers and happy Tuesday. I noticed your work has been lurking in the back of the Green Room for awhile, so decided to stop by and help you boot it out.

I hate to start out reviews on a bad foot and the writer be swearing at me, but this just doesn't make any sense to me. I take everything from the top, so I'm just gonna work through every aspect of this.

The beginning doesn't do anything, it just sits there like a pillow on a couch and doesn't try to reach out to me as the reader. That title and first line and first paragraph, is your one and only chance to catch a reader but you just completely bombed on that one and every other point. The only thing that you're doing during the most crucial attraction point in your story, is waving a giant banner that's saying "Go away!". Not at all even close to what you want to be going on. Let's just look at the opening line by itself, because that's where I made most of my beginning determinations.

I have to assume from how you capitalize "Sleep", that it's something important or special in your fictional universe, but some people might just see that as a typo. You don't make it grand or make it stick out or give any explanation as to why "Sleep" might be special and only for some people. What you do manage to do is make the readers go "Oh crap typos right off the bat, how much worse will this get?" That's what my reaction was to seeing this, that it was going to be riddled with holes and mistakes.
Again, not the first vibe that you want people to get off a work. The title is another story because I assume it's either an abbreviation for a super long thing, or you just faceplanted into your keyboard for a title. I might not even care about that aspect because it was such a weirdo title and you had no reviews, so I had to find out why.

Safe to say while reading through this, I found out why.
When I started reading, I was really just skimming through and looking at how many walls of text you had, without even really checking them out. Walls and blobs of text are another one of those warning signs to readers, that just stops everything and makes them turn around. This might have been a story that you wrote for yourself in whatever format you like, but as I tell all the young writers I come across, when you put a piece up, you're no longer just writing for yourself. If you love how all this is, people probably aren't going to love you the way this is and I'm doubtful that anyone will even like it, but if you've got this as a novel, you need to find readers somewhere.
If you honestly think that this is going to be a series, go to the WRFF and commission someone to follow your novel, because just from this bit, it will take a niche spot.

I'm on my second read through of this and I'm still skipping spots just because they don't make much sense to me or I'm uninterested by the surrounding lines. Not only did you fail to grab the reader at the very beginning by putting forth no effort at all, you also didn't put in the effort anywhere else along the story and I was just left feeling so empty by the end. Empty in multiple ways really, because I still didn't know what the story was about or what had happened or anything of substance about these people. This wasn't much fun to read and I like to have some fun or interests within the plot, instead I keep coming back to the part where I say everything falls flat.

And now that you've read several paragraphs of opinion and straight talking about what's going on in my mind, let's take down some specific points.

The dialogue is like this throughout the entire thing and I'm gonna describe it in the same way that I described everything else, loose and empty. Heck I don't know how you want these words to be expressed in sound, even as much as I hate dialogue tags, I think you need something better to ease into. The current ones give some idea but it's just kinda there and only half explains what the voice should be fitting with all of this.

I'm picking small lines to point out because they are so much easier to use as examples in this case, where stuff just kinda happens and you move along and I don't get told anything. Not only do you not introduce whatever crap is happening, but right after it happens, we're onto the next point and there's no further explanation.
I'm particularly picking on these lines because it's still the opening part of the chapter and there's still nothing going on for me, I've gotten through these lines and there's no spark in my attention. The further I go, the further it supports my point of you not trying to get any readers.
And I'm not sure who is who in any of your scenes because people just pop up and you go "he. he. he. him. his. etc. etc." All of the characters are male and no names have really been given so I just don't know who is who, and if I'm gonna read this, I'd like to know who the characters are.

And here we have come to the first wall of text, which is the first real paragraph and it's informing me about someone I didn't even know. I haven't heard any mention of them before this point and there was no introduction to this introduction and backstory. You're going a touch overboard with the explanation even if this was planted further down, and especially if you're just naming them as one of the three characters I know of so far.
You give some little touching points about this character and then lead off into some more crypticness, which there has been way too much of despite the fact we've only had two paragraphs of substance and I haven't gone anywhere from where I started.
Do you understand how frustrating it is to the reader to not have a single clue what is happening and no guesses at what might possibly be happening in the future? This was definitely not read through or otherwise you probably would have spotted some of the flaws and how none of this fits together at all.

Candles - yes candles - floated in a row 3 metres apart from one another steadily on the surface.

Why does the narrator keep stopping and randomly explaining things that the reader probably wouldn't have questioned? This is a rather abrupt stop and you say "yes candles" like someone would actually question some freaky candles floating? After all over the other weird crap that you have gone through with no support like this, I just don't know where your mind was with this wording.
I'm starting to understand the story as I slowly go through it but it's like so much effort for me to understand it, that I want to ditch it every three seconds. I am so tempted to just tell you no and walk out because the wording is so plain and boring and the work shouldn't feel this long to me.

So now our heroes had golden feet.

I'm not as upset about the description, as I am about the phrase "our heroes", because that is as about as cliche as you can get in the introduction to an action/adventure novel. Whenever you have to make the point that these are going to be the heroes as we progress along, you have made it clear that you either can't or won't properly introduce them in a way the readers could tell by themselves that these are the heroes.

I honestly can not go any further with this work because I think I've given you all the feedback I can for the moment. The story just continues to slope further down and repeat most of the problems I brought up before. If you want me to go further with my explanations, consider what I said before.
PM me if you have any questions and have a nice day.

Moo.
— Cow