lock jawed

by Sonder

it was easier to pour out my soul when it wasn't stuffed black,

when my pillows were soft and i still had eyelashes.

i wish that i could pull my ribs apart and dip fingers in

with nails still white and teeth still sharp, and that i could

scrape off the edges and swiftly pull forth

a poem

a story

a sentence, godammit,

and encase the nightmares that fester within.

a gentle surgery, and gentler nights.

here was a soul that was easily cleaned, and a mouth with a jaw easily unhinged,

and sewing thoughts into words was much simpler when

i had thread left over.

go on, darling,

peer deep inside.

do tell me what you find in there.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:51 pm
Bellarke says...

when my pillows were soft and i still had eyelashes.

a poem

a story

a sentence, godammit,

a gentle surgery, and gentler nights.

this reminds me of a song. the lyrics.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:54 am
Persistence says...

Nice poem ^^

Sonder says...

Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:08 am
Ronald559 says...

Wow a very refreshing poem, that didn't lean on a cheap title or a lame premise. Very good work. Keep it up.

Sonder says...

Thanks! :)

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:26 pm
ChipsMcCoy says...

I like that Nate is not afraid in this poem.

Sonder says...

Dang it. I was trying to strike fear in his soul.

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:58 am
DrFeelGood says...

While I appreciate all the 10 Reason posts (they are a nice fun read) I think you really need to be commended for firmly holding a place in the spotlight!

Also appreciate the fact that your works have strong personal expressions. Something, DrFeelGood should learn, who mostly repeats his formula. XD

Sonder says...

Haha, thanks. I feel a bit awkward now with my poem just hovering among all the fad pieces. XD But it's also a bit of an honor! Thanks again!

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:04 am

Hi there Nightcrawler!

I was originally just going to leave a comment congratulating you for holding your own in the Literary Spotlight among the "Things Nate Is Afraid Of" fad pieces, but I looked over it again and I have a few comments so I'll make this a proper review.

I can relate to the feeling expressed in the poem, how at times it can seem impossible to say what you really want to say. Overall, I think this is beautifully done.

i wish that i could pull my ribs apart and dip my fingers in

with nails still white and teeth still sharp,

I think adding "my" makes the first line flow better. I also think the second line feels out of place here and could be moved, possibly to the end of the first stanza. Where it is, I feel like it interrupts the movement imagery (dipping, scraping).

Overall, lovely poem that much deserves its place in the Spotlight. Keep writing! :)

Sonder says...

Oh, interesting suggestions! I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for the review! :)

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:33 pm
kman134 wrote a review...

This poem was very morbid and a little confusing, but i might have gotten some aspects of the message; if there wasn't any message, then i could say it was pretty creative and good that you're trying your best.

"i wish that i could pull my ribs apart and dip fingers in

scrape off the edges and swiftly pull forth"

This part seemed a bit masochistic; the imagery of it made me feel both disgusted and in awe. Though you should work on it a bit, I still find this a great work of art and hope you post some more.

Sonder says...

Every poem has a meaning. Otherwise, it's useless. This poem was about how I wish I could express myself and put my emotions into words, but how it's very hard to do so. It wasn't meant to be morbid, I was just trying to get across the difficulty I experience.
Also, the point of a review is to tell me what needs work. You said this needed some work. Could I have some specifics please?
Thanks for the review! :)

kman134 says...

well, the grammar needs some work, but, all-in-all, it's still a good poem.

Sonder says...

Lack of capitalization was intentional. Artist choice! :)

Ronald559 says...

you need to learn how to take criticism better. Listen to what people are telling you and take it under consideration. Otherwise you'll never grow.

Sonder says...

I got no criticism in this review other than how I didn't capitalize. That is an artist choice, so other than that I was explaining the meaning behind my poem and actually asking for more specific suggestions. I wanted more criticism so I could improve, which is what you want me to do, so I don't think your comment was necessary. :/

SkyIsDead says...

I concur with Nightstalker here. Criticism actually very well taken here, better than I would have, probably! :D
Also, as a person who also finds difficulty with expressing themselves and putting their 'emotions into words', I found this very relatable from the get-go, so yeah. :3

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:12 am
klennon14 wrote a review...

Hello there, here to review your poem! Wow!!! That's all I can really say. I have nothing to critique you for, because this is just flawless.
The raw emotion just cuts through every line! It's amazing. You certainly have a true talent for constructing your crazy emotions into one concise piece. This is one of the best poems I've read on this site, and I say that to very few, because I am a total stickler. But this- it's just breathtaking.

scrape off the edges and swiftly pull forth..."

I really like the imagery you provoke here, as well as the word choice.

Let me just say, keep it up with the free verse! What a masterpiece!

Happy writing,

Kali Lennon

Sonder says...

Thank you. :)

Willard says...

First two lines are great, I just want you to know that.

Sonder says...

Thanks. :)

I am proud of my self, the reason why some of you might disagree with me a little with, but nevertheless I still proud.
— Oxara