z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Love Through the Bars (Joan and James New Title) Part Three of the First Chapter

by Sheadun


“Henry, my brother, how are you this fine day?” Thomas stood to bow his head towards the king.

“Ah yes, Thomas, I am well. My condolences for the loss of young Henry. He was a promising young man,” King Henry nodded his head towards my mother as he kissed her hand.

“Yes, we are grief stricken at the loss.”

My siblings sat around the king, each greeting him separately as his entourage of nobles entered our room. I was far too tired to be greeting each and every noble in our family. We were known as practically royalty. My father would have been in line for the thrown had he been legitimized earlier. King Henry’s father, my own father’s half-brother, made it impossible for my illegitimate father to sit on the thrown. This caused us to be related to almost all of the royalty and nobles in the English court.

I knew that it would be quite a while until we strode outside for the official memorial, as I sat towards the back off the room. Looking out the window, all I could think of was my brother’s body possibly lying somewhere unknown under the falling snow. This used to be my favorite time of year, but now everything I knew seemed to be different. His death made everything I knew seem more precious.

“May I sit here?” A familiar voice asked from behind me.

“John,” I smiled at my closest brother in age, “Yes of course.”

I leaned my head against his muscular shoulder.

“I wanted to tell you before anyone else,” John said eerily.

“Tell me what?” I pulled back suddenly, frightened at what John wanted to say to me immediately.

“I’ve been recruited for King Henry’s campaigns this upcoming year. As the next earl of Somerset, Thomas and Henry believe that I should be fighting for a grander cause, as I am going to be a major earl in court.”

“The campaigns?” I paled, “The Rouen campaigns, same as our brother?”

John looked away from my face in the shame of putting our family through so much, “I have no choice in the matter, dear Joan. You know this, as do I. I am told that the campaigns will last for not much longer, but there really is no way to be sure.”

“You cannot go,” I panicked, feeling the terror running thick in my veins, “If you go, we will surely lose you as we have Henry. Do not leave me John, I will never forgive you if you choose to leave.”

“I do not have a choice,” John raised his voice, quickly lowering it as he realized the nobles around us had looked, “Joan, if I do not go I put the reputation of our entire family at stake. I cannot do that to you, or mother, or our brothers and sister. I will go to Rouen, but I will return. I leave after the twelve days of Christmas.”

My anger covered my pain in a sudden wave, “Our reputation means absolutely nothing to me. You mean something to me, John, and I am sure our family will feel the same way.”

“No, Joan,” He said gently, “This is my duty as the eldest child now. I’m sorry if this hurts you, sister. But it is only to protect you. If I am seen as honorable, as Henry was, then our whole family will be seen as honorable for a lifetime.”

I couldn’t stand my brother’s talk any longer. I stood to leave, exiting through our nearest door.

“Cousin Joan, come here!” A voice called me back and I had to restrain myself from rolling my eyes at whomever was calling me.

“King Henry,” I answered, surprised to see the King beckoning me to join him.

“May I introduce Lady Catherine Douglas, a companion to the English court,” He nodded towards a woman of about twenty standing beside him. She was beautiful, with long dark curls and ruby red lips.

“Lady Joan, I have heard much about you,” She bowed slightly, holding out her hand for me to take, “Might we talk?”

“Yes of course, Lady Catherine. I would be very pleased to speak with you.”

She took my arm in her own, as we said our goodbyes to the king.

“Do you happen to have a garden, my dear?”

“Yes, lady Catherine. Straight through this door,” I smiled.

We walked in the garden until arriving at a small bench.

“Might I ask why we are here together, Catherine?” I asked, curious to why I was summoned to a lady of my status.

She looked utterly surprised at my request, “Well, my dear girl, has the king not told you? I am to be your lady-in-waiting when you arrive at English court in the new year.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:56 pm
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again!!

My mind just exploded because I finally made the connection that your MC Joan is probably going to become Joan of Arc?! And if that's the case YES. PLEASE.

I don't have a lot of new stuff to say for this segment. The biggest thing I'm missing and wanting more of is more description throughout. Thoughts, feelings, actions, setting - gimme more.

Now that I've made the connection to where we are in history and what might be coming later in this story, I'm much more intrigued. I like that you've set up Joan's feelings of grief and hurt that her brother died in the war and her other brother is about to join up. I don't know how close to real you're going with this book (because like I said before I'm no history buff) but this is a great motivator for what she'll later do (again assuming you're writing about Joan of Arc).

One other thing to be mindful of, especially in first chapters is that you don't introduce too many people. I've already lost track of who is who and who is connected or related to who. It's hard because I'm guessing you're going to have a big cast because she's in a royal/noble family, but you don't have to introduce all of them in this chapter. You can be a little vague with people in the first chapter as to not overwhelm the reader with people and names.

That's all for now! Let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback on that I didn't mention! I really hope you keep working on this story! A Joan of Arc historical would be awesome! :D




Sheadun says...


Hi Carlito!!

Thanks for the review. I am very sorry to tell you that this is not about Joan of Arc. It's about my ancestor Queen Joan of Scotland. But I'll get into that later!

Thanks again,
Shea



Carlito says...


Well that's still cool! :D



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:19 am
Mageheart wrote a review...



Hello, Sheadun! I'm here to review your work! I'm sorry in advance if my review isn't all that helpful. I'm trying to become a better reviewer, but I'm still not used to reviewing some of the things I'm going to mention in this review.

I couldn't find any major problems with your grammar, so I'll go on to the other parts of your work instead!

My thought about your descriptions also is the same as the previous two chapters. You're great at writing them, but you don't use them to go into a lot of detail about the setting. It would really improve your already great work if you let the reader into the world that you're writing about.

This part of the chapter brought with it more conflict in Joan's family. She doesn't want her now oldest brother to go off to war, but he has to. And, with the death of Henry hanging over her head, she fears for his life. It shows that even though they haven't really talked in the previous parts of the novel, she cares a lot about him. You also set the stage for Joan going to the English court, which I'm guessing is where she meets James. It is interesting that the king forgot to mention that Joan would be going there; it was probably because she already had a lot on her mind or he simply forgot.

I hope this review helped. I really enjoyed reading your work, and I'm sorry if any part of my review seemed harsh! Also, please feel free to PM me if something I said doesn't make sense. I'd be happy to explain it to you. Keep up the great work - which I doubt you'll have trouble with - and good luck on your writing endeavors! I hope you have a wonderful day/night!

Image




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 1616
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:52 pm
View Likes
Shota wrote a review...



Hey Sheadun, enjoyed reading your work here! Couple things I would like to point out!

“Ah yes, Thomas, I am well. My condolences for the loss of young Henry. He was a promising young man,” King Henry nodded his head towards my mother as he kissed her hand.


The flow of this sentence makes it sound like he is addressing Thomas, and yet we see the King kissing Thomas’ mom’s hand and talking to her, it through me for a loop and I had to reread it. Maybe change it up to “…was a promising young man,” King Henry said. Turning to my Mother he gently took her hand with a small kiss.” Or something along that line to make sure it is distinct in who he is addressing and talking to.

That would help the flow of the next part as well because I have no idea who is saying this

“Yes, we are grief stricken at the loss.”


Is it Thomas or his mother who is speaking? Because it feels like it could be either.

I knew that it would be quite a while until we strode outside


I could be wrong on this but I believe strode is past tense in how you are using it, and not future tense. Maybe try, “I knew it would be quite a while until we would stride outside of this place…” I would honestly just use the word leave to help with flow, but that’s me!

“John,” I smiled at my closest brother in age, “Yes of course.” I leaned my head against his muscular shoulder.

Little confused at this. You make the comment about John being the closest brother in age, but it seems like they are closer than that. The fact you used muscular to describe him made it almost feel romantic? Not sure if that was the feel you were going for but that was how I read it.
“Tell me what?” I pulled back suddenly, frightened at what John wanted to say to me immediately.

I think if you cut out immediately the whole sentence would flow better.
John looked away from my face in the shame of putting our family through so much

This sentence had a weird flow. I like what you were trying to convey but it seemed a bit disjointed to me. Maybe try, “John looked away from my face, the shame in his eyes revealing he knew what he was about to put our family through.” Just a thought, but maybe try to convey the feeling by how he is looking or responding instead of just in words. It adds more depth to characters in my humble opinion.
“I do not have a choice,” John raised his voice, quickly lowering it as he realized the nobles around us had looked, “Joan, if I do not go I put the reputation of our entire family at stake. I cannot do that to you, or mother, or our brothers and sister. I will go to Rouen, but I will return. I leave after the twelve days of Christmas.”

Great paragraph. Showed John’s conflicting emotions with the raising of the voice, it allowed me to glimpse his value for family and the reputation, and solidified in my mind what kind of man he is.
My anger covered my pain in a sudden wave, “Our reputation means absolutely nothing to me. You mean something to me, John, and I am sure our family will feel the same way.”


This could just be me, and as this is the only part of your story I have read so far I may be missing some key elements, so please take everything with a grain of salt, but this also felt romantic to me. Not sure if you are going for a Jamie and Cerci Lannister vibe or not?

I understand conveying the importance of what John means to Joan, and I think you should, it just feels more romantic and part of that could be the fact I am still thinking of John’s muscular shoulders lol. Maybe throw in something there about the loss they have already experienced, remind us that their family. “We have already lost one brother due to our pride, what would we gain by losing you as well!”

I couldn’t stand my brother’s talk any longer. I stood to leave, exiting through our nearest door.


Even if the door is theirs, I would cut our and just say the nearest door, it would flow better I think.

She was beautiful, with long dark curls and ruby red lips.


You had me at ruby red, give me her number.

Anyways you’re doing good! I enjoyed reading it, keep writing for sure, and if you have any questions on my comments feel free to ask!




Sheadun says...


Hello! Thank you for all of the comments! I will definitely take a look at them

OH GEEZ. I didn't mean to make it look romantic ! I will most definitely change that around, I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea here ;) They are definitely not romantically involved!

Thank you again!



Shota says...


Of course, and like I said maybe that was just me? Not sure, I'd ask a few other people and see what they say lol



Sheadun says...


I will! Thanks again Shota! And welcome to yws!



User avatar
485 Reviews


Points: 21027
Reviews: 485

Donate
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:08 pm
View Likes
Elijah wrote a review...



Hey, Eli here just as requested to review prt three of the first chapter! I am glad you give us shorter parts of one chapter so I give my whole attention as longer chapters really make me give up on reviewing, my bag habit. Anyways, this part was as interesting as the two before it but I have some questions who might be minor mistakes but cause big misunderstandings. I am thrilled to understand what is going on and sadly accept that we might lose John, I see him for the first time in this part and do not wish to lose him before understanding a bit more about his persona as everyone else.

I find your way of introducing the speech of the personas being better in this part which I praise you for, not making the same mistakes again and again is one of the main steps to get better in writing! I love how you end each part as it lets me with so many questions which earns you a reader for the next part, please notify me as usual when the next part comes up.

Now, to the things that I am not so sure of. This time, they are not about punctuation or grammar, rules or whatever so much as usual. It is more about the concept of the whole sentence and what it makes us think. And it might confuse the reader as they might not understand it further in the story.



My father would have been in line for the throne if had been legitimized earlier.


It is spelt throne if you meant the seat of the King/ruler. And also, the structure of this sentence is messed up completely.

King Henry’s father, my own father’s half-brother, made it impossible for my illegitimate father to sit on the thone.


Let's make this clear. King Henry is the brother of Thomas, the father-in-law of our main personas and siblings, John, Margaret and Joan. The tree in this sentence is really confusing.

Henry's father needs to be her own father's, Thomas, father as well if they are brother just like you started the part with when Thomas called Henry his brother. Throne is spelt wrong again also. In the previous sentence which I remarked and edited, you told us he is not taking the throne. In this one, he took it. A bit more clear explaination please?


Joan, if I do not go, I put the reputation of our entire family at stake.


Keep on writing!




Sheadun says...


Hi Elijah! Thank you for this review!

I'm glad you are enjoying these! Also, I'm sorry about the confusion! Writing historical fiction is so confusing, and this family in particular was very all over the place. I might start including a family tree in the chapters to clarify. Thanks for identifying these problems!



Elijah says...


Just make sure you re-read your sentences and check your content before posting, welcome!



User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 2960
Reviews: 32

Donate
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 pm
View Likes
SnowGhost says...



Good job! I like your writing style. You don't waste your time on excess detail that would lose my attention but you leave the readers imagination to fill in the rest of the picture.




Sheadun says...


Thank snow monkey! Glad you like it!




Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett