z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Children of Zeus (The End of Chapter 1 and The beginning of Chapter 2)

by Sheadun


I decided to change the ending of the first chapter so I added another paragraph or two ! This is that part as well as the first part of chapter 2.

Light. Blinding light met my eyes as I came to consciousness. I picked my head up slowly, trying to fight through the blinding light that I was looking into. I quickly realized that I was lying on the street, under the street light. Ari, I thought urgently, coming back to my senses.

Somehow, I had ended up on the street, without a scratch on my body. I prayed that the same had happened for my older brother.

“Ari?” I called blearily, focusing my eyes in on the mangled sight of my car. I glanced around and my calls for my brother became more frantic. I started to run as fast as I could, my tears threatening me. My feet pounded the gravel as I screamed my brother’s name, running as fast as I could. I skidded to halt by what once was Ari’s car. I searched the ruins, but I couldn’t find him. That is when I saw his sunglasses lying on the road. I walked slowly towards them, hearing sirens quietly in the background. My fear blocked out any other sounds.

I saw him. So suddenly that my breath caught in the back of my throat.

“Ari?” I whispered kneeling next to my brother’s still form. I cradled his head in my lap, feeling for his pulse frantically. There was nothing. Not a fragment of movement. The next thing I knew, I was screaming. Yelling at the top of my lungs for the person that I had loved more than anything, and inevitably lost. I screamed until my lungs felt like they would explode through the labor of it. My tears blurred my eyes as I screamed. I hugged his head to me as if I could keep him from everything that the world had served him with. I screamed when the woman knelt down beside me and took my hands from him. I screamed when they tried to pull him away from me, grasping at the last bit of humanity that I had. I screamed when they took him, carrying me away as well. I screamed until everything I had in me was gone. Until I was a ghost of a person.

Chapter 2

“What is your name?” They asked me.

“I’ve already told you that,” I gritted my teeth, barely holding onto my sanity. My brother was gone, and all they could ask me was what is your name. I knew that they needed to call my parents, and get them there, but why couldn’t they just let me be? My heart felt like it was gone. I could barely see, or breath, at that.

“Sweetheart, we have no birth, social security, or school records of you,” The woman said.

“My name is Everlie Elysia Dunland,” I repeated, staring straight in front of me.

“Yes, dear, but we can’t find your information in the database. Do you know your parents’ phone numbers?” She sat down in the ambulance beside me.

I didn’t answer. Of course I knew their information, but I couldn’t think straight enough to put the ten numbers together that would form their phone number. All I could picture was his hand over mine, telling me that he was sorry for causing me pain. My hand suddenly flew to the spot on my chest wear his final gift to me laid. My beautiful ruby necklace. The necklace that caused the fight, and perhaps even the accident. But it wasn’t the ruby the caused the accident. It was me. I fought with him, I made him turn away from the wheel. This was all my fault. I put my arms around my legs and held them tight, trying to block out every memory. The woman sighed in frustration and turned away from me, letting the doctors take a look at my head. The examination turned out to be useless, I hadn’t been harmed even slightly. An EMT carried me into the hospital and set up a bed for me. They tried not to let me hear, but I heard them saying that I was in a state of shock. I laid on my bed, my hand still wrapped around the last bit of my brother that I could hold. He couldn’t be gone. No, not him. He was always there. Even when I was angry with him, or when I wished that I wasn’t adopted. When I wished that I could just have a normal life. He was my rock, my best friend, my brother. And I already missed him more than anything.

“Everlie,” My mom’s soft voice appeared through the mist in my mind, but I couldn’t focus on it long enough to speak back to her, “My sweet girl.”

She knelt down in front of my bed, stroking my hair with her hand. Tears pricked her eyes as she searched my face for any indication of injuries.

“Dad and your sisters are here too. The doctors thought that it would be better for me to come see you for now,” She spoke slowly, as if she thought that my brain might be impaired.

“Where is Ari?” I didn’t realize I had spoken my words out loud until I saw my mom’s face change from loving to grim in an instant. Maybe there was a chance I was wrong. Even if she looked so grim, maybe he was in surgery or recovering in a different room.

“Oh, my sweet evergreen,” Mom whispered, “I am so sorry, but your brother didn’t make it.”

I squeezed my eyes shut, just wishing that I could sleep. My dreams were all that could save me from the hell that had seemingly taken my life over. But the moment I tried to drift off, images of our crippled car and my brother’s still form filled my mind.

“I want to see Braelie,” I croaked out suddenly. She was the only one that understood what it was like to be adopted. And now I had lost the only person that knew what it was like to come from our birth family. But Braelie, she would know what it was like for me. I needed my sister.

“Of course,” My mom kissed my forehead gently and walked into the hallway, softly calling for Braelie. I saw my sister walk towards my room, reaching out to mom, worry lines etched across her face. They evened out only slightly when mom nodded her head slightly. She nodded in understanding and turned to enter my hospital room.

“Ever,” She gasped in relief, rushing to my bedside.

“Brae,” I croaked, tears washing down my face slowly as she wrapped her arms around me, “He’s really gone, isn’t he?”

I felt her sigh and lean her cheek on the top of my head, “Yes, love, I think he is.”

That was the first moment that I officially understood the weight of my situation. I would never see him, or hug him again. I would always be known and treated as the girl who so tragically lost someone she loved in her life. Why did it have to be me?, I thought. Things like this weren’t supposed to happen to me. My life was supposed to be perfect.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Sun May 26, 2019 11:32 pm
Lib wrote a review...



Hi again Shea!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight, depending on what side of the world you're on, obviously. I'm here to - yeah, you already know, right? Yeah, well let's start then! This was a nicely written part. And my guess was right! Ari did... Pass away. It must hurt really badly for one to lose his or her sibling in an instant like that. And even worse, putting the blame on yourself. *shudder* I'd never want to know how that feels. I'm fine with my sisters thank you very much. They can be quite annoying, like they're being right now, but that's fine.

Alright, I saw one thing that I'd like to point out really quick. Let's start.

Why did it have to be me?, I thought.


I know this is a thought, but you don't need a comma after the question mark. Your reader will most probably already know what you're talking about, my friend. Well, that's it. And I'm just gonna give a short comment on this:

My life was supposed to be perfect.


No baby girl. No one's life is perfect. Every single person in this world has problems even if they don't show it, my love.

That's it. My review's done. Hopefully this helped and I'd love to see more form you soon.

Happy Review Day!

And as always...

Keep on writing!

~Liberty500




Sheadun says...


Hi!

It makes me so happy that you like all of my novels! I%u2019m so sorry but this one is short too lol! I always bail on my books. So I guess you can use your imagination for the ending HAHAHAH! But I actually did finish Inferior so at least you%u2019ll have the full story of that one!

Thank you for the ever lasting support,

She%u2019s



Lib says...


Your welcome. :D



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:21 pm
View Likes
Atticus wrote a review...



Hey there! MJ stopping by for a short review

I prayed that the same had happened for my older brother.
I think it should be 'to' instead of 'for', since you're describing an action that would have happened TO somebody, not something that would have been done FOR someone.

“What is your name?” They asked me.
When there's a comma separating the speech and the next part of the sentence, the 'they' or whatever word comes next shouldn't be capitalized. It should only be capitalized if the dialogue ends in an exclamation mark, period, or question mark.

They evened out only slightly when mom nodded her head slightly.
'Slightly' is used twice here, so I would find a synonym that you can use to make your word choice a bit more varied.

So as my final grammatical note, I would be careful with your usage of adverbs. It's not something that's really an issue right now, but more like something that you should be aware of for the future so it doesn't become an issue. You used them pretty frequently, which is fine, but make sure that you're not using them as crutches for weak verbs.

Now onto the real meat:
I was amazed when you said that Ever had no marks on her body. I can understand no serious injuries, but if her car was flipped and she was flung out of the car, she would at least have a few scrapes and bruises. It was really mysterious, and the only explanation for a completely uninjured victim of a car crash would be some sort of supernatural interference, which I don't think you want to get into. So while I can understand emphasizing her lack of injury, it becomes a little unbelievable when you say again and again that she wasn't harmed at all.

And finally, I don't think that her expectation of 'my life is supposed to be perfect' is realistic at all. She was adopted, which means that there was some sort of problem earlier in her life, and it would be very unfair to expect that after adoption, life becomes perfect. I would say that 'the day was supposed to be perfect', since it's understandable that she would feel that way. After all, she gets to see a ballet with her brother and receives a beautiful gift, so I would change that expectation from 80+ years to 1 day.

Overall, I think you have a strong story here, as usual, and I did my best to give you some tips that you can keep in mind for editing sessions and for future stories. Hopefully this was helpful, and keep writing! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me, and until next time, have a good day.

Best wishes,
MJ




Sheadun says...


Hi MJ!

Okay so without revealing too much of my main plot, there is a reason for her not being injured *cough cough* without it being supernatural. It takes on more of a mythological aspect. Whoops hope I didnt reveal to much or turn you away from the story :)

Thanks again!!!
Shea



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 am
View Likes
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, Shae! Back again, as promised.

There's some nice writing in this chapter. It's poignant, and you've done well to capture Ever's sadness - and not just the sadness, but the shock and anger that comes with it. Grief isn't an easy thing to write and you've pulled it off so far, so I applaud that.

Before I get into the meat of the review, I'll just say that I think the end of chapter one section would actually be better as an opening to chapter two. The last line of the previous instalment had so much impact that following it up with further paragraphs would ruin it. If you close chapter one with the car flipping and open chapter two with her looking for Ari, that would work fine. It is up to you, of course.

Nitpicks

Light. Blinding light met my eyes as I came to consciousness. I picked my head up slowly, trying to fight through the blinding light that I was looking into. I quickly realized that I was lying on the street, under the street light. Ari, I thought urgently, coming back to my senses.


1) Using 'blinding light' twice makes the writing feel a bit repetitive. I'd try to edit out the second instance.

2) The paragraph needs more showing in it. You miss a trick to talk about the actual sensations that bring her to realise that she's lying on the street. Does gravel dig into her arms? Does the ground press into her spine? Rather than just saying that she's coming back to her senses, try and show her gradually noticing different things, putting the pieces together, becoming more and more aware.

2) I also think you could cut this paragraph down a bit. In writing, you should aim to say as much as you can in as little words as possible, shaving off all the excess. There are a few phrases and words that aren't necessary in this quote.

With all these points in mind, I'll do an example of how the paragraph could look:

Light. Blinding light met my eyes. I raised my head, squinting against the glare. Hard ground bit into the edges of my spine - the street, I was in the street, a streetlight hot on my face, and the car was-

Ari.


Can you see the difference? Always ask yourself if a word or phrase really needs to be there, or if there's a way to convey the information more concisely. As for showing and telling, try to put yourself completely in the skin of your character, focusing on the physical sensations rather than just what they're thinking. Be specific about what they can feel.

Somehow, I had ended up on the street, without a scratch on my body. I prayed that the same had happened for my older brother.


I'd delete this. It's too self-aware and telling. If she's disorientated and terrified, she wouldn't have the foresight to pray for him or even hope that he was okay. She'd be thinking in the most basic, primal way - get to Ari, get to Ari, get to Ari.

focusing my eyes in on the mangled sight of my car.


In what way is it mangled? Be specific! Are the windows shattered? Is it pluming smoke? Is the bonnet (the hood, I believe Americans call it) crushed? Don't settle for non-specific description. You don't have to include every detail, but one or two will make the scene so much more vivid.

I glanced around and my calls for my brother became more frantic.


Again, in what way? Does the pitch of her voice rise? Does she start garbling, almost screaming his name? Is she not even sure what she's calling anymore?

I started to run as fast as I could, my tears threatening me. My feet pounded the gravel as I screamed my brother’s name, running as fast as I could.


Watch for repetition.

“Ari?” I whispered kneeling next to my brother’s still form. I cradled his head in my lap, feeling for his pulse frantically [don't prop up a weak verb with an adverb - choose a better verb]. There was nothing. Not a fragment of movement. The next thing I knew, I was screaming. Yelling at the top of my lungs for the person that I had loved more than anything, and inevitably lost. I screamed until my lungs felt like they would explode through the labor of it. My tears blurred my eyes as I screamed. I hugged his head to me as if I could keep him from everything that the world had served him with. I screamed when the woman knelt down beside me and took my hands from him. I screamed when they tried to pull him away from me, grasping at the last bit of humanity that I had. I screamed when they took him, carrying me away as well. I screamed until everything I had in me was gone. Until I was a ghost of a person.


Here's the thing with writing grief; less is more. Sometimes writers fall in the trap of thinking that, to impress something on the reader, they need to dwell on it. This is what you do here. You spend so long describing the extent of Ever's desperation that it loses the impact. If you just had:

“Ari?” I whispered, kneeling next to his still form. I cradled his head in my lap, scrabbling at the crook of his neck, trying to find a pulse. There was nothing. Not a fragment of movement.

The next thing I knew, I was screaming.


I think that's much more effective. The simplicity makes it more harrowing. It leaves a clear image in the reader's mind and draws their own imagination into the scene. You don't need to tell us why she's screaming and how much she loves Ari. We can tell that from the fact that she's screaming at all.

“I’ve already told you that,” I gritted my teeth, barely holding onto my sanity. My brother was gone, and all they could ask me was what is your name. I knew that they needed to call my parents, and get them there, but why couldn’t they just let me be? My heart felt like it was gone. I could barely see, or breath, at that.


Again, be wary of overselling the grief. Because it's a first person narrative, it feels oddly self aware for her to describe her sadness so precisely. Just focus on the most basic details. She grits her teeth - that's a good bit of showing. I don't think you need much more than that.

Just watch the punctuation, too - it should be a full stop at the end of the dialogue rather than a comma. You only close dialogue with a comma if it's followed by a dialogue tag like 'she said' or 'Mike muttered'.

“Sweetheart, we have no birth, social security, or school records of you,” The woman said.


You're getting the comma use right in dialogue now, but the dialogue tags should never be capitalised. It should be 'the woman' rather than 'The woman'.

Of course I knew their information, but I couldn’t think straight enough to put the ten numbers together that would form their phone number.


Could easily cut these bits. Briefer is better most of the time.

My hand suddenly flew to the spot on my chest wear his final gift to me laid.


You mean 'where'.

It was me. I fought with him, I made him turn away from the wheel. This was all my fault.


I understand survivor's guilt and don't think it's unrealistic that she would blame herself, but this train of thought would have more weight if they'd actually argued. They had five seconds of disagreement at best before they made up again. When you revise the first chapter, maybe develop the end bit into a more expansive and heated argument - don't even have them make up before the crash, if you want to make it especially painful. It'd add an extra note of sadness to Ari's death and really drive Ever's sense of regret.

The woman sighed in frustration


Seems unrealistic. Ever's just been in a car crash and her brother is dead. If this woman is a paramedic, she's likely to be used to people being uncooperative because of grief or shock. I don't think she'd show frustration so openly.

The examination turned out to be useless, I hadn’t been harmed even slightly.


Comma splice. Change the comma to a full stop or a semi-colon.

I laid on my bed


The Lay or Lie distinction is one I've googled a hundred times and never seem to remember, but I've just checked it again and can confirm that this should be 'lay', not 'laid'. Lay means to be horizontal; laid relates to laying an object down.

“Everlie,” My mom’s soft voice appeared through the mist in my mind, but I couldn’t focus on it long enough to speak back to her, “My sweet girl.”


Need to swap out some commas for full stops. It should be:

“Everlie.” My mom’s soft voice appeared through the mist in my mind, but I couldn’t focus on it long enough to speak back to her. “My sweet girl.”

“Of course,” My mom kissed my forehead


Again, a full stop after 'course' instead of a comma.

They evened out only slightly when mom nodded her head slightly.


Just to get rid of the repetition.

Things like this weren’t supposed to happen to me. My life was supposed to be perfect.


It's a bit of a weird line. I can understand her thinking things like this shouldn't happen to her, but it's a step further to expect a perfect life. I don't think anybody expects that.

Overall Thoughts

1) The biggest thing to work on is still sensory description and specificity, which relates in turn to showing. Your description is on the loose side. It feels like you go for phrases and words that get the job done rather than ones that actually conjure a unique picture. As far as improving this goes, it really is just a matter of practice, time, and wide reading. Steal turns of phrase from every author you come across. As John Connolly says: 'writers are magpies by nature'.

2) Keep referring to my first review when it comes to dialogue punctuation, as well as other online resources and examples of other people's writing. Make sure you comb these chapters thoroughly for little errors.

3) I can't remember the quote exactly, but the gist of it was that 'if a word can be cut, it should be'. If there is a way to say the same thing with the same impact in less words, you should say it in less words. Keep that in mind when editing these chapters, because you sometimes fall pray to tagging extra phrases on sentences when they're just not needed.

I'll call the review here! Hope this helped. Poor old Ever - nobody should have to deal with something like this, and I get the sense that it's only going to keep getting worse for her. I have a sneaking suspicion that there's more to that ruby necklace than meets the eye, but only time will tell. Can't wait for more!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan





Sometimes poetry is inspired by the conversation entered into by reading other poems.
— John Barton