z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

The Changing Stars (Chapter 3.2) (LMS)

by Sheadun


I peered over my shoulder to the awkward group we had left behind. Rowan gave me a wave, obviously waiting for my sister and I to relieve his awkward conversation. I waved back, quickly dropping my pinkie from Kenny’s. We strolled back to our table, me making a mental note to act less weird around Rowan. He was my friend, and I needed to remember that. 

Maybe I needed to go somewhere with him where we would be around other people. I didn’t want Rowan to think that our next friendly outing was a date. We needed to get some of the awkward meetups out of the way before we did anything solo again.

Before Kenny started walking back to the table, I grabbed her hand lightly, “What time did you say that party was at tonight?”

Her eyes widened three sizes as she stared at me, as if I were some kind of alien.

“The party? Jeremy’s party?” She asked, grabbing my shoulders with excitement.

“Uh, yeah, Jeremy’s,” I laughed weakly.

“Oh my god!” Kenny screeched, suddenly hugging me, “We can go after Mom and Dad fall asleep. I’ll take care of everything. Oh, geez, I can find you something to wear! And makeup, oh my gosh.”

She chattered on as I took her hand, leading her back to the table, where she sat down heavily, quickly telling everyone of what I was going to.

“You’re going?” Rowan puzzled, as I realized that he hadn’t even agreed to go yet. I had to convince him.

“I guess so,” I shrugged, “You should come too! Maybe it will be fun.”

“Yeah, but, I don’t, uh, I don’t drink,” He said clearly, looking slightly embarrassed.

“Ha! I don’t either. And I certainly don’t plan on starting. I’m just going to go for a little, then leave. Nothing big. Just a little social interaction, as I seemingly have none,” I agreed, relieved that my new friend didn’t plan on drinking. I had no interest in it, so I was glad to see that he didn’t either.

We all smiled, but Kenny most definitely had the biggest grin. She put her arms around me lightly and squeezed.

“Oh, Bray Bray, you’re coming with me!” She laughed, squishing me.

“I don’t know,” I squirmed on my vanity chair, “Can’t we just tell Mom and Dad? I’m sure they’d let us go. Even if it’s for an hour or two. Come on, Ken.”

“No!” She shouted, “If you tell them, then I can’t have a good time. And you’ll be there to keep us safe anyways. No more staying home and worrying, Bray. We’re going to have a great time, and Mom and Dad won’t be worse for wear.”

Uneasiness settled in my stomach as my sister brushed blush on my cheeks lightly. I told her that I didn’t want to look like a disco ball, I just wanted to look slightly better. The dress she’d tried to stuff me into had already been enough. I settled for my tighter fitted black dress that still allowed me to keep my dignity.

“Perfect,” Ken whispered, spinning me to look at myself in the mirror. I was pleasantly surprised. She had done exactly as I wanted.

I turned and wrapped an arm around my sister, “Thanks. I’ll try not to be a downer all night, okay?”

She nodded happily, and helped me up from my chair, “Jer will be here in a couple, so we should head downstairs. Be quiet.”

“I know,” I rolled my eyes playfully, trying to cover up my clear nerves. We tip-toed downstairs, me pausing next to my parents’ room for a moment. If I just told them, then if anything happened, they would know. Kenny snapped me out of my thoughts by grabbing my arm and pulling me down the stairs. I breathed out lightly, trying to stop myself from telling them. Kenny would never forgive me if I did, and I knew that. We kept moving.

“Jer!” Kenny whisper-shouted as we stepped outside, running down the walkway, “Hi, sweetie!”

She kissed him lightly, before sliding into the passenger’s seat. I hesitated outside of the back seat door.

“Get in, Bray. We’ll be fine, just stick with me,” Ken prompted, reaching her light hand out to me. I sighed, and slid in.

Jer only lived two miles away, but it had felt like the longest minutes of my life as anxiety rested against me. I would be fine once I saw Rowan there, knowing that there was someone else there on my same boat. We arrived, and Kenny was greeted by a group of her friends, who embraced her and quickly handed her a beer.

“Guys, guys,” She laughed, pointing to me, “My sister’s here! Can you believe it?”

They all eyed me warily as I smiled awkwardly, searching the growing crowd for Rowan, who I finally spotted. I waved him over.

“Hey, Braylie. Ken, Jeremy,” He nodded to us, coming to stand by me, “I put my stuff in the living room if you want to head in there.”

He leaned down lightly to me, “It’s the quietest place. Not as many people are in there.”

I nodded happily, following him. I hadn’t realized that my sister wasn’t there before we had already gotten in. Rowan reassured me that she was fine, with her friends. I took his word and sat down on the couch.

“I cannot believe that I’m actually here,” I said loudly, laughing.

“I would have to agree with that. This is certainly not how I thought I would be spending my Friday. But at least I’m with you,” He shrugged, sitting down with me. I leaned back into a pillow as an awkward silence lapsed over us. A much as I liked spending time with him, we didn’t know each other all that well. I needed to find something to fill the time while it was just the two of us.

“Twenty questions?” I offered.

He nodded eagerly, gesturing for me to start.

“Okay,” I licked my lips, trying to think of something to ask, “On a one to four scale, what was your GPA in New York?”

“Geez, Braylie,” Rowan laughed, kicking his head back, “You really are getting into the good stuff. Okay, okay. Grades. I’ve gotta say, you won’t be too proud. I have a two point nine right now, but I plan on getting it up now that I’m in a ‘stable environment’. That’s what the counselors say.”

I smiled lightly, pleased with his answer.

“My turn. Were you at your Dad and step-mom’s wedding? What’s that like, to be at your own parents’ wedding?”

“That was two,” I held up my finger, “I get to ask two then. I was at the wedding. It was actually pretty awesome. I stood next to them. It was small, not too many people there. I loved it.”

We went back and forth for a while, until my sister stumbled into the room, laughing wildly.

“Bray Bray! Where have you been? I’ve been looking for you for an hour!” She skipped over to me, giving me a big sloppy kiss on the cheek. An hour? I couldn’t believe that Rowan and I had already been there for an hour.

“Hey, Ken,” I replied quietly, wrapping an arm around her lightly, “What’s up?”

“We’re dancing in the kitchen. Come on, come have fun. This is boring,” Ken dragged out her words as she dragged me up.

I shrugged, looking over at Rowan who also stood. Maybe it wouldn’t be too bad if we just had a little bit of fun with the rest of our classmates. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:36 pm
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again!! Sorry for taking so long getting to this!

There's always drama at parties and I feel like in the next chapter we're going to get some dramaa ;) I feel like Braylie wanting to tell her parents about the party and Kenny saying no because nothing bad will happen means that something bad is going to happen and the parents are going to find out... We shall see!!

I think this chapter has some filler that you don't need. I think the beginning scene where Braylie agrees to go to the party and then Rowan agrees to go is fine at that could be the end of chapter 3. I don't think you need the scene where Kenny is helping Braylie get ready because it's not really advancing the plot or showing us anything new. If you wanted to keep it, I'd expand the scene and show some character development with Braylie and her sister. Maybe we could see a conversation about Braylie's reservations about the party or her reservations about Rowan. Maybe we could see a vulnerable side of Kenny. I think the party should start chapter 4. It's such a shift from what the rest of chapter 3 has been about that I think it would work better as a new chapter so you don't take away from what you did in chapter 3.

I'm glad you kept the 20 questions short because that would have gotten boring to read :) But I kind of liked that you put that in there because I think it showed some of the awkward feelings between them that they're both out of their comfort zones at this party and they're friends but they're interested in being more but so much time has gone by they have to start over and it's awkward so they're trying to figure out how to forge this relationship. But I'm glad they're about to get into the party fray (where I'm expecting drama :p)

I think I've mentioned this in previous chapters but the other big thing I'm missing is a sense of place and description - something I always have to go back and add too :) I want the sights, sounds, smells, feelings of this party in lots of detail. I want Braylie's every thought and feeling and I want her thought processes. But, that's a good thing to add in the next draft! First drafts are all about getting the bones out there and then you add in all the other stuff :)

Looking forward to reading more and seeing how this cute little relationship develops! Let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention! :D




User avatar
154 Reviews


Points: 10017
Reviews: 154

Donate
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:47 pm
View Likes
Zoom wrote a review...



Hey,

I have a few things to say. ^_^

First, you've been foreshadowing the upcoming death of Braylie's dad way too much. I'm getting the feeling that this party is a set up for their dad to drive to the house to pick them up and die on the journey over there, or something to that effect. That way you can use his death to cause a rift between Braylie and Kenny. I'm almost certain that something like this is about to go down. Not a bad plot, but it's a shame you hinted at it a bit too much, because the shock of it would have been an awesome read.

Second, I really dislike Rowan. I don't think you intended this, but you've characterised him as needy and clingy. He says things that should be an immediate turn off. He shouldn't be gushing over Braylie so quickly, it come across as insta-love. I get that she is introverted and might not have much dating experience, so may not see him as I do, but I think a key element to a romance novel is that the love interest doesn't make me want to jump out the window.

Third, I get the sense that you have rushed through a lot of your writing, because there are missing words and sentences that just don't make sense. I'm not overly bothered by this considering it's a first draft, it just detracts from the reading experience if I have to stop all the time and figure out what you meant. If you have the time, run your writing through a text-to-speech software. Microsoft Word even has this feature. If you hear your writing spoken out loud then you will catch every single typo, as well as a few clunky sentences along the way. Again, I know you probably don't want to worry about polishing a first draft too much, however I felt there were enough of these mistakes to warrant telling you.

Fourth, your dialog tags are very clunky and a pain to read. You overuse LY adverbs in your tags like you're running out of them. My opinion has changed a lot when it comes to adverbs and I have become a lot more lenient over the last year or so, but even this takes the biscuit. It's a shame because most of the time you are already doing a great job with the dialog itself--you don't always need to buttress dialog with tags. You should focus on implying tone of voice / emotions through actions and simply the words that are being said.

Fifth, I think you could cut A LOT of content. There are a lot of mundane actions/conversations that didn't really build on anything or drive the story forward. Again, first draft allowances. Just a note for when you revise. However you should probably also keep this in mind when writing further chapters. Always ask yourself if a paragraph or even sentence does anything to build on a major element of your story. Does it enrich the plot? Build on charactersation? Furhter the readers understanding in any meaningful way whatsoever? Your answer should always be yes.

Sixth, I think you're doing a great job with the sister dynamic (Bray & Kenny). You have offset them so well in terms of behaviour and charactersation, but at the same time forged a believable bond between them. I can already tell that this will play a huge role in the story to come.

Seventh, I like how you have clearly considered everyone's backstory and let this take shape within the story. Also I'm surprised by how much information you have provided without info-dumping or using lame exposition devices. Really good job, that's an art.

Eighth, my favourite character is Kenny. She's had a hard time yet she has risen above it with a can-do attitude to boot.

If this story doesn't end well for her I will cut you. ^_^

-Zoom




Sheadun says...


Hi Zoom,

Thanks for the review. I will take everything into consideration! Although, I do have to mention that you are a bit mislead with where this party is leading ;) I%u2019m not going to say a ton, but that%u2019s not how it%u2019s going to happen!

I hope you continue to read it. I know at times that the love interest here can be annoying. I%u2019ll edit and change things :) I%u2019m not crazy experienced (at all) with writing or experiencing romance :)

Thanks again,

Sheadun




“I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451