z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Joan and James (1/3 of the First Chapter)

by Sheadun


November 26, 1418

Kenilworth Castle

Never in my life have I experienced such sadness. Margaret and I aimlessly wander the halls of the castle. She grasps my hand, afraid that she will lose me as she did her brother. Henry was nearly seventeen when he met his demise, today is the day after his death and his seventeenth birthday. I cannot fathom the thought of my eldest brother facing death in the unknown land of France on the battle field. We do not know how he has past, only that he was brave enough to face enemies at such a young age. Lost in my own thoughts, I hardly feel Margaret squeezing my hand or hear her quiet sobs.

“Margaret, dear,” I say, my voice catching. I kneel down in front of her and gently hold her small form against myself. Although she is nearly ten years old, Margaret’s soul has always felt younger than the rest of us. Perhaps it is because she has never experienced real tragedy. That is, until this very day.

“Henry is not coming back from Rouen. Joan, he promised he would return,” Margaret snuffled, as her angelic blue eyes seemed to stare into my own soul.

“I am afraid that he is not returning, sweet Margaret. He will be in your heart.”

She turned away from me, wiping her tears and holding her emerald necklace against her heart. My face fell as I realized that Henry had gifted her with the very same necklace, as he had given myself a ruby shaped heart.

“Come, dear, let us find mother and father,” I swiped her hair back from her face, and took her hand gently once again. We walked down the halls, hand in hand, past the looking eyes of servants and visiting nobles. It seemed that every human residing in Kenilworth was looking for answers from us. Although I am afraid we did not hold the answers to their questions. We were just as lost as each individual.

“Joan, Margaret, mother is looking to speak with you,” My youngest brother Edmund spoke from behind us.

“Thank you, Ed. We are going there now,” I nodded at him, but I do not think that he even heard me. Perhaps he was lost in his own thoughts as I was. As we walked past him, I put my hand on the young boy’s shoulder. He was trying to act brave, and I knew it. He considered himself nearly a man now that he was twelve years old, but I knew that he was still a boy. He shook me off and walked in the other direction.

“Come, Margaret,” I smiled sadly at her as we walked into our family drawing room.

“Mother,” I curtsied, as did Margaret.

“Joan, Margaret, my dear girls,” Mother held out her hands as a gesture for us to sit beside her, “We have arranged a small ceremony to honor your brother’s bravery in France. Your father and I have decided to invite the guests to Kenilworth, as this is where Henry grew up for the majority of his young life.”

“We feel that Henry would feel most honored to have his royal family in his own home,” Father’s voice surprised me from his desk at the far corner. I had not seen him upon arriving.

“Father, you are aware as I am that this is not where Henry was raised. This is your home, not ours,” I spoke gently to the man I now called my father. In reality, he was the man my mother had married only four months after my father had met his demise. I was only six at the time, but I remembered more than anyone that Thomas was only my stepfather, not my father. The older boys did not call Thomas father, only myself, Margaret, and Edmund referred to him as our father. Margaret was only one year old at the time of our father’s death. Whereas, Henry had been almost ten years old. For these years, we had lived in Beaufort house in England. Henry had only lived in Kenilworth for six years.

A small bout of anger lit Thomas’s gaze as he replied “I raised that boy from the time that he was nine years old. He was my heir, my eldest son, as you are my eldest daughter. I have taken you into my home, when you and your mother were in need of one. I expect you to think of me as your father. This was Henry’s home.”

I knew that arguing with Thomas was useless, it would only anger my mother. “Yes, Father,” was all I could stomach to reply. I could not help but remember the man that was my real father. I knew that talk of Thomas not being our father made Margaret uncomfortable, as he was all she ever knew, so I tried to cease talking of it.

“The King and his court will be attending our dear boy’s memorial, so I strongly advise the both of you to look your best,” Mother nodded, always thinking of whom we should marry when we come of age. In her mind, I was already of marriageable age with Margaret not far behind. I could not fathom how our mother could think of how we might look at the memorial of her dead son. Her mind worked in mysterious ways.

“Yes, Mother,” Margaret and I replied to her.

“May we take our leave?” I asked, nodding my head in submission.

“Yes, dear. Please wear your best and ask Governess Cecily to arrange your hair in a womanly manner. Margaret’s hair may be done in the usual way. You may leave.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:34 pm
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello!! You asked for a review of this approximately forever ago and I apologize that it's taken me so long to get here!

I don't read a ton of historical fiction, but I do know that historical writers have to do a LOT of research on the era in which they're writing in order for it feel realistic. I'm no history buff and I know very little about Europe in the 1400s (I'm guessing this is Europe? It feels like Europe.) So, if you haven't already, I would recommend reading everything you can get your hands on about this ear and the place in which you're writing. Documentaries will work to a degree (not movies) but you're going to want to do a tooooon of research. I would also recommend trying to find other fiction books written in this area, not to copy, but to get a feel for how the writer writes them and how the writer adds details about the era into the story.

This is an interesting start to a chapter. I like that you're starting with a bang and someone is already dead (which makes me think I should buckle in because there will be more deaths to come) ;) The only problem with starting like this is that your reader has no context. I don't know where I am or who these people are or why I should care about them.

I think your opening would be more dramatic and punching if you start a little before this, maybe show your MC and some of the other people you've mentioned going about their day, showing what life is like for them in the 1400s, giving us a real sense of place and where they are. Throughout that, there could be an underlying tone of worry because their brother is off in war and then at the end of the day they find out he's dead. I think this small change would give your reader a little more context so the death make sense and they care a little more about the reactions of the rest of the family.

That was the biggest thing that stood out to me and I think I'll leave things there for now and skip on over to the next part of the chapter. Please let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! And sorry again for the delayed response!!
:D




User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 am
Mageheart wrote a review...



Hello, Sheadun! I'm here to review your work! I'm sorry in advance if my review isn't all that helpful. I'm trying to become a better reviewer, but I'm still not used to reviewing some of the things I'm going to mention in this review.

I didn't find any problems with grammar, so I'll move onto the other parts of your novel. But I will mention that the way you wrote your sentences made them seem old and mature, which fit the time period that the story is set in.

While your writing style captivated me while I was reading this work, I only was able to learn the name of the setting of the story. I wasn't able to learn what it looked like from this part of the chapter. I'm guessing that you're going to show more of it in the later parts of your novel, but, if you weren't planning on it, you should try including more about it in the future chapters!

Since this is only the first part of the novel, there hasn't been many opportunities to show Joan's personality. But they do see that Joan is very mature for her age, and that she has some conflict with her step-father. From the way that he reacted to her comment about Henry's childhood home not being the one he said it was, it seems like this isn't the first time the subject has been broached. As of right now, I feel like Thomas' comment was justified. He seems to want to be accepted by his family, and the mention of how he's not after his son has just died upsets him because of it. But I'll have to wait for future parts of your novel to see if I still like him.

I hope this review helped. I really enjoyed reading your work, and I'm sorry if any part of my review seemed harsh! Also, please feel free to PM me if something I said doesn't make sense. I'd be happy to explain it to you. Keep up the great work - which I doubt you'll have trouble with - and good luck on your writing endeavors! I hope you have a wonderful day/night!

Image




Sheadun says...


Mage,

Thank you for the review! Your comments were very helpful. Thanks again,
Sheadun



Mageheart says...


You're welcome! I'll review the next part tomorrow!



User avatar
485 Reviews


Points: 21027
Reviews: 485

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:36 am
Elijah wrote a review...



Hey there, Eli here for a review on this beautiful review day for you!

Your work caught my eye because famiy issues and strong female characters is a good mix in my mind and I fancy it. The will that is needed to oppose a strong member of a royale family. Someone you can not even think of as your own parents but you still call them that to not start a fight that might anger each other family member. The story is telling us a lots about emotional traumas, problems within one royale family and a little about the personality of our main protogenist who is you, Joan, a strong lady of still unknown but mature yet age who suffers in this family, still protecting her siblings and trying to understand her parents that she find kind of far away from her understandings.

I would review the next part of this first chapter later this day, if not possible today, I will do it tomorrow or soon enough but I will still do it because the story is interesting. No matter if the review day is over, I will be thrilled to get into the next part of this chapter and understand more about our lovely characters. You start with a bang, a death announced to the family members, and a tragic scene of the main and her younger sister's breakdown. My edits or so called complains are minor and can be easily considered and put into action. My biggest problem which I find in many many works these days since my return is the tense problems. I am sure you have one tense in mind that you want to use during the whole story but you started the story with present tense and from the middle to the end, it is actually mostly past tense. I would prefer past as this is my liking but also likable more to the audience. But this is just an option. Does not change the fact you need to stay in one tense. Of course when it is needed and you talk about things that have happened in different times, years or whatsoever, you can. Go through the story once more, it is not that long after all, and consider what to use. Small edits down below.


I cannot fathom the thought of my eldest brother facing death in the unknown land of France on the battlefield.

My youngest brother, Edmund, spoke from behind us.



Keep on writing and have a great day!




User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:37 am
Atticus wrote a review...



Hi! MJ stopping by for my last review of the night.

We do not know how he has pas
This should be passed, not past.

Demise also seemed to be overused. You use it to describe Henry's death numerous times, but also for the deaths of some other characters, I.e. the MC's father.

I knew that arguing with Thomas was useless, it would only anger my mother
There should be a semicolon instead of a comma because those are two different but closely related thoughts.

Another problem I saw occassionally was info-dumps, which are hard to avoid in fantasy stories thatbegin I'm the middle of someone's life. It can be tempting, but try and shy away from them in favor of more showing and action. Here's an example:
The older boys did not call Thomas father, only myself, Margaret, and Edmund referred to him as our father. Margaret was only one year old at the time of our father’s death. Whereas, Henry had been almost ten years old. For these years, we had lived in Beaufort house in England. Henry had only lived in Kenilworth for six years.

The first sentence could possibly be necessary, but then the extra information isn't really fitting to be revealed right now. Think of it like a world you open up to us, just a little flash of color at a time. You want to still keep your audience engaged by only offering small flashes at once, rather than showing half the world and then expecting the audience to remain interested.

As my final bit of critique, I wanted to point out that the plot isn't moving a lot in this. Since it is pretty short (and I think you would be okay if you didn't break up your chapters), there is mostly talking here's but very little action. As such, I hope that in the next one there is abut more plot movement and development, since this part focused on the character developement. Overall though, this was well written, with only a few small spots that I corrected. I liked how you didn't reveal a lot of how this story will go, just enough info to keep the reader hooked. Good job, and keep writing!

Best wishes,
MJ




User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 2960
Reviews: 32

Donate
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:55 pm
View Likes
SnowGhost says...



Very good. I can't wait for more!




Sheadun says...


Thanks ! Do you want an update when the next part comes out?



SnowGhost says...


Yes please!



Sheadun says...


The second part is posted!



User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:50 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hey Sheadun! So this is just Ink stopping by for a review.

I like the fancy formal prose for here. This story revolves around Joan, obviously belonging to the aristocrats, and I find it fits! Also, the era--about 600 years ago--makes the language fit in my opinion. One quibble I have is that I dislike the tense switch. In the first two paragraphs(approximately) it was present and then it jumped to past. The reason I don't like tense switches is that they're jarring.

Another note I have is that I don't quite feel sad along with Joan for Henry's death. I know that this is a really sad moment for the siblings and mother. The thing is--they don't show it. Maybe even if they're hiding it, I don't really see the strain they have from trying to hold back their grief. Same thing for Joan. And I imagine that Mother must be really, really sad to know that her son has died. I feel as if the melancholy for losing Henry is rather lacking here. Remember not to sacrifice emotions for flowery prose.

I'd like to point out an exposition dump here:

In reality, he was the man my mother had married only four months after my father had met his demise. I was only six at the time, but I remembered more than anyone that Thomas was only my stepfather, not my father. The older boys did not call Thomas father, only myself, Margaret, and Edmund referred to him as our father. Margaret was only one year old at the time of our father’s death. Whereas, Henry had been almost ten years old. For these years, we had lived in Beaufort house in England. Henry had only lived in Kenilworth for six years.


Even though some parts are relevant to the topic, the part like "The older boys did not call Thomas father..." is unnecessary. This can easily be remedied by having one of the older ones pop in and call him something other than Father. My rule of thumb for exposition is to ask whether we need this exposition right now? Can it be shown? Or is it really important for us to know to understand the next plot event?

Other than that, this was an enjoyable read. I don't really encounter works in the 15th century so it was interesting to read a historical based on it. I'm guessing that there's a James who might fall in love with Joan--that's why there's a romance tag. Feel free to use any or none of my suggestions. PM me if you have any questions! :D

Image




Sheadun says...


Hello Ink,
Thank you so much for reviewing! I'm really thankful for the comments for when I revise. This is a first draft, so I will definitely take your comments and make my writing better with them.

Thank you!
Shea



PrincessInk says...


No problem! :D




Remember when dad's shoulders were the highest place on earth and your mom was your hero? Race issues were about who ran the fastest, war was only a car game. The most pain you felt was when you skinned your knees, and good byes only meant tomorrow? And we couldn't wait to grow up.
— Unknown