z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

Not Your Typical Housewife

by Rascalover


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

This had to be the fifth time in the last ten minutes she had flipped her pillow over for the cooler side, and she had already successfully shoved all of the blankets to her husband's side of the bed. She slowly sat up and looked around at all the boxes that still needed unpacking. The Ford industry was booming which made their apartment seem to small for a family. Mark wouldn't settle for less than the perfect American dream life, so here they were in a three level home and a sizable mortgage.

Sighing, Marilyn slid to the edge of the bed and felt around the floor until her toes bumped into the satin soles of her house shoes. With all the energy she could muster, she pushed herself off the edge of their bed and slowly made her way to the bedroom door, careful not to bump into any boxes or furniture in the dead of night. The heavy wooden door creaked, as Marilyn drowsily opened the door. Looking back to make sure Mark was still safe away in dream land, she didn't bother shutting the door in fear of causing more commotion.

Trusting that each step was still beneath her feet, Marilyn held onto the railing as she made her way down the lavender carpeted steps. With each cautious movement, her stomach bounced, and Marilyn couldn't help but wonder about the earthquake that must have been happening within her. The front door didn't make as nearly as much noise as she slipped outside for some fresh air.

Just that morning, Marilyn had painted the front porch swing a pale yellow. Mark had scolded her upon his return home from work. Taking care of the baby and putting dinner on the table should have been her first priority, per Mark. As the subtle wind cooled the sweat dripping down the back of he neck, Marilyn thought of her courtship with Mark.

They both came from the wrong side of the tracks. Growing up, they went on adventures together like hiking and exploring. Even as they grew into teenagers, Marilyn's confidence soared as Mark's belief in her ability to do anything heightened. When the school boys talked about their futures with wives in the kitchens and nursing large families, Mark always made sure to comment about the wife he would have, one who would be creative and assist him in his travels, one who would be his equal. After every conversation, he would wink across the cafeteria or school yard or street, and there Marilyn would be to wink right back, falling more and more in love with each look into those soft grey eyes.

Still going strong in their late twenties, Mark decided to find a job that didn't take so much traveling. A nice office job at Ford. He was sure they were a blossoming business, and soon he could work his way up the proverbial ladder. A quiet librarian life wasn't something Marilyn had envisioned for herself, but it was something Mark had insisted on, so she could get along more with the other wives. It didn't take but a few weeks into the job, for Mark to start coming home and criticizing his home life and why it didn't compare to some of the other CEO's. His list was fairly short:

Marilyn had to quit her job.

Marilyn had to take home economics at the local college to become a better housewife.

Marilyn had to get pregnant.

Marilyn had lost the small town boy she had fallen in love with all those years ago, but she was too old at, twenty-five, to find another husband. Settling was something she was good at, something society had taught her well. As her home economics class ended, Marilyn decided to tell Mark it was a year round class for continuous improvement. The lie smoothed things over because Mark thought she was finally seeing things his way; in actuality, Marilyn had just found a way to keep her job. That was until Lucinda, Mark's boss' wife, came in to check out books on labor and delivery and immediately updated the grapevine that Mrs. Mark Schultz was in fact still employed.

Marilyn rubbed her abdomen in remembrance of the night she came home to Mark's fury. He had come home early to drink and discuss their marriage after hearing about Marilyn's betrayal. Rationalizing with him was impossible, and after he struck her cheek once, Marilyn heart was shattered. After a few obscenities flew past her ears, and an empty beer bottle hit the wall, Mark grabbed her elbow and drug Marilyn upstairs.

The color rose to Marliyn's cheeks, and she quickly shut her eyes trying to ignore the memory that was burned into her brain. Mark had professed her love for her for more than ten years. He had shown her in an array of ways how much he loved her, but the selfish act he pushed upon her that night was no longer love. It was an act of dominance, punishment, and fury. The neighbors were good at ignoring her screams, pleads, and sobs, and when he was done, they also ignored the deafening silence by shutting their blinds and turning up their televisions.

Grabbing the pillar of the house, Marilyn scooted herself out of the porch swing, which was definitely not invented with pregnant women in mind, and shut her house coat, as she made her way back into her smothering house. Coming in with the chills, Marilyn decided to make a cup of hot chocolate before heading back up to bed to the stranger she use to love and adore.

Inhaling the strong aroma and cupping her hands around the warmth of the drink, Marilyn promised her unborn fetus she would never allow such treachery to happen to her. She might look like Mark in every which way, and she might have to suffer the society's ever-changing expectations, but she would no longer be taught to be fearful and have anxiety as her mother does. She would know her worth. Mid-prayer, Marilyn opened her eyes, as a pair of strong, calloused hands gripped her shoulders.

“You're always so tense.” A kiss on her cheek gave him time to think, “Can't sleep?”

A kiss on his cheek gave the growing distance between them time to speak, “oh you know, the baby's awake, so I'm awake.”

**Authors Note: This short story is inspired by the poem I recently wrote called 1950s Housewife- go review that as well in the poetry section. Here's the poem below if you'd just like a little context:  

Slithering under the comforter,

sliding on my house shoes,

and tiptoeing to the bedroom door,

I am careful not to wake you.

As the door creaks,

I watch you to make sure dreamland still envelopes you.

I don't even bother closing the door,

as I walk slowly as first down the lavender carpeted stairs.

I can no longer see them beneath my feet;

I just have to trust that they are there.

As my belly bounces with each step,

I consider the earthquake that must be happening inside.

Making it to the kitchen,

I quiet my insides with just the smell of the hot chocolate.

Wrapping my hands around the warmth of the mug,

I close my eyes and dream of what she'll be like.

Of course, she'll have your light blonde hair,

if any at all.

Of course, she'll inherit your grey-blue eyes,

the ones that dance at my sight.

She'll be chubby and short,

loud and needy,

but what will she get from me;

not much, I hope.

I chance a sip of the steaming mug,

and rub the abdomen that has now become her home.

I didn't invite her here, but her daddy sure did.

How could I refuse those soft hands, those gentle words?

I knew from day one I would be a terrible mother.

So, why are we here in this place?

I know what she'll learn from me,

my anxiety, long nights of worrying and drinking hot chocolate.

For a second, I close my eyes and try to imagine our future life.

A messy living-room, home cooked meals in the oven,

homework strewed across the table, daddy and her in the back yard.

But, where do I fit in?

A messy bun, worn down make-up,

cleaning off the table, regretting her,

yearning for my other life,

the one that never got a chance to blossom.

Before I can open my eyes,

a pair of strong, calloused hands rub my shoulders.

“You're always so tense these days, hmm”

A kiss on my cheek gives him time to think.

“Can't sleep?”

A kiss on his cheek leaves room for the growing distance between us.

How could he ignore my unhappiness so easily?

“Oh you know, the baby's awake, so I'm awake.”  


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 271
Reviews: 23

Donate
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:56 pm
View Likes
PeijiRestoration wrote a review...



First off, I love this. The imagery you used and the feelings you brought to mind were awesome. Both the story and the poem were excellent. But, there were some errors.

Errors
The comma is unnecessary in the line "It didn't take but a few weeks into the job, for Mark to start coming home and criticizing his home life and why it didn't compare to some of the other CEO's.

In the line, "which made their apartment seem to small for a family," you should replace "to" with "too"

The first "as" is unnecessary in the line "The front door didn't make as nearly as much noise as she slipped outside for some fresh air."

In the line "As the subtle wind cooled the sweat dripping down the back of he neck," you forgot to add the "r" in "her"

The line "Marilyn heart was shattered" should say "Marilyn's heart was shattered"

You should replace "drug" with "dragged" in the line "Mark grabbed her elbow and drug Marilyn upstairs"

The line "Mark had professed her love for her for more than ten years." should say "Mark had professed his love for her for more than ten years"

Suggestions
In the line "Taking care of the baby and putting dinner on the table should have been her first priority, per Mark," you might want to replace "per Mark" with "according too Mark"

You might want to change the line "The heavy wooden door creaked, as Marilyn drowsily opened the door" to "The heavy wooden door creaked, as Marilyn drowsily opened it"

"looking back to make sure Mark was still safe away in dream land, she didn't bother shutting the door in fear of causing more commotion." might be better as "She looked back to make sure Mark was still safe away in dream land, but she didn't bother shutting the door in fear of causing more commotion."


I hope I wasn't too harsh, and at least some of this helped. Overall, fantastic story though!




Rascalover says...


Thank you!





No problem, glad to help!



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 738
Reviews: 14

Donate
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:01 am
View Likes
VictoriaAnderson1230 wrote a review...



This was a beautiful piece filled with so much vivid imagery. I'm a massive fan of poetry so I liked that you included where your original idea arose from. my favorite line is "How can he ignore my unhappiness so easily?" coming from a culture where women are mostly housewives (Unhappy ones at that) that line truly struck home. I couldn't see any major grammar mistakes, though I'm not good at identifying them I can usually notice the major ones.

I hope you will continue to write short pieces like this. Though it wasn't long like a story I feel like I have a deep bond with Marylin and feel sad for how she was boxed in and the outcome of her life. I know I said this before but this was a beautiful piece of writing very moving yet simple. :)




Rascalover says...


Thank you!




Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop