z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Flesh and Bone

by Poopsie


We walk around

In beautiful masks

Made of luscious skin and bountiful hair

To hide ourselves from ourselves

And ourselves from others

For we're all the same on the inside.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 171
Reviews: 58

Donate
Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:10 pm
TheStormAroundMe wrote a review...



I really like this poem. I don't know how to phrase that better. Maybe I like it because it can hard among groups of outcasts and rejects who just desperately want to fit in. Maybe I just like it because of your word choice. Hard to know for sure, I just like it.

With that said, using "Bountiful" to describe hair sounded a bit awkward to me. It flowed right in the poem, but I think of harvests when I think of bountiful. I don't really know why. I mean, it's just me, so you don't need to change anything. It's just my opinion.

Like I said before, I love the weight of your words. This poem can basically call out everybody for something that they hide or change about themselves. It's not just for one person. It's for everybody.

I can't think of anything else. That poem was great.
-Grace




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 410
Reviews: 20

Donate
Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:26 am
CardinalSouth wrote a review...



For some reason when I read this, I thought of girls wearing makeup. Girls are under the pressure to be attractive, and although no one says it aloud, it is true. Ask any girl! Even though we are all the same on the inside, we continue to cake on the foundation and eyeliner, covering what we were meant to look like. I'm not sure if this is what you were implying with your poem, but this is a soft spot in my heart because so many are out there who are ashamed of the way they look--boys and girls alike! Looks don't matter, because as you said, we're all the same on the inside. Couldn't have said it better myself. Great work!!!




Verser says...


Thanks :)

P.S: How did you find this?





I read your comment that said something about short poems and I was curious hahaha



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 259
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:40 am
EmeraldLinks wrote a review...



Man, this poem is short but pretty awesome!
Oh, by the way, i'm here for a review! :D

I like how you describe us! The mask part is pretty cool, considering that it's like were wearing mask to cover our bones and stuff. And saying it's made of skin and hair! just love it! And to hide ourselves from ourselves is a pretty good line too, but what I think is the most important in this poem, is For we're all the same on the inside. I just LOVE this poem! Keep writing dude!




Verser says...


thanks



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 719
Reviews: 12

Donate
Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 pm
joshua3322 says...



this is truly a good piece of poetry , I really enjoyed reading this its short but interesting , u captured my eye on this one. I love reading short poetry because there's usually more detail in the short pieces its really clever!! definitely something to take time out to read :D

-joshua




Verser says...


thanks



Random avatar

Points: 323
Reviews: 12

Donate
Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:57 am



This poem captures our generations tendency to hide itself from all ,including ourselves, beautifully. It is split up nicely in the different lines and is easy to follow. There is a lot of impact in such a short writing piece. Wonderful!




Verser says...


thanks :)



User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:44 pm
GoldFlame wrote a review...



Hey, Verser!

This was absolutely beautiful. Sometimes the rawest emotion translates the smoothest--no complex descriptions, no delicate words to mask its meaning. The ending was my favorite line:

For we're all the same on the inside.


It was the most blunt, and thus the most effective. We're all the same, but we wear different clothing. However, while it functions well on its own, it doesn't fuse well with the rest. A little too blunt. Maybe removing the conjunction (for) would mend that... and/or isolating it, forming it into its own stanza.

I also have to agree with AlexSushiDog on "bountiful." It seems a little random, maybe even abrupt, in contrast to the rest of this beautiful poem. The word "bountiful" doesn't imply that hair is beautiful, either. So I'd suggest a little repetition: "Made of luscious skin and lustrous hair"

Keep it up! Looking forward to hearing more from you!




Verser says...


thanks, I'll keep that in mind



GoldFlame says...


No problem!



User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 170

Donate
Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:30 pm
deleted5 wrote a review...



Hey Verser! AlexSushiDog here to review your poem!
I liked the meaning of this poem! It really made you think about what I had just read and the meaning to it. I can see that you put a lot of thought into what phrases you chose such as

To hide ourselves from ourselves

And ourselves from others
For we're all the same on the inside.

This was my favourite few lines!
Not much to improve on this! But maybe instead of "bountiful" (which means lots) you could replace it with another word like "beautiful" (Although that's a bit cliché) or something like "Glistening".
Overall, interesting poem! I liked the thought put into it!




Verser says...


thanks




This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot