The House with the View

by Poopsie

It was early Wednesday when the Smiths awoke. Claire Smith had most likely already left the house, she had to rise earlier in order to make it to work on time. Truthfully it was Michael Smith, who woke at five every morning, pissed, then lay in the dark for the next three hours worrying, rose the first, but if you asked him, he’d probably say he didn’t want to wake his wife before she had to be woken, or he’d say he liked to watch the marine layer softly creep over the horizon. It was soothing to him; he’d watch as it slowly devoured the coast, then each proud skyscraper of the downtown Los Angeles skyline, and then skate softly over the lazy green hills until it came to rest on his bedroom window and the landscape became a mute white. After his wife had gone, he would rise from bed and make his way from the end of the hallway to the stairwell and upstairs where the milky morning light filtered through the wide windowed doors leading to the balcony. It seemed to cling to the house. On the day bed dominating the living room. Across the fake leather sofa, and across from it, the shaggy worn down lazy-boy the boys used to play on. He’d have to wake them soon.

At one side of the room, glued to the balcony windows were the cats. One was a skinny black thing with a white stripe running from his neck down through the underside of his belly and cute white mittens on each of his little paws. The other was a cloudy furred cat, with white and gray splotching his coat, who had grown plump over few months the Smiths had adopted him. Michael loved cats, he never fully admitted it, but he did, and the two that the boys had picked out were perfect. The black one was named Shiva the Destroyer, he had picked that name himself, and the other was named Zilean. The boys had named that one. It was an inside joke, or at least they called it that. Nowadays Zilean would greet him every morning, just after mom had left, by burrowing under the blankets with him and purring until he was forced to get up. He loved them and he’d let the whole house know. The way they woke him almost made him forget about the hours he’d spent lying in the dark. 

He supposed it was something that simply happened. Something that came with the responsibility of being a parent, or more, of life. It was the best and the worst. At least that was how he saw it. There was the joy of children. The joy of youth and love and those fleeting moments when the whole family had gone to the Santa Monica Pier one summer or when the boys, still young, had run around the house laughing and screaming “Running! Running!” It was a joy Michael had never experienced before. The kind that made you laugh through your words. The happiness would never change, but the boys would. They were high schoolers now. Practically college freshmen and they needed to act as such. He needed to be there for them. Prepare them for college, pay for college. That was where the worry crept in. That was why he pushed them. So one day he could look up to them. There was a time when he was their age. It reminded him of how far he’d come, and with that was the knowledge that the end was closer than the start now. He remembered what he’d told the boys at the gym earlier that week. Something about his parents and watching them grow older. Watching his mother, then thirty, and all her wants and needs and insecurities. And then having children himself and watching them grow and loving them and being a father to them. He remembered a few months back, before the new year his sister had sent a file full of videos of his late father. He’d brought the boys down, took them from their games, and sat with them in the dark watching his father recount stories to a very young Aunt Mattie. About his life and all the wonderful little nuggets he could still recount. At least that was how Michael saw it. Yes he’d been there. It reminded him of how far he’d come. Quickly checking the clock, Michael saw it was time to wake the boys. 

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey! MJ here for a quick review.

I agree with Lumos, I think the paragraph size could be cut down just a little, especially the last paragraph. My main issue with this text was all the telling being done instead of showing. It can take a little more time to show every detail, and you can do a little bit of telling, but if you just show, it will be more convincing for the reader.

You also had no action or any dialogue here, which meant it was just exposition for the entirety of the story. To help remedy that, one idea would be to have the MC working on the farm when he starts thinking, like he does in the last paragraph. It's not boring, exactly, just unmoving. And a lack of movement can be a turnoff, and stifle the plot since nothing is happening.

Another problem that oftentimes accompanies long sections of narration is information-dumping, which means that you overwhelm the reader with a bunch of info that isn't essential to the story and can lead the writer on rants that can bore the reader. When authors do this in books, I bang my head against the wall and then skim the next few paragraphs, or pages, or even chapter. It's an easy trap for the writer, but can be devastating. Fortunately, you can stop yours right now since it isn't horrible, but just try and limit the information you give to the reader to a manageable amount.

Other than that, this was a good story. I liked seeing the memories that flooded Michael and how you described his mixed feelings about the coming of age from his boys. On one hand, it's nice to see them grow up into men and be able to help him more on the farm and have more responsibilities, but on the other hand, you miss the energetic little boys who could sit on his lap. You had a lot of exposition here, so once you add some action, the plot will take off since it's basically nonexistent right now. Sorry for my harshness, you mentioned that this was a rough draft so I wanted to rip it up :).

Best wishes,
MJ

Poopsie says...

This isn't really the kind of writing that needs such criticism. What I mean by that is its supposed to be a character study fulfilled by everyday descriptions and thoughts of things through a character's eyes. What I want the reader to do here is literally attribute the descriptions as descriptions of the character. Through this review I can see that I have mostly failed to portray that notion to the reader. So thanks for the review, but more than advice on how to forward the plot i need information on how i can portray how the character sees and lives his life to the reader.

(also i apologize if i sound condescending. I don't mean it at all.)

Atticus says...

Sorry Lumos, I'll just PM you

Lumos wrote a review...

Hi Poopsie! My first suggestion would be to cut down the length of the paragraphs. This is a merely my personal preference (although hopefully I'm not the only one)... long paragraphs can be intimidating. My first thought when looking at a passage with long paragraphs is to click out, because to me long paragraphs = boring and hard to read (maybe it's all the textbooks I have to read rubbing me wrong).

But, not to worry, your story wasn't boring! I'm going to put parts of your story in quotes (I'm not sure how to do it otherwise yet).

"Claire Smith had most likely already left the house, she had to rise earlier in order to make it to work on time. Truthfully it was Michael Smith, who woke at five every morning, pissed, then lay in the dark for the next three hours worrying, rose the first, but if you asked him, he’d probably say he didn’t want to wake his wife before she had to be woken, or he’d say he liked to watch the marine layer softly creep over the horizon."

I had to read this part a few times to understand what you meant. Michael wakes up before Claire. The second sentence is a bit hard to follow. I would suggest rewording it to something like: Truthfully it was Michael Smith who woke first. He would wake at five every morning, pissed, then lay in the dark for the next three hours.

Also, another thing that made me pause is your use of the word 'marine.' I'm really not sure what you mean. Do you mean some sort of color? I've never heard of the color marine.

It seems a little unlikely that he would wake up every morning pissed, and then would lay in bed and worry for 3 hours. Parents do worry about their children, but it has to be exhausting to constantly worry about them day after day. It would make more since if there was a big event happening the day. Like the first day of school or a new job, etc.

I think you have a really good start! My main suggestion is to break down the paragraphs into more bite-size chunks. Good luck in your contest! :)

Poopsie says...

thanks man!

Just to clarify when i say pissed i literally mean he got up and went to the restroom. Also a marine layer is a layer of fog (mist?) that develops over a large body of water. Sometimes it moves a bit inland and so that is what I am describing

Atticus says...

On an unrelated note you can do quotes by doing
and putting the text in between those two quotes

Atticus says...

Oops, that didn't work. I PMed you some ways of doing it

How can I be king of the world? Because I am king of rubbish. And rubbish is what the world is made of.
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane