z

Young Writers Society



snowglobe -edited-

by Pompadour



when i was a kid, i would imagine being trapped inside a snowglobe--except instead of snow, it would always rain inside. i think it was one of those desires that are always this strange knot of half envy and half sheer wonderlust for something that can never assume a tangible form.

it's an easily explained phenomenon: i am envious of the sky, you see, envious because it could always cry so easily when i struggled to shed a single tear. i am homesick, lost in the funereal silence of static weather wanes and people who walk away without looking back. i am homesick for a land of suns, a wall-less land, a land where our footsteps are not marked with minefields and we do not fear the desolation of an entire race. my hands are smog in the lamplight. my hands are smog and the walls are high and i am windowed off from a world that is too afraid to pour alcohol over its open wounds. i dream of rain to wash away the downpour within us, the incessant fear of solitude, the incessant fear of loss when you have never lost anything to begin with.

when i was a kid, i often thought of the world as a machine, one of those steampunk shipyards in glass vessels where the gears are always rusty and aching with the weight of their own being. i'm not really sure where rumours come from, to tell you the truth, but i've been hearing things: people tell me that blood lubricates better than oil and the weight of it is killing me. the world is a warehouse and the shelves have been stocked with toys: toys that blow up, toys that buzz and boom and smash, and--lately, now, jigsaws, unmarked graves, sticks in sand.

please do not tell me to play with the other kids. taste the air: we are mud and concrete and the stale smell of dampness on clothes tossed into cupboards, but the world rattles on overhead, rattles, hisses, laughs because we tuck freedom into our pockets of cartilage and hang fear where our bones jut out to peek at the sun. we are trappedĀ in our snowglobes--trapped until we crack the glass, trapped within spider-thin whorls and sigils of faint freedom.

but i have heard

the atlas is changing. it's changing every night. sometimes it comes back when the tides turn brown with rust, to test us, our swivelling gears, our hearts gushing with the ache of solitude. i sit in silence, watching, back pressed against the cold shoulderblades of the window, pulse thrumming in time to the raindrops as they falter against the ground's stubble. i feel the rain, cold, swamping me, fear and sorrow and happiness flooding my lungs, and i wonder if the rain lets us wash away more than blood and tears and sweat, if it lets us wash the darker things inside us, the grime and the dirt and the graffiti that lines our insides--the things inside us that we can never let be.

i have often wished i were like the rain.

--

to-do list: tomorrow, i will break a tide. tomorrow, i will taste the sun. tomorrow, i will fill my heart with clear rainwater.

today, i will play with the other kids.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
524 Reviews


Points: 7146
Reviews: 524

Donate
Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:40 am
View Likes
felistia wrote a review...



Hi, Felistia here with a review for you on this wonderful day. :D

Nit-picks

i think it was one of those desires that are always this strange knot of half envy and half sheer wonderlust for something that can never assume a tangible form.
This sentence was a little awkward to read and I'd recommend rewording it here and there. It was mostly the first part that was confusing. I think it would read a bit better if it was written something like this
i think it was one of those desires that is always a strange knot of half envy and half sheer wonder-lust for something that can never assume a tangible form.


my hands are smog in the lamplight. my hands are smog
You used the same descriptive word twice here. Maybe use "smoke" instead of "smog".

Grammar and Punctuation

The only problems that I found was a lack of capitalization in your poem. I'd go back through and add in those much needed capitals. :D

Overall thoughts

Theme: Okay so I found this poem really interesting. You had to continual theme of a snow globe and rain. (technically it should be called a rain globe then :D) This was a nice way to present a message about the world. I do believe that you where talking about war a lot of the time with its mine's, bombs and rusty machines. Anyway I thought this was overall an interesting them. The layout of the poem was a bit daunting and was hard to get into, since it's not in the normal layout, but after a little while I started to enjoy it. :D

Rhythm: Your rhythm for the most part was good, but it had one thing that held it back from being perfect. I just thought that the lines where too long. They went on and on and way to many link words like "and". Other then that though I thought it was really good. :D

Description: Your description by far was the best bit of your poem. It was the thing that kept the poem together. You used lot of complex images that just made the poem sing with colour and feelings. I did think that you could have used a bit more depth when it came to some of the senses that you used in the poem like with this part
tomorrow, i will taste the sun.
Maybe include just a bit about how the sun tastes. This of coarse is just an idea. :D

Title: The title was also pretty much a perfect match for the poem. The only problem I found was that you put -edited- in it. I personally just find that unattractive and would take it out.

Overall it was a great poem and I look forward to the next one. Never stop writing and I hope you have a great day\night. :D

Your friend, Felistia. :D

This review courtesy of Image




User avatar
621 Reviews


Points: 4984
Reviews: 621

Donate
Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 pm
View Likes
Rook wrote a review...



Hi Pomp!
Wish I could give this a second "like" because I reread it and wanted to like it but then I realized I already had.

Beautiful poem. I love the rain. Your imagery is so lovely and I swear I could smell the rain and feel the cool drops on my arm and hear it on the roof.

Quick thing:

some snowglobes are meant to be barren, just like some eyes are meant to cry sand and silt instead of rainwater. it is raining outside. the rain always makes me want to cry,

I don't know why, but these sentences don't sit right with me. I think it's the too-soon repetition of the word "cry" or something after seemingly leaving the subject. This is the one part of the poem that sort of broke the flow for me.

So this is beautiful, but it has so much of the same words, the same images, the same meanings, and then it also has different images and different meanings that I can't keep track of, and all of the sameness and differences resolve it just sort of white noise that I can only keep a couple images from the poem in my head like "rain" and "snowglobe" and "cry" and "drunk" (though a few of those may have just stuck out to me). This might be nice because then people can get what they want to get out of the poem, but some people may just read the poem and retain nothing. I'm reading back and there are whole stanzas that I can't remember anything whatsoever from.
I think this is because the poem is too long and is missing focus and direction. I get that it's sort of prosetry, and that's cool, it's okay to have a long poem, but a poem this long without a story to pull it along, or at least progression of some sort, will ultimately be mostly forgettable, and I think most people who aren't daunted by the sheer length of it (curse our tiny attention spans) will just skim it.
I like the to-do list at the end. it's different and it captures my attention. However, I can't recall seeing a lot about breaking tides and tasting sun, and the way it's set up, it reads almost as if it's an essay conclusion where you sum up everything you talked about in the essay.
Or, you need focus.
I think you could easily make a poem that is /considerably/ shorter than this this is /really powerful/ out of just this one line:
"i am envious of the sky, you see, envious because it could always cry so easily when i struggled to shed a single tear."

But here's a part that's more forgettable (oh look it comes right after that really nice line):
you realise, as you grow older, how things are never clear-cut,

And here's another really good part (is this chronological!?), that seems like it should belong to a completely different poem:
i am a contortion of things that are meant but never said and things that are said but never meant

And then there's this line that would be nice if there weren't so many other lines to drown it out and make it like grey static on my mind because it's so train of thought everywhere:
and things that i cannot explain because the world never settles on any one person's shoulders for a time: it floats.

There are just so many extra words everywhere. It's almost like you're speaking in passive voice all the time (I know you're not), that's how needless and unpowerful so many of the words feel. I know it's train of thought and our brains like to cough up some little words to make things flow and sound pretty when you read them out loud,

according to a word counter, your most popular words (other than the, a, of, i, and, you, etc.) are: never, rain, when, always, world, things, inside, feel, meant, and like. Just so you know.

There's just so much going on here that I don't know where to look, so it all just blends together. Kinda like a Jackson Pollock painting or something.
In addition, the format of prosetry give no emphasis on words at the ends of lines, so I don't even have line breaks to direct my attention.

The words and phrases here are all beautiful, but they just don't get the same chance to shine as they would were the poem shorter and more to-the-point.

I hope this helps!
Keep writing!
~fortis




Pompadour says...


<3 thank you for this



Pompadour says...


aaaaand i edited it--hopefully it reads a bit more focussed now? i'm terrible at not going on tangents. XD



Rook says...


yes! it's a lot more focused. excellent editing!




You are beautiful because you let yourself feel, and that is a brave thing indeed.
— Shinji Moon