z

Young Writers Society



reaching to kiss the sun

by Pompadour



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 5
Reviews: 46

Donate
Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:07 am
KingQueenKnave wrote a review...



Hello there. KingQueenKnave here, an honest reviewer. Now, I noticed that this is currently the apple of the website's eye given its prime position on the Literary Spotlight. I will keep this in mind when reviewing your poem.

You have punctuation in your poem, but no capital letters. This is, of course, a conscious decision and is consistent throughout your poem- in fact, for the majority of your poetry. I also can see a fluidity in the metaphors regarding flight, regarding the almost magical abilities of the reader and your sentiments towards them. Though, admittedly, this interpretation does not explain the "trickster" portion nor being "killed by it", whatever "it" is. The structure of the poem is also quite strong.

My problem here comes in the fact that this poem is dressed up very nicely, with a unique formatting style, but what the poem is actually saying has been said before. Those little metaphors relating to nature, the "leaf" which "shak[es] in a gust", feel a little flat. As for the formatting style, I am unsure what it contributes to the poem, other than to perhaps disguise the lack of creativity within.

I appreciate your attempts at innovation, and your poem looks nice. However, I personally don't think that a nice-looking poem makes for an excellent poem, deserving of melodramatic accolade, even if I think the poem is good in its own right.




User avatar
71 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 71

Donate
Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:32 pm
ashtheawesome12401 wrote a review...



Hi there. I just read this and my goodness I love it. I like how you formatted the poem.This is something I want to print out and put into my journal as a "heck yeah" piece, for me to look at for years to come.
I especially love this stanza:
"You are
a voyage, a broken mast in a drowning sea--stormy skies that sing the sirens to shore"

((wow sorry I messed that formatting up, I am so sorry.))
But yes please keep writing, I'm going to read more of your works soon.
Have a good day!




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 53
Reviews: 33

Donate

User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 93
Reviews: 216

Donate
Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:38 am



Woah! pomp that piece you wrote up there - it's really something! It's really really adorable! Congratulations for writing such s wonderful poem ;)

Fangirl~




User avatar
284 Reviews


Points: 4250
Reviews: 284

Donate
Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:35 pm
RubyRed says...



There's nothing here...




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 238
Reviews: 28

Donate
Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:20 pm
Ivywater wrote a review...



Oh my god, that was one of the most beautiful thing I've every read. It's so descriptive and wonderful... words can't express. Here I am attempting to write a review but with nothing to change.
Just wow....so amazing. I don't know how people like you can be so talented.
My favorite part was most definitely:

you are
a magician, a trickster, a lover
of the sky; you steal the sun;
you dance with danger's pommen;
you trample on the wind


Let's just hope this is long enough to count as a review....




User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 264
Reviews: 11

Donate
Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:49 pm
Nightshade27 wrote a review...



First of all I would love to start off by saying that I love how descriptive this poem is. Its very moving and simplistic but yes still very powerful. I loved the repetitions and the imagery you’ve created; the word choice was exquisite. I also loved the metaphors you used them perfectly and I could very easily picture this in my head. I thought that it was very heartfelt and beautiful. Now for the actually review. I honestly thought I was perfect, your grammer and punctuation we spot on and I wouldn’t change a thing. The format is intriguing and still it allows the audience to read it easily.
My favorite line was

“you are
a voyage, a broken mast in a
drowning sea – stormy skies
that sing the sirens to shore”

It was so beautiful and descriptive, it has a very descritive natural feel to it. Keep writing because I would love to read more





Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres