z

Young Writers Society



2 Blank Verses

by IamI


—stormheart

The stormwater crashes upon gray stone shores

And I am calm; let loose the wolves of day,

Let them bite at unflavored misty light,

Let them try and fray my wit, unright my

Anchored ship of mind. Cast me to the pit

And no scream nor prayer will you attend.

Cast me the spears, no shriek will find thine ears,

No shrill plea will rend my blade-bloodied lips,

No rictus of fear will your gaze descry.

=

Your ears will hear with fear dire songs of fire

And of rising ash and of life renewed.

Watch as I rise, a cinder bird calling,

Wordless ice blades, unforgiving war calls.

I sing my air as I climb the black walls,

Painting the cold empyrean shell ember

As I soar to wave racked shores where I dwell.

—A Lament

In the hour of my end, bereft of light

And hope a memory of misty white,

In this frost-winter of my dimming soul

Where the sun shines like cold-glimmering coal,

I wonder at the cruelty of my god,

To smite me healthless in unthought anger.

Woe betide my empty, bedridden frame!

What did I do to be thusly struck lame!

The pain! Enough to wish to be unborn

Aflames my skin like a thousandfold thorn.

Like airborne drops in a sky-straining stream

My life, drop by pained drop assimilates

Into oblivion, empty gaping black,

In life’s bright glass a dark roaring crack.

Lo, what hope is there for judgement true

When the judges are those who our making rue?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 100
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:50 am
hashes wrote a review...



Hey there! This is Ashwin dropping in with a review. I hope you find it useful.

I found both poems extremely well - written. Like Haraya states below, the use of words like 'descry', 'rictus', 'betide', 'thusly', 'Aflames' and 'thine' gives your poems a very medieval patina and this compliments their themes perfectly. It reminds me of poems like Invictus (by William Ernest Henley) and When I Consider How My Light Is Spent (by John Milton). So Kudos to you for that!

You did mention that your poems were going to be in iambic pentameter and while you did stray away from the meter on several occasions, I don't think that's a major issue per se. There is no real need to confine your creativity within the rigours of meter. That's not to say that you should eschew it either - meter can often shape the rough contours of how your poem will read but don't let it limit you - many great poets willingly change meter within poems to convey something of value to the reader.

In the line: "And of rising ash and of life renewed." - The second "of" seems unnecessary. I understand that it is necessary to complete the full pentameter; but it looks like something I'd do away with.

I also felt the line: "Aflames my skin like a thousandfold thorn." - didn't read right. It felt as if it didn't flow naturally from the line preceding it though they do deal with the same subject. Maybe there's some issue with the grammar? (I'm not sure though!)

Also as MoonIris points out in her review, there is certainly something grammatically wrong in the line:
"When the judges are those who our making rue?"
I think you meant "are" instead of "our".

I am certainly very guilty of nit-picking here, but that's just how wonderful your poems are! I am certainly looking forward to reading more of your works.

Ashwin




User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 2400
Reviews: 91

Donate
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:10 am
View Likes
MoonIris wrote a review...



Hi IamI.
It's a nice poem although I don't know what an Iambic poem is. I understood that it's about the rhythm of the poem but not exactly what that rhythm is. I'm going to do my best to write a helpful review. As Harayata already did one about Stomeheart I'm going to do one about Lament.
Let's start with grammar.
"judgement'
I think it should be judgment.
"When the judges are those who our making rue?"
I think you meant who are making rue.
The poem it's written clearly. We can understand the melancholy of it. Although at the end it switched from pain to judgment. The change is a little sudden and it sounds odd to me. Maybe you could a line where you make the link between lament and judgment.
I'm sorry I couldn't help you with the Iambic verses more but I still hope my review helped,
MoonIris.




IamI says...


I%u2019ll to my best to explain.

1: iambic pentameter is essentially the %u2018time signature%u2019 of the poem. It indicates how syllables are in a line and which are emphasized. Iambic pentameter is ten syllables a line with every other syllable emphasized.

2: I%u2019m not sure about the spelling of judgement. I%u2019ll check.

3: no, I meant %u2018our%u2019, though I don%u2019t fault you for being confused, I scrambled the word order a bit so it would rhyme, in more straightforward English it%u2019s something like:

When the judges are those who rue our making?

That%u2019s about it. Thanks for the review!



MoonIris says...


%uD83D%uDE00



MoonIris says...


:)



User avatar
278 Reviews


Points: 18564
Reviews: 278

Donate
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:42 am
View Likes
LittleLee wrote a review...



Hey there IamI, I'm here to drop a review on your poems!
First of all, you've done a really good job. The syllable count is solid and your diction is marvellous. There are a few nitpicks I'd like to make, however:

No shrill plea will rend my blade-bloodied lips

This feels incomplete. "Rend my blade-bloodied lips" to do what? Like I said, it's incomplete. Of the whole poem, this felt the most random and out of place.

No rictus of fear will your gaze descry.

Now this was an amazing and well-written line.

Your ears will hear with fear dire songs of fire

This was lovely to read. The words seemed to resound each time the sounds were repeated. I just think there ought to be a hyphen between "fear" and "dire".

Watch as I rise, a cinder bird calling,

This was a really good image.

cold empyrean shell ember

Not a good image, in my opinion. Everything until this point shows coldness and ice, but then you say "ember". How is it related to the rest of the poem? It does sound nice, but does it have the same meaning the other words convey?

the sun shines like cold-glimmering coal

Do you mean it's black? Or just dull? if the latter, this wasn't well thought.


The rest of the lament was wonderful. There are a ton of great images, alliterations, and sounds as the reader progresses. each line was powerful and clearly well thought out. I'm truly impressed by your ability.
I hope you keep writing! Good luck!
- Lee




IamI says...


Thanks for the review!



LittleLee says...


Glad to help!



User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 424
Reviews: 42

Donate
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:50 am
View Likes
Haraya wrote a review...



Hello! Haraya here with a review.

I'm only going to give my review on your work Stormheart, since I think it would be difficult for me to give constructive criticisms for both.

I'm sorry if I may be too direct. You said in your description these poems were in iambic pentameter. In your work "Stormheart," the first line does not follow this. I will write each stressed syllable in capital letters and place slashes after every two syllables. Also notice there is one extra syllable.

The STORM / WAter / CRAshes / uPON / GRAY STONE / SHORES

"Water" and "crashes" weren't iambic. Meanwhile, let's look at the next line.

And I / am CALM; / let LOOSE / the WOLVES / of DAY,

This sounds a lot better. There are other lines that didn't follow the intended rhythm and meter, so I suggest to recheck the syllables and stresses.

The vocabulary and language you used in "Stormheart" at first seemed daunting, but after researching the words, they actually sound nice in this poem. The effect of using this language makes your poem sounds medieval, which I think is appropriate to the chivalric theme of this poem. My problem is you immediately started the poem with a metaphor, which caught me off guard, since I thought you were setting up a scene. I suggest use an introduction that would set the tone for this poem and clarify its subject to the readers before introducing a metaphor. That way, the readers can properly grasp the figurative language you will use.

"No rictus of fear will your gaze descry.
Your ears will hear with fear dire songs of fire"

In these lines, the sudden shift from enduring pain to fighting back seemed too drastic. Maybe consider breaking these lines into stanzas. That way, there'll be a more organic transition between your ideas.

That's all I wanted to point out. Hope my review helped. Best of luck to you in your future works!




IamI says...


Thanks for you%u2019re review @Haraya. My only response to your first criticism is that I should probably just get better at reading iambic pentameter and increasing my vocabulary. Your second point is one I can%u2019t really disagree with, I just need to think more about what I%u2019m saying and how I%u2019m saying it. You%u2019re third criticism is right on point. In fact, it was actually two stanzas originally but because I wasn%u2019t thinking particularly clearly I decided to make it one. I will fix this.

Thanks again!




So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookcase on the wall.
— Roald Dahl