z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Howling Storm

by FlamingPhoenix


Dark gray clouds slowly make their way

Into the dark abyss we call the sky,

Like giant waves in the ocean.

~

A howling wind rips through the air,

Disrupting everything in its path

Like an avalanche through a small town.

~

The pitter patter of rain fills the air,

A fresh smell of the water on the strong breeze,

The droplets soaking whatever they touch.

~

The dark clouds transform into a churning storm,

Rumbles so loud and booming they could frighten a child.

The light like blades slicing across the sky for a split second.

~

The storm will last until a break in the clouds,

Until bursts of sunlight strike the earth drying everything,

The freshly watered plants will bloom.

~

Until a carpet of green will cover the ground,

The new sprouts coming into the sun,

Attracting the insects to come out.

~

That the storm keep churning

Until there is a break in the clouds,

Putting it to rest for another day.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
386 Reviews


Points: 27684
Reviews: 386

Donate
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:47 pm
View Likes
Dossereana wrote a review...



So I was think for a little wile and I thought I would give you a review on this. The reviews only going to be a quick one though.

Dark gray clouds slowly make their way


okay so I love how you started this of the lines cool, but you wondering why there is a letter in bold. Okay well I just feel like that word does not quite fit the line. I will suggest a different word and really you do not have to take it at all.

make < made okay so made is my suggestion, but I have all ready said that you do not have to take it at all, I'm just say what i think of it really.
But the hole your poem is great. I read it and all the lines are just flowing so well to gather. I think that your doing really well. I don't no if I said this all ready, but really this is one of your best poems ever.
The name to this poem just drew me in. It just sounded interesting, it sounded so real and truth full. But then when I read it even more truth and real. But also wonderful. When I was reading I could just see everything happening as I read. The words kept on turning into images. Then it was like the images started moving.

Putting it to rest for another day.


I love this last line, its a great way to end the poem. my image just changed here, I could just picture you tipping that last line, but the image was a little faded. as the last line was being wrote. I always feel like you shed so much emotion into you poems, and it just feels so real.

So that is all that I can really say about this lovely wonderful poem. if I was being mean then I am really sorry pleas forgive me for it. So keep up the great poem writing. I loved this one.

I hope you have a great Day/Night

@Dossereana Out In The Sky Of Reviews






Thanks for the review Doss! I loved it! ;)



Dossereana says...


Glad to no that.



User avatar
386 Reviews


Points: 27684
Reviews: 386

Donate
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:35 am
View Likes
Dossereana says...



I love this poem flames, I think its one of your best yet. keep writing you so much better then me.






Thanks Doss! :D



Dossereana says...


:D



User avatar
1228 Reviews


Points: 144000
Reviews: 1228

Donate
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:50 pm
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



I think this is one of your strongest pieces FlamingPhoenix! It's a really nice poem, with some nice turning nature imagery.

What I like most about the nature/storm imagery, is that it's not simply describing a stagnant or still scene, but has action within the scene itself - the storm is changing throughout the poem. It gets stormier, cloudier, and then finally "there is a break in the clouds, putting it to rest for another day". The imagery was all quite nice, and I like the few parts where you incorporated metaphors to further describe the image - like "waves like oceans", and the different personfications you used as well.

I have a few suggestions that I think could bring the poem up a level, but as is, this is a well polished piece that you should be quite proud of.

Consistency for the Sake of Flow
You did a great job keeping your punctuation and capitalization methods consistent in this piece, so it looks very clean on the page, and doesn't trip the reader up by getting distracted by stray capital letters. One thing that could be a little more consistent is line length. The middle 3 stanzas have quite long lines compared to the rest of the piece, it's not crucial that everything is the same length, but I do think might improve the flow a bit.

Watch Your Repetition that Isn't Instrumental
Repetition or repeating phrases/words/themes is a great tool to really push forward a theme, or create a nice sounding piece. By repeating something it makes the phrase stick out in the reader's ear, so they really remember it. The issue is, that if you use repetition that is not instrumental to creating a clearer picture/story/structure, then it can stick out in a negative way. I noticed that a few times you used very similar phrasing in the poem, for instance, this line: "The storm will last until a break in the clouds," and "That the storm keep churning until there is a break in the clouds," are almost identical and really don't say anything new.

You spend most of the poem describing the clouds, but I wonder if you could take some of the cloud imagery out to replace with less repetitive imagery about the feel/insects/temperature/sound etc. you've already got some of that, but developing the diversity and word choice of the piece a bit more I think would take the poem up a notch.

Double check the last stanza
My last suggestion is that the first line of the last stanza just doesn't quite read right to me - it's a fragment sentence, and really doesn't flow logically. "That the storm keep churning" I think should be changed to something like "the storm will keep churning"...

Another tip, is that I think incorporating a bit more rhyme and hyping up those metaphors is going to make this poem stand out even more. Poetic devices are like the chocolate chunks of poetry - they aren't vital to an ice-cream sundae, but they are the pieces that make it memorable. Hope that helps!

Well done again!

~alliyah

Image






Thanks for the review alliyah, it really helps, I will use this in my future poems, and I will see if I can get around to fixing up this poem!



User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:06 am
View Likes
Atticus wrote a review...



Hey there FlamingPhoenix! Tuck here for a review. Let's jump into it!

So right off the bat, one of the things I most enjoyed was your use of strong vocabulary that helped bring this poem to life. One of my favorite sections was here, where you described lightning as "the light like blades slicing across the sky for a split second".

Moving into some critiques, I think it would be fun for you to play with a different order. To begin, I would remove the last stanza altogether. The second to last stanza ends the poem on a happy note, brings it full-circle from the cycle of destructive, dark patterns to something hopeful, a new beginning, a fresh start. The last stanza is repetitive without its repetition serving a purpose, and is simply unnecessary.

But beyond that, it did seem somewhat disjointed and unconnected throughout. You had a stanza here about thunder, a stanza there about lightning, a stanza over there about rivers—you get my point. There didn't seem to be a logical flow or connection between them, and it made it come across as disjointed. I would review each of your stanzas and mess around with different orders, trying one, seeing how it flows and how logical it seems, and then making edits and improving from there.

And finally, I noticed a disjunct rhythm throughout the stanzas. I couldn't pick up on any noticeable patterns besides the three lines for each stanza, but the length of each varied. It could be a powerful tool if you were to experiment with creating a pattern there and seeing how that affected the flow of your poetry. Again, these are just ideas to experiment with if you're looking to improve and make this the best it can be.

Overall, this was a spectacularly done poem, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it! I hope my review was helpful to you and didn't come across as too harsh, since my intention was only to point out potential areas of improvement both for this poem and for your poetry in general. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to resolve any issues as soon as is possible! Have a great day!
Image

~Tuck






Thanks for the review Tuck! I alway like to hear what you liked about the pome, and also knowing what needs to be fixed, so this helped me a lot!!



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 810
Reviews: 103

Donate
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:38 pm
View Likes
shieldmaiden wrote a review...



Hey Phoenix!!! Glad to see this. I didn't know that you could write such excellent poetry along with such fantastic prose! This was really a wonderful read. The description was off the charts. I was only thrown off by the lack of rhyme, but I know that there is a lot of poetry that focuses on rhythm instead. This piece totally fits the bill. Hope you are able to get your inspiration back soon and continue writing about Viper. Can't wait to read more of your work!
-Sheildmaiden






Thanks for the kind words Shield! I'll try and get the next chapter done soon.



User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:56 pm
View Likes
Lib wrote a review...



Hey Flames!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight! I'm here to give you my very special review. Because if I look at this review, from my , it'll be my first review with my fifth review star! :D

Alright!

So great poem here. I can definitely see the imagery here, and you describe everything really well too, which is amazing. Your wording is very well done as well. And honestly, all the metaphors, are like... Wow. They're really great. A pat on the back from me, Flames! :smt023

Like giant waves on the ocean.


Over here, wouldn't it be "in" instead of "on", since waves are in the ocean.

Well anyways, I'm done with my review! Hope this helped in some way, and I can't wait to see more from you soon.

And as always...

Keep on writing!

~Liberty






Thanks for the review Lib! It really helps, and I'm glad you liked the poem, I'll go fix the mistake right away! :D



Lib says...


Not a problem. ^^



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 499
Reviews: 12

Donate
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:56 pm
View Likes
riotheselcouth wrote a review...



Hiiii Phoenix, I'm Riothe Selcouth <3 Am just a new member of this YWS so you know what I'm going to do is to critique your beloved poetry.

Here. Actually am attracted and easily attached by those people who loves making a poetry, so when i've read your first poem, i admire you. Tonight, your new released poem touches my attention.

Your words, not just only a word, your whole poetry rather are full of metaphors.

"Dark gray clouds slowly make their way
Into the dark abyss we call the sky,
Like giant waves on the ocean." TBH, WHILE I'M READING THESE LINES THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG, IT HURTS. I DUNNO BUT THAT'S WHAT U FEEL. HAYSSS.

HEYYY, KEEP ON WRITING OKAY? SPREAD YOUR WORDS AND THOUGHTS (:HAVE A NICE DAY

—RIOTHE SELCOUTH 🍂






Welcome to YWS!
And thank you so much for your kind words, it makes my day when someone likes what I have written. :D




shady and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws
— Tuckster