Dragon Knight Legacy - Chapter Three: The Dragon Who Speaks

by Dynamo

It was sunset when a dragon was flying under a seaside cliff. The dragon was relatively small compared to how big most other dragons are. It was the size of a newborn dragon; about two months old give or take. It's scales were a grayish shade of black, but when the sunlight reflected off of it the scales seemed to shine a bright gold color. Its wings stretched out eight feet on each side. Its body was only five feet long from head to tail. Its eyes were as bright and yellow as the sun.

The small dragon seemed to sniff the air curiously, as if it was trying to find something. It thought to itself, Curse it all. If I don't find him soon, bad things are bound to happen.

The loud roars of older dragons filled the air as the little dragon fluttered to a stop in mid air. Many older, brown dragons with spines growing out of their backs and large horns coming out of their heads came at the black dragon from above. They wasted no time surrounding the small dragon, which seemed annoyed by their presence.

The bigger dragon of the group flew up in front of the small dragon. "You have treaded into deep waters, little dragon. This is our territory." The dragon was talking with its mouth, but the words that came out didn't sync up with the way its mouth was moving. "If you value your life, you'd better leave before my comrades start to feed on your burnt corpse."

The young dragon didn't seem frightened at all, if anything it was showing annoyance with the older dragons. "Do you have any idea who you're speaking to?" The brown dragons seemed startled. It's voice was loud and deep, that of an older, wiser dragon. "If you value your lives, I suggest you all leave me alone. For I am on an important mission that would make your lives insignificant."

It was the older, brown dragon's turn to be annoyed. "You don't scare us, whelp. We are many, and you are but a lone dragon. We will over run you and you will be begging for mercy by days end." The older dragon let out a nerve-breaking roar, signaling the other dragons to attack.

The other dragons charged towards the little dragon with ferocity. The little dragon flapped its wings downwards with unnatural strength for something its size. With a big whoosh, the dragon lifted up out of the way of the other dragons' attacks. Some of the dragons couldn't stop in time and collided with each other. Without time to react, the little dragon rocketed towards the leader of the pack of wild dragons.

The light from the sunset gleamed on the dragon's scales, giving it the look of a noble gold dragon, as it opened it's talons and readied it's fangs. The little dragon was so fast that by the time the other dragons realized what was happening, their leader was already caught in the small, black dragon's death grip. The little dragon's talons and fangs were ripping through the bigger dragon's flesh on its neck. The dragon roared in agony as the smaller dragon started to crack its spine with its amazing, yet unexpected strength. A loud crack came from the dragon's neck as it fell limp and plummeted to the jagged rocks below. The black dragon, after watching its victim fall to its death, looked at the other dragons with a frightful glare. The other dragons got scared and fled as fast as they could. Without another word, the little dragon turned around and continued flying.

After that encounter, the dragon was contemplating on what it should do next. Bet then, it heard a loud boom noise ahead from the top of the cliff. It sounded like a big object crashing through weak rock. The dragon looked up and saw the cliff edge, where the noise came from, had given away. Two figures fell off the edge, the rubble from the cliff along with them. With the dragon's keen eyes, it could see that one of them was a bulky, black armored and green skinned creature. The other was a long-haired human with four wings. As soon as the dragon focused its attention to the human, it let out a gasp and spoke in disbelief in its dragon tongue. "By the spirits, it can't be!"

The black dragon was engulfed in a magical, bright yellow fire. It was no longer visible through the flames. When the fire dispersed, the dragon was twice its original size. Its wings were big and bright, because the sun reflected the most off of them. It's fangs and talons were longer, sharper, and more curved than before. Small spines grew out of its strong tail. Its legs were strong and well formed with muscle. When it breathed, scalding hot air flared from its nostrils. It was only a little bigger than the dragons it encountered, but it was noticeably stronger than any normal dragon would be. The dragon flew as fast as it could towards the falling human.

Kai and the pig creature were falling to the bottom of the cliff. Kai wanted to scream at the top of his lungs, but when he opened his mouth the air he needed to shout was sucked out of his lungs. The demon, however, had no trouble screaming for his life. As Kai watched the water rushing closer and closer, his vision started to get blurry and his heart stopped beating altogether. Before his vision got too blurry to see the jagged rocks before him, he saw a black figure fly right underneath him. Kai got winded when he landed on something hard and scaly, yet the impact wasn't enough to fatally harm him. He gasped for air after overcoming the shock of his impact. Kai could feel his heart beating one hundred miles per hour. As his vision slowly came back to him, he could hear the scream of the pig creature getting slightly quieter in the distance, until it suddenly stopped after a loud, crack sounding splash.

When he regained his senses, Kai shouted, "Good god, I'm still alive!" He struggled to sit upright on the black, scaly surface he landed on. He was too shocked to try and figure out what he landed on.

"Of course your alive." The voice Kai heard was loud and deep. Before he could figure out where it came from, a long, dragon's head emerged from in front of the lump of scales that Kai had landed on. Kai felt himself jump and nearly slid off. "I couldn't let someone as important as you fall to your death." Hot air brushed past his face when the thing spoke. Kai saw that the movement of the creature's mouth didn't line up with the words it was speaking. The head turned to looked forward. It was then that Kai finally noticed that he landed on a dragon and was riding on it's back right now.

Kai curiously looked over the side of the dragon. He saw the ocean rushing under him about a quarter of a mile below. Kai winced at his new-found fear of heights and clutched his arms around the dragon's neck. The dragon said, "You're not going to fall. You're safe now, little one."

With fear, Kai asked, "Are you going to eat me?"

The dragon made a deep, rumbling noise, as if it was laughing. Kai could feel the vibrations from inside the dragon. "That fall shoock you up quite a bit, didn't it?" The dragon started to climb in altitude towards the top of the cliff. "No, I'm not going to eat you."

"Then why did you save me?"

The dragon looked over its shoulder again. Its golden eyes seemed to pierce into Kai's soul. "You'll see, young Dragon Knight."

Kai was surprised by the dragon's reaction. Although he was curious as to why the dragon thought he was a warrior from the stories he heard as a child, Kai was still too shaken up to ask the dragon about it.

A few long, uncomfortable moments went by before Kai decided to ask, "What's your name?"

The dragon replied, "My name?"

"Yes. You do have one, don't you?"

The dragon hummed in deep thought. Kai could feel the vibrations from inside the dragon. Finally, it replied, "Draco."

"Draco?"

"Yes." The dragon turned its head again. "And you?"

Kai turned his head to advert his eyes from the dragon's deep gaze. "Yang." He felt a slight sense of satisfaction from speaking his new name.

"Interesting name for one so young. But suiting none the less."

Yang smiled from what the dragon had said. A few more silent moments went by before Draco asked, "Tell me, Yang, how was it that you fell off that cliff in the first place?" Yang recited what had happened before Draco caught him. He left out the part about being injured and dumped outside of Kuri City. When he was finished, Draco said, "That's quite a story. But you didn't tell me why you were out there in the first place, or how you got your wounds."

A hard lump formed inside his throat. He was reluctant to reveal that tidbit of information. "I'd rather not talk about it." There was a hint of bitterness in his voice when he spoke.

"Very well. I will not press you for answers. You've been through enough as it is." The dragon continued to fly to the top of the cliff. Yang felt like he could trust this dragon.

"Don't be so open with this dragon. He doesn't seem like the type you should trust."

Yang replied, "But he saved my life."

Draco turned his head and looked at Yang. "Did you say something?"

Yang was startled by the dragon's question. "No. I- I didn't say anything." He stuttered as he spoke. Draco Shuddered his shoulders and turned his head in front again.

When the two of them made it to the top of a cliff, the sun had already set and the sky was turning black. Yang was glad to be on solid ground, but he regained his sense of pain when he slid off of the dragon's back. When Yang got off of the dragon's back, Draco was once again engulfed in a magical yellow fire. This sudden outburst of flames startled Yang, who stepped back a few feet. When the flames disappeared, Draco was small again.

Yang asked, "How did you do that?"

Draco replied, "I am not a normal dragon. I have powers that are unnatural to that race." The dragon was gazing into Yang's eyes, as if to identify a hidden truth about him. Yang could feel something pricking him inside the back of his head. But, he decided to ignore it because hr could barely feel it. He had too much on his mind to even notice it.

"What type of dragon are you, to have such strange powers?"

I am the Earth Dragon of Light.

Yang jumped in surprise when he heard another voice in his head besides the normal one. The voice originated from the spot in his head where he felt the pricking. Yang was frightened at the fact that the dragon was speaking to him through his mind. Out of confusion, he wondered how the dragon was able to perform such a feat.

Because not many can understand the way I can speak.

Yang was even more freaked out than before. Not only is the dragon speaking through Yang's mind, but it was also reading his thoughts. "How- wh- wha.." Yang was at a loss for words. This unexpected turn of events left him dumbfounded.

I understand how this is making you feel. In their eyes, humans never expect such things to come from a savage beast.

Draco walked around Yang towards the forest. He stopped beside Yang and looked at his wounds. The dragon's eyes emitted a bright gold aura, which somehow healed Yang's injuries instantly. Yang was now able to stand up straight without feeling pain. Draco looked up at Yang's face.

Come. There is much you need to know, and little time to tell.

The dragon walked to the forest edge and disappeared behind the bushes, leaving Yang alone on the cliff. For a few seconds he just stood there, unsure of what he should do. Then he started to follow after Draco.

"What do you think you're doing? That accursed dragon can read your mind. He definitely can't be trusted. He'll find out everything about us!"

Yang frowned in annoyance. He ran into the dark forest to catch up with the dragon, ignoring what he was told.

Griffinkeeper says...

*Frowns*

Dragons=Fantasy Fiction

Really...

*Moved*

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:53 pm
Black Ghost says...

I really enjoyed this chapter of your story. Though I think you could have described all the dragons at the begginnig and their names, unless they weren't that important. Great job overall.

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems