12+

Dragon's Soliloquy

by DragonNoir

Inspired by William Shakespeare’s “Hamlet”, Act 3, Scene 1

“To love, or not to love?” that is my question.

Is it considered noble to withstand

The arrows and slings of deplorable fortune

Or to take up arms against this sea of troubles,

And by opposing, end them?

To die, for me, would be to sleep. Nothing more.

And by a sleep I mean to say that I end

The heartache and the thousand sorrows

Faced throughout this hideous life

That my flesh is heir to; it is a completion

For which I beg devoutly.

To die, for me, would be to sleep. To sleep.

It seems like an easily-accomplished wish,

It seems like nothing holds me back from

This sleep of death in which dreams are endless

And mortality is merely an illusion,

Where I may finally rest, and grow to miss those

Which I have left behind.

That is the calamity of this life long,

For it is me who bears the whips and scorns of time,

The oppressor’s wrongs, the proud Human’s torture,

The pangs of my despised image, love’s painful delay,

The insolence of authority and the spurns

That I beared from those I called ‘parents’,

While I prayed and begged with no one listening.

Why was it me enduring this fate? Why was it me

Grunting and sweating under a weary life,

While others lived happily, carelessly and contently

In their false riches of paper notes with famous faces

Depicted without smiles, despite revolutionary ideas

Which have made the world around us?

Thus conscience makes cowards of us all;

And thus my resolution has come to one of

A sickly consequences and a pale cast of thought,

Whilst my friends have no idea of the turmoil

Within my mind and soul, a turmoil which would

Make any man lose their mind.

With this regard, I turn awry from Nature and her rules,

I lose all sense of living, how soft is my heart!

Beautiful Fox! Don’t cry over me,

For I am not worth your valuable tears.

Author's Note: This is what happens when Shakespeare inspires you to write a soliloquy for an OC. I'm curious what you people think. I kind of had a fitting character with a depressing past so I had to use it. I hope you liked it! P.S. I hate the formatting on here.

Atticus says...

I would love to review this BUT

Unfortunately I cannot do poetry. I'll definitely check out your other chapters and do some more reveiws, though.

DragonNoir says...

This isn't necessarily poetry, but do as you wish :)

Feltrix says...

Yeah, I'm the same as MJ. Or should I abbreviate your name as Tucker?

Atticus says...

MJ works :)

Virgil wrote a review...

This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review on Review Day!

So I found this to be interesting at the least. I don't believe that I've ever reviewed a soliloquy before, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm assuming that in the Author's Note, OC means Original Character. I wanted to first point out that you're able to screenshot your work and then publish it to avoid problems with the formatting, though that takes a bit more effort than usual. It's nice that you've been inspired by Shakespeare, though I'm unsure how this soliloquy holds up when the reader doesn't know who your OC is.

I'm going to assume that it's in the novel Que Sera Sera that this has been categorized with, though I'm not too sure. As a standalone work, though, this is okay. It seems that a soliloquy is a bit of a ramble or monologue from a character, which I found to be interesting. And, while I liked reading this, I'm unsure if this is effective. I'm wondering if the majority of the writing for your character that's talking here is always in this tone. If so, then it's probably appropriate for them to be going into an inner monologue.

If not, I'm not sure if this fits your character to have this. Overall though, I found this to be a fun read that has a strong vocabulary and touches on some deeper-than-the-surface subject matter. I agree with SubSubLibrarian in that I enjoy how this gives some more background to your actual character and that is what I believe this is most effective at doing. At the same time, that's only if your other work is similar in tone and atmosphere to this, because it wouldn't work if you're writing a silly fantasy novel and now you're writing a soliloquy for one of the characters.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

SubSubLibrarian wrote a review...

Nice note. I slightly agree. The formatting is what it is.
I like your soliloquy. I was intrigued to read it. I didn't realize soliloquies were an option, although, of course, there are no restrictions on what a person can write on here really. Great choice of inspiration. Shakespeare is pretty much the master of soliloquies and Hamlet is definitely one of his best works. I like what you said about your character with a depressing past because it kind of gives some background. This soliloquy is really very relatable. I believe that everyone at at least one point in time feels this way. Sometimes we want to fade away and just cease to exist. We feel as if we are worth nothing, or very little.
Your capacity for vocabulary is wonderful. You use real Shakespearean vocab. and manage to make it sound interesting and smooth. I just have to say I'm impressed with your skill.
Keep writing! I really enjoyed reading this. I hope to read more of your work, at least if the rest is as good as this. I didn't really find any mistakes, but if there are any, they are most likely minor and other people will probably point them out to you.
Stay Gold! SubSubLibrarian out. (drops mic)

DragonNoir says...

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it! I'm glad you liked it! :)

What can I say except your welcome? I'm glad I liked it too!

Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream