z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence

Que Sera Sera Chapter 1

by DragonNoir


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and violence.

Chapter 1:

A scream sets the busy streets of London into disarray. The loud sound of a car engine working on full-power filled the air as a dusty Ford Focus barged through the pavement, running many pedestrians over. Suddenly, a tall, muscular teenager in a black outfit stepped in front of the car. The outfit had a scale pattern on it and his face had two slashes of what looked like black paint. Each slash went from one side of his face and finished after covering his eyes. At his left thigh was a purple sword, shaped similar to a samurai sword, but strangely glowing. The boy opened his eyes as the car sped up towards him. The teen’s eyes were a golden yellow with slitted pupils.

The car kept coming at him. The driver saw him as nothing but just another victim. That was until a loud “SMASH” resonated in the surrounding area. The car’s rear was lifted into the air, with the wheels still spinning extremely fast, while the front bumper was held down by the teen’s leg. The driver stared into the teen’s eyes in horror, a sadistic smile was the response he got. Suddenly, a woman ran up to the car and smashed the car window, before unlocking it and forcefully pulling the driver out. The supernatural boy stared at her, whilst still having his leg on the front bumper. She had black, long, French Girl-styled hair and beautiful grey eyes.

The boy lifted his leg from the car’s bumper, causing the car’s rear to fall back down. The woman had the driver pinned to the pavement as she put handcuffs on him. She used a radio transmitter and notified her police associates. She turned to the boy, who was still standing behind her.

“You’re lucky I was passing by,” The lady said. “I wonder how long you’d’ve stood there with your leg on the car.”

“I’m surprised how you’re not asking me how the hell I managed to do that.” The boy stated.

“I don’t think I’d like to know.”

“In case you’re curious, my name’s Dragon Noir, madam.” Dragon leaned over and kiss the lady’s hand.

“Jane Silvester, nice to meet you, Mr Noir.” She said, saying his name almost mockingly. “What’s with that paint on your face?”

“That’s not paint; they’re scales.” Jane raised an eyebrow. Dragon smiled pervertedly. “You can have a feel, if you li-” Jane laid a clean slap on Dragon’s cheek, but he didn’t seem to feel any pain - or he was good at hiding it. His head didn’t even turn. He simply looked her in the eyes. “You’ll have to slap harder than that to even make my head move, let alone make me feel any pain.”

“Well that’s impressive. I wonder how much steroids you had to take to get into this shape.”

“Absolutely none.” Dragon flexed his bicep and winked. “These are 100% natural muscles, wanna touch-” Another slap. This time, ten times harder, Dragon only gave a quiet chuckle. “You’re getting better, but it’s still not enough. Try harder next time.” Dragon moved away from her as a pair of huge black wings extended from his back. With one mighty flap, he was gone. Jane gazed after him in wonder.

This boy… She thought. How does he do this?

“Dragon, you fucking knob, what did I tell you about interacting with civilians?!” Fox yelled at him. Dragon fell to his knees.

“Sorry Fox… She was so pretty though…” Fox smashed her fist in his face.

“That doesn’t matter! Besides, I’m pretty!! Compliment me!!” Dragon looked up at her and tilted his head.

“What is there to compliment?” The loud slap resounded in the large flat apartment. Oh, did you actually think I was going to make them live in some awesome futuristic base with tons of highly advanced technology? Pff.

“Ouch…” Dragon moaned. Fox sat back onto her double bed, her large fluffy tail curled onto her lap. Fox work opaque black tights, along with a short orange and white skirt. Her chest and shoulders were clothed by a darker orange and white skin-tight suit. Her arms had brown long gloves on, which lasted until the elbows. Her eyes were a burning amber and her long hair was dark brown.

“Dragon, tell me honestly,” Fox said. “Did you really fall in love with her?”

“Pff,” Dragon sat down next to her. “Me? Fall in love? Never!” Fox raised her eyebrow. Dragon sighed. “I don’t know what love is, let alone can I feel it.”

“Dragon, I understand how you’re feeling. You were abused by your parents for five years straight and you were sent to some messed up asylum where the scientists turned you into this, but c’mon; you’ve got to start living!” Suddenly, Fox’s eyes widened with genius. “I have an idea! I’ll invite two friends of mine and we’ll have a party! Maybe we could even find you someone you can love!”

“Fox, I don’t think that’s a very good idea. Love isn’t something you find on Google. Besides, you really don’t have to do this.”

“I know. That’s what makes me such a good friend.” Dragon smiled, exposing his sharp fangs. He never really does that, unless he truly likes somebody.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Well, I caught up with that other novel much quicker than I expected. So here I am!

Nit-picks:

smashed the car window, before unlocking it and forcefully pulling the driver out.

This seems a bit too orderly in a list like that. Short sentences - with some jarring punctuation like this - would make it sound more chaotic.

“What is there to compliment?” The loud slap resounded in the large flat apartment. Oh, did you actually think I was going to make them live in some awesome futuristic base with tons of highly advanced technology? Pff.

Forgot the closing speech marks here.

Fox workwore opaque black tights


“Did you really fall in love with her?”

This seem a bit sudden. It seemed like he was just coming onto her.

“I know. That’s what makes me such a good friend.” Dragon smiled, exposing his sharp fangs. He never really does that, unless he truly likes somebody.

The bit after the speech should be on a different line cos for a moment I thought Dragon said this.

Overall:

Character: I really like both your main characters so far. Just to make sure I'm reading them the way you're intending. Dragon seems arrogant and stand-offish but willing to have a laugh. Fox seems concerned, and maybe a little petty, but overall quite nice. I do think the drop about Dragon's backstory seemed a little forced. Maybe feed those details separately in the first few chapters, or at least not all in the one paragraph.

Setting: I'm a bit confused by this. My gut reaction is that this was some sort of simulation? But then I thought maybe Dragon was telling a story to Fox and she interrupted by hitting him. But in that case I'd wonder why he doesn't seem to have faced any consequences such as jail, or have newspapers outside his window wanting to see the dragon boy.

Plot: This wasn't really where I expected this to go, but I like it. Dragon seems to have a pretty serious life, so I assume some high risk jeopardy will come into it at some point, but having it start with a human problem of being emotionally unavailable is really lovely.

Flow: This is much smoother than Ice Queen for some reason. Maybe you've just polished this more idk

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 125
Reviews: 61

Donate
Sun May 28, 2017 1:22 pm
Feltrix wrote a review...



Hello! Feltrix here for a review.

I. The first paragraph goes by WAY too quickly. Try drawing it out, and sort of set the stage before you introduce all this action.

II. It seems like the streets of London would be thrown into disarray by the Ford Focus that's wantonly murdering people instead of the one person screaming. And can we have more on the Ford, please? I think you can and should expand it into a paragraph.

III. So, we've got our mysterious teen. When you introduce him, it seems like you're saying "And this is the part where we describe an important character," which, I realize, you are. Still, it would be better to give a rough idea of what he looks like and then add little details later on, sliding them into the action.

IV.

"SMASH"
Things don't actually sound like smash. You could say "there was a hideous crunch" or something, but you make it sound like the car sounds like smash when it crashes into our young ....I'm just going to call him the protagonist until it's proven otherwise.

V.
with the wheels still spinning extremely fast
You can cut the
extremely fast
, because the audience assumes that if the cars wheels are still spinning, they're spinning fast. And it's best to avoid the use of adverbs.

VI.
The driver stared into the teen’s eyes in horror, a sadistic smile was the response he got.
There should be a semicolon instead of a comma, or put a when at the beginning of the sentence.

VII. After someone speaks, don't capitalize unless it's a proper noun. For instance, "You're lucky I was passing by," the lady said.

VIII. Is there any particular reason Dragon smiles pervertedly at Jane? Is he just creepy sometimes? And the slap seemed like things escalated quickly. Also, Jane just watched Dragon stop a car with his foot. What makes her think that slapping him will do anything?

IX. Where did Fox come from? Dragon was just flying through the air and then suddenly Fox is yelling at him. I think you should make it more obvious that Jane is pretty, because that wasn't emphasized enough.

X. You should probably just stick to one exclamation point, or things start getting excessive.

XI.
Oh, did you actually think I was going to make them live in some awesome futuristic base with tons of highly advanced technology? Pff.
I cannot stress this enough: Don't dress the reader! And really don't address the reader and admit that you are making the characters do things. Like live in futuristic bases. If you cut the 'I was going to make them' then it would be sort of fine.

XII.
“Dragon, I understand how you’re feeling. You were abused by your parents for five years straight and you were sent to some messed up asylum where the scientists turned you into this, but c’mon; you’ve got to start living!”
It seems like you're trying to cram a lot of backstory into a small place. Don't. Just let the smaller, more vague amount of info that Fox would naturally say come out.

XIII. If dragon thinks it's not a good idea to have friends over because he doesn't think he'll fall in love with them, then why was it so easy for him to 'fall in love' with Jane?

XIV. How does Fox know Dragon interacted with civilians?

XV. Was Jane an off-duty cop just kind of sitting around with her police-issue radio? And I don't speak from experience here, but I'm pretty sure it would be both painful and difficult to punch through a window.

I think you've got a really good story here, but you need to slow things down. There aren't really any descriptions of scenery or transitions between scenes. Also, we could seriously use more information before jumping right into the action scene. And do we have any idea of the motive behind a car randomly running people over? So, to recap: good story, but we need more descriptions and transitions, as well as some character development.

Keep writing!

Feltrix




User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 144
Reviews: 126

Donate
Tue May 16, 2017 12:15 am
papillote wrote a review...



A word of warning before you start reading my review. I really don't like superheroes/mutants novels because I feel that novelists always tap into the same vein, re-writing the same story ad nauseam. I have found that, additionally, those novelists' style is poor to indifferent at best.
Did you read Kelly Meding's Metawars series? It's a good example. It's not bad but it's not life-altering. It's the kind of books I would read in the bath because it's rather pleasant but I won't cry if I get water on it.
Since I don't like this genre, I went nit-picking through your first chapter. It makes me appear very critical but it wasn't that bad, really, I only want to help you improve on what you already created.


« A scream sets the busy streets of London into disarray. »
-> that's the only part that's in present tense - why?

« The loud sound of a car engine working on full-power filled the air as a dusty Ford Focus barged through the pavement, running many pedestrians over. Suddenly, a tall, muscular teenager in a black outfit stepped in front of the car. The outfit »
-> repetition makes that part sound awkward

« had a scale pattern on it and his face had two slashes of what looked like black paint. Each slash went from one side of his face and finished after covering his eyes. »
-> doesn't sound right

« At his left thigh was a purple sword, shaped similar to [shapes like] a samurai sword, but strangely glowing. The boy opened his eyes as the car sped up towards him. The teen’s eyes
 »
-> same problem with the repetition

« The car kept coming at him. The driver saw him as nothing but just another victim.
-> is the narrator omniscient?

« That was until a loud “SMASH” resonated in the surrounding area. The car’s rear was lifted into the air, with »
-> the "with" is not necessary

« the wheels still spinning extremely fast, while the front bumper was held down by the teen’s leg. The driver stared into the teen’s eyes »
-> why not "the boy's eyes" instead?

« in horror, a sadistic smile was the response he got. »
-> your protagonist feels more scary than the mass murderer in the car

« Suddenly »
-> too many "suddenly"

« a woman ran up to the car and smashed the car window, before unlocking it »
-> it being the door, I suppose?

« and forcefully pulling the driver out. The supernatural boy stared at her, whilst still having his leg on the front bumper. She had black, long, French Girl-styled hair and beautiful grey eyes. »
-> I think "long black French Girl-styled hair" looks better. And what does French Girl-styled mean?! I'm French, and a girl, and my hair has been long, then short, then halfway between, and brown, and blond, and red, and purple (it has also been none to be straight, curly and somewhere in between.

« The boy lifted his leg from the car’s bumper, causing the car’s rear to fall back down. »
-> I imagine it would crash down rather loudly

« The woman had the driver pinned to the pavement as she put handcuffs on him. She used a radio transmitter and notified her police associates. »
-> "to notify her police associates" sounds more logical

« She turned to the boy, who was still standing behind her.
“You’re lucky I was passing by,” The lady said. “I wonder how long you’d’ve stood there with your leg on the car.” »
-> Considering the sadistic smile and the fact that he calls himself a dragon, I imagine he would have eaten the driver - or maybe roasted him.

« “I’m surprised how you’re not asking me how the hell I managed to do that.” The boy stated.
“I don’t think I’d like to know.”
“In case you’re curious, my name’s Dragon Noir, madam.” Dragon leaned over and kiss the lady’s hand. »
-> "kissed"

« “Jane Silvester, nice to meet you, Mr Noir.” She said, saying his name almost mockingly. »
-> "said"/"saying", urk
-> I'm always amazed at how polite all those people are. My mean and petty alter ego keeps whispering in my ear that maybe it's so authors have names to save them from a deluge of pronouns.

« “What’s with that paint on your face?”
“That’s not paint; they’re scales.” Jane raised an eyebrow. Dragon smiled pervertedly. “You can have a feel, if you li-” Jane laid a clean slap on Dragon’s cheek, but he didn’t seem to feel any pain - or he was good at hiding it. His head didn’t even turn. He simply looked her in the eyes. “You’ll have to slap harder than that to even make my head move, let alone make me feel any pain.” »
-> Who is being sadistic now?
-> Is your narrator omniscient? Because now, he seems to be clueless.

« “Well that’s impressive. I wonder how much steroids you had to take to get into this shape.”
“Absolutely none.” Dragon flexed his bicep and winked. “These are 100% natural muscles, wanna touch-” Another slap. This time, ten times harder, Dragon only gave a quiet chuckle. “You’re getting better, but it’s still not enough. Try harder next time.” Dragon moved away from her as a pair of huge black wings extended from his back. With one mighty flap, he was gone. Jane gazed after him in wonder.
This boy… She thought. How does he do this? »
-> It this free indirect speech? because if so, you have tenses' issues. If not, those are punctuation issues. Either way, it's not clear.

« “Dragon, you fucking knob, what did I tell you about interacting with civilians?!” Fox yelled at him. Dragon fell to his knees. »
-> I have multiple problems with this. First, I assume there is an ellipsis. When we change time and location, please at least skip a line. Second problem: I absolutely didn't get why Dragon was falling to his knees? Do they have some kind of sub/dom relationship going on?

« “Sorry Fox… She was so pretty though…” Fox smashed her fist in his face.
“That doesn’t matter! Besides, I’m pretty!! Compliment me!!” Dragon looked up at her and tilted his head.
“What is there to compliment?” »
-> Here is a rule: quote, unquote, close paragraph.

« The loud slap resounded in the large flat apartment. Oh, did you actually think I was going to make them live in some awesome futuristic base with tons of highly advanced technology? Pff. »
-> Ok, you address the reader directly. Careful, that's risky.

« “Ouch…” Dragon moaned. Fox sat back onto her double bed, her large fluffy tail curled onto her lap. Fox work opaque black tights, along with a short orange and white skirt. Her chest and shoulders were clothed by a darker orange and white skin-tight suit. Her arms had brown long gloves on, which lasted until the elbows. Her eyes were a burning amber and her long hair was dark brown. »
-> I assume you mean "wore", not "work".
-> Those people never wear fat jeans and ratty tee-shirts, do they? I wonder if they have PJ versions of their superhero outfits to wear to bed?

« “Dragon, tell me honestly,” Fox said. “Did you really fall in love with her?” »
-> Whhhhhhhat? The L-word, already?! Either foxy lady has a crush the width of the Atlantic on her masochistic teen dragon or we are watching teen-superman on the playground!

« “Pff,” Dragon sat down next to her. “Me? Fall in love? Never!” Fox raised her eyebrow. Dragon sighed. “I don’t know what love is, let alone can I feel it.” »
-> Shouldn't that be "if I can feel it"? And those people sure do a lot of eyebrow-raising...

« “Dragon, I understand how you’re feeling. You were abused by your parents for five years straight and you were sent to some messed up asylum where the scientists turned you into this, but c’mon; you’ve got to start living!” Suddenly, Fox’s eyes widened with genius. “I have an idea! I’ll invite two friends of mine and we’ll have a party! Maybe we could even find you someone you can love!” »
-> Woa, TMI. This line didn't feel the least bit natural. And why does she absolutely want to find him a girlfriend?!
-> "widened with genius" just doesn't look right. "widened/lit up with a flash of inspiration" would be better because "genius" describes a character's character while an expression reflects a temporary state (of mind)

« “Fox, I don’t think that’s a very good idea. Love isn’t something you find on Google. Besides, you really don’t have to do this.” »
-> Right, love isn't something you find on Google. But is that a general comment on the impossibility to find love while actively searching for it? Or does Foxy organize her parties on an online search engine?

« “I know. That’s what makes me such a good friend.” »
-> Close paragraph. Please.

« Dragon smiled, exposing his sharp fangs. He never really does that, unless he truly likes somebody. »
-> Present/Past tense. Choose. I suspect that it's because while you can remember to tell that tale in past tense, DragonNoir as a character is very present to your mind. That's good, you have to love your characters but be careful.




User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Wed May 10, 2017 9:48 pm
Atticus wrote a review...



Hey there, MJ here for a nice quick review :) I'm a little out of my element here, but I'll do my best to provide you with some helpful tips

One thing that immediately stood out to me was how you changed tenses. You began with a present-tense reference, but then immediately switched to past tense. I would make sure that everything is either in present tense or past tense, because it can be a little disorienting to read.

The driver saw him as nothing but just another victim.

Did the driver try to avoid him? What does he mean 'another victim'? This sentence strikes me as odd and slightly confusing

The driver stared into the teen’s eyes in horror, a sadistic smile was the response he got.
I personally feel like this could be worded better as two sentences or as something like "The teen smiled at the driver, relishing in the gaze of horror the driver gave him," but if you want to keep it this way you would need a semicolon after horror instead of a comma.

The supernatural boy stared at her, whilst still having his leg on the front bumper.
'Whilst' doesn't really fit here. It would sound much better to say "The supernatural boy stared at her, his leg still on the front bumper."

I wonder how much steroids you had to take to get into this shape.”
This seems a little out-of-place. It could be taken as some light flirtation, but it seems more straightforward and matter-of-fact. Even so, that's a fairly awkward thing to say to someone you just met, especially someone with such superhuman powers.

Oh, did you actually think I was going to make them live in some awesome futuristic base with tons of highly advanced technology? Pff.
Why is this sentence even in there? It also seems awkward and completely unnecessary. I would take it out.

“I know. That’s what makes me such a good friend.” Dragon smiled, exposing his sharp fangs.
The way this is positioned, it makes it sound like Dragon is the person talking. I would separate these two thoughts because they come from two separate characters.

Overall, you have the bare bones of a skeleton right now. There are some sentences that seem unnecessary and even like a hindrance to the story, but other than that there are very few sections where there are obvious shortcomings. One other point I want to mention before I leave you with this review is that you had little backstory and explanation of the characters, and when you did it seemed rushed and didn't really fit. I would build up to the action a little more, because right now you thrust the reader into the climax of the plot with too little exposition for the story to really be compelling.

Best wishes,
MJ




DragonNoir says...


Thank you for your feedback! I'm sorry for the mistakes I made and I'll try to make a better Chapter 2 :)



Atticus says...


Never apologize for mistakes in a writing piece! There is no right and wrong way to write (haha, see what I did there). I purely offered suggestions. Don't feel obligated to try and write better. I wasn't saying it was a horrible story and a waste of my time, because it really wasn't. It was a great way to spend my twenty minutes, and I appreciate the time and diligence you're putting into this.



DragonNoir says...


Oh, thank you. It's just your review seemed quite negative and I thought you were disappointed. Next time, try maybe adding a bit of positivity to your reviews! (Coming from a person who cannot be described as positive in any way, shape or form) P.S. Your pun was so terrible you should be punished (Who's got the better pun now, eh?)



Atticus says...


Yeah, I'm kinda infamous for doing that. And your last comment sparked a funny story and I'm gonna tell you even though I know you don't care. So my history teacher HATES puns, you literally get in trouble if you make a pun. So me and a few of my friends were talking to her about that rule and I unintentionally asked, "What's the punishment," and I didn't mean to make a joke at all, but then I ended up getting in trouble and yeah. So welcome to my school :)



DragonNoir says...


Oh my God, that actually made my day lol. I feel sorry for you, hope it was only a detention :)



User avatar
65 Reviews


Points: 11426
Reviews: 65

Donate
Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 pm
occymay wrote a review...



Hello, occymay here to review your work!

The first thing I want to mention is that I love the concept of this piece, that the main character is some kind of dragon. I probably find this really interesting because I love dragons, so dragon boys are definitely something I want to read about. However, I don't think it was presented as well as it could be.

You thrust the reader directly into action with no explanation of the character or worldbuilding but gave us sort of irrelevant information/descriptions which can bog down first chapters. Maybe I dislike it because it's not how I like my chapters to start but I would recommend starting before the action or making the action more intense. The thing with the character Fox can wait for the next chapter, it has no hold on the reader, won't make the reader want to read more.

I want more reaction from Jane and the crowd, this guy just stopped a car with his leg and has wings! That's not normal in London. Unless these kinds of people are normal in this world than I would add in whispered conversation about how he looks, if they are then we need to be told because otherwise, it's confusing. The first chapter of a book is so important, you want to create tension, I would like more description of the car tearing through London. A good way to do that is to incorporate the senses, the smell of car fumes, people lying on the ground, those kinds of things.

Also be careful because the dialogue sounds at times unrealistic. A tip I recommend is to read the dialogue out loud and consider if it would be said in an everyday conversation.

I think this could be a really good piece but it needs work. I'm sorry in this sounds harsh but I think this piece has real potential and I would love to see it grow, if you do post more I would love to know. Happy writing ^_^




DragonNoir says...


Thank you for your feedback! I'll try my hardest to make this the most amazing novel ever written! :D




To have more, you have to become more. Don't wish it was easier - wish you were better. For things to change, you have to change, and for things to get better, you have to get better.
— Jim Rohn