z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Que Sera Sera Chapter 10

by DragonNoir


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

Chapter 10:

“I want to see Jane,” Fox was very persistent; persistent to the point Ryan was getting quite annoyed. He finally sighed and looked Fox in the eyes.

“Ok then,” he spoke. “You can go to see Jane-”

“Jeez, took you a while,” Fox moaned.

“... You can go to see Jane, but you’ll do so in the company of my bodyguards. I can’t lose Jane. Not yet anyways.”

Fox sighed heavily, but agreed to his terms. As she stood up, her legs started shaking a bit, although Fox swore to herself that she felt no fear. She and Ryan walked out of the ward and into the corridor outside, where two large men awaited them. The corridor was made of what seemed like iron and had many writings on the walls, like a wartime bunker. Ryan nodded at the two guards, who returned the gesture and led Fox to where Jane and the others were.

As soon as Fox entered a different hospital ward, she saw Jack standing in the far corner of the room with Dragon sitting on his shoulder, while Jane was sitting on one of the hospital beds. She stood up from her bed with a warm smile on her face as Fox entered.

“Fox!” she exclaimed. “You’re awake!”

Fox walked up to her slowly and with a calm expression, tension built with every step she took. Ryan gazed at her uncertainly. When Fox was just in front of Jane, she slapped Jane right across the face, the sound resonated in the ward. Fox managed to slap her once more before she was fully restrained by the guards, while Jane had fallen back onto the hospital bed behind her. Jack and Dragon ran over to Jane.

“What the fuck was that about?!” Jack demanded.

“She was sent to kill me and Dragon!” Fox yelled back.

“Why’d you need to slap her twice though?”

“Once for wanting to kill us and a second time for having a crush on Dragon!”

This sentence froze the entire ward, Jane gazed up at Fox, her eyes wide open.

“W-who told you?” she asked.

“Not even a fucking sorry?!” Fox replied, struggling out of the bodyguards’ grip. “Just who the fuck do you think you are?!"

Dragon howled loudly, trying to stop the argument. Jack looked at Jane, pure detestation radiating from him.

“And here I was, thinking you were better than that,” he scowled at her.

“I had no choice!” Jane argued. “If I had refused, I would've had nowhere to stay and would've probably died of starvation by now!”

“So you think that validates your desire to kill us?!” Fox screamed. “What kind of crime did we commit anyway?!”

“You revealed our existence to the world!” Ryan yelled. “You have now put us in danger and now innocent humans are in danger! That's what you did!”

The room remained in quietude for a while, until Fox decided to break the silence:

“Are you able to turn Dragon back into his normal form?” she asked Ryan, struggling out of the bodyguards’ hold.

“Let her go,” Ryan ordered; the guards responded accordingly and loosened their grip on Fox. She fell onto the floor, but picked herself up quickly to not lose face.

“Answering your question,” Ryan continued, “I can’t guarantee he’ll return to his original form; I can’t even guarantee that he’ll survive. Although the chances that he’ll die are mediocre, he most likely will not look exactly like he did before he changed into a little dragon.”

“I’m willing to take the risk,” Fox said, determination filled her voice so much that Jack and Jane looked at her in confusion.

“Why would you want to put Dragon’s life at risk?!” Jack asked abruptly.

“Because you don’t understand how close we are together! Look at him now: do you think we can have any chance of living even a falsely normal life? I am not doing this for my benefit, but for our benefit.”

Jack didn’t say anything back.

“Does Dragon at least agree with this?” Jane asked. Everyone’s heads turned to Dragon, who jumped down from Jack’s shoulder onto the floor. He sat down on the floor like a little puppy and nodded his head. Fox smiled.

Thank you, Dragon.

***

Ryan and a few other men entered the chamber on the corridor near the Hospital Quarter. Fox, Jack and Jane sat on the chairs outside the chamber, waiting for the results; they were trembling in anticipation. Will he survive? Or will their hopes and dreams be shattered like glass? They wanted to know the truth, but did they really want to know it? Fox’s eyes closed in pain as she heard Dragon’s high-pitched squeals. Jack put his arm around her and cuddled to her, but nothing could erase the sound of Dragon’s pain out of her mind. Jack himself was closing his eyes in agony. Fox felt the howls filling her head, slowly turning her insane. No matter how hard she tried, the wails were still replaying in her head; she was almost sure she lost all sense of emotion. There was nothing more left of her emotions; just the void conscience of being responsible for this agony. Next to Fox, Jane put her fingers in her ears in a fruitless attempt at cutting herself away from the squeals.

Suddenly, the melody of pain stopped. Fox’s eyes widened.

Ryan slowly walked out of the chamber, along with the other men. Ryan was the only one who remained with the trio, while the others returned to the Hospital Quarter. Ryan looked at Fox and saw truly how much she cared for Dragon. A silent tear tumbled down her cheek. Ryan looked her in the eyes, ready to tell her the truth.

“He’s alive.”

Fox leaped out of her seat and ran into the chamber, in relief, happiness and anticipation. Inside the room was a large white cloud of hot steam, Fox could faintly make out a human-like figure in the steam. Soon, the steam cleared away, and Fox gazed ahead of her, her mouth gaping in surprise.

As Ryan had predicted, Dragon's appearance has changed. Now, he had two medium-sized horns coming out of each side of his head, and he looked much taller and stronger than before. His sword was still at his side, glowing a royal purple hue. He looked up at Fox, his eyes were now a tiger orange. Dragon’s classic smile played across his lips.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” he said. “Please welcome, Dragon Noir V2.”

Author's Note: Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed this new chapter! Although Dragon almost died, I can't guarantee he won't die later... *evil laugh*

Either way, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I look forward to any comments you might have!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:04 pm
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, Dragon. I've been checking YWS religiously waiting for this chapter, so I'm glad it's finally here!

I just went back and had a brief look over the first chapter of Que Sera Sera, and I feel like I have to applaud how much your writing has improved over the course of this story. You're so much more cohesive now, far more polished, and you've improved your sentence control and grammar to no end. There's still a lot for you to work on, but it's a joy to see how much you've come on in such a short space of time.

This, too, is one of the most successful chapters so far. I'll go over what I liked and what I didn't, then I'll do a summing up.

“Ok then,” he spoke. “You can go to see Jane-”


Two things. I don't like 'spoke' as a verb; it feels awkward. I think 'said' would be far better.

Another tiny nitpick is that I think you should change 'Jane' to 'her'. Seeing as Fox already uses Jane's name, I feel like it would be more natural if Ryan used a pronoun rather than repeating the name again.

“... You can go to see Jane, but you’ll do so in the company of my bodyguards. I can’t lose Jane. Not yet anyways.”


'Anyways' feels way too informal. I feel like 'not yet' would be fine by itself.

When Fox was just in front of Jane, she slapped Jane right across the face, the sound resonated in the ward.


Loved this moment. There's a sneaky comma splice here though: you should have a full stop after 'face' rather than a comma.

“Once for wanting to kill us and a second time for having a crush on Dragon!”


I like the placing and the feel of this line, but Fox is generally so brash and uncouth that it seems strange for her to say 'having a crush on' in this context. If she's angry, would she not try to trivialise Jane's affection for him by being more vulgar?

Jack looked at Jane, pure detestation radiating from him.


If you want to communicate his hatred, use a more powerful verb than 'looked'. 'Glared', 'scowled' or 'glowered' would do fine.

“I had no choice!” Jane argued. “If I had refused, I would've had nowhere to stay and would've probably died of starvation by now!”


I'm pretty confused by this. Surely someone with her skillset would've had other options if she was sacked? And to be working on a case like this, I have to infer that she's been in the job (which I'd imagine offers a good wage, given how specialised it is) for a pretty long time, which means she surely isn't so broke that unemployment would push her below the poverty line.

Another problem with the bold is that it feels like you're absolving her of blame too much. If she is telling the truth here, the objective reader can see that she didn't really have much choice in all this. However, I think it would be a lot more interesting if she had had a choice, and it was only after agreeing to kill Fox and Dragon that she realised she couldn't go through with it. I much prefer seeing characters make bad decisions rather than being forced into them, because the former actually shows they have flaws. The latter doesn't, or at least not to the same extent.

“So you think that validates your desire to kill us?!”


Overly formal. It doesn't suit her, especially given how angry she is. Something like '"so you think that's an excuse to kill us?", or a simple "You think that's an excuse?" would work better.

“You revealed our existence to the world!” Ryan yelled. “You have now put us in danger and now innocent humans are in danger! That's what you did!”


I do see why an intelligence agency would be eager to kill Fox and Dragon/remove them from society given how anomalous they are, but I don't get why 'innocent humans are in danger' as a consequence of them revealing themselves. I can't see the link. Am I missing something?

“Answering your question,” Ryan continued, “I can’t guarantee he’ll return to his original form; I can’t even guarantee that he’ll survive. Although the chances that he’ll die are mediocre, he most likely will not look exactly like he did before he changed into a little dragon.”


Delete the bit I've struck out; it's not necessary. I'm not sure 'mediocre' is the word you're after, either. I usually see it used as a value judgement, as in 'a mediocre night out' or 'a mediocre lasagna' - using it in this context makes it seem like Ryan is wishing Dragon's odds of dying were less mediocre, i.e. higher, so it's a bit weird. 'Moderate' might be a better substitute.

“I’m willing to take the risk,” Fox said, determination filled her voice so much that. Jack and Jane looked at her in confusion.

“Why would you want to put Dragon’s life at risk?!” Jack asked abruptly.

“Because you don’t understand how close we are together! Look at him now. Do you think we can have any chance of living even a falsely normal life? I am not doing this for my benefit, but for our benefit.”


A few things to note.

1) I like that Fox dives straight in and agrees to the operation. It fits with her personality and characterises her well.

2) There's something repetitive and stilted about Jack's dialogue in this quote. It's hard to pinpoint the exact problem, but it feels to me like it's only there to set up Fox's response. Have a look at editing or rephrasing it.

3) I don't think Fox's line about 'doing it for our benefit' would be enough to silence Jack. However you look at it, she's decided to risk Dragon's life because a) she misses him and b) his current form is inconvenient. Why doesn't Jack call her out for that? Especially considering that she hasn't even consulted Dragon at this point!

4) I've struck out bits that I think should be deleted. Cutting down on the amount of info surrounding dialogue can both tighten up the pacing and reduce the amount of telling. For the sake of clarity, I'll paste the extract again with the changes:

“I’m willing to take the risk,” Fox said. Jack and Jane looked at her.

“Why would you want to put Dragon’s life at risk?” Jack asked.

“Because you don’t understand how close we are! Look at him now. Do you think we can have any chance of living even a falsely normal life? I'm not doing this for my benefit, but for our benefit.”


the melody of pain stopped


'Melody' is an odd choice. A melody suggests tunefulness; it's something pleasant to the ear. The squeals of a pained dragon are neither tuneful nor pleasant. Something like 'the squealing stopped' would be better.

Fox leaped out of her seat and ran into the chamber, in relief, happiness and anticipation


We don't need the bold! Stop clarifying! *Squirts you with spray bottle*

her mouth gaping in surprise.


If her mouth is hanging open, we know she's surprised! *Sprays you again*

Overall

1) I enjoyed the chapter, especially the first part of it. Fox's characterisation remains strong, though I still feel like I'd struggle to describe Jane and Jack's personalities to someone. Jane in particular needs work given how key to the story she is.

2) I think your story would benefit from more limitations and rules in regards to what science and magic are able to do. At the moment, there are none, which means you can get away with anything; Dragon was reborn with no explanation, and now he's been restored to humanoid form with no problems at all. An unregulated magical system is bad news, because it means that whenever there's an issue, Magic Can Fix It. This removes conflict and makes everything too easy.

Here's an article about creating rational magical systems. I'd recommend giving it a read.

3) I agree with MJ that it's strange Dragon wasn't anaesthetised. If there's a reason that he has to be awake for the procedure, you might want to allude to it.

4) I am glad to have Dragon back in humanoid form, but I think you give into temptation with his reappearance. It's too glamorous. If we're supposed to believe that he's just undergone an operation that could've killed him, it might do to have him groggy and out of it for a while. If you decide to change it so they anaesthetise him, he'd take a while to come round and be pretty spaced out for hours after. If you decide against the anaesthetic, he'll still have been in extreme pain for hours on end; it's hard to believe he wouldn't just collapse and sleep the moment the op was over. He wouldn't be back to normal the moment he woke up.

Exploring repercussions from the operation is a good way to humanise him, too. If you dedicate time to his recovery, we'll get to see him being vulnerable. It'll also make the operation less of a quick-fix solution; at the moment, it feels like a spontaneous plot device designed to reinstate the status quo with a click of the fingers (see what I said in point 2). I want to feel like there's some kind of cost to the operation. Even if he'll be as good as new in time, I want to see him struggle to get there. Make him pissed off and bed-ridden for a while. Make him ache from head to toe. Make even walking around the facility an ordeal for him. When I had my appendix out, I ended up crying like a baby because it was such a struggle to even walk to the bathroom - god only knows what recovering from bodily transformation would feel like!

My point is, make sure he isn't just back on his feet in a heartbeat. Make it realistic. This is a chance for character development. You've skimped on realism for the sake of action before, and that's one of the bigger flaws that I want to see you work on in future. That and building a rational system of magic.

Hope this helped! I always enjoy reading your work, and you really have come on leaps and bounds since the first chapter of Que Sera Sera. Sorry about the delay, by the way; I just couldn't into the reviewing mindset over the last few days.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




DragonNoir says...


Thanks for your feedback! I'll make sure I work on realism more, I've already kind of got the whole magic thing worked out. Either way, I'll make sure I improve. Thank you, once more, for your support and reviews!



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:57 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Woot! I get to capture a chapter before it leaves the green room :D

Nit-picks and nice moments:

This sentence froze the entire ward, Jane gazed up at Fox, her eyes wide open.

Should be a new sentence between "ward" and "Jane". Well, technically. I do comma splice all the time (like, on purpose), so who am I to judge. Just so you know though.

Dragon howled loudly, trying to stop the argument.

D'awww. Poor Dragon :P

“You revealed our existence to the world!” Ryan yelled

Oops, forgot he was here. You might want to keep us up to date about him once or twice in this scene.

Although the chances that he’ll die are mediocre

That kind of makes it sound like he wants Dragon to die. I guess that was his original purpose, but in the rest of this conversation it seemed like he was showing compassion.

He sat down on the floor like a little puppy and nodded his head.

Awww, I almost don't want him to change back :P

Overall:

Character: I loooove Fox so much. She's so cool! It's also really cool to see Ryan's motivations, which I think are totally understandable. I think it would have been good to have a conversation with Jane while they waited for the results to see how she got to a point where she considered herself in love with Dragon.

Setting: Given it's the same place as last time, not much is necessary. A few details here and there would be nice but I've never minded that much about setting so meh.

Plot: Interesting... Now that we have Dragon back as he was (ish) I wonder what he'll have to say about Jane. He seemed to like her, but does he feel emotions enough to be able to reciprocate love? How does Fox fit into it if he does? She seems to love Dragon in a platonic, familial way, and it'll make me really happy if you have that shown to be of as much value as Jane's romantic love. Can't wait to see where you take this, please let me know when the next chapter is up :)

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




User avatar
561 Reviews


Points: 31500
Reviews: 561

Donate
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:15 pm
Atticus wrote a review...



Hey there Dragon! MJ here as promised for a short little review
One or two nitpicks:

“Let her go,” Ryan ordered; the guards responded accordingly and loosened their grip on Fox[ I don't think that a semicolon fits there since those two sentences aren't very closely related. A period would probably be better, or a different conjunction.

Will he survive? Or will their hopes and dreams be shattered like glass?
To keep this in the past tense, I would suggest changing will to would.
Inside the room was a large white cloud of hot steam, Fox could faintly make out a human-like figure in the steam.
[/quote] After steam it should be a semicolon since those are two separate ideas/sentences.

On to the story itself:
The beginning of the story seemed to be written pretty much flawlessly, or at least to the point where there weren't a lot of mistakes I could catch and then appropriately correct. I would also like to see an explanation of WHY Dragon suddenly became smaller, since that hasn't been provided yet. Ryan would probably know why, and I would think that Fox would be at least a little bit curious to understanding exactly what had happened so that they could return him back to his usual size.

And wouldn't Dragon be numbed for the procedure? Again, there is very little information given (and I would like a bit more detail regarding exactly what's going on, and it seems pretty likely that Fox would ask so she could know the risks of the procedure), but Ryan seems like a fairly advanced doctor to be able to pull this off. I find it hard to beleive that he would opt to do it without some sort of painkiller/knockout.

Other than that, I can see that your writing is improving every chapter! Soon, there won't be anything left for me to review :) I love seeing the more 'human' side of Fox and her emotional responses to Dragon's pain and disabilities. She seemed especially in character in this chapter, and it gave the reader a bit more insight into her personality. Great job on this, and don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions! I can't wait to read the next chapter :)

Best wishes,
MJ




DragonNoir says...


Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you're liking it! Don't worry, there will be more explanations in the next chapter (I think?). I'll try my best to fix my mistakes next time! Once more, thank you for your feedback!




People with writer's blocks should get together and build a castle.
— Love