Chocolate brown - your worst enemies and my best friends

by DivergentDemigod

Your nails were untrimmed, dirty even.

Your hands a bit calloused at the ends 

but soft otherwise,

all I wanted to do was grab them.

And so I did.

I grabbed your hand,

and it lay between us on the desk-

intertwined

My hands bigger than the average girl's,

in your even bigger ones.

You didn't seem surprised by my suddenness

- was I that obvious?

Mind racing faster than light

Did you want this as much as I do? 

I seemed to be asking silently.

I did it all on instinct,

regretting every passing millionth of every second 

lots of possibilities running in my mind.

Staring intently at the desk in front.

But then you whispered my name, 

rolling the 'R' in that cute way you always did,

I looked up and into your warm gaze,

to everyone you must have looked cool - collected and calm,

but your eyes, a mysterious chocolate brown 

-your worst enemies and my best friends- 

betrayed you, as usual

and I could say,

it did affect you.

Maybe not as much as me

but it did and somehow,

in that moment it was enough for me.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:35 am

Hi there DivergentDemigod! Niteowl here to review this poem.

Overall, I think this piece has a strong focus. By zeroing in on a single moment, it feels both unique and relatable.

My main critique is related to grammar and other small things. The punctuation seems haphazard. Sometimes it doesn't exist where it should grammatically, and other times it's there when it shouldn't be, creating a comma splice (e.g. the comma at the end of the third line). In the interest of not wasting too much time on grammar, I'll leave you to check out Punctuation in Poetry and strongly consider punctuating like you would in prose (sentence punctuation). This is generally the easiest to read and makes your meaning the main focus of the piece. If you want more grammar help, let me know, but otherwise I'll move on.

Did you want this as much as I do?

I seemed to be asking silently.

The last line here is weak as is. You don't totally need it, but if you want something there I would make it stronger with "I asked silently."

I did it all on instinct,

Staring intently at desk in front the desk in front of me .

Some typos here.

But then you called my name,

It's kind of weird that he's calling her name when they're sitting next to each other. "Said" could work, but that's a little weak. Maybe something like "whispered" would make more sense in this setting. I like the bit about rolling the R. It adds a unique touch to the piece.

and I could say,

it did affect you.

Maybe not as much as me

but it did.

I agree with herbgirl that your ending is weak. Maybe you could replace it with some action by the narrator. For example, maybe she squeezes his hand tighter, seeking reassurance that he does feel the same way. Or maybe she relaxes her grip a bit, feeling more confident that her feelings are recriprocated. Maybe she smiles and holds eye contact, or blushes and looks down. Whatever you go with, I think action would show more and be more interesting as an ending.

Overall, I liked the idea of this poem, aside from some nitpicky things. Keep writing! :)

Thank you :)

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:19 am

Hey there! Alright I like the ideas you have here a lot; the beginning of a cute high school romance is pretty relatable to most, and I like how the female character made the first move. Girl power, woo! I like it!

Let's see: I get that your formatted this a specific way, but I'm not in love with how you presented the parts of the poems. The stanzas are fine, but I don't really like how you kept the individual lines. For example, the first two lines, to me at least, seems like they'd flow a lot better if they were all one line, since the length of the lines really varied throughout the poem.
In addition, some of your lines seem really awkwardly worded, including the first two lines as well.

"Your nails were untrimmed and dirty,
but I didn't care at that moment."

Even that way, still being in two lines, it seems to flow a lot better, at least to me.

In addition, the lines "your hands a bit calloused at the ends but soft otherwise" and "my hands brought than the average girl's in your even bigger ones" seemed to be too wordy, and felt too long. I'm not sure why you didn't separate these two lines like you did with other ones, but I think that you'd better cutting down some of the words to make it a simpler idea. Such as "your soft hands and calloused fingers" or "my small, girly hands in your larger ones." It's a little easier to understand the lines themselves, and to keep the poem flowing.

Also, I think you typed in the fourth line, "all I wanted to do was grab it" should be read as "all I wanted to do was grab them."

Overall though, I really like this poem! It's really cute! I hope this review helped a little at least!

Thank you :)

deleted868 says...

You're very welcome :)

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:15 pm
herbgirl wrote a review...

Hello! herbgirl here for a review!
i'll start off by saying i think i can relate to you on this poem. Hand-holding is very significant to me due to events that have occurred rather recently, so i was rather delighted to come across this sweet little poem detailing what my mind has been on lately. Now, since i think i might understand the emotions you are trying to transmit here, let me give you a little advice.

Your nails were untrimmed

dirty even, but I didn't care.

The opening line here grabbed my attention, because it describes a beautiful imperfection, which i'm always a fan of. However, you finish the statement off by adding "but I didn't care." i felt this kind of ruined the mood. When writing, you should always strive to show and not tell your character's emotions and opinions, and here you blatantly state these. It sort of lowers the standard of the poem from high level thinking (can the reader understand what your telling them through metaphors or imagery?), to lower level thinking (this is what the character is thinking and why). i suggest simply removing that phrase from the sentence. i don't feel it is necessary, and as i said, sort of lowers the level. The fact that the character still grabs the hand proves that she didn't care. i felt this could be employed in a few other places in your poem as well, lines four and five of the first stanza could be shown and not told, and line three of your last stanza as well.
Quick question before i move on: what is up with your third stanza? i think you made a couple of grammar or spelling errors which ultimately made it very confusing. You should probably read through it again, fix any mistakes.
Now, your last line.
Maybe not as much as me

but it did.

i didn't feel this was a good way to end. You are basically saying that there is not much hope for reciprocated love here. Now, i don't think that's a bad way to end a poem, but the way you do it is rather unpoetic. Again, telling and not showing. Be a little dramatic! Perhaps use a metaphor to explain how unaffected the other character was. Make sure that final has a bit more punch than "well, at least he seemed surprised."
Anyways, sorry if that sounded harsh! i really do like the idea you have for this poem. Work on showing and not telling, and i think this piece will be very good.
herbgirl

Thank you! This helped a lot I'll sure try on improving my imaginary skills :)

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn