This work has been locked

Gift from an angel

by Apehdavid2

I was drowning,

Heart pounding,

I was between life and death

I felt a presence

The presence was represented as a circle of bright white light with the inner, pitch black

I was blinded by the light

I tried screaming but my head was under water

I felt dead for a moment

In honesty, death is bliss

In the next moment I was rescued by the circle, it took a form like that of an angel

I assumed, maybe, this is my guardian angel.

I asked why was I rescued?

He said it was because he does good for the living

It was his sole purpose

I thought ; wow he must be the best angel humans have

Like looking at ones reflection through a clear river, he saw through my thoughts clearly, he replied with a surprisingly different answer than I expected

he said he was the most hated among humans, he said we are groomed from birth to despise him consciously and subconsciously.

I managed to look at his eyes it was pure intentions in his eyes they were as apparent as the day break

I defended humans like a soldier rescued by the enemy and still accuses the enemy of wanting to kill him

I said ,we must have a reason for our despair towards him

He said the only bad he does is make our dreams come true

He said he is hated because he removed automated ignorance from us humans

He said he is hated because he gives us ,humans, a chance to live our lives to the fullest without worry.

He said he is hated because he granted us knowledge to be Gods

All I hear is a bunch of perfect gifts to grant any one, better than life itself.

I was in awe to why an angel like this would be hated.

I was in awe to why we reciprocated gifts with hate

In my awe the angel left me.

I was still now in the middle of the ocean

overwhelmed, and ,later, died from a storm.

I eventually drowned in the middle of the ocean where I stood.

In death only one thing struck my mind ;I was happy I was rescued by an angel.

This work has been locked

LTD_MINER wrote a review...

Nice! This makes me feel like I am watching a slow descent into the darkness of a human mind. The vague imagery really brings it all together. Poems aren't meant to be closely guarded and maintained within the bounds people place on them, they should be expanded and allowed to grow with the author and the art. One in paticulary has a lot of dark imagery, which also lets me see into the mind of the author. Keep writing, understand that your art is your, no matter what other people have to say about it!

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:01 am
Rook wrote a review...

This is an interesting poem! I thought you did a very nice job giving us a narrative with high stakes, and your descriptions were at times very vivid!
I left a little confused at what the angel represented and why he is so hated and why the character ended up dying in the end. Those felt like they were important to understand for this kind of symbolic poem, and leaving without knowing their symbolism made me feel a little disappointed. However, I don't want it to be so obvious that it feels like a moral at the end of a fable. That can be a tricky needle to thread.
There were quite a few spelling and grammar errors though I don't want to spend too much time on them. One that tripped me up though and was repeated was "He said he his hated" is that supposed to be He said he is hated"?
I'm also curious about how the speaker got into this drowning situation. Was there no one else around? These questions might not be very important but I do wonder!
I hope this is helpful; let me know if you have any questions!
Keep writing,
-Rook

Apehdavid2 says...

Lol thanks for the review I see where your confusion is coming from but I think you should read in between the lines
The main idea of this poem is for the readers to see what the main character in the poem didn't . Telling you now is gonna spoil all the suspense (The angel is the devil)

Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:26 am
YP@17 says...

It is really great poem. We fear a lot to share the feelings and thoughts.
But, looking at this poem it is really different and unique.
Look I am not reviewer just reader. So, as a reader I really like this.

Apehdavid2 says...

Thank you

I enjoyed reading this poem about angels and the gift of life.The fact that people hate this angel makes so much sense,because we are taught that wanting stuff and having hopes and dreams is selfish,when,in reality,it’s what keeps our society alive.Without hopes and dreams,we wouldn’t have this world to live in.Dreams make us thrive.I loved the poem.I hope you have a wonderful and great day and night.

Apehdavid2 says...

Thanks I appreciate

Apehdavid2 says...

Should I say you got a little message out of the general message I was trying to pass
But thanks

"Perhaps it is better to wake up after all, even to suffer, rather than to remain a dupe to illusions all one's life."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening