Somebody I used to know

by Anniepoo103

You used to hold me close and send a shiver up my spine, in hind sight I see that I could have never truly called you mine.

As the lazy summer days went on, we grew closer, your smile I began to see. I loved the way we bonded, the way our conversations floated by with ease. 

Time continued to pass, slowly but surely, 

I got more serious, ready for a relationship. 

From the touch of your sweaty hand 

I knew that I would never be that sort of girl to you. 

I told myself that we could continue, 

through your problems we could make it through. 

I knew about the issues with your dad, 

How you felt as if love was an illusion, 

Something thar nobody could truly see.

I told myself that I could help, that we could make things well, 

but in secret, from your eyes, tears began to fall.

Your texts became fewer and fewer,

in person we never talked, 

I tried, but it was never quite the same 

to my weak heart, I give the blame.

Eventually I became like a ghost, 

unseen, unheard, unknown.

It was not until then that I realized, 

I have lost the person that I care for the most. 

As the months went by, I dreamed of your coming.

After four or five, I finally decided to let go.

All of a sudden, my phone became aglow. 

It was from you, somebody I used to love and know.

You asked if we could yet again be friends.

As we talked more and more, I began to smile 

once again, you were knocking on my heart's door. 

We walked through the hallways, talking about the past, I felt at home again, my hand slipped into a glove that used to be  the perfect fit. 

I got comfortable as we talked about golf, horses, and pumpkin spice, I should have known that fate was being a little too kind. 

But, we know all too well that fate is cruel.

It wants to beat and cheat any hopeful heart.

I should have expected something to go wrong because I let you in. I should have known that someone like me could never be loved.

Stupidly, I let that little ounce of hope enter my heart. 

You see, my phone buzzed again

this time from one of the girls. 

She told me her secrets, she swore that she liked you,

she said that she would like to date. 

In sadness, my heart became clouded with feelings of hatered.She talked about your jokes, how cute your smile is, all things I have seen and loved first hand. 

But you CHOSE to talk to me, 

it seems as if my love for you

has been tossed away into the sea. 

Unseen, unheard, unknown.

How can she not see how much you mean to me.

You say we can be friends, but beside me, your hand shakes, silently telling me that you want more.

I do not want to let you go, 

but somehow my sad heart seems to know

that from my loving grip, you will slip, 

right into her arms.

Even though I know what will be next, 

I choose to pretend like I do not know, 

I can not let my tears go, 

slowly down my cheeks, 

the ones that you used to caress. 

She asks if I think you will like her dress,

her hair, her smile, 

I do not have the heart to tell her that I no longer care,

for I am the one who has loved you, 

longed for your smile, 

and I have given you my heart to hold for a while.

It will be interesting to see, 

if you let her get in the way of you and me, 

will I yet again become a ghost, 

or will you see that I am the one that you love most?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:42 am

Hi there Anniepoo! Niteowl here to review.

Your description says this is based off something that just happened, so I'm not sure when you'll be ready to really edit this. Still, I'll offer my thoughts.

There's some kernels of good stuff in here that could take this beyond the typical unrequited love poem into a strong narrative piece.

I got comfortable as we talked about golf, horses, and pumpkin spice,

Lines like this are good because it helps us see what the people involved are like and what they talk about.

You see, my phone buzzed again

this time from one of the girls.

she said that she would like to date...

I'm not sure I'm interpreting this part correctly, but if I am, this is a dramatic turning point in the poem. So this girl texts the speaker, who may know about her back-and-forth with this guy, and talks about how much she likes him. To make matters worse, this happens while the speaker is with the guy believing he's into her again after months of hot and cold. What I'm curious about is what makes the speaker so certain that he will now turn to this other girl. We know that she likes him, but there's no indication that he feels the same way, at least not in the poem.

her hair, her smile,

Oh my god, I just love this line. I can almost feel this girl taunting the speaker through these text messages.

Where I think this poem could be revised is in the rhyming and the length. Rhyming is very hard to do well, especially over a longer poem, and it's rather inconsistent here. Sometimes it's couplets, other times it's every other line, and yet some lines don't seem to rhyme at all. I prefer free verse in many cases because you can then choose the strongest words as opposed to trying to cram in some rhymes. This might also help with the poem feeling too long because you can then cut lines that seem like they're mostly there for the rhyme.

Overall, given the personal nature of this poem, you might not want to edit and I completely understand. Still, if you do, I would set it aside for a while. Once you've gained some distance from the event, you might have a better idea of what can be cut and what could be developed further. I do think there are some gems in here. Keep writing! :D

Anniepoo103 says...

Thank you so much for your feedback (: I was trying to give the illusion that the girl was not very confident in herself or the relationship and felt as if it would leave as soon as if came back. I will try the thing with removing some unneeded lines! Thank you

Louisiana15 wrote a review...

Hi Annie. First off, I am so sorry for your pain. I am experiencing this as well right now. It's isn't the first time I've dealt with this, so I understand what it feels like and how to work your way through it. Please let me know if you need ANYTHING <3.

Alright, so, from that, you expressed your pain and loss perfectly. The way you write this as a story, grasps the reader so well that we don't notice any mistakes or and of the rhyme schemes: we BECOME the narrator and we settle in the narrator's mind. I have noticed that in times of turmoil, amid the chaos, our minds are more clear than we can possibly imagine: see what you wrote? It was true beauty and raw. The connection you made with yourself, your piece, and your audience was spot on.

Its length allows the reader to see the turmoil and pain you are trying to portray, but some of it seems ambiguous in the sense that some areas are stronger with the message than other parts. If you plan to make edits, I'd read it over again and find the areas you think strengthening (personally, I would say when you are talking about the boys who want to hurl--that area takes away from your poem. I know you are explaining things, but it seems out of place).

Your word choice was nicely chosen: simple, straight to the point, and powerful. I do think that you could have gone with no rhyme scheme that way you could develop the message better with a free choice of words (like "I knew about the issues with your dad,
about the love that you never truly had," is clear in message and point but "dad" and "had" seem weak). So I would look into changing the rhyme scheme or choosing stronger/more meaningful words for such cases.

By using "I," "she," and "you," you make the poem so much more personal and powerful to the reader and to yourself. In some cases, those pronouns take away from a poem, but I am glad you used them.

Overall, beautifully written and very powerful! Again, let me know if you need anything! <3

-Louisiana

Anniepoo103 says...

Thank you for the review. I will be sure to consider your advice while I revise (:

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden