The Quest for Fire - Frozen Past - Chapter One

by felistia

A cold dawn crept over the still sands of the south coast of Megalonia, casting golden rays of light across Zoltar’s scaly wings. He stirred as the sun warmed his back, driving away the damp cold of the night. Yawning, he looked around, confused. He quickly got to his paws. Where was he?

Then like a giant wave crashing upon the shore, the memories of the previous night flooded over him. The Wisp Talon chase, the race through the maze, the narrow escape from the Death Grippers and the quiet talk on the beach with Felistia. He was on the Moon Talon Coast.

Breathing a quiet sigh, he settled back onto the sand, staring out at the endless horizon of azure blue water. It was a beautiful day, perfect flying weather. If the sky stayed clear they could make it to the Ice Talon Kingdom by early morning tomorrow. They needed to get going though. It might not stay this good the whole day and he wanted to clear the Sulphur Swamps before then.

Getting to his feet, Zoltar walked up the beach towards were he’d left Emerald the previous night. He almost tripped over her before he noticed her perfectly camouflaged shape almost buried in the sand. He half smiled while thinking about how that situation would have played out. Though it was probably a good thing he hadn’t tripped over her. Who knew how she’d react to being woken up like that. He could have ended up with a tail full of her venom be accident. Probably best to wake her softly. The last thing he needed was to bitten by a startled Wisp Talon.

Carefully moving up the beach away from her tail, he gently stroked the tip of her snout. His legs were ridged, ready to spring him out of danger at a moment’s notice.

Emerald didn’t’ move, her slow, even breaths continuing. Gritting his teeth, Zoltar tapped her a little more forcefully on the nose. He leapt backwards, almost tripping on a buried tree root as Emerald shook her snout.

Sneezing twice, Emerald opened her golden eyes, “Zoltar,” she yawned, as he scales settled from flashes of white down to a soft green, “What are you doing?”

“Just thought I should wake you,” Zoltar said, shaking one of his wings. He’d somehow managed to shower himself in sand while jumping back from Emerald, “We need to start flying south to the Ice Talon Kingdom while the weather’s good.”

“Ooh,” she mumbled, blinking sleepily, “Okay then.”

“I’ll leave you to wake up. I need to check on Felistia and Shiraku,” Zoltar said, walking towards to rise Felistia and Shiraku had disappeared behind the night before, shaking his tail and head as he went. He’d never been a big fan of the beach.

He hoped Felistia was in a better mood with him this morning. Last night she’d seemed bitter for some reason. He presumed it had to do with him mentioning the Ice Talon Kingdom. She’d never talked about it much on the island and when she had, she’d always been evasive about the subject.

Upon reaching the top of the dune, he was met with an empty beach. Felistia and Shiraku were nowhere in sight. He walked further, scanning the beach and waves. Had they left?

“Morning sleepy claws…. how’s the day?” a slick voice hissed from behind him. Resting on the sand, half hidden by the shade of the trees was Felistia. She looked hot and kept glaring up at the sun in an irritated way.

Zoltar breathed a soft sigh of relief. Of course she wouldn’t be lying directly in the sun.

“Pretty hot a guess, especially for you,” Zoltar shrugged, stretching his wings to full height, so that they gleamed and shimmered like polished crystal. “Have you tried the sea. It would help you cool down?” Zoltar suggested, pointing at the sparkling blue water as he moved over to sit by Felistia.

“I hate salt, it sticks to my scales and makes them itch terribly for days before I can lick all of it off.” Felistia hissed, shaking her head.

Just then Emerald appear over the dune. Her scales had shifted to a mixture of ivory and spring green swirls. She quietly walked up to Zoltar, standing next to him as she sat down onto the golden sand.

“Hey,” Felistia said, waving a wing at Emerald, “You feeling better?”

“Yes, thank you,” Emerald said a little shyly, “Thanks for helping me yesterday.”

“No problem,” Felistia shrugged as she began to lick the sand off her ice blue claws.

“Hi guys! Glad to see you up,” Shiraku yelled, leaping onto the beach. She shook the sea water off her scales, sending it splattering over Zoltar, Felistia and Emerald.

Hissing angrily, Felistia sprang back from the shower of salty water, bumping into Emerald and sending the two of them tumbling onto the butter yellow sand.

“Oops, sorry Felistia,” Shiraku snickered, watching the two dragons untangle themselves “I brought some fish if anyone is hungry? There are huge shoals of them out there.”

“Well you are certainly in a good mood,” Felistia growled, shaking herself dry.

“I can swim again. Do you know how long it’s been since I had a morning swim in the ocean?”

Felistia rolled her eyes, “I have a feeling we’re about to find out.”

“It’s been months and you can’t count the swims in the lake. It’s not the same as salt water. There’s something about the way it tickles your gills and the currents pull at your tail. Oh, I have missed it.”

She padded back into the water and dragged out two massive silver tuna.

Zoltar’s mouth watered at the sight of the two fish gleaming in the sun.

Felistia turned up her nose, “I’m good thank you.”

She proceeded to lick the drops sea water off her scales, occasionally casting glares at Shiraku, who took little to no notice at all while she tucked into her fish.

“No thank you,” Emerald replied quickly, her scales turning a pea green, “I’d prefer a squirrel or something.”

She hurriedly rush into the forest, melting into the shadows.

“Something tells me she doesn’t like fish,” Zoltar wrinkled his snout in amusement.

“Well, I love it,” Shiraku said as she sliced a ruby red piece of fish off and popped it into her jaws.

“I kind of like it, though I personally prefer deer,” Zoltar replied, thinking back to when the Shadow Lands had been a paradise for dragons and animals alike. He hoped that the Wisp Talon Island would be similar once his tribe had moved in alongside Emerald’s tribe. He’d just have to wait and see.

Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:06 pm
Necromancer14 wrote a review...

All right! Book two, here we go!

Here's my review:

Breathing a quiet sigh, he settled back onto the sand, staring out at the endless horizon of azure blue water. It was a beautiful day, perfect flying weather.

Wonderful descriptions!

He half smiled while thinking about how that situation would have played out.

Just a small grammar thing. It should be "half-smiled" not "half smiled."

The last thing he needed was to bitten by a startled Wisp Talon.

I think you meant to write "The last thing he needed was to be bitten by a startled Wisp Talon."

Lol I thought it was funny how gingerly and careful he was because he was terrified of her venom. I also realized suddenly that he's one lone guy among several girls. I know the feeling, and it's a tad terrifying...

Of course, Zoltar is probably more extroverted than me and these dragons are all his friends. (Whereas in my case it's one of the girls is my friend and the rest are her friends, lol.)

And I'm guessing it's just as scary for a girl to be in a crowd of guys, too. I wouldn't know though, as I'm not a girl... @_@ I don't know why I'm rambling about this either...

She looked hot and kept glaring up at the sun in an irritated way.

"She looked hot"? I know you mean the temperature hot, but when I first read this I thought "Wait, What????? Did I seriously just read that?? Welp, Zoltar DEFINITELY likes her, then."

I would change "hot" to "overheated" or something like that. Or maybe change it to "seemed hot" as opposed to "looked hot."

“Pretty hot a guess, especially for you,” Zoltar shrugged,

I think you meant to write "Pretty hot I guess, especially for you" because otherwise this is another reference to attraction and Zoltar is actually insulting Felistia with the "especially for you" added on.

This was a well-written conversation! And I liked how Felistia bumped into Emerald, sending them tumbling. xD I do love some good slap-stick humor.

This whole conversation was nice! And I also liked how it subtly told the reader the diet of the different dragons.

Anyway, that's my review! I hope it was helpful.

felistia says...

Thank you for another review. :D

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:48 pm
SpiderFingers wrote a review...

I really enjoyed reading this! Your imagery and characters are very well written, and you used descriptive words that quickly pull the reader into the story's scene. Sentence parts like "a ruby red piece of fish" or "Her scales had shifted to a mixture of ivory and spring green swirls" really paint a vivid picture.

You had powerful word choice and I like how the second paragraph began with a metaphor; "Then like a giant wave crashing upon the shore, the memories of the previous night flooded over him." Your metaphor added to the story's mood too! Also, beginnings that ask questions like "Where was he?" definitely make readers curious.

All of the dragons have a notable personality and I can sense that there's a unique and intriguing backstory to each of them.

So excited to see more, keep up the good work!

~ Spider ~

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:35 am

Day 3 of the reviewathon is upon us. Hopefully I can plow through all fifteen.

First Impression: Nice little start. We have just enough continuity from the previous book to remind people of the ending of the last book without it feeling like a chore to read.

Without further ado, lets get started,

Yawning, he looked around, confused. He quickly got to his paws. Where was he?

Good to see all the surprising positions that he has found himself has effected him.

It might not stay this good the whole day and he wanted to clear the Sulphur Swamps before then.

Oh come on!! I was going to put Sulfuric acid lakes in my story and I thought that was an original idea.

He leapt backwards, almost tripping on a buried tree root as Emerald shook her snout.

Why was he so terrified? I mean he could have stepped back.

Well it looks like she's not telling us something.

I don't think I mentioned this before but I love the way you've just made the language so naturally adapt to dragons.

So the ice talon kingdom is made of freshwater ice? That should be interesting.

Cheerful Shiraku making a reappearance which is awesome to see every once in a while although she seems to have recovered kinda quick from the whole surprise of last night. I thought she'd be taking the addition of Emerald to their group a little harder.

I like how the diet has varied here to the various places they live in. Thing is though you see that lake near the Ice Talon kingdom and you'd think that Felistia would enjoy fish a bit more.

And that's it. Fairly short review to start the day.

Overall: Nice little start. I like how they seem to be forming a nice little gang at least until they fly to the Ice Talon kingdom which I'm going to hazard a guess and say will not happen in one chapter. Or maybe it will.

Anyway as always Take what you think helps and forget the rest.

felistia says...

Thank you for another review. :D

KateHardy says...

Your Welcome!!

starlitnight wrote a review...

aha, i have finally read the first chapter and i still love this series! wait, is this a book? well anyways, doesn’t matter. just a small question though, do you explain how the four meet? because i’m super curious. :) or maybe i’m just starting at the wrong part for this because i’m just confused here lol.

uhm otherwise, i see nothing wrong here grammatically! i’m not great with flow by the way, that’s why i don’t say anything about that. xD

i’m super invested in these four already and i absolutely love the way you’ve written them. i can’t wait to see where you go with them and how they grow!

keep writing these amazing works! ( ^ω^ )

~laynie<3

felistia says...

Thank you for the review. This is actually the second book in series I'm writing. I'll leave a link to the first chapter of the first book if you want to check it out. :D The Quest for Fire - Into the Mists - Chapter One

starlitnight says...

ah thank you! that explains so much xD

I'm so excited to already be starting the next book! And we're jumping right into where we left off. :D

I love the map btw. I always struggle with maps and end up down the Google rabbit hole regarding geology and cartography. Maps are super useful though to keep you on track so your world has a little more logic to it. And your series can definitely benefit from a map with all the travel Zoltar does!

The chapter did a fairly good job catching the reader up so that they can read more without feeling lost. I definitely noticed each dragon seems to have its own personality already, which helps with new readers or long breaks between reading the first book and this. I adore how playful Shiraku is, I love how gentle Emerald appears, how concerning and responsible Zoltar is as a pseudo-leader.

I'm very concerned about Felistia. She's clearly in a mood, and last we saw her, she was simply distant. We couldn't read her emotions much at all during her conversation with Zoltar. Now it's morning, and she's nothing but cranky. Which is a shame 'cause I liked Felistia in the first book, but this second one is introducing her as the exact opposite. :(

But she does need reason to either leave them or be a conflict later on. I have a feeling she'll be creating obstacles for them or... at least there must be some reason why she's behaving this way.

It's the only thing that really stood out to me. The Zoltar/Emerald scene was just so adorable, and Shiraku is such a cutie. I would totally eat fish with her except it's raw and i couldn't do that but she's adorable and I love her. That's a stark difference to last book, though, where Shiraku was usually the crank and grumbled quite a bit. Now it's Felistia!

Hopefully we get the answers we need to make sense of everyone's personalities and behaviors. I am really looking forward to reading more! :D

Jabber, the One and Only!

felistia says...

Felistia is cranky in this chapter and it does have reasons that will be explored in depth. (Hint in the title):D She going through a lot of emotions and is trying not to express them and so is coming off cranky.

Shiraku is happy in this chapter at least due to the swim. Imagine a sea dragon having not go in the sea for months. They get cranky. Lol.

Look forward to posting the next chapter. :D

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:55 am
candywriter wrote a review...

I really love this chapter! I can’t wait to read more.

What is the context around these characters? I’m longing to know more about Emerald. She sounds particularly interesting to me.

Great plot so far; having them waking up in the morning.

There are some grammatical mistakes, but I won’t police you on them.

Great imagery, good characters, and I can’t wait to read more!

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach.
— Winston Churchill